Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

skinfan2k

lol "it's christmas eve!".

No, it's Monday.

Football season always plays past Christmas for the big boy league.

Bye DJ, better luck on team number five. Remember your last play here was to let a shmuck TE walk by you into an empty end zone for the season ending TD.

~Bang

10 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Swearinger was a malcontent and a distraction.  I don't fault the Skins for dumping him but rather not getting in front of the issue earlier to shut him down.  Of course, it was the THIRD time he was called into Gruden's office.  So maybe they did try and it was time for him to go.    

And somehow that'll create a winning organization? Hell naw!!!!

How bout somebody call Gruden and Manusky in the goddamn office. **** them man!!!

This ain't no ****in' high school where you get called in the principles office. So what, somebody called you by name and said you ****ed up a call. You know you did it. Own up and fix it. But did he? No. DJ even said he would bring issues to Manusky's attention during the game and nothing changed. So DJ leads the team in TO and pass breakups and shows that he knows what the **** he's doing on defense. So DJ speaks to Manusky and the DC looks at DJ with that cross eyed distant look and does absolutely nothing.

This is ****ing protection of a good ol' boy. Plain and simple.

My hope is that they ****ing fire the coaching staff, hire a competent DC, and resign DJ next year. But IMO, I think DJ worked this to catch on with a playoff team. No use in working this hard with a bunch of incompetent coaches and not even sniff the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Well, it's almost certain he's going to be playing in the playoffs now, so he's probably dancing his ass off right now.

Exactly!!! I read that he may be picked up by KC. I hope so. I actually hope a few of these players find other teams. I would hate to play for a coach that is perceived to coach my way or the highway style. If I'm playing linebacker, after a few plays, I can see what the defense is trying to do. If I can't come to the coach and say we need to run this type of defense based on what I see on the football field, then **** that dude. But let DJ take matter in his own hands and the coach is benching him or calling him out. I think thats what happened with the league's leading tackler last year (Zach Brown). Again, let all this **** sink in.....

The Redskins had a set of 1000 yard receivers (DJax and Garcon) - both outspoken, both gone

The leagues leading tackler - outspoken, benched and probably gone

The first pro-bowl safety this team has had since ST - outspoken, gone

All the quiet bums get to stay. Foster and Josh is next.

36 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I think he was telling the truth.  D.J. is no dummy though, he knows when you say something like that.   You're forcing them to make an adjustment.  Either them or me.

I'm feeling that too. DJ wants to get back to the SB. I think he forced the hand to his benefit. Some team is going to get a play making safety for a ****in' game check.

**** the Redskins. Instead of Hail to the, I'm replacing it with **** the

Dumb ass

• The one word theme of Snyder's ownership history: DYSFUNCTIONAL!

Releasing DJ today just the latest example.  He should have been disciplined weeks ago, and to cut him without trying to get something in return further reinforces the arrogance and ineptitude from Dan, Bruce and throughout the organization.

I had already made my mind up to no longer attend any more Redskin games until Bruce is fired.  I live in South Carolina, but I've attended at least one home game with a couple of exceptions since 1989.  I went to the Skins-Jags game to support Josh Johnson and cruise the stadium with my protest sign pregame:

Redskins

Barnum & Bailey

Snyder/Allen

I hope the attendance for the Skins-Eagles game is below 50,000.  I'm done with putting money into Snyder's pockets until Bruce is canned along with Jay and the other coaches, except maybe Tomsula.  

I'm at at peace just in time for Christmas.

SavetheSkins

The point of that article is where I am at.  If you take this move as an isolated thing where we didn't witness how they handled other behavior, fine, I'd get the logic.  If I took it as something the team consistently rolls with which is no tolerance for anything -- the logic would make slam dunk sense to me and I'd endorse it. 

But considering everything that's happened, this is the incident that hits the mark of we can't take it -- now this is taking things too far.  The other stuff we can rationalize as OK.   That's wild to me. 

I get they warned him but there was no punishment -- suspend the dude, fine him and then cut him if he does it again IMO.    With Nicholson you got a DUI in 2017, and an assault charge.  So he gets a suspension but isn't cut.  But no suspension warranted here, cut the dude loose because this apparently is much more flagrant and doesn't deserve the leeway of an initial suspension?

1 hour ago, joeken24 said:

DJ even said he would bring issues to Manusky's attention during the game and nothing changed. So DJ leads the team in TO and pass breakups and shows that he knows what the **** he's doing on defense. So DJ speaks to Manusky and the DC looks at DJ with that cross eyed distant look and does absolutely nothing.

......or maybe,  Manusky had DJ in the right place to make those plays.  If the DC was putting him in place to make those plays, and DJ was yakking at the DC about what needs to happen, then maybe DJ isnt as bright as he makes himself out to be.

I am not saying I think Manusky is doing a great job...........I am just pointing out how stupid DJ makes himself look by calling out the DC for what he sees as a problem, when he has benefited from what the DC has called (ints and passes defended) resulting in his being chosen as an alternate to the Pro Bowl.

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And that's the other thing.  I'm not all that excited about keeping Montae Nicholson.  It really doesn't have much to do with misdemeanor assault.  I don't condone it, but he hasn't shown me much on the field aside from that Raiders game last year where he played really well.  The misdemeanor just makes it easier for me to let him walk.

Does anyone know if a player has ever played in a pro bowl after being cut during the season?  If other DBs bow out, and Swearinger makes it to the pro bowl... What helmet does he wear?  Would be even more interesting if he signs with an AFC team this week.

I once kept a kid on my basketball team that was arrested and caught with drugs. 

Same season I cut a kid for missing his 5th practice without notice and repeated discussions of a potential 5th missed practice. 

It could be said I kept a kid who was arrested and cut a kid for missing practice. 

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Won’t get much of an argument from me on whether or not the dude is a pain in the ass.

That said, it should anger you that the team gave him what he wanted and got nothing in return.

Yeah, I think Swearinger is severely overrated and he was always somewhat of a jerk. But we should have held on to him and gotten something for him. It's what any remotely competent organization would do. We sacrificed value because the only unforgivable crime in Redskins Park is pointing out the (immense) flaws in the organization. But they get away with it, in part, because people are so quick to jump on the players and ignore the ridiculousness of the decision-makers. 

It's like the Cousins debates. Anytime someone debates Cousins vs Smith they are accepting the exact narrative that Bruce and Co. want. Even if you think we lost something by going from Kirk to Alex, as long as the debate is about the marginal differences between the two QB is a win for them. Because the real discussion should be how they consciously chose trying to make Bruce look good at the expense of making a football decision. We should have gotten value for Cousins, we shouldn't have paid him a fortune for a couple years of mediocrity. Smith vs Cousins is a football discussion and the problem is the way it was handled had nothing to do with football. But they've controlled the narrative enough to get people to not realize that.

33 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I once kept a kid on my basketball team that was arrested and caught with drugs. 

Same season I cut a kid for missing his 5th practice without notice and repeated discussions of a potential 5th missed practice. 

It could be said I kept a kid who was arrested and cut a kid for missing practice. 

Thank you. I’m not even taking specifics of this situation as it relates to DJ. What drives me nuts reading this thread is that so many people aren’t understanding any nuance here. 

It is VERY possible that something you do inside the walls of a business is much worse for that business than something you do outside the walls— even if the act outside the walls is far worse in general. 

Meaning as a business owner it’s quite possible I’d give a second chance to someone who got arrested for DUI, or got arrested for drugs whereas I may not give someone a second chance to someone who walked in my office and told me to F myself. If you then wanted to say that I think it’s worse to say a cuss word than drive drunk you could. And you’d obviously be totally missing the nuance of the situation. 

Archived