Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS NAME ROB RYAN AS INSIDE LINEBACKERS COACH

TK

On 1/31/2019 at 8:27 PM, RandyHolt said:

Ryan should be fine here trying to sort out Zach Foster and Foster.

I will be surprised if either guy is on the roster next season. I expect the starting inside backers to be Foster (subject to league suspension) and SDH/and or a draft choice. Devin White might be there when we pick and would transform the position especially next to Foster. We need depth though assuming Foster and Brown do leave.

7 hours ago, MartinC said:

I will be surprised if either guy is on the roster next season. I expect the starting inside backers to be Foster (subject to league suspension) and SDH/and or a draft choice. Devin White might be there when we pick and would transform the position especially next to Foster. We need depth though assuming Foster and Brown do leave.

I think I may be alone in thinking our ILBs are fine. It was how they were used. The same 2 players the year before, did fine. 

With Cousins at QB.  With Smith, we slowed played on both sides of the ball. That is code for bend don't break,  Another factor, we played our ILBs differently because we had a more stout DL.

I have a little theory, many players on defense do great when allowed to be aggressive, instinctive, and attack.  Those same players, forced to be passive, ignore instincts and their strengths, and read, sucky suck suck.

What we ask our insides to do next year, should dictate if those 2 returning can excel enough to keep us fans happy. 

The key, just watch how slow they are to react, every damn play. it was hard to watch. And then folks wonder why they are late or take a bad angle.

1 minute ago, RandyHolt said:

The key, just watch how slow they are to react, every damn play. it was hard to watch. And then folks wonder why they are late or take a bad angle.

I've watched quite a few cut ups/clips from this last season of Foster in particular. The number of false steps he takes is ridiculous - his play recognition based on down and distance/formation/tendency is just awful. I was looking at a play on Twitter a week or so ago from the Tampa game when there was an offset back to the QBs right in shotgun - Foster had the back in man coverage and with no play action at all Foster took about 4 steps crashing the A gap playing run while the back released into the flat wide open. By the time Foster reacted it was all over. Easy completion - 10 yard gain before the back was forced out of bounds.

That kind of thing happened time and again. Now I blame coaches for that as much as players - it's part of a coaches job to identify that kind of recognition error and fix it. Or put that player on the bench and play someone who does it right. But at some point it is about talent or lack thereof.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I've watched quite a few cut ups/clips f....

Seems like much more than me! I defer to your expertise focusing in on them. I just watch them during replays more than anything else, and that is just at random times during the year.  I thought Foster while not perfect, was serviceable in 2017.  At least no one could beat him out, if not.

I wonder if Zach is a better case study.  I think consensus is that he did very well in 17.  I do think he had some not so well documented injuries early in the year... going from memory.

Foster and Foster fostered by Ryan should be interesting. 

Archived