Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Don’t care that he went to the Dodgers.  Hilarious seeing Yankees fans cry about other teams spending money and being left out in the cold this offseason. 

More money for more pitchers, we weren't going to stop with him anyway.

Edited by Renegade7

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Looks like you weren’t getting started with him either. 

Lolz, I mean, I got NYY in my bleacher report app, saw he met us in NY and we made him an offer directly that was at least $300m. Got him a jersey, Godzilla met him, I don't think any if that mattered because Dodgers goin straight Kylo Ren with that Brinks truck.

kylo-ren-more.gif.f54b9dd277664dcffd434477f6f54b33.gif

Dodgers added an extra $25m, so did Mets, if this really was nothing but a highest bidder situation, I'm curious how the Yankees decern who's serious about winning versus collecting the highest paycheck win or lose.  Dodgers want more then that, Yankess already got a brand.

I'll be more concerned if we can't get Jordan Montgomery...can't have it all ways, can't say I don't want to continue a bidding war with Dodgers then say I don't want to overpay for Jordan jus to put another starter in the rotation.  

We might be able to pull off one trade for legit starter after what we did for Soto and I lean towards waiting to see who's selling once season starts then right now...potentially knowing we need more help and not being able to doesn't sound like fun.

Yankees want to get back in the deep end of the free agent pool need to stop acting surprised folks are already swimming there. Dodgers are letting it be known at some point their jus gonna have to be straight up outbid. I believe this was worth it to at least say we had two legit starters...folks gonna squint their eyes if we walk into spring training talkin about work we did to improve our bullpen when we needed to do more.

In a who'd you rather overpay situation based on situation at hand, I have concerns we might regret drawing a line with this guy.  But I've been wrong before.

Edited by Renegade7

3 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Already bought tickets to the first game of their series here in Washington.

They play twice in Bronx, once over weekend in June and again mid-week in August. 

I remember waiting so I had better chance at getting right game to see first time Max in DC as a Met.

Can't imagine it not being arm and a leg jus to get in there, but I'll admit if I'm gonna take train all the way up there I want to see Cole start.  Jus seeing anyone start I can do that from home or a bar.

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Who wants to tell brother Ren that the Yankees already had Jordan Montgomery?

That's been in the articles I read as a "reassuring the reading that increases our chances of bringing him back"... : /

I am making an attempt to do my homework in context to how much there is...man, actually looking at history and tou see stuff like some of Yankees best teams was in the 1930s and coming from a team that I remember their inaugural game in stadium we built them...

If I don't be humble about it, I'll get humbled, Dad already warned me...

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Who wants to tell brother Ren that the Yankees already had Jordan Montgomery?

Yeah, but they flipped him for Harrison Bader who is currently their starting…oh wait, nevermind.

Now that Yomamato has signed, hopefully the dominos start falling. Snell, Montgomery, Bellinger, and Chapman are all looking for big contracts (I think those are the ones left for the mega contracts).  You also have teams like Toronto, Boston, and NYM who have also kept their powder dry.

• Like 1

As a Yankees fan, I'll admit I’m somewhat disappointed. But I wasn’t counting on it happening either.

The Dodgers will be an interesting follow.

I hope the Yankees don’t trade for Dylan Cease as plan B.

And the Yankees are not a serious franchise with Cashman as GM. The guy doesn’t know how to build a roster with a top 3 budget…. and never develops it’s prospects. Always reactive patchwork.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Thumb up 1

18 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

The pressure to win every game is going to be insane for them. For the sake of the sport, I hope it doesn't come close to working. 

The Dodgers are one of the most well run teams in the game...if not the best, they're in the top 5 pretty easily.  I get that people are upset that they're spending money but whatever, it's not like Ohtani and Yamamoto were going to go to the Pirates or the White Sox or something.  

41 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

As a Yankees fan, I'll admit I’m somewhat disappointed. But I wasn’t counting on it happening either.

The Dodgers will be an interesting follow.

I hope the Yankees don’t trade for Dylan Cease as plan B.

And the Yankees are not a serious franchise with Cashman as GM. The guy doesn’t know how to build a roster with a top 3 budget…. and never develops it’s prospects. Always reactive patchwork.

I think the only way NYY could outbid Baltimore for Cease would be to include Dominguez and Volpe. And that would be a bad idea.

22 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Dodgers are one of the most well run teams in the game...if not the best, they're in the top 5 pretty easily.  I get that people are upset that they're spending money but whatever, it's not like Ohtani and Yamamoto were going to go to the Pirates or the White Sox or something.  

Well run and outspending most others. In recent years it got them a 2020 covid year ring and a bunch of falling short before and after that. They can go spend another billion. Can't buy chemistry and hopefully every year another Howie Kendrick shows up to eliminate them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Or the Orioles...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Sad 1

Grading Yoshinobu Yamamoto's contract with Los Angeles Dodgers

Until today, Gerrit Cole's contract -- a nine-year, $324 million deal -- was the richest ever given to a pitcher in terms of total value. Has that deal been worth it for the New York Yankees? So far, absolutely. He's been outstanding in each of his four seasons for New York, and last season, he won his first-ever Cy Young Award. It's mind-boggling to call that much money an efficient expenditure for any team, even one in a big market, but so far for the Yankees, it has been.

Whether it's a free agent deal that changes the course of a team's future or a blockbuster trade that has the league buzzing, our experts are ready to weigh in.

The contract that the Dodgers agreed to with Japanese phenom Yoshinobu Yamamoto -- 12 years, $325 million -- now eclipses Cole's pact on the all-time pitching contract leaderboard by a measly million dollars -- and those figures don't include the $50.6 million posting fee the Dodgers will pay for handing out this deal. In the end, the Dodgers just made the biggest splurge a team has ever made on a pitcher (at least one who isn't also a 40-homer hitter, like Yamamoto's new teammate, Shohei Ohtani). They did this for a 5-foot-10, 176-pound, 25-year-old righty who has never thrown an inning in the major leagues.

Stretched over 12 years, Yamamoto's $27.1 million average annual value is less than Cole's $36 million, and ranks behind other star hurlers like Justin Verlander, Jacob deGrom and Max Scherzer. Still, you can look at Cole as the standard. All Yamamoto has to do is produce like Cole, and the Dodgers will come out well ahead on this deal -- and as you'll see by the grade on this transaction below, there are lots of reasons to believe that L.A. just landed a hurler with an All-Star-level probability and the upside of a generational player.

So far, though, it's all hypothetical -- and of course, that's where things might get complicated.

Yamamoto has been referred to as perhaps the greatest pitcher ever in the NPB. His numbers in Japan, compiled over a seven-year career that started when he was 18, are the stuff of a poorly programmed video game. He went 75-30 for the Orix Buffaloes with 1.72 ERA, 0.92 WHIP and 9.2 strikeouts per nine innings during that time. And he kept getting better: Last season, he went 16-6, giving him five more wins than any other pitcher in the circuit, with a Gibson-esque 1.21 ERA. Over 164 innings, he allowed two home runs. Two. Homer rates are a lot lower in the Japanese Pacific League than in MLB, but that's still a ridiculous number.

There are plenty of detailed scouting reports out there that break down Yamamoto's arsenal, but the basics: The foundation of his six-pitch repertoire is a four-seamer/splitter combo that should have little trouble translating to the majors. Think of standouts like Ohtani and Kevin Gausman. His curveball drops off a table -- it's a thing of beauty to behold. And if you want to look for areas of further improvement, some scouting reports suggest his cutter and slider have the potential to get better. All of these offerings come alongside elite command, a description that might not do justice to the precision with which Yamamoto delivers his offerings.

So what does all of this mean for his time in MLB? First, let's consider a consensus approach for his rookie season, using stat-based projections from three systems -- Clay Davenport, Steamer and ZIPS -- that deploy various approaches to translating his NPB performance.....................

6 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Well run and outspending most others. In recent years it got them a 2020 covid year ring and a bunch of falling short before and after that. They can go spend another billion. Can't buy chemistry and hopefully every year another Howie Kendrick shows up to eliminate them. 

I really don't see the issue with how much they spend. 

Despite picking near the end of the draft each year, they routinely have a top 10 farm system.  Previous to this offseason, they've spent money to keep players they've drafted and developed (Kershaw) or extend players they've acquired via trade (Betts).  Freddie Freeman was a fairly expensive free agent acquisition but I don't find it offensive to outspend other teams when the majority of the money being spent is being used to lock up your own guys and extend ones you've traded for.   

That brings us to this offseason where they opened up and spent a ton of money on Ohtani and Yamamoto, which, whatever.  If it wasn't going to be them to sign either one of those guys (or both) it would have been another big market team like the Yankees or the Mets.  

What's anyone expect, a guy like Ohtani to end up with the Pirates?  Even with a salary floor and a salary cap, would anyone think that he'd end up in Cleveland?  

So, hats off to the Dodgers, a team that continues to be able to stock it's major league team with great young talent that they've scouted, drafted and developed on their own and use that talent to swing trades when necessary, too.  They are a far, far cry from a complete mess of a disaster like the Yankees who can't get out of their own way.

EDIT:  I mean, the ****in Rangers took on like half a billion in salaries a couple years ago, did anyone here have an issue with it?

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Thumb up 1