Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t go to free agency. The Yankees would have to pay a premium to get him to forego the top teams bidding. It’s Scott Boras afterall

This. 

Good for Juan. Playing under less pressure will help a lot. The media and fans in San Diego are relentless. He'll be able to just focus on baseball this year. 

• Haha 3

Yankees lineup was woeful last year.  Soto changes that a bit.  I may be crazy, but I think he is slightly overrated.  He batted .275 last year and people talk about him like he is the second coming of Ted Williams.  I realize that .300 batters are a thing of the past (which doesn't make sense to me), but I dunno...I am not a huge statistician or analytics guy, maybe he is tearing it up in other categories I am not familiar with.  Rizzo and Stanton fell off big time, as did Lemahieu.  Them getting Verdugo in a trade was actually fairly big, I am surprised the Red Sox helped them out.  

Yankees will still suck.  Unless Cortes has a better year, who are their pitchers behind Cole?  Rodon sucks. 

34 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t go to free agency. The Yankees would have to pay a premium to get him to forego the top teams bidding. It’s Scott Boras afterall

Really depends on if we're back up a notch in how we deal with free agency.

For a minute it looked like Yankess were working with some level of restraint recently in regards to free agency spending and moves...not this offseason, top seems to have come off. 

If anyone has the money it's them, Padres we're taking loans to maintain the payroll they already had.

Edited by Renegade7

I’m looking forward to see how the Yomamota sweepstakes turns out. With Cohen in the bidding, you know it’s going to get crazy. He drove the price up on Judge. The Yankees desperately need him. There is nothing to count on in that rotation besides Cole. Gray and Rodriguez are off the board. They have lost like 10 pitchers from their organization this week with the Verdugo and Soto trades plus the rule 5 losses.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Boras knows who has money and who can spend it.  I mean, the top team just did bid, they made a trade for him and they'll lock him up.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Boras knows who has money and who can spend it.  I mean, the top team just did bid, they made a trade for him and they'll lock him up.  

He’s going to want the Dodgers and Dan Sny… I mean Steve Cohen involved too. I’d imagine they’d have to exceed $600m and approaching $40-45m per season to make it worth his while. I think he’s scheduled for $33m in arbitration this year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I still think he technically hits FA even if he expects NY to extend him. It's also about his own "Boras Rep" of almost always doing that. Yeah, NY, LA, Boston, whoever....it's a short list. But he thought the same for Harper and ended up with only Philly willing to give them what they wanted. You know Harper wanted NY or LA or Chicago and none of them stepped up. 

• Like 1

I do wonder what Ohtani's AAV will turn out to be and how that effects Soto.  I think Harper approached FA with the expectation that he can break AAV and overall value records (turned out to be totally wrong obviously).  Neither Soto nor Boras can realistically expect Soto to break Ohtani's AAV.  If Ohtani end up getting less than 50 AAV (most commonly discussed high mark I think) and Yankees offer 40 aav or more, that's could be pretty enticing.

18 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I actually think the depth is fine but another top end starter is needed. Bring on Yammamammamoto . 

The Yanks have potentially a top shelf starting rotation - assuming health. 

It was the offence, especially sans Judge, that derailed the season. The pitching was carrying them most of the year before finally crapping out.

Counting on Rizzo and Stanton though, blech.

Edited by Die Hard

25 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Counting on Rizzo and Stanton though, blech.

BR put a potential lineup with Stanton in the middle of it...yea, double blech...

I'll be honest I didn't put enough attention into why there was such a dropoff offensively last year from the previous season.  Whether it's in between the ears or how much a new hitting coach will really make a difference, folks need to play more consistently up to their potential for those names in the lineup to actually matter, regardless of the starting pitching.

Yankees done turned relentless again, even if they don't get a new Ace in the rotation this offseason no doubt in my mind they'll be buyers before the 2024 trade deadline.  This isnt over yet.

The Dodgers want to be as globally recognized as the Yanks and doing something like this moves the needle. They probably figure with international advertising and such they could make a chunk of that back.

But sheesh. 70/year. For a DH who is a question mark as a pitcher. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Deferrals?! How did that happen?! Only cheap owners use deferrals!!

I’m sure this will get cleared up in the coming days, but wouldn’t LAD’s luxury tax calculation still use 70M/yr for Ohtani? With him willing to accept deferrals, I thought he’d get a crazy amount of years to spread out the AAV. The loss of a roster spot in future years would be a fair trade off in my opinion.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The Dodgers want to be as globally recognized as the Yanks and doing something like this moves the needle. They probably figure with international advertising and such they could make a chunk of that back.

But sheesh. 70/year. For a DH who is a question mark as a pitcher.

Wizards had similar idea by cornering the emerging basketball markets of *checks notes* Japan and Israel with Dani and Rui.

At some point crazy moves have to translate to wins and rings, otherwise what's the point?. Too many owners fail to realize if they do THAT instead folks WILL come.