Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if Snyder had owned the Skins during the glory years?

hail2skins

Many of us (does 99.9 percent categorize as many??) wish that we had a different owner over the past 20 years.

But wanted to throw another scenario....lets say a Dan Snyder who is 34 years old in, say, 1977-78, acquires the team.  How do the next 15 years play out? Assume no salary cap until the early 90s as happened, and I'll leave it up to you as to whether the coach when he takes over is George Allen or Jack Pardee, and whether Bobby Beathard is here already or not. Go!

He hasn’t proven to be knowledgeable with the modern day NFL when its supposedly much easier to turn things around and succeed. I’d assume he would be even worse back then.

He still wouldn’t hire the right people, thus we’d still have awful drafts and bad coaching. The playoff sniffs we have now every 5 or 6 years due to NFL paraody, forget about it. 

Jack Kent Cooke was perhaps the most brilliant sports owner of his generation. Has there been another owner who won multiple championships in different major sports? We should be grateful his record-setting divorce settlement forced him to sell the Lakers and led to his purchase of the Skins.

Remember, JKC hired the most qualified GM he could find, and then allowed that GM to hire a coach he didn't know and thus didn't really want. He only intervened very infrequently as a tiebreaker whenever Gibbs and Beathard were feuding. Does any of that sound remotely like our Lord Farquaad?

Is anyone else surprised that "snyder" hasn't become a verb, meaning to take something good and screw it up beyond recognition?  Not just in business, but in everyday life.  Like "I was baking Christmas cookies today and I snydered a batch in the oven".  Or "Things were going great with Roxanne before I snydered everything by texting Lola."

5 minutes ago, Csup said:

There would not have been a Bobby Beathard if Snyder owner the team.  Without Beathard to pick the talent, the Redskins would have been very ordinary under Gibbs.

Snyder would have traded the 83 draft to pick Todd Blackledge and there would be no Redskins fans younger than 60 

Snyder has proven beyond doubt he has no concept of the fundamentals of ownership. Day one he broke rule #1 (hire good people and get the hell outta the way) and the results speak for themselves. He’s failed to learn anything in 20+ years. Drop him in a different decade and the results would be the same...

5 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

Is anyone else surprised that "snyder" hasn't become a verb, meaning to take something good and screw it up beyond recognition?  Not just in business, but in everyday life.  Like "I was baking Christmas cookies today and I snydered a batch in the oven".  Or "Things were going great with Roxanne before I snydered everything by texting Lola."

He Schruted it.

2 hours ago, NikeRedskin7 said:

We would have been the NFC version of the Browns.

We are now though! Unfortunately for us, the Browns are finally turning things around. It's sort of like when the Withards had the worst mascot in the NBA for years and then the Hornets decided to take on most of our ridicule by switching to the Pelicans as their mascot.

6 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

I’ve been incredibly constipated for days and finally got relief after the massive Snyder I just took. 💩

6 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

Snyder
/ˈSny-der
noun
1. the physical destruction or disintegration of something or the state of disintegrating or being destroyed.

E.G. "The Redskins fell into terrible snyder"

synonyms: disintegration, decay, disrepair, dilapidation, falling to pieces, decrepitude, ruination; More

verb
1. reduce (a building, place or entity) to a state of decay, collapse, or disintegration.
E.G. "a snydered football team"
synonyms:    destroy, devastate, lay waste, leave in ruins, wreak havoc on, ravage, leave desolate; More

The national TV contracts weren't as lucrative back then, and game revenue was a bigger percentage of the team's income. As such, such a proto-Snyder would have had to actually do constructive things to keep the money flowing in.

Or, he would have moved the Skins to St. Louis in 1992, thus preempting the equally odious Georgia Frontiere.

Archived