Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Terry Mclaurin WR Ohio State

PCS

25 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I realize Doctson has not lived up to his first round status but remember it takes some wideouts a few years before it clicks. The norm used to be the third year and I understand this is his fourth year but he really didn’t play his rookie year. I for one remain optimistic he puts it all together and becomes our go to guy. 

McLaurin I think will be our Gary Clark type. Can play outside but has the ability to catch the underneath stuff. With him underneath and Doctson on the outside we need a healthy Richardson who can take it over the top. 

I’m rooting for Cam, Quinn, Davis, and Harmon but let’s face it, there’s a reason they were high draft picks or UDFA. I’ll be happy if they can just contribute as it is unlikely they become the next Antonio Brown. 

Doctson is never going to be the #1 that we had all envisioned.  He may catch more balls with a QB that is willing to take risks with jump balls but IMO he will always be the side show rather than the go-to guy.  I think Richardson will be more likely to stay healthy if they don't force him to take too many passes over the middle.  He can't take a pounding.  Fortunately Harmon can now be the move-the-chains guy on the team.  Let's hope that Quinn turns into the steal from last year's draft. So that leaves McLaurin - - - I think paired with speedy Richardson he should have more of an impact on the offense as long as the QB shows that he can deliver the long ball with some consistency.

• Like 1

Which receivers have blossomed in year 4+ after sucking as bad as Docston has  his first 3 years?

I always hear that WRs take time to develop but most good ones I know make a splash from day one. At least recent memory.

3 hours ago, dyst said:

Which receivers have blossomed in year 4+ after sucking as bad as Docston has  his first 3 years?

I always hear that WRs take time to develop but most good ones I know make a splash from day one. At least recent memory.

It wouldn't be accurate to compare Doctson's first year to other WRs' first years since he was on IR for 95% of his rookie season. So counting his first two seasons where he actually played, a few WRs who blossomed in their 4th year after starting off with two years similar to Doctson's first 2 years on the field were Reggie Wayne and Jordy Nelson.

First two years:

Games played - Doctson (31), Wayne (29), Nelson (29)

Receptions - Doctson (79), Wayne (76), Nelson (55)

Yards - Doctson (1,034), Wayne (1,061), Nelson (686)

Yards per reception - Doctson (13.09), Wayne (13.96), Nelson (12.47)

TDs - Doctson (8), Wayne (4), Nelson (4)

Wayne's 4th year stats:

Receptions - 77

Yards - 1,210

Yards per reception - 15.71

TDs - 12

Nelson's 4th year stats:

Receptions - 68

Yards - 1,263

Yards per reception - 18.60

TDs - 15

Of course there's at least one noticeable difference between those two WRs and Doctson--the QBs throwing them the ball over their first two years on the field:

Wayne - Peyton Manning

Nelson - Aaron Rodgers

Docston- Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, Mark Sanchez, Josh Johnson

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Look at that speed. He's faster than Richardson, but also physical. McLaurin is going to get a ton of playing time, especially given his blocking ability. I could easily see him grabbing 40 passes this year and being a huge contributor on teams. 

• Like 9

On 5/10/2019 at 8:25 PM, PlayAction said:

Doctson is never going to be the #1 that we had all envisioned.  He may catch more balls with a QB that is willing to take risks with jump balls but IMO he will always be the side show rather than the go-to guy.  I think Richardson will be more likely to stay healthy if they don't force him to take too many passes over the middle.  He can't take a pounding.  Fortunately Harmon can now be the move-the-chains guy on the team.  Let's hope that Quinn turns into the steal from last year's draft. So that leaves McLaurin - - - I think paired with speedy Richardson he should have more of an impact on the offense as long as the QB shows that he can deliver the long ball with some consistency.

I like the way you spelled this out...I too think Quinn can replace Crowder. Hopefully these rookies can play and this draft becomes stellar.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Califan007 said:

It wouldn't be accurate to compare Doctson's first year to other WRs' first years since he was on IR for 95% of his rookie season. So counting his first two seasons where he actually played, a few WRs who blossomed in their 4th year after starting off with two years similar to Doctson's first 2 years on the field were Reggie Wayne and Jordy Nelson.

First two years:

Games played - Doctson (31), Wayne (29), Nelson (29)

Receptions - Doctson (79), Wayne (76), Nelson (55)

Yards - Doctson (1,034), Wayne (1,061), Nelson (686)

Yards per reception - Doctson (13.09), Wayne (13.96), Nelson (12.47)

TDs - Doctson (8), Wayne (4), Nelson (4)

Wayne's 4th year stats:

Receptions - 77

Yards - 1,210

Yards per reception - 15.71

TDs - 12

Nelson's 4th year stats:

Receptions - 68

Yards - 1,263

Yards per reception - 18.60

TDs - 15

Of course there's at least one noticeable difference between those two WRs and Doctson--the QBs throwing them the ball over their first two years on the field:

Wayne - Peyton Manning

Nelson - Aaron Rodgers

Docston- Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, Mark Sanchez, Josh Johnson

The problem with what you cite is it ignores targets. Doctson was targeted frequently and dropped a ton of balls. 

Cooley broke down his targets last year and his catch rate was well below league average. I don’t know those others WR’s drop rate, but I doubt it was anywhere near as bad as Doctson’s.

Docston is a number 4 WR who should be heavily featured in red zone, because he’s a jump ball player. He’s not a good route runner and he’s not physical. He may fill the red zone roll nicely for another team, but for a first round pick he is a bust.

Edit-

Look it up yourself; it’s not even close.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WaynRe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrMa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsJo00.htm

Edited by seantaylor=god
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

The problem with what you cite is it ignores targets. Doctson was targeted frequently and dropped a ton of balls. 

Cooley broke down his targets last year and his catch rate was well below league average. I don’t know those others WR’s drop rate, but I doubt it was anywhere near as bad as Doctson’s.

Docston is a number 4 WR who should be heavily featured in red zone, because he’s a jump ball player. He’s not a good route runner and he’s not physical. He may fill the red zone roll nicely for another team, but for a first round pick he is a bust.

Edit-

Look it up yourself; it’s not even close.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WaynRe00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarrMa00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsJo00.htm

I'm not sure what Marvin Harrison has to do with my post lol...

But we shouldn't confuse catch rate with drop rate.

According to this--

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2018&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=11&qualified=1&sortOrder=0&page=1

--Dotson had 3 drops in 78 targets last year for a 3.8% drop rate. You'll notice a lot of talented WRs on that list with a higher drop rate.

I also remember a stat tweeted a year ago or so about something like 45% of the passes thrown Doctson's way in 2017 were accurate, and that he was the only WR in the NFL with an accurate pass percentage below 50%.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Doctson's rookie season was injured the entire time so not sure how to count that.  But Roddy White was a bust for his first two seasons and then suddenly was a good player in his 3rd.

Doctson doesn't have strong hands, I think some of those drops fans are thinking about, are ones where the defender interfered with the catch and Doctson couldn't muscle through that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Doctson's rookie season was injured the entire time so not sure how to count that.  But Roddy White was a bust for his first two seasons and then suddenly was a good player in his 3rd.

Doctson doesn't have strong hands, I think some of those drops fans are thinking about, are ones where the defender interfered with the catch and Doctson couldn't muscle through that.

The biggest one for me was the potential game winner against the Chiefs. I understand he caught the ball and then fell it on..which caused the drop. Frustrating.. with better concentration/awareness and stronger hands his reputation on this board and on the team would be different. Imagine if we won that game...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Vanguard said:

Larry Michael said McaLaurin has been standing out in OTA’s.

With his draft pedigree but lack of ideal production profile, what we all want to believe more than anything is that he's one of those rare guys who is a better NFL player than college player for various reasons. A HUGE boost to that possibility comes if he pops off the tape and flashes from day one among a field of NFL vets. That's a huge indicator that he might not have been a reach, but a diamond in the rough. It doesn't mean everything. Lots of guys flash and then disappear, especially over-aged prospects who are a bit more ready for the NFL. But it's much better than the alternative, him looking lost or like a JAG.