Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

It isn't like Rojas made any highlight plays this game or even all series.  And CBP isn't a hard park to play defense in.

Over the course of a whole season the difference between a good fielder and a bad fielder is like 20 runs.  Over the course of 5 innings, the difference is likely 0 and easily worth the risk compared even a small increase in odds of getting a hit with bases loaded and 2 outs.

Thing is, it shouldn’t have been bases loaded. Stott should have been sent on the hit up 1. 

Of course, Castellanos came up small by not getting a run in from third with less than two outs. Just like Turner and Harper failed to get Schwarber in after his leadoff double in the fifth. I believe that was the AB that Turner tried to bunt, but couldn’t put it down. Then puts the ball in play on the left side of the infield for an unproductive out. And then that half billion duo failed again in the seventh.

They spent $118M this year on guys to go 3-36 in the two elimination games at home. 

It’s on the players.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Thing is, it shouldn’t have been bases loaded. Stott should have been sent on the hit up 1. 

Of course, Castellanos came up small by not getting a run in from third with less than two outs. Just like Turner and Harper failed to get Schwarber in after his leadoff double in the fifth. I believe that was the AB that Turner tried to bunt, but couldn’t put it down. Then puts the ball in play on the left side of the infield for an unproductive out. And then that half billion duo failed again in the seventh.

They spent $118M this year on guys to go 3-36 in the two elimination games at home. 

It’s on the players.

The players didn't force the Phillies to sign them to those contracts.  The Phililes signed them to those contracts knowing that hitters have cold stretches, that they have bad at bats, bad games, and even bad weeks.  Castellanos has a history over his career of being up and down for large chunks of whole seasons.

To blame players for losing because they had a few bad games makes less sense than blaming the manager for not adjusting to it when it is something that is statistical certainty.

(From my perspective, it can simultaneously be bad luck, the players faults, and the managers fault.)

You know your big bats have gone cold that makes getting runs when you have a chance that much more important and leaving a bases loaded 2 out situation up to your 9 hitter who plays mostly because of his defense in a park where defense isn't that important is that much worse.

Edited by PeterMP

Manfred has to be PISSED that both the Phillies & Astros gagged.  All the talk about the new playoff format being bad for the top seeded teams might get more examined after this WS ends.  The girls NCAA Basketball championship got higher ratings than any game in this WS.  I bet this new playoff format will be thrown out within 2 years.

How is it possible the lowly Washington Nationals, with their non-existent fans, out-drew the Braves and mighty, mighty, passionate Phillies? How oh how?

I was clearly told there are no real baseball fans in DC, that's a fiction.

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Really? I do remember reading a portion of a book how Short bought the team with very, very little money down. I need to do some research on that...and not post about it anymore here

Actually he was slow to the bid because of medical issues. His wife and doctor suggested he drop out.

https://boundarystones.weta.org/2017/11/17/time-bob-hope-almost-bought-washington-senators