Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

I like John Houston Jr. for possible late-round consideration. 

Tuf Borland

21 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Yeah again if Miami offers 18, 25, their 2nd and a 2nd in 2021 for #2 I am pulling the trigger on that

18 - Ruggs - WR

25 - Kristian Fulton CB

2nd (Miami) - Xavier McKinney S

Something like that seems way more efficient to improving our team. I have no problem leveraging a "Can't Miss" guy for multiple high impact players

If we’re not getting 5 in this trade then it’s an absolute no

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We were robbed of two fascinating and epic Tee Higgins match ups.  That should have been Bryce Hall out there covering him in the ACC championship game, not that poor guy Grant.  And getting hurt in the Ohio State game robbed of us probably the premier WR-CB battle in this year's class.  I wanted to see if he could still run by Okudah and Hall and beat them for all those 50-50 chances.  Hopefully he's healthy again and gets a ton of man coverage from either Fulton or Stingley.

Would have loved to watch that match up.  I am hoping the Redskins can find a way to get Hall, I think he ends up selected by mid second round. The injury cost him a round,bummer for him. He is a favorite of mine!  Tee Higgins can ball. If memory serves me he and Wirfs were @volsmet crushes.

If the Lions want a QB and are afraid that another team will trade with the Skins then they might offer some trade to move up one spot.  No one is as stupid as the Skins were with RG3 but it's possible that teams will jockey for position.  Skins need some draft capital to fill the void between the first and third round.  There was some speculation recently that Rivera might try to sign some of the Panther free agents including McCoy.  Seems strange since the Skins have a deep DT pool but its possible that Rivera might want to instill the necessary values.  If so, then perhaps some quality players could get traded for other players or for picks.  Every year the Skins have so many needs that it's probably best to go bpa and use need only as the tie breaker. 

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

If the Lions want a QB and are afraid that another team will trade with the Skins then they might offer some trade to move up one spot.  

There’s no way in hell I would trust Detroit to not take Young if we swap picks.  Quinn and Patricia are on the hot seat and the team is desperate for a pass rusher. You should go check their team forums sometime. It’s actually pretty funny how many desperate scenarios they’re coming up with to try to take Young ahead of us. 

I could actually see Detroit reaching for Epenesa if they can’t trade back, similar to Oakland reaching for Ferrell last year when Bosa was off the board. 

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

There’s no way in hell I would trust Detroit to not take Young if we swap picks.  Quinn and Patricia are on the hot seat and the team is desperate for a pass rusher. You should go check their team forums sometime. It’s actually pretty funny how many desperate scenarios they’re coming up with to try to take Young ahead of us. 

I could actually see Detroit reaching for Epenesa if they can’t trade back, similar to Oakland reaching for Ferrell last year when Bosa was off the board. 

Even though Epenesa is a bigger need the Lions would be better suited drafting Okudah. 

Okudah and Slay is as potent a corner duo in the NFL as there is. 

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Even though Epenesa is a bigger need the Lions would be better suited drafting Okudah. 

Okudah and Slay is as potent a corner duo in the NFL as there is. 

I agree.  It's what I would do.  That comment was based on what I think they might do if they don't address pass rush in FA.

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Forget the forums... Look at this nonsense:

”The Cincinnati Bengals pick first overall while Washington picks second. Washington is without a head coach and coming off a disappointing rookie season from quarterback Dwayne Haskins. The health of Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa heading into the draft could play a factor in Detroit’s chances of landing Young.”

This was written and updated TODAY!

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/01/top-prospect-chase-young-declares-for-nfl-draft-with-pass-rush-needy-lions-picking-third.html

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree.  It's what I would do.  That comment was based on what I think they might do if they don't address pass rush in FA.

It's not a bad move but also not one that the fanbase nor the FO would be overly happy with. It's like us drafting Daron Payne. There were better players out there but he filled a need. Same with Scherff. 

Washington Redskins  The hire of new head coach Ron Rivera and the exit of general manager Bruce Allen has the front office structure changing, so it's tough to get a read on the Redskins. That might matter if they weren't in the driver's seat to select Ohio State defensive end Chase Young. It would be the biggest surprise in NFL draft history if Young wasn't the pick here.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2869444-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-team-by-team-2020-nfl-draft-insider-buzz

He needs to build some upper body strength but otherwise i was impressed with what i saw from this dude in the bowl games, I was mostly watching him when paying attention to their defense.  He has good range, moves like a corner, he played some slot in the mix of his activities.  Saban's free safeties are often smart dudes. 

So basically we are looking at who will be available for the second pick in the 3rd round.  I'm assuming that Rivera decides to keep Williams and they work something out.  I'm not sure any of the remaining players on the roster will be traded for a 2nd round pick.  Maybe a player swap with some lower draft picks thrown in but nothing higher than the Skins second pick.  BPA might be a WR.  That's ok because iMO the WR position is still a need to develop a potent offense.  Skins might as well take advantage of the relative value of this draft.  

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He needs to build some upper body strength but otherwise i was impressed with what i saw from this dude in the bowl games, I was mostly watching him when paying attention to their defense.  He has good range, moves like a corner, he played some slot in the mix of his activities.  Saban's free safeties are often smart dudes. 

He's really good.  Probably their best defensive player this year after Moses went down.  He plays a lot smaller than 6'1 200 though, to the point where I find those measurements tough to believe.  I think it's odd to see how often he bounces off ball carriers given how hard he closes.  He doesn't hit through them and I think it's a play strength issue.  He has the desire but not the mass.

I was surprised to see that a lot of the Alabama players looked really small this year when i started watching them closer.  Ruggs looked tiny and he's listed at 6'0 190.  Jeudy has chicken legs and an obvious lack of play strength.  And Devonta Smith looks slight.  It was a major contrast to the Clemson and Ohio State guys, who look huge.  Maybe that's why Najee Harris and Patrick Surtain stand out so much to me.  They dwarf their fellow skill players.

Watching Terrell Lewis, and concluding that there is a MASSIVE gulf between Chase Young and him.  He's got impressive size and he's a ridiculously good athlete, but he's not a good player at all.  Jennings is a far better player than him IMO.  Sees the field through a straw.  No instincts as a pass rusher or run defender.  Puts his head down and runs a wide angle.  Has huge hands but doesn't know how to use them at all.  Doesn't know how to convert speed to power.  Doesn't ever get pressure if he doesn't win by his third step.  is disappointingly bad at disrupting passing lanes given his elite height and arm length.

Let's himself get sealed inside by tight ends and has a very poor feel for reading screens and outside zone runs...

I guess he has to go pro given his injury history, but he's definitely not a first rounder.  He's like a fourth or fifth round project whose argument for getting picked in that range is based purely on his physical traits.

I've watched Yetur Gross Matos and AJ Epenesa this year too.  I like them and they are way, way better than Terrell Lewis, but they aren't close to as good as Chase Young is either.  They're power players who win with length and strength and there isn't a lot of variety in their toolboxes.

It's a massive dropoff from Chase to the next group of pass rushers.  Given how much better he is than the other non-QBs in the class plus how terrible our edge rush was this season, this really is a complete no-brainer pick.  We just need to draft the man and be done with it and enjoy the fact that we have an awesome group of edge players in house for the next several years.  If he's on the board and we pick anyone other than him at #2, it would be an unforgivable demonstration of incompetence by the organization.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's really good.  Probably their best defensive player this year after Moses went down.  He plays a lot smaller than 6'1 200 though, to the point where I find those measurements tough to believe.  I think it's odd to see how often he bounces off ball carriers given how hard he closes.  He doesn't hit through them and I think it's a play strength issue.  He has the desire but not the mass.

I was surprised to see that a lot of the Alabama players looked really small this year when i started watching them closer.  Ruggs looked tiny and he's listed at 6'0 190.  Jeudy has chicken legs and an obvious lack of play strength.  And Devonta Smith looks slight.  It was a major contrast to the Clemson and Ohio State guys, who look huge.  Maybe that's why Najee Harris and Patrick Surtain stand out so much to me.  They dwarf their fellow skill players.

Yeah you get a good sense seeing players live up close.  McKinney to me looks like a corner physically more so than a free safety hence my point about him bulking up.   Cover guy right now, not much of a tackler.  From what I can tell he seemed like a smart player because he found his way to the ball a lot.  He's fast and rangy.

Devonta Smith is really scrawny in particular his arms.  Jeudy too but he seems to have more muscle on him than Smith.   Ruggs isn't a big guy either but he looks more muscular than Jeudy and Smith. 

Well, spent a few uneducated hours today looking through prospects.

Assuming we take Young at #2, damn we have a lot of talent passing by until the top of the 3rd. Working on the basis we are getting a 4th comp pick for Crowder, I really like the look of the following players as our picks in rounds 3-5 :

Jordan Brooks LB Texas Tech

Brycen Hopkins TE Purdue

KJ Hill WR Ohio State

Kyle Dugger S/OLB hybrid Lenior-Rhyne

I've overlooked the OL on the basis I think Trent and Scherff gets new deals.

I also picked up on Javaris Davis, Auburn CB, not sure where he's slated to go?

Also, rankings have players all over the place. No idea if the above is remotely plausible..:ols:

I see a team full of holes and no 2nd round pick, and plan a picking a position that certainly isn't a need. I wont be upset with Young on the Skins, but I am definitely hoping for a trade back.

And we need to stop acting like he is a lock to be the best defense player to come out of this draft

9 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I see a team full of holes and no 2nd round pick, and plan a picking a position that certainly isn't a need. I wont be upset with Young on the Skins, but I am definitely hoping for a trade back.

And we need to stop acting like he is a lock to be the best defense player to come out of this draft

Uuuugh. Two games ago, the television announcer referred to Ryan Anderson as, “The Redskins’ best pass rusher.” Kerrigan just posted a career low in sacks, is in the wrong side of 30 and ended the season on IR. When was the last time the Skins had an elite pass rusher? We need edge pressure. And even if Sweat turns out to be a 12 sack guy, we would benefit from as much edge pressure as possible.

Chase Young might have been the best player in college football this year. Beyond that, Chase graded higher than any defender since PFF started in 2007, regardless of position. That’s 12 years. 

Furthermore, very good CB’s hit the market all of the time. Jalen Ramsey and Marcus Peters both changed teams in the past year. Outside of Mack, I can’t remember an elite pass rusher changing teams lately. And Mack was exchanged for a King’s ransom of draft picks and was due a 100 million dollar contract. The fact that elite pass rushers don’t change teams says a lot about their positional value. Teams don’t let them go.

Speaking of positional value, look at the draft value of pass rushers. You can find CB’s, DT, S, LB, Ol, Wr, and TE in the later rounds. Elite pass rushers are almost uniformly 1st round picks, and often, high first round picks. 

Chase Young is a great positional/need fit for this team and offers great positional and draft capital value. 

How high is Xavier McKinney going to be chosen?

23 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Not ideal without the second rounder. 

What some are forgetting, or perhaps disagree with, is that Montez Sweat was a 'top 10 talent' that only fell to 26 due to an enlarged heart. With the decline of Kerrigan and Anderson not being the guy, they needed a hit there.

If Chase Young is the best player in his class - unanimous at this point - and Sweat is a top 10 talent, they should be dominant. 

Where the second rounder hurts is the ability to draft an impact corner and tight end. 

I think that's why we'll see the money go to James Bradberry and Tre Boston. Hope for the best for next year regarding health. Maybe get lucky with that third rounder. 

21 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

There are no certainties, but he's the best defensive prospect in the class.  That makes him the best bet to be the best defensive player from the class.

Pass rusher is a need for almost every team every offseason, but we're coming off a season where our edge rushers played pretty poorly.  @Skinsinparadise posted this breakdown of our edge rushers a couple of pages ago:

1622286446_ScreenShot2019-12-31at10_14_2

63.1 as our best edge player on the season is weak.  And Kerrigan only played 56.9% of our defensive snaps this season.  The days of him playing 80% of our defensive snaps are likely over.  He's also aging and his contract is up after next season.

Montez's pass rush grade was poor, and Ryan Anderson's overall grade was pretty poor.  The good defenses are getting multiple players grading in the 70s on the edges.  The great defenses have guys in the 80s.

Edge defender is definitely a need, and it's about to become a dire need at the end of next season when both Anderson and Kerrigan hit UFA.

This pick is 100% a no-brainer.  As no-brainer as the draft ever gets.  Only a grossly incompetent front office would pass on Chase Young at #2 under our circumstances.

14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Elite pass rushers are almost uniformly 1st round picks, and often, high first round picks. 

They're the best athletes in football.  The comic book characters of the game.  Being 6'5 and a rocked out 260 and capable of running 4.7 or faster makes you stand out.

Also a really high skill position too, but it's the position that is the most unforgiving of having a subpar size/speed/strength combo.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Did you guys watch this Titans win?  Seeing Derrick Henry do what he just did has to be the best argument for picking Najee Harris if he's there at 66.

I’m already on record as wanting this. Harris and Guice and Love could be super potent, if healthy. If Guice isn’t healthy, that’s even more reason we would benefit from Harris. 

mcqueen, what do you think of Najee’s pass blocking?

Archived