Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

So, is this a problem?  Does deferring 97.1% of a huge contract mean baseball is broken, and does it represent a major point of contention when the CBA expires after the 2026 season?  Lindsey Adler of the Wall Street Journal wrote tonight, “According to league and union sources, MLB has proposed limiting deferrals in prior CBA negotiations, but the MLBPA has declined those limits because deferrals allow a player flexibility that allows a contract to be worth, let’s say, $700 million instead of $460 million.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/why-shohei-ohtanis-contract-structure-is-not-a-luxury-tax-dodge.html

Giants made a big splash signing Korean star Jung Hoo Lee, who excelled for Kiwoom before being posted. Eager to see how he does, the most recent hyped star other than him, to come to the US, has been Ha Seong Kim and he's been pretty decent for SD. (also a Kiwoom product!)

As someone who spends every morning watching Korean or Japanese baseball I watched him play a lot and he is good.

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Giants made a big splash signing Korean star Jung Hoo Lee, who excelled for Kiwoom before being posted. Eager to see how he does, the most recent hyped star other than him, to come to the US, has been Ha Seong Kim and he's been pretty decent for SD. (also a Kiwoom product!)

As someone who spends every morning watching Korean or Japanese baseball I watched him play a lot and he is good.

They've been on him for awhile. They also just had Yamamoto in for a long visit and should probably make a play for Chapman and/or Bellinger. There best bet is to beef up the rotation around Webb and not try to sign big bats who don't want to play for them. Oddly enough, the Park isn't as pitching friendly as it used to be (they brought in the fences a bit and got rid of the wind that used to come through lower right field)..so hitters really shouldn't avoid it like they do. 

That said, welcome Grandson of the Wind. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

On 12/11/2023 at 6:38 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Yeah that doesn't seem like it should be allowable. I wonder if the players union will have a problem with it? Edit..or small market owners who rely on luxury tax teams to assist.

It's in the CBA, so the MLBPA had a hand in it.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Yeah, it’s cool to see international talent come over. Kim did struggle offensively his first year, but has developed into a stud. Lee doesn’t show too much pop, but put up strong OBP skills and is defensive minded. I’m looking forward to see how it translates over here.

23 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm prepared to be disappointed...

Word on the street is Yankees are front runners again.

That's nice, what's more important to me is regardless they get this guy or not staying aggressive on pitching.

Having it come out were back in the lead certainly sounds like it, but don't stop there.

Someone gonna get their feelings hurt, but that's how rumors work being this close to signing here or there.  I'd kinda rather know a group of teams in the lead them who they signing with them getting updates on a live race based on suspect evidence.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Word on the street is Yankees are front runners again.

That's nice, what's more important to me is regardless they get this guy or not staying aggressive on pitching.

Having it come out were back in the lead certainly sounds like it, but don't stop there.

Someone gonna get their feelings hurt, but that's how rumors work being this close to signing here or there.  I'd kinda rather know a group of teams in the lead them who they signing with them getting updates on a live race based on suspect evidence.

Can't wait to see the Yankees fall short on this guy.  Or sign him and have him become the 2024 Irabu.  I'm good either way.

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Can't wait to see the Yankees fall short on this guy.  Or sign him and have him become the 2024 Irabu.  I'm good either way.

Kinda dark considering Irabu killed himself, but hey I've wished for many things over the years as well and Angelos is still breathing.

liam-neeson.gif.ccc9cc0c7262c5e2d5fd6fcc091119e2.gif

It's a bright lights kinda town, sink or swim, need guys that can hold their own without the pressure of being superstars for when superstars act human. 

If there's any truth that Yankees are going to look at improving bullpen NOT jus look for Aces to add to Cole and brag about in Winter I'll be optimistic for October.

Edited by Renegade7

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Kinda dark considering Irabu killed himself, but hey I've wished for many things over the years as well and Angelos is still breathing.

liam-neeson.gif.ccc9cc0c7262c5e2d5fd6fcc091119e2.gif

It's a bright lights kinda town, sink or swim, need guys that can hold their own without the pressure of being superstars for when superstars act human. 

If there's any truth that Yankees are going to look at improving bullpen NOT jus look for Aces to add to Cole and brag about in Winter I'll be optimistic for October.

Well you're the one took it there.  I merely wanted this guy to come to the Yankees and throw to a 4.80 ERA and have a Steinbrenner call him a "fat **** toad."  Then you had to get all dark with a technicality.

• Thumb up 2