Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 NFL Draft discussion thread

seantaylor=god

16 minutes ago, JaxJoe said:

Not as much of a drop in talent between rounds 3-4 vs. rounds 1-2, though. 

It should not have gotten this far, I was hoping either pass rusher 1st round, LG 2nd, or QB 1st round LG second.  Now we're essentially dumpster diving again.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

It should not have gotten this far, I was hoping either pass rusher 1st round, LG 2nd, or QB 1st round LG second.  Now we're essentially dumpster diving again.

Interior line talent was exceptionally deep this year there is still quality left.

1 minute ago, nonniey said:

Interior line talent was exceptionally deep this year there is still quality left.

that's good. Unless you have a WR/TE/DB that you had ranked as a day 1 or 2 pick. I'd like to see 2 OL taken in the 4th round today. Guards/Center would be preferred. 

2 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

that's good. Unless you have a WR/TE/DB that you had ranked as a day 1 or 2 pick. I'd like to see 2 OL taken in the 4th round today. Guards/Center would be preferred. 

That may be the case with WR/DB so figure at least 1 of the 4ths will go that direction.

12 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Prediction

Skins will trade for a pick or 2 in next years draft.

They will trade up once.

They will draft 4 players today.

They will draft another WR in the 4th round.

I also think it is pretty nailed on. After giving up next years 2, we'll want to give ourselves some ammo to get back into that round.

From CBS best available

OVERALL (minus QB/RB) -

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson , S, Florida

Julian Love, CD, ND

Riley Ridley, WR, Georgia

Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St

Dru Samia, OG, Oklahoma

Top 5 by a few positions

Dru Samia, G, Oklahoma

Michael Jordan, G, OSU

Ben Powers, G, Oklahoma

Nat Herbig, G, Stanford

Ross Pierchbacher, G, Bama

Mitch Hyatt, T, Clemson

Ryan Bates, T, PSU

David Edwards, T, Wisconsin

Isaiah Prince, T,  OSU

Dennis Daley, T, South Carolina

Julian Love, CB, ND

Kris Boyd, CB, Texas

Amani Oruwariye, CD, PSU

Kendall Sheffield, CB, OSU

Cory Ballentine, CB, Wash

Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa

Travis Fulgham, WR, Old Dominion

Kevin Harmon, WR, NC State

Barius Slayton, WR, Auburn

23 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Who do you think would be starting first, a third round LG or third round WR?  You say LG shouldn't be that hard, you are right, if it was made a priority, which it hasnt for years now. A 4th round pick is not making this a priority. I bet we wish we had signed a WR but didnt because front office didnt know how QB would play out.

Both would have an equal chance to start because they have no starters in front of them. 

42 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

My top ten left on my board:

Riley Ridley

Chauncey Gardner

Mack Wilson

Hakeem Butler

Michael jordan

Julian Love

Imam marshall

Ryan Finley

Amani Hooker

Deionte Thompson.

Still a TON of talent left in this draft. Especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I’m shocked that Oruwariye is still available.  

Can’t speak to oline and DTs, but...

Corner - Oruwariye, Love

Safety - Hooker, Thompson, Johnson, 5th+ - Hampton

Edge - Walker, Nelson

TE - Nauta, Raymond, Moreau, 5th+ - Wesco, Mack

Receiver - Butler, Harmon, Mitchell, Hall, Morgan, Fulgham, Lodge, Sills, Jennings

Tons of ILBs left as well - Cashman the most notable.  

34 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Who do you think would be starting first, a third round LG or third round WR?  You say LG shouldn't be that hard, you are right, if it was made a priority, which it hasnt for years now. A 4th round pick is not making this a priority. I bet we wish we had signed a WR but didnt because front office didnt know how QB would play out.

I understand your frustration however I think we're placing too much weight on what round these guys are being picked in.  I know that sounds crazy, but just hear me out.

We traded the 96th pick and received a pick that's 16 picks later (overall 112), also got an additional one.  Dropping back 16 places, IMO isn't a big deal, even if it's across rounds.  I would argue that the biggest impact dropping 16 places is in the first round to the middle of the 2nd.  

Even if we're still debating the McLaurin pick vs. Oline needs, there's 36 picks between where we took him and our new pick, 112 overall.  That might sound like a lot but I don't see it making or breaking a position for us in terms of what talent remains.  The only way to measure would be to see what Oline player were available at pick 76 and who was taken by the time that we're up at 112 and if you prefer any of them to McLaurin.  

And all of this leaves out the possibility that we could still trade up today if there's someone the FO really likes.  We've got a lot of picks today, I am not sure if we end up using them all.  I understand the frustration of not getting an LG but I think we'll take care of that today.  Judging by how well this draft has gone so far, the...franchise seems pretty dialed in.  I can't believe I'm saying that but it's true.

20 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I also think it is pretty nailed on. After giving up next years 2, we'll want to give ourselves some ammo to get back into that round.

I don't see any deal on Day 3 that gets us a 2nd next year.  Don't see us giving up enough to do that, and don't see anybody wanting to trade up that badly.  

Just now, Larry said:

I don't see any deal on Day 3 that gets us a 2nd next year.  Don't see us giving up enough to do that, and don't see anybody wanting to trade up that badly.  

Obviously not, but if we pick up a 4th for next year, that's an extra pick we could put into a package next year to say move our 3rd up into the second.

I didn't mean a straight swap, apologies if that wasn't clear, I meant recouping something that we could package up next year

21 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

From CBS best available

OVERALL (minus QB/RB) -

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson , S, Florida

Julian Love, CD, ND

Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa St

Dru Samia, OG, Oklahoma

No crossdressers.  

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

When you need essentially 8 new starters on offense, have an expensive old QB who can’t play for the year because of injury (and probably never again), and need 3-4 starters on defense, not to mention depth, you just can’t get everything all at once.  So you have to prioritize.  

And WR is more important than LG.  

Asi I’ve heard that they actually like a number of the 98 Guards they had in last year due to injury, so they are going to try some of them as well, this time with a full off-season.

Buy even if they had a HS level LG, that shouldn’t stall the entire operation. Not having any weapons would.  

•  

For me my top favs right now

1. Hakeem Butler

2. Kelvin Harmon

3. Foster Moreau  (this one more driven by need

4. Dru Samia, Michael Jordan (also need)

5.  Blake Cashman

Then I got a bunch of players grouped really close especially at safety.

I just looked at their meeting list and thinking about that combined with players in this round.

They met with

Foster Moreau

Dru Samia

Mack Wilson

Trevon Wesco

Blake Cashman

Kelvin Harmon

Hakeem Butler

Archived