Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, panahoo said:

I definitely saw this on film cut ups. Seems to allow extra yards per play by not reacting quick enough to what he is seeing.

I just said he is underrated not a star, I think a very good Special teams player and coverage/3rd linebacker

If I want anyone from SC that I believe is underrated and will actually be a good starter is Bryan Edwards. Perfect compliment to McLaurin and Sims. Just really depends if we want to use a 3rd rounder on him

Good Lord Tyler Johnson has gone off today.

PJ Fleck outcoached Gus Malzahn today.  This was surprising, usually it's Malzahn throwing the kitchen sink at his opponents and outfoxing them, not the other way around.  This Minnesota offensive coaching staff is really good.  They've essentially neutralized Derrick Brown and Marlon Davidson.  You guys complaining about Chase Young getting neutralized by the Clemson game plan, take note of it happening in this one with two other great defensive linemen.  A great staff can cope with DL talent by going around them instead of banging their heads into the wall.  But you do need good receivers who can beat man coverage quick and both Minnesota and Clemson certainly have that.

3 hours ago, panahoo said:

I definitely saw this on film cut ups. Seems to allow extra yards per play by not reacting quick enough to what he is seeing. It was especially obvious against Alabama. He was moving at a slower speed than anyone else on the Bama offense.

He's definitely not slow.  His closing speed is excellent and he can beat blocks to the edge and shift gears to play downhill.  He also does a lot of interesting and atypical stuff in SC's coverage schemes, like spot dropping to deep zones and lining up over the slot in man coverage.  They wouldn't have him doing that stuff if he wasn't fast.

He's a seventh round WILL linebacker prospect.  Set your expectations accordingly.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That weather looks nice, I am envious of you my friend.  Perfect football day.

Great weather, leaving now, Alabama receivers are sick especially Jeudy. Your guy Harris looked good closing out the game. I was somewhat impressed with McKinney as a FS, good coverage guy but a bit small and not much of a force as a tackler.

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Great weather, leaving now, Alabama receivers are sick especially Jeudy. Your guy Harris looked good closing out the game. I was somewhat impressed with McKinney as a FS, good coverage guy but a bit small and not much of a force as a tackler.

How did Jobe and Surtain look? I was underwhelmed by surtain but outside of that one cheap shot I thought Jobe looked phenomenal

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

There is just no way Jeudy falls out of the top 5. His route running is as good as it gets. I would have been happy with him as the consolation prize had we missed out on the #2. But with Rivera and Del Rio, you have to draft Chase Young. 

I think it's quite possible he won't go top 5. He's had some issues with drops this year, which is concerning. Still top 10. I'm honestly torn between him and CeeDee Lamb as my WR1 in this draft class. Jeudy is the superior route runner (Lamb is a good route runner, just not as good as Jeudy) and may be a little faster (but probably not by much), however Lamb has better hands and is an absolute monster after the catch. It seems like every other play he's breaking at least 2 tackles. I wouldn't be surprised if there are teams who have Lamb ahead of Jeudy. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

How did Jobe and Surtain look? I was underwhelmed by surtain but outside of that one cheap shot I thought Jobe looked phenomenal

I didn’t pay a lot of attention to the corners but Jobe looked good when I did, I had a really good view of his interception which was a great catch. Patterson IMO didn’t pose much of a test, that dudes accuracy is horrendous anywhere past a 10 yard throw.  

On another note, at the hotel I am staying at a hotel worker in the lounge noticed my Redskins gear, he said he is a big Redskins fan, originally from the DMV. So I go maybe next season will be better with Rivera and maybe we get Chase Young so he tells me he is a distant cousin of Young and knows him. Wild. Maybe the dude was making it up. But regardless maybe that’s a good omen. 😀 

On 12/31/2019 at 5:08 PM, Gibbit said:

All QBs. Only way trade back is an option in my opinion is if burrow is there at #2, meaning Young goes #1. In which case both sides agree, trade back. Burrow at 2 is where you get the Haul of picks

If you go way back you might remember the Ditka Saints gave us a nice haul to move up to take a RB and the Cowboys turned a so-so team into a contender when they gave a RB to the Vikes for a draft haul. Prob others but QB seems to be the most common draft trade up.

Let's try a different approach here, since the first rounder seems moderately set...

And don't answer with, "durr, that's not gonna happen because durr".

If Young decides to stay in school... What do we do at #2?

Trade back is a scenario. Or do we look at Okudah and Simmons and say, "now's our chance to pull the trigger on a guy that changes the D..." and take one of them?

I think I look for a close trade back, so they both don't get picked ahead of us and let the league sort out which we get while acquiring more picks. Though I'd have a real hard time passing on Simmons.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Let's try a different approach here, since the first rounder seems moderately set...

And don't answer with, "durr, that's not gonna happen because durr".

Trade back is a scenario. Or do we look at Okudah and Simmons and say, "now's our chance to pull the trigger on a guy that changes the D..." and take one of them?

I think I look for a close trade back, so they both don't get picked ahead of us and let the league sort out which we get while acquiring more picks. Though I'd have a real hard time passing on Simmons.

I'd probably stay put at #2 and select Okudah/Jeudy.

Hmm, Ill review every position of what i think we need:

Offense:

QB: No need (mabye we draft one late for depth)

RB: Slight need possible late round

WR: No Need here

TE: Huge need, Sprinkle is depth only

OT: Big need: Even if Trent Comes Back, Moses is hot garbage and Christian cant beat him out.  Who knows if Penn will be back.  I thought he did a really good job this season.  He is still better then Moses at his age hahaha.

OG/Interior: Not really a need ( I think Martin can be more then serviceable at RG) Flowers has shown more then enough to be the starter next year and Rollier is fine.  I think that Piersebacher will push for a spot next year as well so he should make for solid depth.  We could still also resign Scheriff so that would solidfy the group even more. 

Defense:

DL: No need (I just want to say that we still have Cassinova Mckinzy)  That guys was making some serious noise early in the year. 

LB: Slight need (I say this because I dont like the play that we saw this year) Holcomb, SDH, Bostic, JHC, Foster.  I would be ok if we move on from Bostic.

S: We need a FS bigley.  Will they try to move Norman there?

CB: We need depth here so I would say its a slight need. 

Biggest Needs:

1) TE, There is no starter on the roster we absolutely need to bring people in.   

2) OT, We need starters and depth

3) FS, Nicholson has all the tools except a brain.  I think unless the new defensive staff can make him understand where he needs to be, then he needs to be replaced.  Apke could be something going forward.  Either way though, I think we need to add another. 

4) CB I think we only need depth here.  But drafting CBs late I feel like beyond the 4th round is a waste.  

These are just my opinions man so dont flame. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

If we can't find a small trade down, then I would take Okudah or Simmons.  I think Simmons would have the highest potential to justify the pick, but Okudah is worthy too.  He's a good day one starter that everyone will be applauding after like year one or two, similar to how we have with Denzel Ward.  Simmons is the guy who might take a while to bear fruit, but once he does, he'll have a chance to redefine his position and evolve D-Coordinator philosophy to think of overhang players as edge rusher/safety hybrids.  That is something new under the sun in football.

Both Chase Young and Tua going back to school to ensure that we have zero chance of trading down is a bit of a nightmare scenario, but it's not out of the question.  I just think Chase Young would be getting godawful advice if he goes back.  I understand the potency of the desire to win a championship, but when pick #3 is your current floor, you have got to take the money.  You can't risk getting hurt before signing that contract, which is why I'm pretty sure Young will get out while the gettings good and declare for the draft, just like the Bosas did.

Yeah again if Miami offers 18, 25, their 2nd and a 2nd in 2021 for #2 I am pulling the trigger on that

18 - Ruggs - WR

25 - Kristian Fulton CB

2nd (Miami) - Xavier McKinney S

Something like that seems way more efficient to improving our team. I have no problem leveraging a "Can't Miss" guy for multiple high impact players

7 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Yeah again if Miami offers 18, 25, their 2nd and a 2nd in 2021 for #2 I am pulling the trigger on that

18 - Ruggs - WR

25 - Kristian Fulton CB

2nd (Miami) - Xavier McKinney S

Something like that seems way more efficient to improving our team. I have no problem leveraging a "Can't Miss" guy for multiple high impact players

No way that is waaaay too far of a drop off. They have to give up all three of their 1sts this year if they want 2.

The thread appears to have returned to its normal, high quality! 

I think we need to be thinking about the timing of the build, and also, how to thoughtfully draft around the talent we have. Long term, with our current assets, I think our best chance to be good is if we draft Chase Young and our DL turns out to be truly elite, and if Haskins winds up being very good. With that combination of luck, we could potentially become an annual contender to go deep into the playoffs. We already have a good enough WR1, if we can keep an OL together, add a very good TE, and shore up the back 7 a little. If Haskins and our DL develop, it's going to be expensive pay both an elite DL unit and an expensive QB. We need to be following a Patriots model of trying to draft in volume at other positions and not over-invest at OL or WR, for instance. We need to be drafting OL and secondary players in volume every year, so that some of them pan out and we can replace players. 

In any case, with the high likelihood that Chase Young is going to declare and that the Bengals take a QB, discussing what we will be doing with the 2nd overall pick is getting less and less interesting. I love Okudah, Simmons and Jeudy. But we are taking Chase with that pick. If Chase Young and Montez Sweat pan out, a DL of Sweat, Payne, Allen, Ioannidis, and Young could be better than any line recently seen in the NFL. At least, against the pass. 

The rest of our draft picks are much more interesting. Picking second in the 3rd, 4th and 5th, could allow us to grab better value in those rounds than we are used to seeing. I can't wait until we have a better sense of team's draft boards and can better project the 3rs-5th rounds. 

I don't know whether it was Mcqueen or SIP that put me onto Najee Harris, but if he's there for us in the 3rd, I think he very well could be BPA. And, we should take him. This team can't keep counting on turning around their fortunes by hoping that chronically injured players get healthy. Thompson, Reed, Guice, etc. I love Guice and he could wind up getting and staying healthy. But, we shouldn't plan on that. Najee Harris has such great power and contact balance. He reminds me of a slightly lesser Guice, without the injury history. Watching Najee tear through 4 or 5 Michigan defenders trying to bring him down was incredible. His contact balance is so good. He's good at setting up blocks. He's very athletic for a guy his size. And, he can catch. Look at the replay that starts below at around 1:09. Najee catches that ball like a WR. And all through that video, he's snatching the ball with his hands. If we resigned Trent and sign Hooper or Henry at TE, Najee, Guice, Love, McLaurin and Sims could be worlds better than we've been used to seeing out of the Skins. I would love to grab Harris at the top of the 3rd. 

I just think people are seeing this team very differently from each other.

I see huge needs a CB, LB and Tackle (Especially if Trent is out)

I see definite needs at Safety and WR. I am not sure why we keep thinking we are set at WR. I like McLaurin and Sims, Harmon is not a number 2 WR.

I am okay with RB between Guice, Love and AP/FA.

18 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I just think people are seeing this team very differently from each other.

I see huge needs a CB, LB and Tackle (Especially if Trent is out)

I see definite needs at Safety and WR. I am not sure why we keep thinking we are set at WR. I like McLaurin and Sims, Harmon is not a number 2 WR.

I am okay with RB between Guice, Love and AP/FA.

If Trent comes back, CB is the biggest need on the team.  Luckily CB and TE are deep in FA this year.  We need to fill those areas in FA.

11 hours ago, KDawg said:

Though I'd have a real hard time passing on Simmons.

I'm with you on Simmons, I think he would be perfect for our defense.  I wouldn't even try to get too cute and trade back, I'd take him at 2 if young returns to osu.  Okudah is the other one I really like, and jeudy too but not as much.  Okudah is going top 5 no doubt, and I bet Simmons stock skyrockets after the combine. If we trade back a few slots, and okudah and Simmons come off the board, then we really, really screwed up a great opportunity to land a game changer.  And I'd rather have 1 game changer than 2 guys in lower tiers.

Archived