Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

Just now, Renegade7 said:

The question was more to the y'all, I'm sure there's a reason.  Unless you got one, no need to be a smartass.  I like this guy, but Jordan is bigger and played with Haskins, why I asked.

From the film I’ve watched just since the pick came up, he’s fundamentally sound, looks like a very savvy guard that understands how to pick up late a/b gap blitzers (something that has killed us in the past) and he’s stronger than all get up. He’s not overly athletic but he has a natural center of gravity and understands angles which can mitigate it. Not sure I’d call him a minus athlete for that position either. 

14 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Can hardly find any info on Martin. No combine invite. Short (6'2.5), 311. Strong, 38 bench reps (pro day).

Seems meh.

Poor size?  This guy benched 38 reps and is 315lb and is “explosive”. It’s going to be fun watching him in Oklahoma drills during camp because it’ll be like trying to go through a semi. You can’t bull-rush a guy like that - you’ve got to go around him. 

3 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Always amusing to watch people getting butt hurt over day 3 picks.

”They Just blew that 6th round pick! I had 5 guys at the same position ranked higher! What were they thinking!”

What's amusing is people like yourself don't understand how vitally important day three picks are for the success of a football team. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

It's certainly not as much of an issue as it is for a Tackle, but you still want your Guards to have some length in order to get their hands on a guy first and get that punch. If he goes against a 6'4-6'5 DT/DE with a good wingspan and who can use his hands well it could be problematic. I'm certainly not saying it's the end of the world or a bad pic, just that I can see it as a concern for teams and probably one of the reasons why he isn't really on many peoples' radars.

If he has the flexibility and core strength to bend and absorb contact this becomes less of an issues. 

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

It's certainly not as much of an issue as it is for a Tackle, but you still want your Guards to have some length in order to get their hands on a guy first and get that punch. If he goes against a 6'4-6'5 DT/DE with a good wingspan and who can use his hands well it could be problematic. I'm certainly not saying it's the end of the world or a bad pic, just that I can see it as a concern for teams and probably one of the reasons why he isn't really on many peoples' radars.

Agreed. Arm length is important for sure. I watched that highlight video posted above. And he is excellent in pass pro. Especially trading off blocks with other linemen. Not much video on there of him getting to second level in run blocking. But the few that were shown were good. No pulling at all in that video that I saw. So I am not really sure how he would do in that regard. He is a project that is smart. physical and strong. I am guessing Callahan was pounding the table for him.

6 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

When we drafted Austin Reiter we had same reaction. Who? Small? There where better players 

So I just sit back and see what happens. 

This guy isn't small though. He's shorter, but not egregiously so for an OG. He's heavy and nasty it seems like. Reiter was legit small, less than 300 lbs if I recall correctly

55 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

If there are only 2 players taken at a position, per the rules of math, it means the worst case scenario is the 3rd best players is available.  And possibly the best, or 2nd best.

Thanks for the math lesson but I was wondering what the players name was. :) Professor Peregrine lol

Fans crack me up. You take the guy everyone says you should, and they complain “taking the flashy pick. Took style over substance. They just want to sell tickets”. They take a football guy that isn’t who they expect “what a waste. They should have taken this guy I heard of instead.” Just always something to complain about.

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I missed that you said wingspan as well, that makes sense

2 minutes ago, KingGibbs said:

What's amusing is people like yourself don't understand how vitally important day three picks are for the success of a football team. 

Work on understanding how day 3 picks are utilized. Go watch some film and come back with some concrete evidence if you want to tell us why you think a pick is bad. You have no clue. 

The Wes pick didn't really upset me  Would have been happier to trade down and take him later or Jordon with that pick.  However,  they drafted Roullier and everyone was saying he went too soon too. If he pans out great if not -  ammunition attack the FO with.

Archived