Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cut DJ Swearinger!

skinfan2k

This organization just stinks from top on down. EVERYTHING about this franchise is just god awful on every level. They're morally bankrupt and intellectually inept. This move is just another in a long line of absolute screw ups.

Congratulations, we are now the WORST franchise in professional sports. Zero doubts.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

This organization just stinks from top on down. EVERYTHING about this franchise is just god awful on every level. They're morally bankrupt and intellectually inept. This move is just another in a long line of absolute screw ups.

Congratulations, we are now the WORST franchise in professional sports. Zero doubts.

I disagree.

We've been the worst organization for a while.  This is just the exclamation point.

HAHA The Redskins will claim a guy with 2 DV arrests in only the last year but they won't stand for a player who insults the DC

I guess they drew the line LOOOOOOOOOOOL

what's even stupider is they kept a guy who a few weeks ago literally said "**** this team" but they got rid of a guy who criticised their playcalling...

I'd be somewhat OK with this if it was the start of a tear down/rebuild.  But it's not.  

The Redskins folly (well one of them anyway) is that they're perpetually trying to sell the fans and anyone else who'll pay attention that this team can compete and make the playoffs.  This is the year!  

They (Snyder) is so ****ing petrified of just saying "you know, it's not working.  We're going to trade everyone we can, get as many picks as we can and build this the right way.  We might be bad for a year or two but this is the plan, this is what we're doing and we think it'll pay off.  We appreciate your loyalty and support."  And if Swearinger was the first casualty in us freeing up cap space, etc, I'd be ok with it.  

Nope!

No, it's always this mirage that they're a team on the brink of the playoffs and it never is.  

So next year when they're shoveling the crap about how we can win, contend, etc, just remember this.  Our already mediocre at best defense just got significantly worse.  We have no safeties.  Nick Foles is going to throw for like 450 yards next weekend.  

2 minutes ago, TouchdownSkin said:

My god this team just cannot suck any worse.  I enjoyed watching the Seattle/KC game so much last night, I may just make one of them my new team.  I’m sick of this garbage.  If Gruden and Manusky return, I am out.  I cannot support this ****fest another day.  

Watching other teams like that...I'm like "Wow, this is what REAL football looks like."  

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

We could have tried to trade him in the off-season for something, anything.  Then if we got no offers, cut him.  To me, it's annoying that Jay never set the tone for all of the players from the get-go and enforce it with some form of disciplinary action once it started.  Along with allowing it to continue and only take action after week 16 when making the playoffs was no longer a possibility.

And not trying to get anything for a top 10 safety and cutting them so he can go elsewhere just continues to show this organizations ass-clownery.

Every dude we have let go the past 10 years automatically sparks the pearl-clutching/hand-wringing ZOMG trade silliness.

Swearinger has been with 4 teams in his career.  He has never been traded...and he never will be traded.

This organization... Suspend and trade to send a message to the players and then recoup some value. Cutting a guy on Christmas Eve sends a different kind of message to the players and the fans. Cutting the guy who was complaining about how unprepared the team is on a regular basis sends different kind of message to the players and the fans. I keep hearing about how classes this organization is and the old Tampa boys network and this move just proves all those rumblings right. The Redskins no longer care about winning. They just want to have their little gang together, and the minute someone poses a threat to that, they overreact without thinking what is actually best for the future of the team. I've been following this team through some pretty horrible times, but this move is the final one that has killed any optimism that they'll eventually figure it out. Really makes me question why even bother being a fan. I can't switch to following another team, but what pleasure do I get by following this franchise? 

13 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Watching other teams like that...I'm like "Wow, this is what REAL football looks like."  

I enjoyed the game so much.  I thought, why the hell am I wasting my time and money on this piece of crap team.  I’ve been loyal for 30 years.  I’m just numb to them.

There will be no criticism of Management!

Firing a dude on Christmas Eve?  Stay classy Redskins.

Oh one more thing....The loss on Saturday means that yer boi Snyder has now owned the team for 20 years and has only 6 winning seasons under his stewardship of the franchise.  Un****ingbelievable!

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

We cannot really trade until the beginning of next season, since trade deadline has been passed.  So it would have been a future move, just like Alex this year. Move was made but not official until beginning of the season. So we would have had to pay him, baring suspension or whatever, and keep him.

Honestly, I don't get the point in cutting him now... Suspended without pay for one game would have been fine to me as well...

Yeah, I realized/remembered this right after posting (but didn’t bother editing).  Bottom line (as you allude to) - suspend him the final game and then make a decision down the road.  Optics don’t look as bad, and you open up the possibility of trading him.   

Heck, maybe hold onto him until after the draft to see if you can find a safety and then make the final decision.  

This felt like a move made to try to look tough. 

This was an absolutely dumb move by the organization. Flat-out dumb.

I get DJ not being happy about play calling, etc, but this isn't N. Korea or Columbia { not the university }, this is a football team that petered out the 2nd half of the season; moreso defensively.

Granted, DJ should have taken a different approach to this; have a sit-down with the coaching staff and express yourself. This is how businesses and organizations thrive; COMMUNICATION. Both sides sit down, admit faults, and work on solutions.

For DJ to go to the media says to me that the coaching staff isn't listening to the players, at least the players who have an idea of whats happening on- field. The players see first-hand whats going on in the game, and can get a feel for whats happening. coaches cannot possibly be able to watch the entire field while the game is going on, they have to wait to watch film to see things. This is where I think DJ had a right to speak up.

With Allen speaking, saying Manusky called a good game; well, Allen isn't playing in the secondary; his objective is to stop the ball carrier and get sacks, and he doesn't have the view that the secondary does, so for him to say Manusky called a good game is only from the D-line POV.

Still, they could have made DJ inactive and maybe traded him in the off-season, but to cut him now speaks volume; volume that the coaching staff cannot handle criticism and their fragile egos have been hearing a lot of negative chatter and this was their way of payback. Next, it will be Norman spurting out something so he can be cut, and the organization can stand their ground on respectability while trying to double-talk their decision to sign for the rights of Reuben Foster.

What's next; boot fans from the stadium who boo?

11 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

There will be no criticism of Management!

Firing a dude on Christmas Eve?  Stay classy Redskins. 

That was my first reaction when i read the news. How can you cut a guy on Christmas eve???

Somehow, I have a hard time believing Jay is this kind of guy.

And anyway, he's just the HC he doesn't have power to do this.

Same gut punch feeling of letting a outspoken, passionate heart of your team Brian Mitchell go. This move by itself is not a new low. The timing and pettiness of this move on top of the last 20 years IS a new low. I was 100% on board with bringing Jay back, but he just went full Norv Turner. It’s hard to even think of what would give me optimism at this point. 

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

4 teams in 5 seasons.

total gob****e, albeit decent/good player.

due 4.5mil in 2019 at one of the least sought after positions in free agency. The  safety market has been totally dire recently.

marginal trade value imo.

Mark Barron went for a 4 and a 6, Clinton-Dix for a 4. No reason to think Swearinger (a better player than both) wouldn't have fetched at least that much.

Which is beside the point. Why wouldn't you wait to find out? After the season, if you really can't get anything for him, let him go then. Keeping him for a week would have literally cost about 160K above what a minimum salary replacement will cost for that game. And maybe not that, if you suspend him. And if he's not claimed on waivers, you don't save anything anyway. 

So what did we gain? Some extra dissension in the clubhouse? Some more laughter at how stupid we are? Yay.

Archived