Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

As much as the thought of anyone but Scherzer/Stras on the mound for game seven worries me, you can't plan for it to go that long.  They have to take the hill for games 1-2 and 5-6, unless one of them is going to pull a 2001 Schilling and go 1-4-7 while the other does 2-6.

I haven't watched many other teams other than the Nats games.  I know the Yankees and Astros have solid lineups.  Are either of the susceptible to Sanchez's offspeed junk the ways the Dodgers and Cards were?

• Like 1

Watching some of tonight's game I'll say...both lineups are really tough, but the Yankees are definitely the easier of the two. They tend to have a lot of 2012-2017 Nats like tendencies where they'll try to hit a 900 foot homer every time. The Astros on the other hand, good grief every AB is a grind. I'm not sure our SPs can go 7+ everytime against them. Even 6 would be a herculean task. On the flip side, while Cole and Verlander are both beasts, Grienke gets a case of nervous nellies and we can probably beat up on their #4 guy.

I'd REALLY like our chances against the Yankees. Against the Astros...to be honest our chances are probably below 30%. But hey, at one point our playoff probability was like .1%, so I'd take that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

The sooner the Astros or Yankees finish off the ALCS the more that "rest advantage" the Nats have is equalled out. I am worried. One team has won the WS after sweeping the NLCS. Just one.

My theory about that is most of those teams were riding really hot hitting and cooled off as where the 95 Braves who actually won the WS was riding their big 3 (Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz) .  Nats pitching has clearly carried them thus far.  Of course some clutch hitting!  But clearly that sweep of the Cardinals was a complete and utter domination by the starters.  Rest can really benefit them after the first two rounds and wild card.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

The sooner the Astros or Yankees finish off the ALCS the more that "rest advantage" the Nats have is equalled out. I am worried. One team has won the WS after sweeping the NLCS. Just one.

We had a 1% chance of making the playoffs at 19-31.

ONE PERCENT.

These historical numbers don't mean anything about what is going to happen.  It shows you what HAS happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1