Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Just now, mammajamma said:

I'm a little confused on the DH rules. If a pitcher gets burned early and we have to pull them out, does the DH get burned for the game too?

No, the DH is whoever you want it to be for however long you want them there....you can have someone PH for them later like Matt Adams if you want a power bat instead

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Wouldn't you make Howie the DH and let Asrubal or Dozier play 2nd?

Guess it depends on who they think is the better defender at 2B between Cabrera and Kendrick. It’s pretty close between the two (ie neither particularly great). But you’ll want all your best bats in the lineup early in games, and have Dozier ready for a late inning defensive sub. 

6 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Minus a bad start, Verlander was Verlander. Now they both get on airplanes to Houston and play in 24 hours. 

I know the stats about the team who gets more rest. But that's already a set for us. I'd kind of like to see 2 more AL games now. 

I agree....tomorrow their BPs are doing the heavy lifting....that bodes well for us

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Guess it depends on who they think is the better defender at 2B between Cabrera and Kendrick. It’s pretty close between the two (ie neither particularly great). But you’ll want all your best bats in the lineup early in games, and have Dozier ready for a late inning defensive sub. 

I’d think they’d opt to DH Howie & play Cabrera at 2B.  I don’t even think that’s a question.  Same obviously if Dozier is in the lineup.  

Edited by -JB-

8 hours ago, Bacon said:

The fact that this is going at least 6 with the open travel day taken out is already good news. 7 would be optimal. 

The Nationals were also pressured into playing constantly and did well. I'm telling you, rest is bad in baseball.

1 hour ago, Metalhead said:

Lol. You must get incredibly angry whenever a pitcher is pinch-hit for then.

Nope. Because its not always an easy choice. Down by a run or 2 with 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd and your pitcher's AB is next. He's also been pitching well and only is at 70 pitches. Bottom of the 6th. 

Love that all those things play a factor. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, -JB- said:

It would be funny if, instead of implementing the AL’s DH rule, they made a rule where only other pitchers could pinch hit for pitchers lol

This, I could get behind. If "purists" want pitchers to bat then this would be the solution.

In this day of analytics, advanced metrics, and stat parsing for every possible advantage to give your team a better chance to win, the NL throws it out the window and still trots out .108 hitters...but then pinch-hits (exact equivalent of DH) for them in the last four innings anyway. Now that is ridiculous.

Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Nope. Because its not always an easy choice. Down by a run or 2 with 2 outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd and your pitcher's AB is next. He's also been pitching well and only is at 70 pitches. Bottom of the 6th. 

Love that all those things play a factor. 

And if there is a DH you can already have a better hitter in the box AND keep your pitcher in the game. Better chance to win, right?

2 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

This, I could get behind. If "purists" want pitchers to bat then this would be the solution.

In this day of analytics, advanced metrics, and stat parsing for every possible advantage to give your team a better chance to win, the NL throws it out the window and still trots out .108 hitters...but then pinch-hits (exact equivalent of DH) for them in the last four innings anyway. Now that is ridiculous.

And if there is a DH you can already have a better hitter in the box AND keep your pitcher in the game. Better chance to win, right?

🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Love that all those things play a factor

At 70 pitches you probably leave them in, unless your bullpen is good and well rested.   Or "down by a run or two" means trailing 4-3 or 4-2 and not 2-1 or 2-0.  A pitcher whose allowed 4 or more runs through 6 innings is going to get pulled in either league.

The decision to pull the pitcher is rarely driven by the desire to pinch hit for him.  

The other side of the coin is the fact that is with no DH, the use of pinch hitters is for the most part is dictated by the need to use them to pinch hit for relievers late in the game.   In the AL, the manager has more freedom to use pinch hitters/runners without having to use them replace his pitchers.

Edited by DCSaints_fan

20 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

At 70 pitches you probably leave them in, unless your bullpen is good and well rested.   Or "down by a run or two" means trailing 4-3 or 4-2 and not 2-1 or 2-0.  A pitcher whose allowed 4 or more runs through 6 innings is going to get pulled in either league.

The decision to pull the pitcher is rarely driven by the desire to pinch hit for him.  

The other side of the coin is the fact that is with no DH, the use of pinch hitters is for the most part is dictated by the need to use them to pinch hit for relievers late in the game.   In the AL, the manager has more freedom to use pinch hitters/runners without having to use them replace his pitchers.

I’d say the decision to pull Sanchez in game 3 vs Dodgers backfired because he was pitching really well but his pitch count was getting high which made it easier to pinch hit for him in a close game with runners on base.  But you’d think if Nats had larger lead than 2-1 at that point then keeping in Sanchez would have been easier decision.  They ended up giving up 7 runs the very next inning but you don’t question the decision to pinch hit because his pitch count was high and you felt getting runs there would be huge.  Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  It makes managing games in NL tougher in my opinion.

Edited by -JB-

34 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with this... There is a ton of spots in a game, especially if you have a good BP, where you'd do this if you need runs. It adds a TON of strategy to both sides trying to determine who's hitting in the bottom of the inning

Also, nobody is saying one is right or wrong. Just one requires a lot more strategy than the other, so depends on what you're into

I would have to think that with our starting pitchers that can go deep, and limited bullpen, it will give us an advantage we didn't have this postseason yet

• Like 1