Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME ROB RYAN AS INSIDE LINEBACKERS COACH

TK

1 hour ago, theTruthTeller said:

Ironically, it was the 47-14 loss to the Redskins which caused him to be fired as DC in NO.

And didn’t we also get him fired from the cowboys as defensive coordinator because of those two losses to us in 2012 as well? 

Now we can for the 3rd time be the reason he gets fired😂😂😂

56 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Redskins turning into the Wizards, people I cant stand making decisions I actually like every once in a while.  This is good move, can easily be promoted to DC in case someone get fired if goal is more aggressive defense.

Ya..we couldn't have played a more soft defense with the DB's playing off and NO Blitzs . Drove me crazy how 3rd and 9 was converted so easily because the LB left gaping holes in the coverage...some of that was speed..but why CALL/PLAY it if the talent can't execute??? I think Robby would rather bring all 11 to smother the QB than play those coverages. Anyway...a LB coach position...what the big deal..kick the tires and see if Rob is hungry..

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

Second position coach hire who was unemployed for an extended period. Who needs the Virginia Employment Commission when you have the Redskins?

They'll learn soon enough that it was better for their resume to be unemployed than working for the Redskins.

Rob Ryan.  Excellent hire!  Now I am getting excited! 

Rob Ryan usually lasts for about a year in a job.  His last job was at Buffalo coaching under his brother which was a disaster of epic proportions.  Then no coaching past two years.

I love it because now you have two strong personalities in Rob Ryan and Ray Horton who were once DC themselves and consider HC material at one time on board.   If you can’t see the potential train wreck coming then you are blind as a bat.   Having two strong personality coaches that were not hired by the DC and asked to work as position coaches under a weak DC like Manusky is going to be a drama on steroids.  Think Hue Jackson and Todd Haley at the Browns last year.  The screaming and undermining that led to both being fired mid-season is being set up.  

The defense is going to have to carry the team because the offense will be not only be lacking a franchise quarterback but will be either dependent on Colt who gets injured a lot or someone else who needs to learn the offense.  No continuity nor talent on that side of the ball.  So the defense will be under incredible pressure to perform because they will need to salvage the season to save jobs such as Jay’s...Bruce’s...Tony Wylie’s....etc.

I can picture massive ego clashes and drama coming when heated arguments ensue over the direction, schemes or whatever if the defense doesn’t perform at a top 10 level with each of the above mentioned coaches just recently hired angling to take Manusky’s job.  

Rob Ryan is an in-your-face kind of coach and not popular on coaching staffs.  I have watch games with Ray Horton and he is similar but not quite as volatile.  There is a reason why they bounce around and were not coaching the past year or two.

Bruce can’t get a decent coach to come to the Redskins so he goes after once well known has beens to elicit some excitement among the fans by creating a All-Star coaching staff.  But once again Bruce shows his ineptitude because what he is doin is akin to creating a Disco Era All-Star Band in 2019.  

Won’t work and for THAT I am excited and praise the move because the hope is growing by the day

1 hour ago, gooseneck said:

Just need Jerry Glanville  to call plays for the offense and I could get into watching the Redskins again.  We could also end the controversy about the name my calling them the Washington "Jerry Springers" 

LOL....that's the funniest thing I heard all day.  I need that.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

A lot of negativity in here. But Ryan's stats speak for themself. He is a hell of a defensive coach. And a great signing IMO.

I agree his stats speak for themselves - but not in a good way. Below are his last 4 seasons.  He had a decent 2013 in all but stopping the run... hmmm  2014 he spiraled down to almost last in everything. He was best (if you call 25th best) in passing. But who needs to pass when you can run all day on him. 2015 - well that season mercifully ended for him right after we beat the **** out his D for 47 pts.   Then he went to Buffalo and yes he was better - but he really no place to go but up. Still could not stop the run! 29th! 

Sucked 3 of the last 4 yrs coaching and has not been in the league for 2 yrs. Sorry I do not see this a great or even good signing  - unless you are tanking for 2020. He is right down there with our bottom feeding STs coach. 

Now, I will say this, him taking a smaller role like LBS coach may allow him to be more successful. But I doubt it. 

NO          pts/gm     yds/gm    passing   rushing

2013 -       4th             4th            2nd         19th    

2014 -       28th         31st           25th         29th  

2015 -      32nd         31st           31st          31st

Buf 

2016 -      16th          19th            6th           29th   

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree his stats speak for themselves - but not in a good way. Below are his last 4 seasons.  He had a decent 2013 in all but stopping the run... hmmm  2014 he spiraled down to almost last in everything. He was best (if you call 25th best) in passing. But who needs to pass when you can run all day on him. 2015 - well that season mercifully ended for him right after we beat the **** out his D for 47 pts.   Then he went to Buffalo and yes he was better - but he really no place to go but up. Still could not stop the run! 29th! 

Sucked 3 of the last 4 yrs coaching and has not been in the league for 2 yrs. Sorry I do not see this a great or even good signing  - unless you are tanking for 2020. He is right down there with our bottom feeding STs coach. 

Now, I will say this, him taking a smaller role like LBS coach may allow him to be more successful. But I doubt it. 

NO          pts/gm     yds/gm    passing   rushing

2013 -       4th             4th            2nd         19th    

2014 -       28th         31st           25th         29th  

2015 -      32nd         31st           31st          31st

Buf 

2016 -      16th          19th            6th           29th   

You should probably take a look at the list of LB's Ryan developed. Then question whether or not he can have a positive impact on LB's.  Here I will help you out: Teddy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Keith Brooking, Demarcus Ware, Sean Lee, Victor Butler, Anthony Spencer, Curtis Lofton, and Junior Galette. The majority of them with average athleticism and arguably a few of them are hall of famers. The guy has been a defensive coach for 30 years and 20 of those in the NFL. Players love playing for him for a reason. He is aggressive and knows how to apply pressure in the 3-4. So we will just have to disagree I guess. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

You should probably take a look at the list of LB's Ryan developed. Then question whether or not he can have a positive impact on LB's.  Here I will help you out: Teddy Bruschi, Ted Johnson, Willie McGinest, Bryan Cox, Roman Phifer, Mike Vrabel, Keith Brooking, Demarcus Ware, Sean Lee, Victor Butler, Anthony Spencer, Curtis Lofton, and Junior Galette. The majority of them with average athleticism and arguably a few of them are hall of famers. The guy has been a defensive coach for 30 years and 20 of those in the NFL. Players love playing for him for a reason. He is aggressive and knows how to apply pressure in the 3-4. So we will just have to disagree I guess. 

I am very well aware of who and where he has coached. And i never said he could not help our LBs - good grief someone has to. In fact I finished my statement with if he had a chance to be successful here it would be because of the smaller role of LBs coach instead of DC. 

My point is while sure he was a very good DC 15 or 20 yrs ago, you are measured by what you have done most recently. And out of the last 6 yrs, he had one decent season - the first of those 6. Since then his Ds have been just awful, especially not being able to stop the run in any of them. 

Sorry, just not seeing this as a good hire. Would be really happy to be proven wrong. I will be rooting for him to be successful just like I do anyone coming here. But man, this just does not look good. 

For those of you who are into understanding defense. Here is a really good article on the x's and o's of Ryans defensive philosophy. Granted he isnt our DC. But he will be in the meeting rooms. And he know's pressure. Something Manusky has struggled with is applying consistent pressure IMO. It is what his entire defensive scheme is based on. Force fast decisions out of the QB to force mistakes. One of the biggest changes to the modern NFL is the importance of turnovers. Dont get me wrong they have always been important. But with the rules and penalties slanted so far towards the offense, turnovers have become everything to an NFL defense. I am really looking forward to seeing what Ryan can get out of Kerrigan and Foster. If nothing else we should be entertained:

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2013/6/26/4461784/saints-rob-ryan-defense-2013-scheme

Archived