Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

8 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

With his draft pedigree but lack of ideal production profile, what we all want to believe more than anything is that he's one of those rare guys who is a better NFL player than college player for various reasons. A HUGE boost to that possibility comes if he pops off the tape and flashes from day one among a field of NFL vets. That's a huge indicator that he might not have been a reach, but a diamond in the rough. It doesn't mean everything. Lots of guys flash and then disappear, especially over-aged prospects who are a bit more ready for the NFL. But it's much better than the alternative, him looking lost or like a JAG. 

One thing that makes me a little more optimistic about this hope is how well he showed out at the senior bowl. He's got smaller production numbers than we would like, but at least some of that is explainable when you look at going from JT Barret to Dwayne Haskins as your QB and then also the crowded reciever room he was a part of. But, when his number was called his catch percentage and QB rating while targeted are all near top of his class. He's first in marginal efficiency, 7th in marginal explosiveness, and 1st with 14.3 yards per target.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/3/5/18247493/terry-mclaurin-scouting-report

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Loved that 3 man block terry pulled off

There's another video of him doing that on 2 different plays in the same vid...maybe in this thread.

Who knows, maybe he did it more times, like 3 or 4, or 12, but it just wasn't captured on vid, or noticed, or uploaded, or posted ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

This draft has the potential to be special....Can't wait to see how Hask, McLaurin, Love, Guice, Quinn, Sims, Harmon and whoever else we add grow together in the coming years. Not to mention the defensive additions. Sweat and Moreland are players. If the offensive lineman pan out this draft will be crazy special.

• Like 4

I think McLaurin winds up being one of our top 3 receivers this year. The coaching staff is effusive in their praise of him and he really is a coaches dream. He’s always going to be in the right place at the right time. He’s going to run the correct route. He’s going to block. He has speed. 

I don’t love Paul Richardson, but think how much more speed our offense has on the outside if we start Richardson and McLaurin.

• Like 6

Dammit dammit dammit. The offseason hype has blinded me to reality once again. Hearing all of the praise for the young bucks has me regretting the PRich signing even more; I don't want any of them to be cut or sent to the practice squad aka the Colts farm system.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CTskin said:

Dammit dammit dammit. The offseason hype has blinded me to reality once again. Hearing all of the praise for the young bucks has me regretting the PRich signing even more; I don't want any of them to be cut or sent to the practice squad aka the Colts farm system.

We still only have two guys with speed on the roster.  PRich signing is only bad if he's hurt.  You need more than one guy who can run.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CTskin said:

I'm not as concerned about his contract $$$ as I am seeing a younger player with more potential losing a roster spot due to his contract committment. I have the same thoughts as you here, PRich is such an average player

9 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

I really like Terry, in every phylum. He is an old school, hard working, dedicated, humble kid. THIS is the kind of player that makes our team better beyond the tangible measurables. Hail

and he has pretty durn good measureables also

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

and he has pretty durn good measureables also

Every time I see him I think about what Joe Gibbs says about character.  It’s the first thing you look for when you draft a player.  And then you throw in how he takes pride in doing the dirty work.  I like this kid.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, wit33 said:

Has a little Santonio Holmes look to me. Any similarities? 

Draft gurus please feel free to discredit my random assertion. 

He has similar size and speed and came from the same school.  But I hope and suspect that Mclaurin will have a better career.  Holmes to me with the exception of one season didn't really put up even high end #2 receiver type stats.  He was more like a good #3.  Holmes also seemed to be a bit of a head case.  McLaurin seems to be a level headed guy-leader.   I don't think McLaurin ends up a true #1 type of receiver but I think he could be a strong #2 type.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He has similar size and speed and came from the same school.  But I hope and suspect that Mclaurin will have a better career.  Holmes to me with the exception of one season didn't really put up even high end #2 receiver type stats.  He was more like a good #3.  Holmes also seemed to be a bit of a head case.  McLaurin seems to be a level headed guy-leader.   I don't think McLaurin ends up a true #1 type of receiver but I think he could be a strong #2 type.  

It's just me, but I feel like people get caught up in labels vis-a-vis #1WR, #2, etc. In our heyday we had a crew that complimented each other incredibly well, Monk, Clark and Sanders were all different, used differently but meshed like gears. I am going to be watching TC intently, McLaurin, Harmon, etc., looking for that reflexive coordination and innate play that you see on effective winning teams. McLaurin especially seems like that guy, he'll break off a route to block another WR free, he'll exaggerate a cut to catch a safety's eye, little things perhaps but it all plays towards the results.

I know I am already impressed with this young mans demeanor and character, something I see with Sweat as well, this does have an effect on the players around you. 

• Like 1

Hot take... McLaurin will play some defense before his career is over.

I think this kid is true throwback football player. Early in Patriots run they had Troy Brown that filled in as nickel back. Damn, the way he tackled and covered punts in college I can see hm as a zone nickel back, especially with his speed. 

Brown would play both ways in those games and still was a primary target for those early championship teams.

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

It's just me, but I feel like people get caught up in labels vis-a-vis #1WR, #2, etc. In our heyday we had a crew that complimented each other incredibly well, Monk, Clark and Sanders were all different, used differently but meshed like gears. I am going to be watching TC intently, McLaurin, Harmon, etc., looking for that reflexive coordination and innate play that you see on effective winning teams. McLaurin especially seems like that guy, he'll break off a route to block another WR free, he'll exaggerate a cut to catch a safety's eye, little things perhaps but it all plays towards the results.

I know I am already impressed with this young mans demeanor and character, something I see with Sweat as well, this does have an effect on the players around you. 

I agree but I also don't think it's so much caught up but the quickest way to identify with a teams passing game. Who is their number one WR? The benefit a number one gives you is they dictate coverage and you can count of them for a consistent number of targets, catches and production.

I'm with you in that having multiple 2s/3s could work. In that scenario everything must be clicking but you get the Patriots element in that you never know who will burn you from drive to drive and week to week.

Given that our developmental QB is a pocket passer and is showing flashes of reading the entire field and has the arm to back it up. I'm inclined to think a mixture of our two rookie wr,Sims,Richardson, Quinn, Reed, Davis and CT should be effective if sprinkled around properly.

• Like 1