Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Cult of Case

Tsailand

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Dude won't even be on the roster..this all part of a trade package to get Rosen..

I'm having a hard time with this.

The only incentive for Keenum to reduce his salary in a trade is that he'd end up with a one-year prove it contract with a team that needed a starter.  I can't imagine his agent would be stupid enough not to put a no trade clause in the new contract to prevent him from being shipped to a different team with an established starter.  In a few days he'd be able to pick his team and still make $7M

If Arizona wanted Keenum as a backup, they didn't need the Skins  as an intermediary.  Denver just wanted to free up $3.5M in cap space and Arizona has plenty of cap space.  It's not like its been any big secret that he was available.

If nothing else happens from this point on, Colt is our starter and Case is the back up. There is zero chance Gruden starts Case over Colt, unless it isn't Gruden's decision, which in that case will probably lead to the tank many are looking for anyways. This trade for Keenum does not move the needle either direction for me in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, theTruthTeller said:

The only incentive for Keenum to reduce his salary in a trade is that he'd end up with a one-year prove it contract with a team that needed a starter.  I can't imagine his agent would be stupid enough not to put a no trade clause in the new contract to prevent him from being shipped to a different team with an established starter.  In a few days he'd be able to pick his team and still make $7M

If Arizona wanted Keenum as a backup, they didn't need the Skins  as an intermediary.  Denver just wanted to free up $3.5M in cap space and Arizona has plenty of cap space.  It's not like its been any big secret that he was available.

Just wondering are we trying to lower our cap by getting Keenum and then cutting Colt?

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

This is not directed to at you battered: 

Many of you are just making way too much out of a extremely depth move at QB. And please all of you about to provide all the recent history of the team, just save it. I know the history in minute detail. I have been here. I know exactly what has happened and when the team has **** the bed I have been front and center in calling them out on it. I get the apathy as with all the change the only constant has been our failure. I get it. 

As much as I want them to leave QB alone and prepare for 2020, you can't honestly expect them to do that. It's a totally ridiculous expectation. If you are going to lose your **** every time they make a move that might just actually help the team and make them even the slightest bit better, you are in for a very long off-season and beyond. 

It could be argued that all of us make way too much out of what big strangers do in tights. 

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

This isn't a bad move at all.  It gives McCoy competition (or insurance as a backup, Keenum is better than Johnson and Sanchez) and leaves the door open to still draft a QB.  

Colt thrives when competition is in close proximity.

2 hours ago, sempre_victrix said:

As much as I hate our FO, considering our CAP numbers, this is a great move.  It basically cost us nothing and we still have money to land a good safety in FA.  We could potentially trade for Rosen and have a real battle in camp for starting QB, all on the cheap.  At least we're no longer in desperation mode for a QB.

And I think that's the positive side of this move....flexibility!

We gave up and are paying virtually nothing so we have basically the same flexibility we had before this trade to add a QB either through the draft, a trade, etc. At the same time, we now basically have a more durable Colt McCoy, so if a formula of a strong running game, defense, and timely passing plays does have us surprisingly at 6-3 again next year, we have a better shot of sustaining that success. That means we don't have to sell the farm or reach if the right QB scenario doesn't come up this off-season. 

Is this the outcome that the front office intended? Who knows, but this is the result that I see. 

1 hour ago, theTruthTeller said:

Can we just hope that I'm right..I mean you really telling me Case keenum is going to be our quarterback week 1..?? How much did it cost us so I can put my best friend in his place... He called me talking crap as usual about how Snyder is shelling out all kinds of money.. tell me it's not so.. Bruce is really reaching for that 3 game win season isn't he

The only reason

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I thought you were implying that they like Michael Floyd so much they wouldn't give his number away in case they can re-sign him.

They really did seem to like Michael Floyd at the end of the year. He seemed to get a ton of playing time.

2 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

The only incentive for Keenum to reduce his salary in a trade is that he'd end up with a one-year prove it contract with a team that needed a starter. 

I don't think Keenum had any say in the matter. He's under contract. Two teams agreed to the financials and traded that contract. Keenum just follows the contract wherever it is moved. It's quite possible that everyone was assuming he'd be cut and the Skins jumped the line with this deal. Sort of smart, IMO. 

58 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Just wondering are we trying to lower our cap by getting Keenum and then cutting Colt?

Net net I think the cap # would go up even if we cut Colt. I'm guessing the Skins thinking here is that the cap hit with this trade is lower than a cap hit would have been if we just signed a similar FA. The cost in draft picks is essentially nil. 

Listen the reality is this, Keenum 2 years ago was playing in the NFC championship game, He took the same team Cousins failed with and was one game away from the Big Show. On the flip side Kenum was average to bad last year playing for the Broncos. Anyone who follows football knows not every place is going to be a ideal fit for a QB, I think both cousins and Alex Smith along with keenum proved that last season.

I'm coming into this trade very optimistic, Gruden is a QB's coach, i honestly believe he can channel the 2017 Keenum and the 2017 Keenum proved he can win. I'll take a guy who proved he can win over a 1st round pick who never has (Rosen) and a career backup (McCoy) who couldn't even survive 2 games as a starter. This trade made sense.

So let's go Twilight Zone on this..

We go from KC who had great numbers but not a great record...

To.....

CK...

Maybe like the initials, we'll get the mirror opposite and he'll have crap numbers but a great record....

Like..bizarro world or some **** like that...

Archived