Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

I see we signed Chidi Okeke, who I don't know much about other than he started for LSU before moving to Tennesee State.

And since he was at LSU, it reminds me of that funny line Kitchens said on ESPN today when he was interviewed about having so many LSU players on his team.   He said, "Hey, if they were better in high school they could have played at Alabama."   That's funny right there.

So any time the skins pick a QB in the first round I get all giddy and spunky all stoked out..I feel the same way this year but with more of a..idk how do I say confidence/more positive, less butterflies? with this qb...lol...I'm excited to see what the rookie brings..I have a strong feeling we won't hear who the starter for week 1 will be till week 3 in the pre season.. but I'm banking on it being Haskins...and I prey to God that Haskins getting the nod for week one is because he earned it and not because #round1draftgurusnyder says so.

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

@Skinsinparadise - love the Watson pick up.  Enjoyed watching him play.  He picked a good situation too - a place to grab a spot as a depth guy and and potential to start over SDH (or whoever) down the road.  

Speaking of which - we’re holding onto Brown/Foster for now?

Sorry to intervene.. but I believe Brown is still a free agent and not on the Redskins roster.. and yes we have Foster that everybody keeps forgetting about.. including me lol

Kano Dillon, the UDFA TE from Oregon we picked up, is an interesting study.  

Solid size at 6’5” 1/2, 256lbs (plus 36” arms - woah) and a pretty good athlete based on his Pro Day numbers (hard to really trust the times though) - lines up with Irv Smith’s (and John Oliver’s) athleticism.  1 year at Oregon as a grad transfer from UCF.  Not much in the way of stats, but averaged 22 and 23 yds/rec his freshman and sophomore years, but only averaged 9 receptions per year across all 4 years.  

He’s got a lot to learn - improving route running and blocking consistency  (who’s our new TE coach again?), but solid clay to mold, IMO.  

WTF... we reportedly had Watson and Coney coming in as UDFAs, but they’ve signed elsewhere.  Blah...

PFF

Washington Redskins

Round 1 (15): QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Round 1 (26): Edge Montez Sweat, Mississippi State

Round 3 (76): WR Terry McLaurin, Ohio State

Round 4 (112): RB Bryce Love, Stanford

Round 4 (131): G Wes Martin, Indiana

Round 5 (153): C Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama

Round 5 (173): LB Cole Holcomb, UNC

Round 6 (206): WR Kelvin Harmon, NC State

Round 7 (227): CB Jimmy Moreland, James Madison

Round 7 (253): Edge Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State

Day 1: 

While there was speculation that they might have to trade up to get Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, Washington stayed put at No. 15 and still got their guy. Haskins finished the pre-draft process ranked 10th on the PFF draft board. Drawing striking similarities to Sam Bradford, Haskins was fantastic throwing at the short and intermediate levels in his lone year as a starter at the college level.

“Getting him here at 15 is an absolute steal; one of the steals of the draft. He has a lot of promise.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Washington’s second pick in the first round, which they traded for by sending the No. 46 overall pick and a 2020 second-rounder to Indianapolis, was not as highly regarded from PFF’s brass. Former Mississippi State edge defender Montez Sweat, the No. 46 overall player on our board, is freakishly athletic but didn’t wow as a pass rusher on film.

Day 2:

Terry Mclaurin’s production doesn’t tell the whole story, as he was just one part of a loaded Ohio State receiving corps. He put on a show with his deep speed and route running at the Senior Bowl and finished as PFF’s No. 68 overall player in the class – nearly 30 spots ahead of his teammate Parris Campbell.

Day 3:

Washington picked up what could be a big steal in the draft in former NC State wide receiver Kelvin Harmon at pick No. 206 on Saturday. Harmon’s production at NC State was off the charts, but there are legitimate concerns as to whether he can separate enough to win in the NFL. He ranked 81st on PFF’s final big board.

DRAFT GRADE: EXCELLENT

13 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Very possibly true. He could fill a needed role here, however. 

I still remember screaming as Diggs fell to the 5th. Hell Theilen was an UDFA nobody (just coincidence these two are on the same team, I think, though their WR coach must be good). So it can happen. But yeah, probably won't be anything special.

Oh yeah, there are diamonds for sure.  I don't remember Diggs being rated higher than mid-round (Heck, if I remember correctly we drafted Crowder just ahead of Diggs and I remember thinking to myself - don't be drafting some kid just because he went to Maryland, lol - but that's why I don't put food on my table by doing this!) and I'm not sure anyone ever heard of Theilen.  Harmon was a 2nd round pick on some boards.

Just keeping it tempered for when everyone loses their mind that he isn't Jerry Rice.

What I do absolutely love is how just about everyone we drafted had a high opinion of themselves and took it personally that they didn't go number one overall.  Talk is cheap, but that's certainly the kind of talk that gets me lathered up.

11 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think wide receivers who get drafted that late rarely have the opportunity to shine. 

Like who is going to have the balls to let a 6th round receiver start at the X early on or give them them the leash that say doctson got? I think Antonio brown was a 6th rounder though. 

Fortunately for Harmon, he fell into the perfect place with no true X and little competition for it. 

Using the past tense for doctson was intentional. 

Understood.  There are guys you take fliers on and then there are guys who perceptionally are Day 1 or Day 2 picks and then get drafted late.  

We're talking about two different things as I'm talking about the latter.

Slept on our draft for a night. Woke up loving it even more. 

Not everyone will start. But I would bet 8 of them at least make the roster and contribute. And we hit at every position of need one way or another. TONs of youth on this team now. The last 3 drafts have really done a number on this roster, in a good way 

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Slept on our draft for a night. Woke up loving it even more. 

Not everyone will start. But I would bet 8 of them at least make the roster and contribute. And we hit at every position of need one way or another. TONs of youth on this team now. The last 3 drafts have really done a number on this roster, in a good way 

Hard to believe we are finally recovering from the RG3 trade and the Salary Cap Penalty. Shows just how valuable picks are. That was 3 1rsts and a 2nd that didnt contribute or become comp picks. What a huge hurdle to finally climb over.

5 hours ago, FrFan said:

PFF

Washington Redskins

Round 1 (15): QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

Round 1 (26): Edge Montez Sweat, Mississippi State

Round 3 (76): WR Terry McLaurin, Ohio State

Round 4 (112): RB Bryce Love, Stanford

Round 4 (131): G Wes Martin, Indiana

Round 5 (153): C Ross Pierschbacher, Alabama

Round 5 (173): LB Cole Holcomb, UNC

Round 6 (206): WR Kelvin Harmon, NC State

Round 7 (227): CB Jimmy Moreland, James Madison

Round 7 (253): Edge Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State

Day 1: 

While there was speculation that they might have to trade up to get Ohio State’s Dwayne Haskins, Washington stayed put at No. 15 and still got their guy. Haskins finished the pre-draft process ranked 10th on the PFF draft board. Drawing striking similarities to Sam Bradford, Haskins was fantastic throwing at the short and intermediate levels in his lone year as a starter at the college level.

“Getting him here at 15 is an absolute steal; one of the steals of the draft. He has a lot of promise.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Washington’s second pick in the first round, which they traded for by sending the No. 46 overall pick and a 2020 second-rounder to Indianapolis, was not as highly regarded from PFF’s brass. Former Mississippi State edge defender Montez Sweat, the No. 46 overall player on our board, is freakishly athletic but didn’t wow as a pass rusher on film.

Day 2:

Terry Mclaurin’s production doesn’t tell the whole story, as he was just one part of a loaded Ohio State receiving corps. He put on a show with his deep speed and route running at the Senior Bowl and finished as PFF’s No. 68 overall player in the class – nearly 30 spots ahead of his teammate Parris Campbell.

Day 3:

Washington picked up what could be a big steal in the draft in former NC State wide receiver Kelvin Harmon at pick No. 206 on Saturday. Harmon’s production at NC State was off the charts, but there are legitimate concerns as to whether he can separate enough to win in the NFL. He ranked 81st on PFF’s final big board.

DRAFT GRADE: EXCELLENT

So..  3 Great Consecutive Drafts by the Skins FO. Will we see some changes in opinion as to the competancy of said FO and Dan Snyder not interfering? Just wondering 😛

PPS: All the angst about Alex Smith trade and how we should have tanked last year to get a QB. Well...Alex was the best solution to for 2018 and we STILL got the 2nd Best QB in the 2019 Draft @ 15!!! Yea..bad luck on the CAP hit with the injury..that is just Football..I'd say the FO compensated for that with this rookie class though.

50 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Oh yeah, there are diamonds for sure.  I don't remember Diggs being rated higher than mid-round (Heck, if I remember correctly we drafted Crowder just ahead of Diggs and I remember thinking to myself - don't be drafting some kid just because he went to Maryland, lol - but that's why I don't put food on my table by doing this!) and I'm not sure anyone ever heard of Theilen.  Harmon was a 2nd round pick on some boards.

Just keeping it tempered for when everyone loses their mind that he isn't Jerry Rice.

What I do absolutely love is how just about everyone we drafted had a high opinion of themselves and took it personally that they didn't go number one overall.  Talk is cheap, but that's certainly the kind of talk that gets me lathered up.

Understood.  There are guys you take fliers on and then there are guys who perceptionally are Day 1 or Day 2 picks and then get drafted late.  

We're talking about two different things as I'm talking about the latter.

Anybody that watched Maryland extensively knew that Diggs was going to be an impact player out the gate. I was completely astounded he fell to the 6th round. He only fell because of injuries and poor QB play.

3 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So..  3 Great Consecutive Drafts by the Skins FO. Will we see some changes in opinion as to the competancy of said FO and Dan Snyder not interfering? Just wondering 😛

PPS: All the angst about Alex Smith trade and how we should have tanked last year to get a QB. Well...Alex was the best solution to for 2018 and we STILL got the 2nd Best QB in the 2019 Draft @ 15!!! Yea..bad luck on the CAP hit with the injury..that is just Football..I'd say the FO compensated for that with this rookie class though.

They've been good IMO at drafting for years.   Jay told JP Finley the plan was to stick to Kyle Smith's board.  So kudos I guess for Dan and Bruce for apparently staying out of his way.

In my humble opinion nothing happened yesterday to vindicate the Alex Smith trade.  I thought it was bad trade when it happened and after -- and Bruce compounded it IMO by giving Alex that fat extension which will amount to a cap penalty for years.

In my opinion, they've been good with college scouting and bad with pro scouting for years.  The combination of that and failing over and over again at QB in different ways has contributed to the mediocrity.  I think the naysayers are too tough when they say this FO stinks.  I don't think they stink.  They are so so.  And the sleaze from time to time and PR gaffes that comes out of the FO makes it feel worse than that every now and then.

But back to positivity.  I've gotten now a bigger sample size and i've always liked the profile of Kyle Smith but now its hitting man crush territory.   I got no man crush on Bruce or Dan. 😀   But Kyle to me looks like a special evaluator.

The idea that we got the 2nd best Qb in the draft. That's debatable.  There is no bigger crap shoot position than QB so we will see how it plays out.  We've been through that rodeo so I am not counting my chickens yet.  If they get the QB position right it will be the first time in Dan's era and the era just before him that we pulled it off.   Shuler was highly touted. RG3 was labeled can't miss by some NFL draft geeks including even Bill Polian who said he spent a ton of hours studying him before he left his position in Indy -- and if anything he was a more ballyhooed prospect than Haskins.  Ramsey and Campbell were first rounders.  They all felt exciting in the moment.  Heck I recall like yesterday reading the SI article that gushed about how the Redskins got the next Aikman in Heath Shuler.

If Haskins is the goods.  They finally hit the goldmine after throwing a gazillion draft picks and money at the position.  But considering this team's history, i'll believe it when I see it go down.  Arguably the only other team that has been more comical at botching the QB position after attempt after attempt was the Browns.   And heck they finally got it right last year.  Hopefully this year finally it happens for us.  And if it does, i do think Dan finally escapes the dungeon.  If I had to say the hallmark for Dan's mishaps during his tenure most of it centers on the QB.  And thankfully some of his desires at the position (according to some reports) never happened like trading up for Sanchez and wanting Brady Quinn.  

If he finally got it right, I think a lot would be forgiven.  If they didn't get it right it would feel same old same old.  This franchise has had good rosters here and there but never really with great QB play at the same time.  if that finally changes, it changes everything IMO. 

I give the draft an A. We got some potentially great players without having to give up hardly anything at all (a 2nd rounder next year which I was already completely fine with trading for Rosen). My enthusiasm for this team and really football in general was at an all time low last December and now I’m back in wanting to see this draft class develop this year and absolutely cannot wait to see this team next year after another FA and draft period. So, going from hardly interested at all to looking forward to the future I have to give the organization an A even if the process seems a little strange.

Side note, I really think our organizational disfunction bamboozled the Giants into take Daniel Jones at 6. They probably thought there is no way we would be that out in the open about wanting Haskins and pulled the trigger on Jones worried it was all smoke screen from known buffoons trying to be sneaky. 

Gah, we need to keep Kyle Smith around. I just watched a couple of his interviews and he is incredibly smart and detailed. If we were smart we would promote him to GM. Let Bruce and Doug have their titles to make them feel important, but Kyle seems like is the key to our recent good drafts. 

Make no mistake, there is no dysfunction within the organization right now or for the lash 3 years. Everyoe knows their roles in the machine. 

The disfunction comes from people not used to being an outsider from player personnel decisions in dc, not accepting their roles, general vindictiveness, and the overwhelming malaise that has grasped the dmv as a whole.

we might have had a hand in ny drafting #pick6... Spies leaking false interest in the dukie. Just like I think we targeted sweat at 15 and had a hand in the medical. I think Allen has a team of these people playing other franchises as suckers into believing we are the same dunces they’ve only ever known. Kyle Smith, Allen, and Williams all play different roles . 

Archived