Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

8 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Interesting, I've been wondering who that "next Sean McVay" would be, since the media keeps repeating the phrase.

Well that didn't take long, did it, to find another boy wonder to take a 3 or 4 win team, and turn them into a SB contender overnight 😁

Yeah, I doubt it will work, but it just seems too early to throw in the towel on a 1st round pick just because his previous coaches were garbage. They have many holes to fill, and Rosen really is an unknown at this point. If they toss him out and he turned out to be good on a competent team, it would be a horrible way to start off a new coach.

20 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Gruden to Gruden. Day 3 pick to give back the Raiders their 5th. Damn, he's even out of Alabama right :ols:

Jesus. Is McCarron any better than just running with Colt? AJ McCarron is 28, entering his 5th season, and has barely played. If he were any good, he would have been a player already, for someone, somewhere. 

On the gossip part on that tweet about Alex, the Junkies who were ahead of the curve on the Alex injury report weeks back said this last week they heard something that's not good as for a quick recovery for Alex and wondered if he'd play again. Granted who knows.

9 minutes ago, mcdonaldrw said:

Anyone else wonder how much it is going to cost the Redskins when Dan goes and gets Foles after the season?

If this game keeps going this way, wonder if its Wentz on the trade market as opposed to Foles in FA.

22 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

McVay's offense looked fine with a better QB in Cousins. It looked like our defense was holding us back and Cousins couldn't win the big game, which is still the case. I do wish there were more quick slants, but I'm not designing the offense. 

I fixed this for you.

After watching Gruden's weak offense these last two years and watching these current playoff games I realize the Skins will not improve unless they move on from Jay Gruden.  Like some have said the answer will not be getting him another QB because the result will still be mediocre.  

They would be better off bringing in someone like Eric Bieniemy and have him feature AP and Guice until Smith returns.

9 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Go get Nick Foles. But I preference that by saying get a OC that facilitates his strength. If Gruden is designing the offense and calling the plays, it really doesn't matter. They'll suck.

I don't think we are going to attract a better coach than Gruden until we move on from Allen and Snyder steps back. Not unless we have a franchise caliber QB and some young, exciting players, anyway. Or, maybe an established coach that just wants to cash in on a huge paycheck. No coordinator or college coach should come here to have their career ruined. 

23 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't think we are going to attract a better coach than Gruden until we move on from Allen and Snyder steps back. Not unless we have a franchise caliber QB and some young, exciting players, anyway. Or, maybe an established coach that just wants to cash in on a huge paycheck. No coordinator or college coach should come here to have their career ruined. 

I suppose you're right. Man, its a trying time to be even a fair weather fan. Watching a football game shouldn't be so stressful. I really think this team has taken on the personality of what goes on inside the beltway. Just a very mundane status qou approach. Conversely, every game this weekend had exciting offenses, solid defensive plays and dynamic risk taking coaches. Although I was rooting for the Rams, I found myself sad to see the players on the Eagles sideline. Just a good game. I look back and realize I'm never really happy watching the Redskins. Oh yea, the AP runs are fun to watch because its AP. But overall, its just 2-3 hours of blah every damn weekend. I know a guy from the 44 Diesel tailgate ready to bounce on this team. Just a terrible time to be a fan IMO.

On 1/11/2019 at 9:23 PM, Hooper said:

Cardinals new coach in love with Murray. Skins should explore trading for Rosen. See what it would take. His stats were bad, but Arizona was a disaster — I think it could be Goff all over again. The kid can sling it.

If Rosen is available, the skins should do their due diligence to see if he would be a good fit here.  Young QB, rookie contract, a lot of potential.  The only reason we would be getting him is bc cards decide to go in different direction with a new coach who walked right into number one overall pick, not bc Rosen did anything wrong or seems like a bust.

Rosen did a decent job on a pretty bad team.  He did have a reputation as arrogant and abrasive in college, so I don't know if he has the mental fortitude to deal with the dark cloud that is eternally overhead in dc. 

The 15th pick would probably get it done if the cards do decide to go after Murray.  To land a potential franchise QB, you'd have to at least look into it.  But if Rosen is available for the 15th pick and we pass to instead select Daniel Jones from Duke, i will lose my mind.

1 hour ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Get Kyler Murray?  

I hope we don't, for the simple reason that he has baseball to fall back on.  And i think any reasonable human being would take any other decent option over staying with the Redskins.  It would be a wasted first round pick.

On 1/13/2019 at 7:51 PM, joeken24 said:

Go get Nick Foles. 

tenor.gif?itemid=3887568

23 minutes ago, chaught76 said:

Haven't posted in awhile.  Here is my 2 cents.

Alex Smith is my first choice.  Hopefully the guy can make a full recovery.

If that isn't in the cards and we want a plug-n-play starter, why not see what New Orleans wants for Teddy Bridgewater?

Do you think we can contend for a SB with Teddy? If not, that’s one reason why not. Then again, I could just be upset about how your mountaineers treated my Vols. 

19 hours ago, Jericho said:

Wow, everyone's hyper-inflating QB values in this thread. Apparently Daniel Jones is now a Top 15 pick and Kyler Murray is a top 5 pick. People should be fired immediately if either of those things come true

People should be fired before those things come true. 

23 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

we can't afford Foles....

Hopefully Dan doesn’t take that as a challenge.

Every beat guy agrees that Alex is unlikely to play in 2019, last one to say was Finlay today.    They say they don't know for sure but that's what they are hearing or at best maybe he's ready towards the end of the season.  Not that I see Alex as a savior or even close to being one.  

All the guys who cover the team don't always converge on the same point as for what their sources tell them.  But one thing that all agreed on after the season was they'd try to upgrade on Manusky.  That attempt happened.

The new thing is that they will shoot hard for a QB.  As for how there is some disagreement.  Some think a draft move.

Personally I hope they don't and wait to the 2020 draft when I think they likely have a top 5 pick.

The problem is what can they sell to fans right now.  You've all been waiting for years to see what Colt McCoy could do?  Here's the new crop of bargain basement FAs that Bruce signed -- they got JJ Wilcox or name that non-star player at a major discount!   Maybe Guice but they have to wait until training camp to revive that buzz.  You figure they have to make some move.  I hope they don't.  Lets ride Colt this season to land hopefully Tua in 2020.

But I suspect they will be enamored with Haskins or Murray and make a move up the draft.  Will see. 

On 1/13/2019 at 6:35 PM, hogdirty said:

I fixed this for you.

After watching Gruden's weak offense these last two years and watching these current playoff games I realize the Skins will not improve unless they move on from Jay Gruden.  Like some have said the answer will not be getting him another QB because the result will still be mediocre.  

They would be better off bringing in someone like Eric Bieniemy and have him feature AP and Guice until Smith returns.

Eric Bieniemy absolutely. Bravo bro. Someone that gets it. You're not going to out-strength defensive lineman in this league anymore. Especially when you have no passing game to worry about. I was listening to Kedric Goulson (yesterday maybe). He talked about how the Falcons took advantage of the Redskins' defensive line rules. They were able to do it because of their threats at WR.  Of course they beat the breaks off the Redskins.  But they didn't move away from it and Redskins obviously was not able to adjust. But back to this offense......you are absolutely right about Gruden being the constraint.

I feel like I'm asking a lot of questions to the board today...

But...

Why does anyone even remotely think Alex Smith will make a full recovery and be able to play this year? What about next year? Is it optimism? Because I get having optimism. That man could have lost his life, lost a significant portion of his quality of life, etc. So I hope he makes a full recovery, too.

And if he does make a full recovery, what makes anyone think he's going to be able to come back and even be the same guy that he was for us?

My advice, and it's only advice and you can collectively tell me to kick rocks and I'd understand that sentiment:

Don't count on Alex Smith ever playing another down of football again. Don't listen to the rumors. Don't buy into every little juicy morsel. Don't count on him to take another snap.

And then, if he does, for the Redskins or any other team, it's all bonus. 

Personally speaking, I'm more worried about his recovery being good enough that he has a fantastic quality of life moving forward. Him playing isn't even a question in my head right now. I don't believe its impossible, but it's certainly not likely. 

As far as AJ McCarron goes... He got cut from the Bills who started the season with a rookie that they intended to have sit for awhile and Nate Peterman. Peterman beat McCarron out for the starting quarterback position. Let that sink in for a second. 

That stupid ass thing above is stupid...mood??!!!..MOOD!?!!?!?...how do we know what his mood is he looks like he's in a good mood to me and speak for yourself I'm a big Redskins fan and that's not my mood going into 2019..stupid as ****ing tweeting bull ****...dont tell me how to live my life!!!

And what you think he's in a bad mood because of all the cuts and what have you on his face???.. with my 3 11 year old kids and my three dogs that's how my face looks at the end of every day..

Assuming the post above is referring to the joke-footage from twitter about fans mood?  Not quite sure but if what you are saying is that you are in a good mood heading to the season  -- that's cool.  The dude was trying to be funny that plenty aren't in a good mood and I thought it was funny, too.  So if offends any fan who is thinking things are good or all right -- not meant to offend.  I've said many times to each their own on that front. 

I am in a good mood too about the season but not because I think it will turn out well my thoughts on that front are almost exclusively about the QB and Colt taking the helm and what record will ensue from that.  My good mood is because of dreaming about the 2020 draft and how things are unfolding thus far in the context of that.  😁   to that point, I've never been so relaxed about FA for example.  My only fear is a win now move where they sacrifice 2020 draft capital and as long as they don't do that there is almost nothing they can do now to sour my mood as for focusing on the future specifically -- 2020. 

@KDawg  I have no idea what’s going to happen with Smith (I wish him a full recovery for his sake).  I haven’t seen anyone assuming he’d return, but I may well have missed some comments.   Personally, I’m also not assuming he won’t, not because I’m optimistic or a fan of his (except as a person), but because I have no idea what’s possible in terms of surgery and rehab nowadays.  

I would absolutely operate under the assumption he won’t be back were I in the FO though.  To be fair, I’d want to shoot for drafting a franchise guy this year or next regardless of his health, even if he hadn’t been injured.  

Just listened to a podcast that had a lot of Qb talk from Keim and Finlay.  

Impressions:

They weren't crazy about Alex's play and in their eyes his lack of progress in the offense.  But in spite of that, Alex's teammates loved the person and that has some value.  And they were clearly better with him at the helm than who followed.  There is another dude in that building where the team loves the person in the same fashion as Alex -- that is, Colt McCoy.  And they think Colt can make this team competitive albeit there are concerns about his durability.  

It's unlikely they trade for a QB or pay anyone much money considering the cap situation as is.  Flacco they say isn't happening. And its very unlikely that Bridgewater or T. Taylor is happening.

Seems to be 2 most likely scenarios

A.  Colt and Johnson

B.  Colt and they draft a QB

For me, I have to admit while I get its good to have a QB that teammates love and its cool that they believe so much in Colt the dude -- but isn't that a bit out of hand where that's often the first thing people mention about him.  You got to play, too.  I hear constantly about what a great guy Eli is but it sounds like the Giants are looking for an alternative anyway.

This feels a lot like the Mark Brunell narrative when he was here -- yeah maybe the dude can't go toe to toe with the better QBs in the league.  But gosh what a great guy that dude is and how he can joke and relax the players in the huddle.  Not saying that those qualities have no value but long term I am hoping for better than Colt McCoy regardless of how cool a guy he might be. 

Qb will either be Colt,Foles, Flacco, Bridgwater, orrrr Romo out of the booth.

With the Alex Smith contract, if he's unable to play again how does that work...the skins get a discount or is there guaranteed money that wouldn't give us the moola to purchase a qb in free agency?

Archived