Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

I realize this forum is for discussion so we have discussion...

But our receiving group isn't even worth talking about.

Is it Doctson, Harmon, Richardson, Quinn, McLaurin, Sims?

Is it Harmon, McLaurin, Sims, Quick, Harris?

Is it Larry, Moe, Curly, George Lopez and Adam Levine?

It doesn't make much of a difference. None of these guys have stood out (save the injured/rookies who have not had a chance to stand out yet). There isn't a ton of money invested in the position where one guy or another needs to be around. In my opinion, wide receiver is the position on this team where every spot is basically available. Take the guys who perform the best and move on. I don't care who the combination is. Take the best guys.

It very well may be Doctson, Richardson, McLaurin, Harmon and Quinn. Or it may not.

There is no one that should be comfortable in that group. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Not a fan at all, and I hope and pray I'm wrong about him. No breakout, let alone a poor breakout age, late overage performer, never a strong market share of the offense. The one thing he has is quality combine performance, but he doesn't have anything else to suggest he'll make it if he didnt produce in college. We'll see, the QB play was awful which could explain the lack of a breakout, but it wouldn't really explain the weak market share and lack of involvement in the offense until he was a significant overage prospect. Hope he proves me totally wrong. I have no problem with that, would be fantastic other than the confusion it would provide, but sports are full of outliers, maybe he'll be one. 

Josh Doctson was a 94th percentile breakout age...

I don't necessarily understand how that really works. If a receiver is on a team that has a ton of weapons, that is negatively affecting his future in the NFL? Especially if those weapons are older...

I mean, I do not see Mclaurin as a #1 receiver, and you don't normally get #1 receivers in the 3rd round. He is a good weapon, hopefully. 

On the flip side, Kelvin Harmon posted much better in these scores...still only 44th percentile for breakout age, but he was on a team with a lot of weapons his sophomore year, including future steelers RB Jaylen Samuels playing a hybrid TE role and eating up 75 receptions...Harmon still just barely missed the threshold that year. 

But i guess it does seem to line up overall. There are a few exceptions, but none that had scores as low as Mclaurin. That is somewhat disheartening. 

Edited by dballer
  • Like 1

Hopefully if he's WR 4, he'll have a greater benefit to the other receivers than guys like Ryan Grant and Maurice Harris.  While those guys tried hard, they lacked enough speed to threaten zone defenders into making sure their act of dropping back into their zones were timely.

Maybe McLaurin doesn't produce like we dream.  But maybe he also gives our other receivers and our run game an extra step of wiggle room.  Maybe defenders can't cheat as much.

That's my hope.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

We may not have to wait that long since the deadline for signing the 5th year of Docton’s rookie contract is May 2nd. 

Just heard today the Skins are not picking up his 5th year option as it would have cost them 10 mil.  I am okay with this. Hopefully McLaurin or whoever becomes our #1 WR. Haven't had a tall one in a while and it was nice to have Doctson in the end zone fading, alas, with ill thrown balls from Kirk. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Maybe McLaurin doesn't produce like we dream.  But maybe he also gives our other receivers and our run game an extra step of wiggle room.  Maybe defenders can't cheat as much.

I dont think it’s a big secret as to why Jameson Crowder did so well when Desean Jackson and Pierre Garçon were here and Jordan Reed was hot, they likely commanded 4-5 DBs leaving Crowder one-on-one mostly. 

Like you implied, McClaurin and Richardson can, at the very least and early on, occupy 3-4 DBs running deep posts and allowing for the underneath routes to be open. The two don’t necessarily have to be the primary or secondary targets.  Of course, this concept was a staple of Haskins success. 

Edited by JaxJoe
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 12:54 PM, The Consigliere said:

Not a fan at all, and I hope and pray I'm wrong about him. No breakout, let alone a poor breakout age, late overage performer, never a strong market share of the offense. The one thing he has is quality combine performance, but he doesn't have anything else to suggest he'll make it if he didnt produce in college. We'll see, the QB play was awful which could explain the lack of a breakout, but it wouldn't really explain the weak market share and lack of involvement in the offense until he was a significant overage prospect. Hope he proves me totally wrong. I have no problem with that, would be fantastic other than the confusion it would provide, but sports are full of outliers, maybe he'll be one. 

I share your concerns, but have been feeling a little bit more upbeat. Special teams gunner. Great blocker. High character guy and team leader. If he produces just a bit from the WR spot, I think his comp could be James Thrash. They are very similar sized players with similar athletic traits and strengths. I wouldn't cry about James Thrash in the 3rd. I also wouldn't throw a giant party over it. 

http://www.nfl.com/player/jamesthrash/2503350/profile

• Like 2

On 4/26/2019 at 7:29 PM, clietas said:

If anyone has any questions about my opinions on Haskins and his accuracy issues that I had in the draft thread, just watch this video. There's a ridiculous amount of under thrown balls here, he rarely hits him in stride, and these are completed passes to him.

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Ohio State may have had a lot of WRs drafted, but unfortunately most haven't done much. Michael Thomas is by far the best, Santonio Holmes had some good years. And then....Ted Ginn has been around a long time. Home McLaurin does better than some other of the draftees

3 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If anyone has any questions about my opinions on Haskins and his accuracy issues that I had in the draft thread, just watch this video. There's a ridiculous amount of under thrown balls here, he rarely hits him in stride, and these are completed passes to him.

I counted 3 that were underthrown.  The one at the end (7:20) was right on the money though.  Beautiful throw.

But back to the underthrown balls: I've heard it said from analysts over the years that it's hard to gauge a college QB's deep ball accuracy, because these guys don't get a lot of time to work with their WRs, which makes it hard to develop the chemistry you need in games.  I would imagine it's even harder for a 1 year starter to get in enough time with his WR's (and Haskins had 4 studs he had to develop chemistry with) to shine when it comes to deep ball accuracy on the big stage.

I think Haskins will be fine as he gets more time to get used to the speed of his WR's.  If he improves his footwork, that would help a lot with deep ball accuracy as well.  Bottom line: it's not a major concern for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I counted 3 that were underthrown.  The one at the end (7:20) was right on the money though.  Beautiful throw.

But back to the underthrown balls: I've heard it said from analysts over the years that it's hard to gauge a college QB's deep ball accuracy, because these guys don't get a lot of time to work with their WRs, which makes it hard to develop the chemistry you need in games.  I would imagine it's even harder for a 1 year starter to get in enough time with his WR's (and Haskins had 4 studs he had to develop chemistry with) to shine when it comes to deep ball accuracy on the big stage.

I think Haskins will be fine as he gets more time to get used to the speed of his WR's.  If he improves his footwork, that would help a lot with deep ball accuracy as well.  Bottom line: it's not a major concern for me.

I counted 8 that McLaurin unnecessarily had to come back to or slow down a lot for. The throws at (0:35), (1:43), (3:49), (4:16), (4:23), (5:36), (6:02), (6:19) were all off throws and not accurate at all. They were either luckily caught, defender wasnt looking at the ball, or his pass could have prevented the first down or more yardage. I dont expect the guy to be perfect but he's not even close to as accurate as people are making him out to be. I'm not even a Haskins hater and support the pick 100%, but I just figured I'd share with people what I noticed. 

He doesnt look like your plug and play rookie QB in my opinion. From what I'm seeing in this video he needs some time to develope. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/1/2019 at 7:51 AM, KDawg said:

I realize this forum is for discussion so we have discussion...

But our receiving group isn't even worth talking about.

Is it Doctson, Harmon, Richardson, Quinn, McLaurin, Sims?

Is it Harmon, McLaurin, Sims, Quick, Harris?

Is it Larry, Moe, Curly, George Lopez and Adam Levine?

It doesn't make much of a difference. None of these guys have stood out (save the injured/rookies who have not had a chance to stand out yet). There isn't a ton of money invested in the position where one guy or another needs to be around. In my opinion, wide receiver is the position on this team where every spot is basically available. Take the guys who perform the best and move on. I don't care who the combination is. Take the best guys.

It very well may be Doctson, Richardson, McLaurin, Harmon and Quinn. Or it may not.

There is no one that should be comfortable in that group. 

A lot of people are high on our 2 WR picks. A lot of respected people are.

We made out about as good as we could have, in WR acquisitions/upgrades this offseason,

considering these 2 things hampering us :

1) Our cap limited us in free agency additions

2) Our overall position needs were both numerous, and critical at other positions, so it was very difficult to balance out meeting those needs, while still addressing WR.

Not only is it common opinion that we got great players at WR, but also great value, without having to spend too much.

It's also too early to call them a bunch of misfits.

Here's one very high assessment. Of course it's just one guy's opinion, but he's far from alone in this. I recommend reading the whole article for

more great reviews. It's hard to imagine having a better offseason than this, considering the overall circumstances we were in.

Best & Worst Of Washington Redskins Draft Class

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/best-and-worst-of-washington-redskins-draft-class

" • Added two future starters at wide receiver

* Favorite Day 3 Pick: Kelvin Harmon, WR, NC State

Drafting Kelvin Harmon in the 6th round was the best pick in the 2019 NFL Draft."

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I counted 8 that McLaurin unnecessarily had to come back to or slow down a lot for. The throws at (0:35), (1:43), (3:49), (4:16), (4:23), (5:36), (6:02), (6:19) were all off throws and not accurate at all. They were either luckily caught, defender wasnt looking at the ball, or his pass could have prevented the first down or more yardage. I dont expect the guy to be perfect but he's not even close to as accurate as people are making him out to be. I'm not even a Haskins hater and support the pick 100%, but I just figured I'd share with people what I noticed. 

He doesnt look like your plug and play rookie QB in my opinion. From what I'm seeing in this video he needs some time to develope. 

You're being extremely nit-picky on most of those.  Drew Brees is one of the most accurate QBs in NFL history and I've seen him make the same kind of "inaccurate" throws.  It's impossible for every throw to be right on the money all the time.  Some of those throws you listed was due him throwing it to a spot; or trying to squeeze it in between defenders like at 5:36, where you want to err on the side of caution and miss short rather than throw too high and have it be intercepted.  The only bad throw to me was at 6:02, which, while it was a 50 yard pass (that's not an easy throw to hit a 4.3 guy in stride), it was one he should definitely have the arm to make accurately without needing to take a few hitch steps and unloading. 

• Like 2

The clip of the call he got was absolutely awesome..I love his passion already his family I presume was very excited that was an awesome video of a player getting "the call"..I don't think I've seen a video with people family friends that passionate and excited..I'm gonna get a custom mclovin Mclaurin jersey..maybe he can have Ricky Sanders number?..sanders was 83 right?.. monk 81 Clark 84 and sanders 83 right?.."the posse"..haha

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

The clip of the call he got was absolutely awesome..I love his passion already his family I presume was very excited that was an awesome video of a player getting "the call"..I don't think I've seen a video with people family friends that passionate and excited..I'm gonna get a custom mclovin Mclaurin jersey..maybe he can have Ricky Sanders number?..sanders was 83 right?.. monk 81 Clark 84 and sanders 83 right?.."the posse"..haha

I had a poster of “the posse” in my room when I was little.

• Like 1

Gruden likes to have 5 WRs active in game day. 4 extensively getting the reps, the other being a special teamer. Mclaurin is a perfect fit, we are going to see a lot of him on the field. 

His versatility might allow Gruden to change the balance of positions active on game day, for example only 4 receivers with an extra TE, or back, or OL etc.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Gruden likes to have 5 WRs active in game day. 4 extensively getting the reps, the other being a special teamer. Mclaurin is a perfect fit, we are going to see a lot of him on the field. 

His versatility might allow Gruden to change the balance of positions active on game day, for example only 4 receivers with an extra TE, or back, or OL etc.

My initial reaction was that there’s no way they have just 4 wr active as that leaves just one backup (for 3 receiver sets), but with Reed and Thompson in the mix, I suppose it’s possible.  

On the other hand, Doctson, Richardson, Quinn and Sims have all missed a good portion of their games due to injury.... so depth is pretty important at the position.  

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:06 PM, joeken24 said:

Getting the call. What a fantastic moment. The moment your childhood dream comes true. I am truly rooting for this kid

giphy.gif

On 5/2/2019 at 8:51 PM, Burgundy Yoda said:

I got to 3:57 without seeing a pass that wasn’t nearly perfect. 

I can't believe you watch the Mclaurin highlight video and come away with how inaccurate Haskins is.  I saw two deep balls slightly under thrown (1). Once #83 was wide open deep and #7 appears to be ensure he doesn't overthrow (2). Looks like a back shoulder into double coverage (great adjustment by #83 and pass interference.). I watch that and get excited both those guys are on the Redskins.  

• Thanks 1

I realize Doctson has not lived up to his first round status but remember it takes some wideouts a few years before it clicks. The norm used to be the third year and I understand this is his fourth year but he really didn’t play his rookie year. I for one remain optimistic he puts it all together and becomes our go to guy. 

McLaurin I think will be our Gary Clark type. Can play outside but has the ability to catch the underneath stuff. With him underneath and Doctson on the outside we need a healthy Richardson who can take it over the top. 

I’m rooting for Cam, Quinn, Davis, and Harmon but let’s face it, there’s a reason they were high draft picks or UDFA. I’ll be happy if they can just contribute as it is unlikely they become the next Antonio Brown. 

• Like 1