Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

On 12/12/2018 at 3:57 PM, Unbias said:

I think we have until the 5th day of the 2019 season (March 5th?) for his 2020 season to be guaranteed. If we were to give an injury settlement before than the 2020 cap number is not guaranteed. Dan would probably have to still pay that amount out of pocket, but at least it would let 2020 be free of his cap impact.

His 2020 salary is both guaranteed if he is on the roster on March 5and guaranteed for injury. He won't be able to pass a physical on March 5, so the 2020 salary will become guaranteed at that point. There is no reason for an "injury settlement" because he has no reason to sacrifice his guaranteed 2020 salary.

Gottlieb, radio guy, not sure how he is plugged in or not so not sure if he's in the know.  Hope Alex is OK.   I don't like how Jay sounds every time he says Alex will talk about everything when he's ready.  It has a dire vibe to it as for his career.   First and foremost, hope he can walk.  This might be the worst injury I can recall of a Redskins player ever.  It adds big time to the depressing vibe the season seems to have sunk to.    Wild that Guice had his share of infections, too.  

I really hope ALex will be okay, whether he plays or not. It was a bad injury, and just being able to walk normally for the rest of his life is the priority now.

That said, in looking at who will play QB next season, I think  we are screwed. No good free agents. not many college prospects, and any team that has a good QB will be unlikely to want to trade them to us, because they would then be in the same position I just laid out. We're in good shape as far as how many picks we have, and if everyone else returns to health, we don't have too many extremely glaring needs beyond safety, CB, ILB and WR. SO if there was a college QB who shoots up the board at the Senior Bowl or something, we could use a few picks to trade up (not that we'll be that far from a top 5 pick anyway once we lose our last 3 games.

McCoy should be ready by next year, but let's face it, he's fragile. Couldn't be counted on to last a season as the starter.

Maybe Johnson impresses the rest of the way this year, but will a guy who hasn't played in the NFL in years  suddenly catapult back into the league in a starting role. Highly unlikely.  

Bridgewater, Fitzpatrick, McCown. Ugh. Those options make me nauseated.  

Smith tragedy aside...

The starting QB is going to have to be cost effective. But as of now I don't think we can really even predict who it will be until we know who the GM/HC will be. 

A lot of it has to do with system fit and connections... If we bring in a guy with Giant ties, Eli could even be here next year (note: I'm not advocating for that).

Keeping with the premise that we stand pat on our front office and coaching personnel (hold me, I'm scared) I would say there are a few names in play:

Bridgewater (depending on cost)

McCown (ugh)

Flacco (meh)

Fitzpatrick (at least every throw will be exciting)

Robert Griffin III (if he's not kept as a back up to Jackson, which I think he will be... but how crazy would that be?)

Nick Mullens or CJ Beatherd (more yikes)

Rookie QB

And then at that point you have to think about who the backup will be. Would it be McCoy? Or would McCoy want out because he feels he should be the starter? And if it is McCoy, you have to have a third QB on the roster, don't you?

Going to be an interesting (note; i didn't say fun and exciting) offseason.

My fear at this point is the team will somehow figure out a way to win 2 gms getting to 8-8. Then the injuries excuse will kick in (not completely unjustified, but getting old), then all will be left the same. 

The problem with the injury excuse is that a fair amount of the injuries are guys that had injury histories. Alex's broken leg? Nothing anyone can do about that or be expected to have seen coming. But CT, Reed, Paul R, Moses, TW, Colt and others? Known histories with nothing but injuries. 

And people really need to stop talking about the strength and conditioning staff. The problem is the lack of facilities to some degree but mostly because when you keep guys on the team that tend to get injured, well guess what they tend to get injured. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****! 

Bruce Allen has to go or nothing will change! 

34 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Bruce Allen has to go or nothing will change! 

Agree, I've heard now multiple sources say Dan is looking for any excuse to keep Bruce and any semblance of hope in the last three games would likely save his job.  Some say like Mike Jones did today, Bruce's job is safe regardless.  Will see.

But what an odd dynamic we got.  A strong 3 game run might take them into the playoffs or lets say they go 2-1 and then at least you don't end on a source note.  But at the same time it screws up your position in the draft to take a QB and it likely saves Bruce's job.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Keeping with the premise that we stand pat on our front office and coaching personnel (hold me, I'm scared) I would say there are a few names in play:

With the same FO and coaching staff, I'd add Sean Mannion as a 'value' FA pick up, especially if we intend to draft a QB as well.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree, I've heard now multiple sources say Dan is looking for any excuse to keep Bruce and any semblance of hope in the last three games would likely save his job.  Some say like Mike Jones did today, Bruce's job is safe regardless.  Will see.

But what an odd dynamic we got.  A strong 3 game run might take them into the playoffs or lets say they go 2-1 and then at least you don't end on a source note.  But at the same time it screws up your position in the draft to take a QB and it likely saves Bruce's job.

Edit

That is sad. Everyone in the world except the person who can make the change knows that Bruce is garbage. 

As for QB, I really do not want them to take a QB in this draft no matter what happens with Alex - outside a late round back-up. If you go into this draft saying you have to get a starting QB, you will end up reaching for someone who is just not worth it. You will lose the resources and still need a QB. 

Oline, ISL, and secondary would be my priorities. Get a WR (one not injury prone) and additional Oline in free agency. You can let some guys go that will get you enough CAP if you are willing to make some tough decisions. Bruce will never do that. So he has to go for us to have any chance. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Eric Schaffer 

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

ESPN is reporting that we may be one of the suitors for Nick Foles.

But is that even financially possible ? Even if Smith can't play next year ?

Because doesn't his 2019 salary make it hard to sign a guy like Foles ?

They have more or less 25 million dedicated to QB as is.  So I gather they most they'd spend on a QB is 5 million otherwise they are really going overboard.  Is Foles a FA or the Eagles would deal him?

43 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They have more or less 25 million dedicated to QB as is.  So I gather they most they'd spend on a QB is 5 million otherwise they are really going overboard.  Is Foles a FA or the Eagles would deal him?

There's a mutual option for 2019, where the Eagles could exercise the option and try to trade Foles, but that scenario is unlikely because Foles' side has the ability to void the contract, and another team is unlikely to deal for him unless there was the guarantee of a new long-term deal.

Be prepared for ESPN and NFL Network to throw our name as a possible suitor for every single free agent QB on the market, despite the fact that we can't afford to do it.  They're likely looking at us saying "The Redskins need a QB, Nick Foles is a QB....... HEY!!!!  The Redskins want Foles!!!!!" 

The most cost effective option is to bring back McCoy and Johnson along with a low priced FA QB. If there is a QB that Gruden wants let him get the guy. I do think however if Jay stays and the dust settles that if QB is not the first pick then he will have the last year on his contract to play out before being let go.

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

ESPN is reporting that we may be one of the suitors for Nick Foles.

But is that even financially possible ? Even if Smith can't play next year ?

Because doesn't his 2019 salary make it hard to sign a guy like Foles ?

Yes it is. Forget the Smith cap hit, that's a sunk cost.

We have an estimated 15-20mil in cap space heading into 2019, already taking into account Smiths contract. We can easily create another 25-30mil in cap space.

IF they want another expensive QB contract on the books, its readily achievable. Not that I thinks that's wise. Just that it's very possible.

Wouldn't shock me that its Brett Rypien.  Dan and Bruce are obsessed with nostalgia.  You likely don't even need to use a round 1 pick on him and you might be able to get him in the third round.  I haven't watched him much so I don't really have an opinion aside from his physique reminds me of Colt -- meaning he looks like he doesn't have the frame to withstand NFL punishment.  Bumping this up because he's about to play in one hour -- last college game for him.  Good test against Boston College. 

Archived