Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

1 minute ago, abdcskins said:

Coming off Tommy John? He's gonna be a flop watch.

Not a flop but not worth 70 mil for a DH for year 1..and maybe SP again???

That said...the Dodgers still need to make more moves to get over their inability to win everything in non 60 game seasons. 

That lineup is solid 1-3. The rest of it really shouldn't frighten good teams. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Not a flop but not worth 70 mil for a DH for year 1..and maybe SP again???

That said...the Dodgers still need to make more moves to get over their inability to win everything in non 60 game seasons. 

That lineup is solid 1-3. The rest of it really shouldn't frighten good teams. 

OPS+ of 112 or greater for spots 4-7. Taylor was 100 and Lux was 109 in 2022 (didn’t play in 2023). Not sure there are many teams that have zero below average bats in their lineup.

29 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

How much of that can be sustained though? 

If I was a Dodger fan, I’d be most concerned about Heyward. He’s old and had a bounce back season offensively last year. So he may regress but gives you outstanding defense.

Muncy can have wide variances from year to year, but even in his lean years, he’s above average.

I’d feel really good about Outman (terrible baseball name for a non-pitcher) and Smith. 

And I’d add that when Betts, Ohtani, and Freeman are described as “solid”, that really means three of the top six hitters in all of baseball last season in OPS+.

• Like 1

If I were the Dodgers, I would be much more concerned about their rotation then their hitting.  They have work to do in 2024 and 2025 even if Ohtani comes back by then.  Also, not convinced of the long term viability of Ohtani as a starting pitcher.  Two Tommy Johns before age 30.  Hard to fathom that additional work load didn't contribute to the injuries.

• ixcuincle changed the title to 2023 MLB Thread (Ohtani to Dodgers)
2 hours ago, bearrock said:

If I were the Dodgers, I would be much more concerned about their rotation then their hitting.  They have work to do in 2024 and 2025 even if Ohtani comes back by then.  Also, not convinced of the long term viability of Ohtani as a starting pitcher.  Two Tommy Johns before age 30.  Hard to fathom that additional work load didn't contribute to the injuries.

Yeah, their starting pitching currently is very suspect. But they definitely aren’t done yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if they trade for Burnes or Cease and make another FA signing or two.

"A potential matchup of two World Series Teams, welcome to Sunday Night Baseball where the LA Dodgers take on the NY Yankees" - Sometime next somewhere when they play.

"Welcome to the 2024 World Series, this year we have the (Not LA) and (Not NY) matching up in the Fall Classic for the 1st time ever" - Right before game 1 of the World Series

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, tshile said:

The dodgers are going to make a ton of money out of Japan now. 

100% true. Also, tourists in LA are going to hit those games hard. MLB in general is going to make a lot from this. I remember going to a terrible Wizards game a few years ago and Japanse folks were there to see Rui. Didn't care about the game, who was winning. They only clapped when he touched the ball and were quiet for everything else. It was so weird. But they had more people at a game than I'd seen since the Gil/Butler/Jamison era. 

"Ohtani learned of a new tear in his ulnar collateral ligament -- his second such injury in five years -- on Aug. 23, near the tail end of a third consecutive standout season for the Angels. Nearly four weeks later, he underwent what was vaguely described as some hybrid version of Tommy John surgery. The man who performed it, Dodgers team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache, wrote in a statement that Ohtani would be ready to hit "without any restrictions come opening day of 2024" and resume his role as a two-way player by 2025, but details of his procedure were elusive........" Link

Last year I bet $125 on both the Dodgers and Yankees to win the World Series before the season started. Needless to say it didn't work out well. I'll be in Vegas next week, wonder if I should try the same strategy? Braves, Astros, and Rangers will be the other favorites.

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Last year I bet $125 on both the Dodgers and Yankees to win the World Series before the season started. Needless to say it didn't work out well. I'll be in Vegas next week, wonder if I should try the same strategy? Braves, Astros, and Rangers will be the other favorites.

Orioles!

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

"A potential matchup of two World Series Teams, welcome to Sunday Night Baseball where the LA Dodgers take on the NY Yankees" - Sometime next somewhere when they play.

"Welcome to the 2024 World Series, this year we have the (Not LA) and (Not NY) matching up in the Fall Classic for the 1st time ever" - Right before game 1 of the World Series

Astros trying to act like some hill the Yankees have to get over mentally...

October feels so different the regular season, in 2023 NYY lost first series against Houston and Texas then win their second series against both, sweeping the Astros.

I like how our September schedule looks, got Cardinals, Rangers, Cubs, Red Sox, and Orioles...better indication of what team is coming into October then some Nationals teams I've seen pile up the score on their division instead back on the day...

35 minutes ago, Pono said:

I guess the Dodgers will be your new favorite team?

I'm at peace with dying in pinstripes in a way I had to convince myself I was as comfortable living as a curly W. 

I've also tried my best to be reasonable, open, and respectful on my way out. 

While I get there's no way to convince some folks that leaving to go follow a well known bandwagon team isn't just another fair weather move...its not you I need to convince.

Some of y'all are terrible representations of your fan base. 

• Haha 1