Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough is enough. A fond farewell.

sparkosaurus

Enough is enough. After over 40 years of fandom, I’m leaving the team that I have loved. The disfunction and disease that Daniel Snyder has inflicted upon this team has no cure. Until Dan sells the team, there will be no pride, no culture of winning, and no joy for the Redkins organization or their fans. It’s time to let go.

I started rooting for the Redskins back in 1976, as a 6 year old kid. I’ve lived through the good and bad days of this team many times over. I’ve invested a lot of time, money, and love into this team and I just can’t do it anymore. At one time in my life, I lived in San Francisco and had Dream Seat season tickets. I flew out for every home game and always went to Dallas for the Dallas game. Went to Seattle for the playoff game up there and Philip Daniels gave me one of his gloves while walking off the field following the loss. I have so many memories of this team and it’s taken a lot to get me to this point.

The Redskins have killed football for me. It’s no fun to watch, it’s not fun to follow. It’s just pain and frustration week in and week out. I’ll be 50 years old in a couple of years and I need to start focusing on the things that make me happy.

I thought I was done last season. Hot off the heels of having to defend the name and the RGII situation, the Scot debacle coupled with the slow moving train wreck that was the Kirk Cousins soap opera had largely done me in. I was a big fan of Kirk’s (still am) and had thought that I was going to change my fandom from following a team to following a player. I had thought I was going to follow Kirk wherever he went. I was fine with San Francisco, I was fine with Minnesota. I left the door open because if he went to Cleveland….let’s just say I wasn’t about to jump from the frying pan into the fire. My lovely wife, however, told me that I couldn’t leave the Skins. I’d been a fan for so long and last year wasn’t *that* bad and with the Kirk situation getting settled that I had to give them the chance to right the ship. Then we drafted Guice and I decided I’d stick it out. The Skins drafted well and picked up Alex…I was optimistic that this could turn around. I was loving it this year and happy I had stayed.

I wasn’t even bothered that much when Alex broke his leg. He had been struggling all season and I thought Colt might give us the change of pace we needed to succeed. Then they signed Foster. That was a tough one to swallow. Then they refuse to bring in Kaepernick for so much as a workout and instead go after the butt fumbler and Josh Johnson. They gave a bull**** excuse on why they didn’t so much as talk to Kaep and that’s when I knew the drama-Skins were coming back in full force. Then the Mason incident. Then the handling of DJ. You all know the story. It’s a complete dumpster fire and between Alex’s cap hit and our lack at about every position on the field, you’d be lucky if the Redskins announced a rebuild but that’s not going to happen. After this season they’ll say “but injuries” and go into the off season thinking they’re a player or two from a deep post season run.

I can’t go through that again.

It’s with a heavy heart that I say goodbye to the Extreme Skins community. I know I didn’t post much but I did hang with a group of Chicago-based fans here for a few years who were on the board. I’ve loved reading all the posts and feel like I know a lot of you just based on reading your words. I hope everyone here and all of Redskins Nation can one day feel good about the team…maybe go to the big dance again. You all deserve it after what you’ve lived through.

As for me, I’m not going to follow Kirk and root for Minnesota…a lot of the reason is that I couldn’t find a decent online community that was even close to what Extreme Skins is to Redskins fans. I strongly considered following Sean McVay to LA since my brother lives out there and I’ve lived in LA a few times in my life. In the end, however, I’ve decided to stick with the home team and I’ll be a Bears fan from here on out. Since moving to Chicago 8 years ago, I was drawn in to being both a Cubs and a Blackhawks fan. I was never a fan of either sport, really, until I got here. This city has some mad love for their sports teams and it’s hard to resist. Rooting for the Bears with the rest of the city will restore my love for the game and I’m very excited for that to happen.

Much love to you all. Have a fantastic 2019 and Hail to the Redskins. See you all at Soldier Field sometime!

sparkosaurus

Good post and I see your points. 

The "I've decided to become a fan of X team" logic is weird to me. I have never made a decision to be a fan of a team...if I could decide, I'd have bailed on the Skins and O's many times over! This isn't me questioning your fanhood for the Redskins, rather the process you're following to root on a new team. For me, it would need to happen organically and I'd need to start caring about a team until, over time, they were the team I cared about. 

Oh well, glad you had some good memories in the 80s!  

I think if I should ever bail on this team I don't think I would grandly proclaim it. I don't think it would deserve a fanfare or press gathering. I don't really begrudge anyone giving up on this team. They give us plenty of reason too.  Besides, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy life. I just don't see the point of these threads especially from posters whose names I don't even recognize ;)

Not sure I would leave the team already declaring I have a new team either. It's sort of like parading around with your mistress before the ink is dry on the divorce papers.

23 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think if I should ever bail on this team I don't think I would grandly proclaim it. I don't think it would deserve a fanfare or press gathering. I don't really begrudge anyone giving up on this team. They give us plenty of reason too.  Besides, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy life. I just don't see the point of these threads especially from posters whose names I don't even recognize ;)

Not sure I would leave the team already declaring I have a new team either. It's sort of like parading around with your mistress before the ink is dry on the divorce papers.

Well, I think its more accurately hanging out with your new boyfriend/girlfriend, after 20 years in an abusive relationship where you have been treated like dirt, cheated on over and over again, everyone has been telling you to get out, and you've finally listened.  You were beaten, verbally abused, lied to, cheated on, and stuck with it because you just "love them" and hope they turn around.  But they dont, so finally you get the courage to.  Its not really anything like parading a mistress before getting a divorce 🤨

1 minute ago, Peregrine said:

Well, I think its more accurately hanging out with your new boyfriend/girlfriend, after 20 years in an abusive relationship where you have been treated like dirt, cheated on over and over again, everyone has been telling you to get out, and you've finally listened.  You were beaten, verbally abused, lied to, cheated on, and stuck with it because you just "love them" and hope they turn around.  But they dont, so finally you get the courage to.  Its not really anything like parading a mistress before getting a divorce 🤨

Gosh. I hope it's not like that.

9 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

But the Redskins will change...they promised me!!!

I guess you need your sportsball fix.  I just don't watch anymore, but I still check in on news, some highlights and stay loyal to the team.  I even understand emotional distance because you know that with Bruce Allen (and the fact that, if anything, Snyder does not aggressively make changes) you're going to get some variant of this every year, maybe we get super lucky one day.  But to just go and watch another team and give up on your team---meh.

I understand, but I will go to my grave bleeding B&G.  I am 46 years old and have been a Skins fan since the late 70s.  I don't give a **** if we go 0-16 for the next 30 years of my life.  I can't leave the Redskins.  They are apart of my family, my culture, my life.  I remember climbing the trees to watch Riggo, the Hogs, coach Gibbs, Manley, Mann, etc riding down the street as champions.  I remember that feeling as a young boy and even as a young man in 91.

The Redskins are like that drunk uncle that you're ashamed to let people know you are kin to.  He drinks, he curses, he's extra flirtatious....  But you remember when he was hardworking, responsible and had his own.  Drunk or sober he always has advice for you and you KNOW he loves you.  He's just an embarrassment but dammit he is YOUR FAMILY!!!

The Washington Redskins is my drunk uncle right now but dammit I love them till the last scoop of dirt on my grave!!!

Snyder, Allen, or nobody else can take away my birthright as a fan of the Washington Freakin Redskins!!!!

I get it, I think we all do and most of us have probably contemplated severing ties.  I'll always remember my incredulity when Snyder fired Marty.  I knew then Snyder would be a loser but didn't act on my feelings then or even now.  This year I adopted the Vikings as a second team because I like Cousins so much but to my chagrin the Vikings are at best a very distant second because I find myself watching the Skins instead of the Viking games. 

Good of luck to you!

I never made a decision to stop rooting for one team, and change to another.  However, I did make a conscious decision to stop being too emotionally invested in the Cowboys several years ago.  The biggest issue for me was low effort from several of the players at the time.  I realized how dumb it was for me to be upset with a loss when several players on the team didn't really care.  I still consider the Cowboys my favorite team, but I have only watched three of their games live (on tv) in the last four years.  I tend to spend game days flipping between game casts on the ESPN website, and following along on game threads here or on other message boards.  I'm detached enough now that I tend to root for games to be exciting, rather than to have a specific team win.

I have to say, I enjoy the NFL experience a lot more this way.  I tend to get more enjoyment watching two good teams play a close game, than I used to get even when watching the Cowboys win.  I almost never end up in a bad mood due to the outcome of a game, and I still enjoy it when the Cowboys win. Hell, the last playoff game Dallas lost, I was happy that they fought hard to tie the game in the last couple minutes... It didn't bother me too much that they didn't pull off the win, I just enjoyed the exciting game.

19 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

This year I adopted the Vikings as a second team because I like Cousins so much but to my chagrin the Vikings are at best a very distant second because I find myself watching the Skins instead of the Viking games. 

I don't think it works that way...being a fan of something isn't a choice or decision we make. 

I grew up in Northern VA as an Orioles fan starting in the mid-1980s. They were covered like the home team on the news and in the papers and were even on TV locally. Twenty or so years later the Nats came to town and I actually declared in 2005 that I would be a Nats fan. But, like you mentioned above, something odd happened. I found myself constantly caring more about that damn grinning bird than I did the W. I'd RATHER be a Nats fan, but I can't. 

I’m right behind you Sparkosaurus!  Final nail in the coffin with the parting of Brian Lafemina.  A man that was attempting to change the culture by showing transparency and reaching out to the fan base challenged the ethics of Danny and Bruce. 

I’ve been a Skins fan since 1969 as a five year old in a Redskins household in Richmond, VA.  I’ve lived in South Carolina since 1986, and most years since 1989, I’ve attended a Redskins home game with family members. 

I thought I might hold out if Bruce is pushed out of the organization, but I doubt it will happen. Even if no longer team president in title, Six Flags Danny will keep him around in some capacity.  To my core, after almost 20 years, nothing will change as long a Snyder owns the team. 

So now I need to choose a new team to support.  The Panthers are the closet team, but not really feeling it.  Falcons and Jaguars around 4 hours from where I live.  We shall see.  I’ll keep my Redskins gear wity the hope I outlive Daniel Snyder; I’m just under a year older than him. 

So long and best wishes to all. 

Sincerely,

SavetheSkins 

29 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Godspeed dude.

I think I’m on that path as well but it’s gonna be a long process if it happens. 

Im a firm believer in doing what makes you happy and if you’re like me, football is entertainment and thus should be fun. The Skins haven’t been fun in my lifetime 

I echo this. It should be fun. Not work. Plenty of time for work. If the Skins and rooting for them bring you no enjoyment then it’s really honestly dumb to keep doing it. I have no idea why people would continue, I really don’t. This isn’t the battlefield, you aren’t leaving comrades behind to be killed. I think walking away is perfectly fine if you don’t enjoy it anymore. 

I fully respect your decision and think it's good advice to focus on things that make us happy. Family, friends and hobbies should all work to enhance our lives, not take away. 

Personally I'll be enjoying my time away. I plan on coming back in September, but as a far less engaged fan. I will work on not taking the losses personally and notice when the misfortunes of this franchise start bringing me down. 

I may be less of a fan, but I'm hoping I'll be a better person for it. 

Archived