Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

2 hours ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Same story last year. A team with a talented front 7 and run game will be in most games, as we proved last year. Will need Haskins/Case/Colt and the passing game to play well enough to expect playoffs. Top 5 is a joke. Nothing to see there.

Sweat to me will elevate that defense.  I thought the one thing missing including last year is an elite level speed rusher.  Granted we do not know if sweat is a great player, yet.  But I think he could be and if that goes down that more than anything I think can elevate the defense.  You add Collins who I do think is an upgrade over Swearniger that should help, too.  Loved the Alabama version of Reuben Foster.  I do not  know about the pro version of him.     Some of the SF reporters say he slipped last year from his rookie season.  And he does tend to get injured.  So he to me is a wild card.  

On offense, both McLaurin and Harmon were my guys among that 2nd tier group of receivers.  I am fans of both guys so i might be a bit biased.  Yet, most receivers develop slowly compared to other positions so am not expecting instant impact.  

As for Haskins, i am unsure about him and have some concerns.  But i do like having a young QB in the fold it gives hope.   But I would rather not throw him into the fire until he is ready.  I do not like to shell shock young QBs.   So I am guessing it will be Keenum.  I do not dislike Keenum but he is nothing special IMO and I think needs passing weapons to thrive.    Can they run the ball?  Maybe.  The O line needs to stay healthy.  i worshipped Guice before the draft and especially once we drafted him.  But hes coming back from an ACL and that brings some questions about whether he is the same guy.  I think ultimately he will be the same guy but its not unusual for a player (Peterson notwithstanding) to take at least half a season or so to feel comfortable post ACL.

So for me a lot of wildcards on the team.  If the O line stays healthy, Foster is who he was at Alabama, Sweat is  the star I think he will be, and Guice is 100% -- then Id go as high as 10-6.  But if some of that doesn't come together then it feels more like 7-9.

I think in an odd way Haskins might end up saving Jays job.  Previously I thought no way Jay is back if they do not make the playoffs.  Now i think they can survive a slow start if Haskins comes in later in the season and looks good.  

Looking at the schedule, I don’t see Haskins on the field until week 9: against buffalo one week after facing Minnesota. It’s foreseeable that we may be 4-4 at that time. 

We may start 1-4. But by the buffalo game could be even. That’s a perfect time to let the kid come in and take over. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sweat to me will elevate that defense.  I thought the one thing missing including last year is an elite level speed rusher.  Granted we do not know if sweat is a great player, yet.  But I think he could be and if that goes down that more than anything I think can elevate the defense.  You add Collins who I do think is an upgrade over Swearniger that should help, too.  Loved the Alabama version of Reuben Foster.  I do not  know about the pro version of him.     Some of the SF reporters say he slipped last year from his rookie season.  And he does tend to get injured.  So he to me is a wild card.  

On offense, both McLaurin and Harmon were my guys among that 2nd tier group of receivers.  I am fans of both guys so i might be a bit biased.  Yet, most receivers develop slowly compared to other positions so am not expecting instant impact.  

As for Haskins, i am unsure about him and have some concerns.  But i do like having a young QB in the fold it gives hope.   But I would rather not throw him into the fire until he is ready.  I do not like to shell shock young QBs.   So I am guessing it will be Keenum.  I do not dislike Keenum but he is nothing special IMO and I think needs passing weapons to thrive.    Can they run the ball?  Maybe.  The O line needs to stay healthy.  i worshipped Guice before the draft and especially once we drafted him.  But hes coming back from an ACL and that brings some questions about whether he is the same guy.  I think ultimately he will be the same guy but its not unusual for a player (Peterson notwithstanding) to take at least half a season or so to feel comfortable post ACL.

So for me a lot of wildcards on the team.  If the O line stays healthy, Foster is who he was at Alabama, Sweat is  the star I think he will be, and Guice is 100% -- then Id go as high as 10-6.  But if some of that doesn't come together then it feels more like 7-9.

I think in an odd way Haskins might end up saving Jays job.  Previously I thought no way Jay is back if they do not make the playoffs.  Now i think they can survive a slow start if Haskins comes in later in the season and looks good.  

I believe Keenum starts and will be good for us IF, IF, IF, the defense is one of the tops in the league. If the defense keeps us in low scoring games we will be able to run the ball similar to how the first half of 2018 started before the Alex injury. I expect HUGE things out of our defense. Guys that played together in college should have a lot of fun...Manusky needs to be ultra aggressive with this group, pressure from everywhere. Keenum is good enough to win for us and we have the backs....if the line stays healthy but I think this defense needs to be special like the Bears were in 2018.

19 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I believe Keenum starts and will be good for us IF, IF, IF, the defense is one of the tops in the league. If the defense keeps us in low scoring games we will be able to run the ball similar to how the first half of 2018 started before the Alex injury. I expect HUGE things out of our defense. Guys that played together in college should have a lot of fun...Manusky needs to be ultra aggressive with this group, pressure from everywhere. Keenum is good enough to win for us and we have the backs....if the line stays healthy but I think this defense needs to be special like the Bears were in 2018.

I think Keenum needs more than a good defense.  He needs a good supporting cast.  If the O line falls apart with injuries like it has in the last 2 seasons I do not  think he survives it.  I am probably one of the top cheerleaders here for both Harmon and McLaurin and was so before the draft -- Harmon being a late man crush in the process before the draft.  but I like to give rookie receivers  a break in year 1 so I wonder if they hit the ground running in a big way albeit I think it is possible. 

There are a lot of ifs for me about this team.  And I do not mean that in a negative way.  i like this draft a lot and am patient to wait for some of these prospects to bloom.   

I feel a little bit like I did last year.  If I recall I said if they catch some breaks and get some luck they would be 11-5, if they do not then 7-9.  

I thought some overrated the defense heading into 2018.  I liked pieces of it but I thought they had some missing components for it to be great.  I saw the defense as good.  the two main things i thought were missing then was a killer MLB and a killer push rusher.  and in theory we got both now.    So I can see this defense potentially being great.  But I need to see the movie play out with both Sweat and Foster before I count my chickens.  But I am more jazzed about the potential of this defense than any era I can recall post Gregg Williams.   

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Looking at the schedule, I don’t see Haskins on the field until week 9: against buffalo one week after facing Minnesota. It’s foreseeable that we may be 4-4 at that time. 

We may start 1-4. But by the buffalo game could be even. That’s a perfect time to let the kid come in and take over. 

You think that after a 1 and 4 start we're gonna stick with Keenum but then despite 3 straight victories that will then be the time to pull him?

seems a little strange.

The Minnesota game is Thursday night, giving the skins 1.5 weeks to get Dwayne starters reps, and 4 weeks against mediocre competition before the difficult divisional games commence. 

I think keenum may win a few games ( notably MIA/MIN/SF/NYG) the defense  and running game will carry during the first half of the season, and case will do just enough. We have no reason to throw Haskins out there week one against the gauntlet. Week 9 seems safe, and I would like to see Keenum have a shot at personal redemption in Minnesota 

The point below is a good one IMO.  Part of what made me like for example Harmon is the style  he plays the position.  He reminds me a little of Garcon.  He is a different type of receiver than him but they both play with obvious gusto.   As Jay likes to joke about from time to time -- have you ever seen a more quiet group of receivers than what the Redskins have?  So I like to add some brashness and attitude.   I think they are potentially good players, too.  But the leadership and swag that some of these guys bring, I think will bring some needed intangibles to the locker room.   

I know squat about Rahming.  I just checked out some highlights but I will get to watching some games.  The Crowder analogies are interesting.  Looking at the 2 clips i attach here, Rahming looks faster than Crowder.  Id presume he is raw and has ways to go but look at that dude move on the sweep.  I thought a low point of last season with all the injuries was to see Maurice Harris take sweeps for like 4 yards or less.  Yuck.  I do not know if this dude can play but looks like he can run. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/04/bowl-season-draft-prospect-stocks 

One scout argued that Duke senior receiver T.J. Rahming (240 yards, 171 coming after the catch) upped his stock more than Jones did in the game. The 5' 10" Rahming might he solidified a spot in the late rounds. He can also return punts and is similar to another Blue Devil alum, Jamison Crowder, who Washington picked in the fourth round in 2015. 

Matt Miller has us with the first pick in the draft. wow.   I doubt that happens but if It did Id trade the pick for a kings ransom for anyone who wanted Tua.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833601-2020-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-way-too-early-predictions#slide1

1. Washington Redskins

1 OF 32

0956026b2241c438f84d7390832a855b_crop_ex
Joe Robbins/Getty Images

The Pick: EDGE Chase Young, Ohio State

Even after selecting Montez Sweat in the first round of the 2019 draft, the front office in Washington will quickly realize the best player in the 2020 class is an edge-rusher.

Chase Young took over right where Nick Bosa left off and might actually be a better prospect given his lack of injuries and his speed-to-power conversion coming off the edge.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Haskins, i am unsure about him and have some concerns.  But i do like having a young QB in the fold it gives hope.   But I would rather not throw him into the fire until he is ready.  I do not like to shell shock young QBs.   So I am guessing it will be Keenum.  I do not dislike Keenum but he is nothing special IMO and I think needs passing weapons to thrive.    Can they run the ball?  Maybe.  The O line needs to stay healthy.  i worshipped Guice before the draft and especially once we drafted him.  But hes coming back from an ACL and that brings some questions about whether he is the same guy.

Sorry, but this is where we part ways. 

If we tank under our veteran QBs, I have a hard time seeing rookie Haskins trotting in and lighting up the defenses with the same  cheesy offensIve cast of players that Keenum had to deal with. 

Also, from what I've seen, Haskins had difficulties pulling the trigger just before receivers came out of their breaks and Gruden's aggressive over the middle timed passing attack requires more seasoning and accuracy than I've seen from Haskins games. 

We'll see but if the O-line can't protect Keenum, Haskins won't fare much better.

For all the praise our draft received, we really aren't getting any respect whatsoever in the followup power rankings from any outlet. 

Something would have to go horribly awry if we really did wind up worse than all but five or so other teams. This is a mediocre 7-9 team with enough defensive talent to keep every game close into the 4th quarter. 

Across the board, the media is overrating our draft. We did not use our draft capital optimally. Where I fundamentally disagree with how this team drafts is Allen, Williams, Smith et al 1) promote quantity over quality, 2) not evaluating upside properly enough thru Day 2, 3) overdrafting certain players relative to general draft grade and 4) drafting relatively high picks at positions of depth.

On #1, I think the team made a big mistake in not packaging both 3rd's to move into the 2nd to snag AJ Brown. We missed out on a chance at a guy with legitimate #1 WR potential as a result and a likely floor of at least a starter. Instead, we got ourselves a bunch of dime a dozen players with role player upside with the 3rd and 2 4ths - in many of these cases, we are not much worse off signing a bunch of veteran street castoffs instead of drafting them.  

My example in #1 reflects #2 as well. Another example, AJ Brown aside, is the decision to take McLaurin over Kahale Waring. By all accounts, Waring is a guy many project as at least an average starter in this league due to his abilities as both a receiver and blocker & athleticism. Drafting Waring would've made Vernon Davis expendable and, in a season or two, he could've taken over for Reed as the starter at TE. Instead, again, the team took a career backup WR type with this pick and, thus, not optimizing for value of the slot.

On #3, every year, it seems that in rounds 3-5, the team ends up reaching for guys who otherwise would have gone at least 2 rounds or more later. This year it was Martin, last year it was Christian and Apke, and in 2017 it was Anderson. Not shockingly, all these guys (except Martin who we need to see) have underperformed relative to the slot.

On #4, over the years, I've hated all the round 1-4 picks the Skins have burned on average EDGEs and RBs. I have no clue why you burn a second on Anderson when you know you have Preston Smith for at least two seasons more. This year, Love could be a good 3rd down back in 2020 but I think few probably see him as a Pro Bowl type

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think getting McLaurin will help with Haskin's continued maturation.  

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

For all the praise our draft received, we really aren't getting any respect whatsoever in the followup power rankings from any outlet. 

Something would have to go horribly awry if we really did wind up worse than all but five or so other teams. This is a mediocre 7-9 team with enough defensive talent to keep every game close into the 4th quarter. 

The thing about that is its just a draft. Nobody's done anything yet and we haven't even seen them in practice yet. We're watching videos of our players so that we (the fans) can fall in love with players we'd never heard of before, but by and large (is that right) the analysts have heard of these guys so they're not surprised by any of this stuff. The question is how much do we expect these guys to improve our team, and how much should they improve our team this year? Take QB. How many wins does Haskins give us? If he doesn't play, 0, if he does play I'd probably lean towards (-2) or so just based on history of rookie QBs. Sweat is a great pick at an important position and he may be a candidate for DROY and double digit sacks, but in terms of wins how many is that? +0.5? +1? I can't see more than that. Then you go down the line and look at WR. We got two of them. I'd be surprised if combined they got 700 yards (Crowder did well for us as a rookie but thats the exception not the rule), so what's that 0.25 wins or so? We got 2 OL, and one will probably play all 16 games and the other 8 or so (just based on injuries). If that's the case, and they're good, we can expect them to help, but this is dependent on how well Haskins/Case/Colt and our RBs are doing. So again I can't give them more than +0.25 wins. Then you add in Moreland, Brailford and Holcomb and I doubt they see the field too much except on teams. Best chance is Moreland. So what's that +0.10? Add that up an you're probably back to the same number of wins you had from your original prediction. Maybe you gain a win or two.

But then you have to factor in everybody else. Nobody comes out of the draft thinking "man we got a lot worse". So what's our relative improvement compared to the rest of the league? If we were starting (predicted) to go 4-12, then after the draft we're at 5-11, but the other teams that were expected to go 3-13 or 4-12 are now looking at 6-10, suddenly we've gotten (relatively) worse. 

But this predictions stuff is all fluff this early. I'd probably have a better chance of a Sweet 16 bracket correct than these schedules because rosters and development is such a fluid process. Lets just enjoy the process because we're so close to having football back. 

Seeing Elliot Harrison from NFL Network put us behind the Giants in his power rankings, along with almost every mock draft guy yesterday was interesting.   He typically makes fun of the Giants.  He explained his issue is the Redskins passing game and that it almost has a pall on it where he won't believe it until he sees it work out citing their history. 

Saying even Alex Smith looked poor before the injury.  And I agree Alex didn't look hot before he got hurt.  But the way I look at it is either they were winning in spite of him (I lean with this thought) or he didn't screw up what the other units were doing.  I do think Keenum is a downgrade over Alex but not a tremendous one or at least not a huge downgrade over the 2018 version of him.

Personally, I think the Giants are worse mainly because of their defense.  I do see the argument though that their offense is better.  They have been chipping away at rebuilding their O line and this year they added a pro bowl guard to the mix.  Their interior O line IMO is actually better than ours now.  They I think easily even post Beckham have better weapons.  I'd take Shepard, Engram, Tate, Barkley over our crew.  Eli and Keenum might be a toss up to me but I can see how some might prefer Eli.

I think where we separate is defense.  The Giants have really stripped their defense bare.  They've done a decent job last year drafting defensive players and looks like they made some strides this year, too.  But I think they have ways to go.  

Going back to Harrison's suggestion that the Redskins passing game is just doomed to be bad because that's what the Redskins typically do historically and implying he won't feel otherwise until he sees proof -- feels a little Browns 2018.  Eventually that streak has to break.   😀 

9 hours ago, method man said:

On #4, over the years, I've hated all the round 1-4 picks the Skins have burned on average EDGEs and RBs. I have no clue why you burn a second on Anderson when you know you have Preston Smith for at least two seasons more. This year, Love could be a good 3rd down back in 2020 but I think few probably see him as a Pro Bowl type

It's all subjective so I am not challenging your overall point.  We won't know until it plays out. I say this every year all picks seem exciting in theory but in the end if you get 3 starters out of a draft, you've done good.  Statistically speaking most of these guys likely end up busts.  Heck even players who show glimpses early on can bust.  If we recall we got excited for example about Hankerson's glimpses his rookie year but it ended up nowhere.  We thought they stole Nicholson and so many draft geeks were wrong about him -- now we aren't so sure.  On and on. 

I agree with some of your points.  I liked the McLaurin pick but I had other players ranked higher.   I also agree with your point on Warring.  I wanted a TE and liked Warring in that mix.   I think a Y Td would have made a bigger impact than McLaurin.  But since I like McLaurin (and touted him before the draft) I am cool with that they did.   I like AJ Brown a lot and agree trading up for him wouldn't have been a bad idea depending on what they'd have to give up.  I wouldn't want to give up more 2020 picks.  The receiver position in particular looks stacked in 2020. 

The sort of odd duck picks in the 3rd-4th round range historically often haven't panned out.  I recall a lot of us thinking who the heck is Josh Leribeus, and some saw him as a 7th rounder or UDFA.  Spencer Long wasn't as obscure but plenty had him as a 7th rounder they took him in the third.  I guess that sort of worked out.  Most third rounders are busts statistically speaking so an OK starter is OK.  Nicholson is TBD.   Apke was a left field type of pick -- those who watched him in camp said he looked bad.  So will see about that one.   

IMO though your point about Love contradicts your larger point a little.  Bryce Love to me if healthy is almost the definition of going with potentially a high upside superstar type.  The dude almost has 20 TDs and ran for over 2000 yards, 8 YPA, the dude is a monster talent wise if he can regain his form.  That's them swinging for the fences IMO. 

I didn't love Ryan Anderson pre-draft.  How often do short armed pass rushers thrive let alone ones also coupled with poor agility and speed?  It's very rare.   I got on the bandwagon when they drafted him as I typically do once they become Redskins where i'll buy into the narrative and go on the ride.  Right now, Anderson I guess seems OK but not an impact pass rusher.   

But then if you are looking for upside, Sweat is the anti Anderson.  If you had to chisel a statue of the perfect pass rusher it would be something like Sweat.  He has monster long arms, monster speed.

I think they swung for the fences a bit more than they usually do in recent years.  Even though I got some doubts about Haskins, there is some boldness to go back to that well.  First round QBs haven't been a kind journey to this team going back to Shuler.  Trading up for Sweat is bold and he's a high upside player.  the Love pick to me was very bold.   Tough for me to give them a hard time for taking interior O lineman in the mid rounds, granted one of those dudes is a player most of us never heard of.  Harmon in the 6th is a big name player.  He's a pedestrian athlete but was a big time producer.

If we are talking like you mentioned players tied to draft grade they killed it on a bunch of picks.  But to me draft grade is subjective, that's just about what the draft media geeks think.   But if we went by that, most of them thought Haskins was a steal, some think he's the best Qb in the draft.  Sweat was mostly seen as a top 5-10 pick.    Love's spot was about right.  Harmon was a steal -- most had him in the 2nd-4th round.    McLaurin was anywhere between 2nd-4th.  They did well if we are matching their picks to the media's take of them.   Not sure that matters in the end.  And yeah they did have their standard left field pick (meaning someone the draft media didn't mention) but most teams actually have a dude like that.

10 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Also, I must add that i'm absolutely dumbfounded that Khalil Hodge isn't even signed as an UDFA by anyone. 

That's what they say sometimes it's better to be undrafted rather than drafted late... he most likely has offers but gets to choose where he wants to go.

9 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

The thing about that is its just a draft. Nobody's done anything yet and we haven't even seen them in practice yet. We're watching videos of our players so that we (the fans) can fall in love with players we'd never heard of before, but by and large (is that right) the analysts have heard of these guys so they're not surprised by any of this stuff. The question is how much do we expect these guys to improve our team, and how much should they improve our team this year? Take QB. How many wins does Haskins give us? If he doesn't play, 0, if he does play I'd probably lean towards (-2) or so just based on history of rookie QBs. Sweat is a great pick at an important position and he may be a candidate for DROY and double digit sacks, but in terms of wins how many is that? +0.5? +1? I can't see more than that. Then you go down the line and look at WR. We got two of them. I'd be surprised if combined they got 700 yards (Crowder did well for us as a rookie but thats the exception not the rule), so what's that 0.25 wins or so? We got 2 OL, and one will probably play all 16 games and the other 8 or so (just based on injuries). If that's the case, and they're good, we can expect them to help, but this is dependent on how well Haskins/Case/Colt and our RBs are doing. So again I can't give them more than +0.25 wins. Then you add in Moreland, Brailford and Holcomb and I doubt they see the field too much except on teams. Best chance is Moreland. So what's that +0.10? Add that up an you're probably back to the same number of wins you had from your original prediction. Maybe you gain a win or two.

But then you have to factor in everybody else. Nobody comes out of the draft thinking "man we got a lot worse". So what's our relative improvement compared to the rest of the league? If we were starting (predicted) to go 4-12, then after the draft we're at 5-11, but the other teams that were expected to go 3-13 or 4-12 are now looking at 6-10, suddenly we've gotten (relatively) worse. 

But this predictions stuff is all fluff this early. I'd probably have a better chance of a Sweet 16 bracket correct than these schedules because rosters and development is such a fluid process. Lets just enjoy the process because we're so close to having football back. 

Yeh, at this point we still don't even know what the 53 man roster will look like. There will still be another round of FA cuts and signings. We drafted some good players no doubt, but how much of an impact and when is yet to be determined. Other teams may have had a better short term draft, but not long term. Or vice versa. 

Hell, we don't even know who is starting for us at the most important position on the field. If preseason games start and Haskins is looking like a stud, our stock will rise. But right now we still have some big questions. QB? Is Guice healthy? WR group includes to guys coming off IR, a third that has been teetering on bust for his entire young career. And 3rd and 6th round rookies. Not to mention LG. 

The Defense is the only thing you can count on being solid. And the question there is solid, good, really good, or great. 

Best to just ignore the preseason odds and wait and see how it unfolds. I know I am excited just because I feel like we got a bunch of quality guys, some I expect to contribute right away, some in the future. 

This to me is hilarious

Frank Caliendo prank called Cardinals as Jon Gruden to try and make a trade for No. 1 pick

That’s right, Caliendo impersonated Jay Glazer, Ian Rapoport and Adam Schefter in separate calls to Keim. Eventually Keim reached out to Schefter, who caught on and asked Caliendo what he was doing.

All of this would sound too good to be true normally, but Keim actually confirmed it happened. Keim called in to the Dan Patrick Show to give his side of the story.

Keim says he actually contacted Oakland Raiders general manager Mike Mayock because he thought he did “three or four trades with the Raiders” before finding out it wasn’t really Gruden calling him.

Caliendo and Keim also talked about their friendship. The two have known each other for 6-7 years. It’s gotten to the point where Caliendo is going to root for Kyler Murray even though Caliendo is a Green Bay Packers fan.

It’s unclear whether Caliendo will be able to pull off something like this again. After Caliendo’s antics on draft day, Keim will forever be skeptical any time he hears from Gruden moving forward.

If Caliendo can perfect a Mayock impression, though, all bets are off.

https://sports.yahoo.com/frank-caliendo-prank-called-cardinals-as-jon-gruden-to-try-and-make-a-trade-on-draft-day-012435823.html?.tsrc=notification-brknews

12 hours ago, method man said:

Across the board, the media is overrating our draft. We did not use our draft capital optimally. Where I fundamentally disagree with how this team drafts is Allen, Williams, Smith et al 1) promote quantity over quality, 2) not evaluating upside properly enough thru Day 2, 3) overdrafting certain players relative to general draft grade and 4) drafting relatively high picks at positions of depth.

On #1, I think the team made a big mistake in not packaging both 3rd's to move into the 2nd to snag AJ Brown. We missed out on a chance at a guy with legitimate #1 WR potential as a result and a likely floor of at least a starter. Instead, we got ourselves a bunch of dime a dozen players with role player upside with the 3rd and 2 4ths - in many of these cases, we are not much worse off signing a bunch of veteran street castoffs instead of drafting them.  

My example in #1 reflects #2 as well. Another example, AJ Brown aside, is the decision to take McLaurin over Kahale Waring. By all accounts, Waring is a guy many project as at least an average starter in this league due to his abilities as both a receiver and blocker & athleticism. Drafting Waring would've made Vernon Davis expendable and, in a season or two, he could've taken over for Reed as the starter at TE. Instead, again, the team took a career backup WR type with this pick and, thus, not optimizing for value of the slot.

On #3, every year, it seems that in rounds 3-5, the team ends up reaching for guys who otherwise would have gone at least 2 rounds or more later. This year it was Martin, last year it was Christian and Apke, and in 2017 it was Anderson. Not shockingly, all these guys (except Martin who we need to see) have underperformed relative to the slot.

This all seems very subjective though.

Point 1 only matters if AJ Brown is good. It's quite possible the front office didn't value Brown as highly as you do. I'd also point out that the two 3rd rounders likely wouldn't have been enough to trade up high enough to get Brown, though you never know what a team might accept. But Brown went 51st overall. By trade value charts, the two thirds (76 and 96) aren't quite enough. I'd point out that the Rams traded 45th to New England for 56 and 101.

Point 2 is basically McLaurin vs. Waring. You obviously prefer Waring. That's not universal though

Point 3 is somewhat true. But I think your mis-remembering things a bit. Geron Christian was not considered a reach by many. Here's an NFL.com profile rating him as a 2-3 round pick: https://www.nfl.com/prospects/geron-christian?id=32462018-0002-5601-5322-e972be96c146.  Ditto Ryan Anderson, most considered him a likely 2nd rounder: https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017randerson.php. Apke was certainly a reach, as was Nicholson the prior year. But then again, every team has picks like this. Martin seems to be the latest one.

Point 4 I don't think is driven by position as much as the players available. But You take Anderson in part because you want more than 2 pass rushers and you'd like to have a replacement if/when Smith leaves. Or gets injured.

Hindsight is very easy with the draft. Every team gets things wrong. Every team could have picked that guy or traded that pick. Washington makes plenty of errors. Bu tI don't seem the Redskins doing particularly worse than other NFL teams

Archived