Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

phillies fans already calling for thomson to be fired lol

Thompson didn’t really do anything wrong these last two games. I didn’t watch game 4 that they blew.

They have some decisions to make Nola and Hoskins are FAs. Bohm and Suarez will be in arbitration. Their stud pitching prospect has a delayed surgery and will miss most of next season. 

They have an ace in Wheeler and a tough lineup, but the clock is ticking on that team as Reamulto, Turner, and Harper age. Wheeler only has a year left on his contract.

• Like 1

There will be nine different WS champions in the past 10 years. I think that’s good for the sport.

Giants, Royals, Cubs, Red Sox, Astros, Nationals, Dodgers, Braves, Astros, Diamondbacks/Rangers. 

I think there have been 14 different participants in the past 10 years too. The 10 listed above plus Mets, Phillies, Indians, and Rays.

Also, 14 years extends the longest NY World Series drought in the past 100 years. New York didn’t have a WS for 15 years from 1906-1920.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Of course when it matters Harper never shows up.

I get that you all have this weird bitter Nats insecurity complex thing with Harper but this is an absurd statement for someone that has put up some historic playoff runs recently. 

he had a couple bad games. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

I like seeing Philly tears, but Nate Silver is correct.  I'll be watching the World Series no matter what but this is probably the matchup that MLB wanted to see the least.  Diamondbacks out of the NL was the worst case scenario for MLB and to the casual fan, the Rangers aren't interesting despite the fact that they fun to watch. 

MLB wants to continue to expand the playoffs and I get why...more teams in the playoffs keep more fans engaged.  But, IMO, it should be three division winners and a wildcard.  I don't give a Frenchman's **** if Darryl in Cincinnati is tuning into a Reds game in late August because they might win 85 games and sneak into the playoffs.

Nope, 4 best teams from each league.  Make the playoffs exclusive again.  None of the NHL bull**** where over half the league gets in.

You're already rewarding the regular season by granting byes. The problem is, byes can actually be a negative in baseball. Rest isn't a factor because its not a particularly tiring or physically demanding sport(unlike football where byes are HUGE).

I think the best solution if you wanna reward the regular season is to go back to five team playoffs. Two Wild Cards who play each other in a best of 3. But have the NLDS be a best of 7.

looking forward to this WS. Rarely do we have a league title game where I'm not rooting for or against someone. Last year the WS sucked because Houston still has some of their cheaters still on the roster, and Philly is insufferable. Beyond Max on Texas, I don't know much about either team but it'll be cool to learn about them over hopefully 7 games.

From USA Today in April

MLB team playrolls in 2023

1. N.Y. Mets, $353,546,854
  2. N.Y. Yankees, $276,999,872
  3. San Diego, $248,995,932
  4. Philadelphia, $243,009,439
  5. L.A. Dodgers, $222,717,834
  6. L.A. Angels, $212,228,096
  7. Toronto, $ 209,938,983
  8. Atlanta, $203,077,500
  9. Texas, $195,869,490
  10. Houston, $192,667,233
  11. San Francisco, $187,932,500
  12. Chicago Cubs, $184,219,250
  13. Boston, $181,207,484
  14. Chicago White Sox, $181,158,666
  15. St. Louis, $175,637,308
  16. Colorado, $171,108,778
  17. Minnesota, $153,588,740
  18. Seattle, $137,119,947
  19. Detroit, $122,235,500
  20. Milwaukee, $118,761,987
  21. Arizona, $116,471,292
  22. Washington, $ 101,190,153
  23. Kansas City, $92,468,100
  24. Miami, $91,700,000
  25. Cleveland,  89,424,629
  26. Cincinnati, $83,610,000
  27. Pittsburgh, $73,277,500
  28. Tampa Bay, $73,184,811
  29. Baltimore, $60,722,300
  30. Oakland, $56,895,000

I dig this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Thompson didn’t really do anything wrong these last two games. I didn’t watch game 4 that they blew.

Letting your #9 hitter hit with bases loaded with two outs seemed pretty egregious to me.  I don't their bench that well, but I know the #9 hitter is their CF and plays because of his defense.  That's a big spot in the game, and you need runs.  It seems likely they have a guy on the bench that might be a better hitter.  I know it was on the 4th inning, but in a 7th game, you got to know that might be on of the most consequential at bats in the game.  There's no way that guy should have been allowed to hit there.

How about shaking up the lineup in general.  Castellanos was like 1 for something this series.  Marsh has been hitting well.  Why not drop Castellanos to the 8 spot and move Marsh up?

And then the game 4 that they lost, using Kimbrel (who has a history of being bad in the playoffs) the day after blowing game 3 was also bad.

(Thompson manages in a way that deflects blame from himself (e.g. doesn't change his lineup uses the bullpen pretty much the same way, etc.).  Which can be good because it gives the players consistency.  But when it isn't/doesn't work leaves the players to blame and causes you to lose games.  Thompson also doesn't do anything during the regular season to stretch his players.  Thompson is the problem with the at least the superficial analytics movement which is based on long term averages and large scale data sets.  But what happened in a game between the White Sox and the Tigers on July 20th has no bearing on what the Phillies should do against the Diamond Backs in a 7th game of a playoff series in Oct.  And acting like you are getting any real information about what to do in a game 7 in Oct. from a game in July between two teams that won't make the playoffs is dumb.

The best way as a manager to not get blamed is just to do the same thing.  And that's what Thompson does even if his players are clearly struggling.  It isn't fault.  He did what he always does.  But figuring out how you to adjust when your players are struggling should be part of the managers job.  Keep putting somebody in the same position that is clearly struggling isn't doing that.  And yes, that might make sense to do in the regular season when you have time for the law averages to kick in, but not in a game 6 and 7 of a playoff series.)

Edited by PeterMP

33 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Letting your #9 hitter hit with bases loaded with two outs seemed pretty egregious to me.  I don't their bench that well, but I know the #9 hitter is their CF and plays because of his defense.  That's a big spot in the game, and you need runs.  It seems likely they have a guy on the bench that might be a better hitter.  I know it was on the 4th inning, but in a 7th game, you got to know that might be on of the most consequential at bats in the game.  There's no way that guy should have been allowed to hit there.

How about shaking up the lineup in general.  Castellanos was like 1 for something this series.  Marsh has been hitting well.  Why not drop Castellanos to the 8 spot and move Marsh up?

And then the game 4 that they lost, using Kimbrel (who has a history of being bad in the playoffs) the day after blowing game 3 was also bad.

(Thompson manages in a way that deflects blame from himself (e.g. doesn't change his lineup uses the bullpen pretty much the same way, etc.).  Which can be good because it gives the players consistency.  But when it isn't/doesn't work leaves the players to blame and causes you to lose games.  Thompson also doesn't do anything during the regular season to stretch his players.  Thompson is the problem with the at least the superficial analytics movement which is based on long term averages and large scale data sets.  But what happened in a game between the White Sox and the Tigers on July 20th has no bearing on what the Phillies should do against the Diamond Backs in a 7th game of a playoff series in Oct.  And acting like you are getting any real information about what to do in a game 7 in Oct. from a game in July between two teams that won't make the playoffs is dumb.

The best way as a manager to not get blamed is just to do the same thing.  And that's what Thompson does even if his players are clearly struggling.  It isn't fault.  He did what he always does.  But figuring out how you to adjust when your players are struggling should be part of the managers job.  Keep putting somebody in the same position that is clearly struggling isn't doing that.  And yes, that might make sense to do in the regular season when you have time for the law averages to kick in, but not in a game 6 and 7 of a playoff series.)

Thompson will take the fall. 

There’s a reason that he plays a no-hit CFer everyday. It’s because the team, offensively, was built around four high priced DHs, Turner, and Reamulto. (I only consider Harper a DH because he’s coming back from TJ. He did a nice job of converting to first to get Schwarber’s liability off the field. Made a bad play on the Carroll steal, but fortunately he didn’t score).

Their bench didn’t really carry a good PH choice. Not like AZ with Thomas or Pham. But, yeah, they had three options better than Rojas. Maybe they deliver. Maybe they don’t and then AZ splits the Phillies OFers with hits in the gap that get to the wall over the next five innings.

As far as mixing up the lineup, Anderson/Darling/Franceuor talked about how they should drop Bohm and Marsh. But the pre-Arb guys ended up being the only ones who did much of anything.

51 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Thompson will take the fall. 

There’s a reason that he plays a no-hit CFer everyday. It’s because the team, offensively, was built around four high priced DHs, Turner, and Reamulto. (I only consider Harper a DH because he’s coming back from TJ. He did a nice job of converting to first to get Schwarber’s liability off the field. Made a bad play on the Carroll steal, but fortunately he didn’t score).

Their bench didn’t really carry a good PH choice. Not like AZ with Thomas or Pham. But, yeah, they had three options better than Rojas. Maybe they deliver. Maybe they don’t and then AZ splits the Phillies OFers with hits in the gap that get to the wall over the next five innings.

As far as mixing up the lineup, Anderson/Darling/Franceuor talked about how they should drop Bohm and Marsh. But the pre-Arb guys ended up being the only ones who did much of anything.

It isn't like Rojas made any highlight plays this game or even all series.  And CBP isn't a hard park to play defense in.

Over the course of a whole season the difference between a good fielder and a bad fielder is like 20 runs.  And that takes into account parks taht are much bigger or have other things that make them hard to play defense in than CBP.  Over the course of 5 innings, the difference is likely 0 and easily worth the risk compared even a small increase in odds of getting a hit with bases loaded and 2 outs.

Edited by PeterMP