Cole Holcomb Draft Profile

HEIGHT 6' 1"

WEIGHT 231 lbs

ARMS 31 3/8”

HANDS 9 7/8”

Prospect Grade

NFL BACKUP OR SPECIAL TEAMS POTENTIAL

Overview

Speedy run-and-chase linebacker with the eyes and instincts to diagnose and respond quickly, but lacking critical take-on skill at the point of attack. He has sideline-to-sideline range but he needs to play less reactively and with a more urgent play demeanor in attacking downhill. Holcomb's outstanding pro day numbers should push his draft value up the board as a three-down backup WILL linebacker and core special teamer.

Strengths

Outstanding pro day workout raised draft profile

Loose and athletic in his movements

Good play speed with sideline-to-sideline range

Early play recognition and diagnosis

Scrapes with quick, long shuffle to track running backs

Stays wide, balanced and tackle-ready when meeting runners

Agility and reactive twitch expands tackle range in space

Has speed to spy dangerous scrambling quarterbacks

Quick to spot and jump a screen pass

Has traits and experience to handle core special teams duties

*Click Link For More* 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Say what you want to say, but NO ONE can say the Redskins didn't realize, as an organization, they were super slow on the field.   Ignore the offensive linemen and Haskins who don't HAVE to be fast.   The team clearly weighed "speed" relative to the position as an immense benefit in this draft.   Speed, relative to the position, is the key thing you are seeing here for us for sure.   This guy is an inside backer who is way too small, like Hamilton, but unlike Hamilton, has high level speed and burst at the position.   The Redskins realize they lack team speed and are doing their best effort to increase that with each pick it seems.

Edited by Art
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Art said:

Say what you want to say, but NO ONE can say the Redskins didn't realize, as an organization, they were super slow on the field.   Ignore the offensive linemen and Haskins who don't HAVE to be fast.   The team clearly weighed "speed" relative to the position as an immense benefit in this draft.   Speed, relative to the position, is the key thing you are seeing here for us for sure.   This guy is an inside backer who is way too small, like Hamilton, but unlike Hamilton, has high level speed and burst at the position.   The Redskins realize they lack team speed and are doing their best effort to increase that with each pick it seems.

I agree with this, good QBs shredded us up the middle because we were so slow and once Dunbar went down our defense fell off a cliff. Maybe it's just me, but Hamilton doesn't seem that slow. That could be because he was playing next to Foster though. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I agree with this, good QBs shredded us up the middle because we were so slow and once Dunbar went down our defense fell off a cliff. Maybe it's just me, but Hamilton doesn't seem that slow. That could be because he was playing next to Foster though. 

Hamilton is normal speed, not slow.   He's just not "fast".   And we're adding "fast".

• Like 1

Reminds me a lot of Sean Lee from the cowpies.  Even though I hate him, when healthy, he's a heck of a player.  Holcomb does a great job reading the play and you can tell he spends time in the film room.  Esp on the play where the RB tried to leak out.  The RB didn't do a great job of selling the block first but you can tell that Cole was already anticipating the check down. 

ZB was fast but too many times fast in the wrong direction.  Being savvy and fast is a good combination.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the field in sub packages.  Def as a special teamer. 

• Like 1

The redskins saw the impact of Jaylen Smith and Vandy in Dallas.  Both fast and they transformed Dallas defense.   

Smart that we are taking note.   Our defensive front was strong but slow.  That's changing.  With Foster.  Sweat.   Possibly Brailford.

Eager to see what the kid can do at the pro level. I liked his college game. Also curious about the trajectory of this defensive unit under Manusky, and how LB coaching evolves for the team now that KO is gone; not to mention Horton working with the DBs. Could be an interesting year for our D. It's stacked.

• Like 1

So, went looking for his pro day #’s, and I’ve gotta say... wow.  

6'1"/235 = Ht/Wt

4.48 = 40-time

6.77 = Three-cone

22 = Bench Reps

11'0" = Broad Jump

Sure, being pro day times, we need to take the speed scores with a grain of salt, but the guy does play quite fast on the field.  For reference, that would have been the 4th fastest 40 and fastest 3 cone among linebackers.  

The fact he weighed in 4 lbs heavier than NFL.com has him - closer to Bush and White’s range - is nice to see.  And while he’s 2 inches taller than Bush (so a leaner frame), he did put up 1 more rep on the bench (22).  In addition, his broad jump would have been the best among linebackers at the combine, suggesting power in the lower body.

Mentally, it seems as though he’s a bit iffy in man, pretty good in zone, and excellent at sniffing out the run and screen game.  

Anyway, I’m really curious to see how much weight his frame can handle (without losing speed), because that’s a really nice athletic profile.  Seems like a smart, instinctive player with room to develop. 

Even without the extra weight, I have to think he has a solid shot at beating out Vigil (or whoever - earning the 4th or 5th ILB spot) and could even provide competition for SDH in the near future.  Looking forward to seeing and reading about him in TC and the preseason. 

7 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Should be ok at either but it looks like ILB with a wee bit more range than Mason Foster

If I was picking a position for him, it would probably be at Will, so a bit of an odd fit for us, IMO.  Needs coverage experience, but he’s got the athleticism and run stop ability to fit well there.  

Not sure he has the chops for pass rushing off the edge, let alone setting the edge, but who knows.  Shorter arms (and height), lack of bulk and lack of experience in that role just make it hard for me to picture.  

If he can add 5+ pounds, I think he could fit as an inside backer for us, and his speed/instincts would serve him (and us) well there.  

On 4/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, Art said:

This guy is an inside backer who is way too small, like Hamilton, but unlike Hamilton, has high level speed and burst at the position.

I’m trying to comprehend traditional LB responsibilities (Will, Mike, Sam) with what I think is the recent direction the Redskins are taking with smaller yet much faster ILBs like Rueben Foster, Hamilton, and now Holcomb: all in the 230 lb range. I guess gone are the days of a 250lb Fletcher-like downhill backers whose immediate job was to crash A&B gaps. Now we have the more read-then-react types. Or, is it a reflection of the confidence our coaches have in our front three to cover those gaps, albeit for a split second, long enough for our flighty inside bakers to react to run vs. pass?

It is a recent preference that seemingly coincides with Manusky at DC. And as he used to be our LB coach, I have a feeling this is his preference. 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

I’m trying to comprehend traditional LB responsibilities (Will, Mike, Sam) with what I think is the recent direction the Redskins are taking with smaller yet much faster ILBs like Rueben Foster, Hamilton, and now Holcomb: all in the 230 lb range. I guess gone are the days of a 250lb Fletcher-like downhill backers

The NFC East has both Zeke and Saquan as featured backs, and both are capable of bringing a load. As the league seems to trend towards smaller faster LBs, I see a few teams being able to capitalize on that with a Ground and Pound Smashmouth attack.  Leighton Vander Esch is a package at almost 260lbs and I hated to see him go to our most hated rival. (Although Sean Lee was only 230lbs and he seemed to haunt us plenty as well.) Holcomb at 230lbs and "only" 6'1 Might be thickly built enough to handle the load, but I didn't really see much of a punishing tackler. Yes, Our DL may be able allow them to close cleanly, but it is of little value if our LBs have to absorb the impact and give up 1-2 yards after contact.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otis Wonsley Posse said:

As a Tar Heel alum lots will be frustrated with lack of speed. Gives great effort but the physical tools for the NFL? Hmmmm

I can understand lack of strength, but lack of speed, based on these numbers? That's ludicrous. 

4.48 = 40-time

6.77 = Three-cone

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Otis Wonsley Posse said:

As a Tar Heel alum lots will be frustrated with lack of speed. Gives great effort but the physical tools for the NFL? Hmmmm

This really surprises me as his speed shows up on tape IMO.  

7 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

I can understand lack of strength, but lack of speed, based on these numbers? That's ludicrous. 

4.48 = 40-time

6.77 = Three-cone

As I said above, I don’t trust pro day numbers, but his tape does seem to back it up (at least to an extent).