Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

4 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

agreed on both paragraphs

ya ive seen some of the comments from Astros fans on some DC media tweets, and its not great... dont think they have humor in Houston. I think by the end of this series, we may not like the astros as much as we did before

I try to keep my feelings about teams and their fans separate, but it's nearly impossible sometimes. I actually find these particular Braves and Yankees teams quite likable, but their fans are something else.

The Redskins are a putrid barge toxifying everything it touches, but somehow their hardcore fans are largely terrific people. I like to think that being a Redskins fan prepares you for the disappointments of life. Meanwhile, you occasionally get a perfect synthesis of **** like the Eagles and their fans. Those are the least conflicting scenarios.

I wouldn't worry too much about longer suffering Astros fans.  There hasn't been much for them to be happy about over the years, and they're suddenly really good.  Bandwagon fans might be an issue.

Think of the Red Sox.  No one really hated their fans, besides the Yankees, prior to 2004.  They were a long suffering fanbase.  A few trophies turned them into dicks.

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

I wouldn't worry too much about longer suffering Astros fans.  There hasn't been much for them to be happy about over the years, and they're suddenly really good.  Bandwagon fans might be an issue.

Think of the Red Sox.  No one really hated their fans, besides the Yankees, prior to 2004.  They were a long suffering fanbase.  A few trophies turned them into dicks.

It's usually the bandwagon fans that are the issue. I don't have a problem with bandwagoners, per se, I am a bandwagon Caps fan, I'll follow them loosely during the season, then more intently during the playoffs. However, most bandwagon fans need to "prove" themselves, and just hop on to talk ****.

Look at Cubs fans. They went from Loveable Losers to Arrogant Douchebags in a heartbeat. Most long-suffering Cubs fans I know aren't that way. They just hate the Cardinals and more specifically, Yadi Molina.

13 hours ago, mammajamma said:

ya ive seen some of the comments from Astros fans on some DC media tweets, and its not great... dont think they have humor in Houston. I think by the end of this series, we may not like the astros as much as we did before

You'd think with the sky high obesity rates in Houston, we'd encounter a bunch of jolly fat people

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Bacon said:

Wish I could say that I've liked bantering with Astros fans this weekend, but a lot of them have been arrogant and humorless on DC sports social media. The Astros are great, but their fans are dickish for whatever reason. Braves fans are a lot more fun. 

Too much of an escalation to go straight to the Hurricane Harvey jokes?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, -JB- said:

”That is a DISGUSTING act by Randy Moss.” 

Joe Buck is the biggest clown ever for that ****.  **** him.

That video is always the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Joe Buck. If that's disgusting, he's going to have a breakdown when they start dancing after HRs, and his head will literally explode when Juan grabs his balls the first time

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Not to jinx anything, but Gerrit Cole hasn't lost a game since May 25. He's due, right?

Yeah, I've just got to remind myself to breathe when he strikes out the side once or twice.  He struck out something like 325 batters this year, which is Nolan Ryan/Randy Johnson type stuff.

Although in truth, that's probably not as impressive now.  Since we're in an era of baseball where things like launch angle is prioritized, and strikeouts are considered less harmful than hitting into a double play, I know K's are up across the board.  Pitchers today aren't dealing with a lineup of Tony Gwynn types.

I'm actually wondering is this might be an area where we're favored.  I can't remember where I read it, and I don't know if this was for the entire season or just the playoffs, but the Nats were the team with one of the lowest strikeout rates.  Meaning at least we make pitchers work for it.  Maybe that's the key is to just foul off a bunch and tire them out.  I know we had three guys over 200 but Cole and Verlander were both over 300, so they're clearly a bit more reliant on the K.

Looking for any angle.

• Like 1