Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Smith Actual Status

Atlantaskinsfan18

2 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Why would he do that? There is no incentive to - insurance policy or not.

Just now, Hooper said:

The only thing I know for sure is there no way he simply retires and gives the Skins cap relief.

That's hilarious wishful thinking.

If he has a policy that would pay him enough he would, if the option is a painful rehab and a longshot to actually play again.  It wouldnt if he's going to be fine by next season.  I just dont think he will.  Retiring because of injury would be the only way to collect the insurance.  If it's minimal though, he'll screw us worse than Cousins did.

2 minutes ago, Hooper said:

The only thing I know for sure is there no way he simply retires and gives the Skins cap relief.

That's hilarious wishful thinking.

He could do that after he failed the physicl in 4 months that guarantee is salary for the next to years...

1 minute ago, Kilmer17 said:

If he has a policy that would pay him enough he would, if the option is a painful rehab and a longshot to actually play again.  It wouldnt if he's going to be fine by next season.  I just dont think he will.  Retiring because of injury would be the only way to collect the insurance.  If it's minimal though, he'll screw us worse than Cousins did.

Bruce screwed us.

Not Alex.Let's not put the blame on him here. He signed what we offered him.

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

He could do that after he failed the physicl in 4 months that guarantee is salary for the next to years...

Bruce screwed us.

Not Alex.Let's not put the blame on him here. He signed what we offered him.

Well that's a given.  But if Smith knows he can never play again and just refuses to retire to collect, he'll certainly be screwing us.

2 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

Well that's a given.  But if Smith knows he can never play again and just refuses to retire to collect, he'll certainly be screwing us.

Wouldn't the Skins know that based on doctors reports? I can't imagine that's the kind of thing Smith could keep to himself.

Just now, bird_1972 said:

Wouldn't the Skins know that based on doctors reports? I can't imagine that's the kind of thing Smith could keep to himself.

Well play it out.  Doctor says he cant play again, Smith says he can and refuses to retire.  What could the Skins do for cap relief?  

I’m saying there is a number between what he’s guaranteed to get from the Skins and what his insurance policy could be (assuming he has one) that would make him think retirement is a better option. 

I have no no idea what that is.  But it’s the only hope we have really. 

2 hours ago, Vilandil Tasardur said:

If he doesn't play in 2019 at all, do we even want him for 2020? 

Considering we will have to pay him for 2020, why not?  If you choice is to pay Alex Smith $16M and keep him vs pay Alex Smith $16M and cut him, you might as well keep him.  He can compete for the starting job.

4 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

I'd love to know what kind of insurance policy he has.  Maybe enough to convince him to retire injured and save the team a fortune in cap hit.

If I remember correctly Thiesman had to try to make a comeback for his Lloyds of London Insurance to pay off.

13 minutes ago, wysknz1 said:

If I remember correctly Thiesman had to try to make a comeback for his Lloyds of London Insurance to pay off.

As Theismann put it:

"When it came time to cash in the insurance policy, we had doctors and attorneys out at the old Redskins Park," Theismann said. "They wanted to see me work out to see if I could play again. I went out on the field to throw, and as I moved to my right, I was moving okay. When I tried to move to my left, I think I looked like Peg Leg Pete. The workout was supposed to last about 30 minutes. There were 15 people watching me when I started. When I turned my back at one point, I looked around and they were just about all gone. I said, 'Hey, wait, I'm not done,' and whoever was still out there said to me, 'Yes, you are.' "

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Hey, we have enough threads about the money and bringing him being a mistake.  I just want to know if he's going to be alright at this point.

As a person / from a health standpoint he'll be fine. From a football standpoint I don't think we (or he) will know for many months. With that sort of injury there are so many other factors like potential nerve damage, etc that may not be seen for some time. Even if he's considered "healthy enough" to try to practice down the road there's no guarantee that he'll ever be anywhere close to where he was up until his injury. Might also be different if he was 24 instead of 34 from a physical healing and rehabbing standpoint as well as a "time left in the tank" standpoint. I have my doubts that he'll play again. 

14 hours ago, Kilmer17 said:

If he retires he doesn't have use of team medical facilities/doctors. He'd be an idiot to retire before it's healed.

Smith didn't suffer an MCL or ACL tear, he suffered broken bones! Both of them!

The healing process of a broken bone is nothing to be rushed in any way, or it will snap the instant he puts a good strain on his leg. I don't care what his heart tells him or what his contract says, there are certain things that can permanently change a person's perspective, and this was a serious injury, life-threatening.

There are things such as osteoporosis which can hinder the full healing of a bone and make it easier to break again. If Smith does come back, he will be so mentally protective of his leg it could cause him to play very poorly, with him focusing more on his leg than looking for that open receiver. I know I would be.

I seriously doubt he comes back; he may try to but he still has to pass that rigorous physical that players get, then he has to perform like a QB, and I just don't see it happening. He may try but I doubt he can get there. He was barely a decent QB before the injury, so we pretty much know what his ceiling will be if he does.

16 hours ago, Hooper said:

Why pay a big fat premium for insurance when you have a contract guaranteed in case of injury?

The contract is literally the insurance. I don't understand why people can't come to grips with it. I don't understand why people so easily just throw reality to the wind because a situation sucks. /boggle

1 hour ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't ever want to see him take another snap as the starting QB for this team, but I also want him to milk every last cent of that contract.  It isn't his fault he was offered that much guaranteed money.  

I want to see him step on the field one last time.

At the end of a game, throw a meaningless 6 yards pass to whoever will be our WR at the time. get a pat on the back from everyone around.

Salute everyone, move out of the field.

And retire.

3 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

At the end of a game, throw a meaningless 6 yards pass to whoever will be our WR at the time. get a pat on the back from everyone around.

And retire.

Nah, he'll throw a meaningless 3 yard pass on 3rd and 9 to a TE, and we can go on and win the game 9-6 so he can retire on his reputation as the "ultimate winner".

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

And retire.

A six yard pass on 3rd & 12 would be too symbolic.

Archived