Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Unfortunately, I do not think Alex Smith plays again. His injury was gruesome and the resulting complications will not help his recovery.

I think Washington should look to add a QB in the draft and take a chance on a younger, but experienced veteran (Bortles?) I think if your F.O stays true to form, it will be Flacco, which would be a mistake.

Has to be Colt.

Johnson is a significantly worse version of RGIII in every aspect of the game.   Colt has nearly as much mobility and is a significantly more accurate passer with much better overall knowledge in the offense.   Obviously this is if Smith can't play.   We also need to draft a QB but MUST not do so early.   This draft is not as good as the previous draft at the QB spot.   Don't do something desperate.

Draft a QB in round three, four, five, six, whatever.   Someone you can develop.   If Smith can't play you will be positioned to have a Top 3 pick the 2020 draft and you get your QB then.

2 hours ago, Art said:

Has to be Colt.

Johnson is a significantly worse version of RGIII in every aspect of the game.   Colt has nearly as much mobility and is a significantly more accurate passer with much better overall knowledge in the offense.   Obviously this is if Smith can't play.   We also need to draft a QB but MUST not do so early.   This draft is not as good as the previous draft at the QB spot.   Don't do something desperate.

Draft a QB in round three, four, five, six, whatever.   Someone you can develop.   If Smith can't play you will be positioned to have a Top 3 pick the 2020 draft and you get your QB then.

I have a feeling that even with Colt at QB in 2019 we'll still be at 6-7 win team since our defense will likely be pretty good and we'll hopefully have a healthy OL, so I have doubts that we'll be bad enough to land one of the elite QB prospects without trading up.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I have a feeling that even with Colt at QB in 2019 we'll still be at 6-7 win team since our defense will likely be pretty good and we'll hopefully have a healthy OL, so I have doubts that we'll be bad enough to land one of the elite QB prospects without trading up.

I think the best shot of going worse than 6-7 is Bruce doubles down on same old same old on LG and goes cheap FAs as he often does at receiver.  You have Colt throwing to Floyd and guys like that?  We'd have a chance let alone does Colt even have a shot at making it through half a season let alone the whole year. 

I think the other wild card is Josh Norman.  Listening to the beat guys, 50-50 he stays -- some now think its better than 50-50.  If they let him go considering how thin the secondary is now let alone we got nothing at safety -- that could help do it, too. 

But yeah it feels right now to me 5-11, 6-10 if Bruce does his typical thing.  Maybe he surprises will see.  I got no problem crashing this season and this is an unusual position for me to take.  But yeah I do think one of the problems in the Dan era is they never end up with the #1 or #2 pick aside from the Casserly trade making it happen once at the start of Dan's run and 2013 when they didn't even own the pick because of the RG3 trade.

3 hours ago, Art said:

Has to be Colt.

As much as I want to agree with you, I have zero confidence in Colt surviving 16 games.  If we let JJ go (and we should) that developmental rookie will be out there getting blitzed to death whether we like it or not.

I'm going to start a separate thread about Haskins as I believe there's more to having to doing something desperate like then then the reality we cannot compete without a QB.  Without a young QB to develop, we're just going to stay irrelevant until we do.  With our stadium not being quarter empty or completely overrun by other teams fans, I don't thing we can afford to not be desperate here.  Or worse, he goes to the Giants. 

I gave time and said it was too early for me when I made the thread.  I'm with getting a first round QB now.  We have to for the sake of the franchise, and this is bigger then winning and losing now.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

As much as I want to agree with you, I have zero confidence in Colt surviving 16 games.  If we let JJ go (and we should) that developmental rookie will be out there getting blitzed to death whether we like it or not.

I'm going to start a separate thread about Haskins as I believe there's more to having to doing something desperate like then then the reality we cannot compete without a QB.  Without a young QB to develop, we're just going to stay irrelevant until we do.  With our stadium not being quarter empty or completely overrun by other teams fans, I don't thing we can afford to not be desperate here.  Or worse, he goes to the Giants. 

I gave time and said it was too early for me when I made the thread.  I'm with getting a first round QB now.  We have to for the sake of the franchise, and this is bigger then winning and losing now.

You're not wrong about the possibility that Colt couldn't survive the season

But there are two factors that would prevent me from worrying about that.    One, we have to presume Smith will return at some point.   Having Colt start and having Smith return after week 6 or so would be acceptable.   In this case you'd actually keep Colt and Johnson AND a young drafted player.   Assuming Smith can't ever come back, the answer, to me, isn't drafting that QB early in a weaker draft for QB.   It's to simply get another backup behind Colt.   Obviously not Mark Sanchez.   Sam Bradford perhaps.   I do not see us heavily in the market for a "good" backup in the case that Smith is out and that cap hit kills us so I couldn't see Bridgewater, unless the team delays the Smith cap problem with Smith joining in to renegotiate and extend things.   And not sure he's any good anyway :).

I'd much rather be in play for that Clemson kid in 2020 or better QB market then as I do suspect we'll be higher in the draft if Colt is starting.   Our defense is NOT good enough to get us to 6 wins unless we change what we're doing and get a coordinator who both understands how to prepare AND adjust.

36 minutes ago, Art said:

You're not wrong about the possibility that Colt couldn't survive the season

But there are two factors that would prevent me from worrying about that.    One, we have to presume Smith will return at some point.   Having Colt start and having Smith return after week 6 or so would be acceptable.   In this case you'd actually keep Colt and Johnson AND a young drafted player.   Assuming Smith can't ever come back, the answer, to me, isn't drafting that QB early in a weaker draft for QB.   It's to simply get another backup behind Colt. 

I think its fair to be optimistic, but I think I'm firmly in the camp of him not coming back until someone says he will.  He should be done, even if Alex comes back, he was terrible before he went down and saving himself with his mobility, which will likely be shot to **** now.  You kinda have to go into next season with the clear understanding that whoever Colt's backup is in your scenario will be the starter at some point, and people not wanting to pay to see that.

Obviously not Mark Sanchez.   Sam Bradford perhaps.   I do not see us heavily in the market for a "good" backup in the case that Smith is out and that cap hit kills us so I couldn't see Bridgewater, unless the team delays the Smith cap problem with Smith joining in to renegotiate and extend things.   And not sure he's any good anyway :).

I agree with you on Bridgewater, that same as Cousins that even if they are better then what we've had doesn't mean they are great or worth great money : )  I'd go further and say we shouldn't be hitching our wagon to another veteran QB to make us "respectable" in the meantime, because we aren't.  Anything short of a young franchise QB is lipstick on the pig and only keep us from getting a top 5 pick in 2020.

I'd much rather be in play for that Clemson kid in 2020 or better QB market then as I do suspect we'll be higher in the draft if Colt is starting.   Our defense is NOT good enough to get us to 6 wins unless we change what we're doing and get a coordinator who both understands how to prepare AND adjust.

This is why I want to make a separate thread just for Haskins so we can we the specific discussion on if this guy by himself is special, screw everyone else.  This a bad QB class, true story, when you point out the reality that even on the good side of the ball we have huge problems, the situation with this franchise as a whole is going to get worse.  We're talking irrepariable level of damage occurring right now, and I think this guy may be special enough to give our franchise a chance.

Sometimes the logical thing to do isn't the right thing to do.  I'd rather it backfire with this guy knowing we may suck anyway for the next couple year, then find out the Clemson guy is a bust and have to deal with Haskins and Barkley for the next decade.  I think that's what we're up against here, we need a young franchise QB now to help save the franchise from total collapse and playing catchup to our division rivials for the forseable future, taking over our stadium every year.  This is bigger then what makes sense from a team building standpoint right now, we're talking franchise saving moves.

I am still miffed that we didn't use our QB injuries as an excuse to plunder a teams practice squad, for the best QB "out there"

I know, I know, we were still in contention in fantasy land aka Redskins Park.  We may have eeked in but then would have gotten crushed in the playoffs. But there is no excuse as to why we couldn't roll with 3 QBs for a few weeks, as our roster was a turnstile of street guys anyways.

Sure, we can say they were all garbage blah blah but there was no risk and it was a chance to hurt an opponent. Maybe Philly since they did it to us.   And if the QB was good enough for a team to waste a PS spot on, then they were likely good enough to be our 3rd QB. Especially if we targeted the top teams rosters. Keep em for a week, then cut them if need be. Just keep trying.  Steal playbooks.

Plenty of QBs that get drafted are garbage so what's the difference. When Sudfeld got taken from us, did we just abandon all aspirations to develop a QB??

I feel like at the core of a GMs job description, should be a plan for QB.  If you don't have a top QB, you need to have a young one in the fold to develop and try to strike gold. If no QB and no plan, the plan should be to tank and get the best one in the next draft.

Its almost a fire-able offense to think Mark Sanchez was going to lead us into the playoffs.  Josh too but less so, as he at least had wheels that lets a coach effectively simplify the playbook, and counter a POORus OL.

I think we are too stupid to draft a QB this spring. As I think Shanny was as well (Beck and Grossman haha) , not even making an attempt at one his first few years here. And then pushing all in on RG3 in a gross desperation overpay, as a result. We can say that was Dan's mandate, but do you know why Dan gave a meddling mandate? Mike didn't draft a single one. If you were an owner, eventually you would get pissed too.  Early in a rebuild, you get a LT, and a QB. Is it really rocket science? We had the LT... 

For those of you that think we're going to tank or suck in 2019, i think you're reading too much into the Week 10-17 version of this team.

With a healthy OL, a likely early draft pick spend on a LG, and the return of Derrius Guice, the Redskins will have a very respectable running game to go along with a young, improving defense.

Gruden is going to be in win-now mode. He isn't going to tank the season. And he's not going to cut Norman, Reed, etc. just because.

This team is going to finish with between 7 and 10 wins again next year, regardless of whether it's Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, or TBD draft pick at the helm.

This team is not going to go 3-13 unless they literally face the same injury-spree they did in 2018 or Josh Johnson ends up being the QB again.

The path to SMART QB and future building, IMO, is to go get a LG and WR in the first few rounds. Build the run game and add speed to the offense. Continue to build the back-end of the defense. And draft a QB to develop in the 2nd-5th rounds. And if the season falls apart, turn to the rookie to see what he has and look to 2020 for your future QB, and mortgage the future then.

Also, drafting an early QB this year is fine by me. But I also think you waste a year of that rookie QB salary. Alex Smith, whether he plays or not, prevents you from spending $$ elsewhere while you have that rookie QB contract for 4-5 years. Drafting a QB in the 1st this year basically guarantees you waste the first 2 years of that deal with Smith's contract on the books. If you go QB in 2020, that's one less year of having Smith's contract on the books for that deal. And you have another 10 picks in 2019 to continue to build the depth and talent on defense and offense.

Best, best case scenario IMO? You trade the #15 pick in the 1st round to a team that wants to move back into the 1st. For either their early 2nd or late 1st round pick this year, maybe a 4th rounder to replace what you lost for Clinton-Dix, and get a future 1st or 2nd in 2020 to attack QB

If Jay is the coach, Colt will be the starter, Alex on PUP, and JJ will probably backup unless we draft someone.  If we draft a QB late enough, they will be practice squaded and JJ will backup.

If Jay is not the coach, and we have a new coach coming in I personally would LOVE and RG3 reunion.   Don't kill me for saying that, it's strictly football reasons and a lot of high praise from his current coach, and we all know Snyder loves him...

28 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

For those of you that think we're going to tank or suck in 2019, i think you're reading too much into the Week 10-17 version of this team.

With a healthy OL, a likely early draft pick spend on a LG, and the return of Derrius Guice, the Redskins will have a very respectable running game to go along with a young, improving defense.

Gruden is going to be in win-now mode. He isn't going to tank the season. And he's not going to cut Norman, Reed, etc. just because.

This team is going to finish with between 7 and 10 wins again next year, regardless of whether it's Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, or TBD draft pick at the helm.

This team is not going to go 3-13 unless they literally face the same injury-spree they did in 2018 or Josh Johnson ends up being the QB again.

The path to SMART QB and future building, IMO, is to go get a LG and WR in the first few rounds. Build the run game and add speed to the offense. Continue to build the back-end of the defense. And draft a QB to develop in the 2nd-5th rounds. And if the season falls apart, turn to the rookie to see what he has and look to 2020 for your future QB, and mortgage the future then.

Also, drafting an early QB this year is fine by me. But I also think you waste a year of that rookie QB salary. Alex Smith, whether he plays or not, prevents you from spending $$ elsewhere while you have that rookie QB contract for 4-5 years. Drafting a QB in the 1st this year basically guarantees you waste the first 2 years of that deal with Smith's contract on the books. If you go QB in 2020, that's one less year of having Smith's contract on the books for that deal. And you have another 10 picks in 2019 to continue to build the depth and talent on defense and offense.

Best, best case scenario IMO? You trade the #15 pick in the 1st round to a team that wants to move back into the 1st. For either their early 2nd or late 1st round pick this year, maybe a 4th rounder to replace what you lost for Clinton-Dix, and get a future 1st or 2nd in 2020 to attack QB

My thoughts as to why we'll suck isn't because I'm reading too much into the Week 10-17 version of this team.   I agree with you the team is absolutely fine and CAN win 10 games if reasonably healthy.   The team has clear weaknesses, as all teams do, and it would be wonderful to get a legit receiver, a mobile left guard, quick linebackers (though this may have happened already) and a new defensive approach.   But the team is OBVIOUSLY and already PROVEN to be pretty good at being reasonably non-terrible IF HEALTHY.

The reason I suspect we'll suck next year isn't because the team has enough talent to compete if healthy.   It's because I do not see Smith returning AND worse, I fully anticipate that to be so clear he has to retire, which puts us in a cap situation that requires us to cast aside anything other than undrafted rookies, league minimum vets and draft picks for a couple years.   

But, yeah, if Smith CAN come back next year at some point and we have Colt holding the fort a few weeks, the team has the ability to win, if not REALLY compete for a championship as comprised and run.   I just suspect we won't see that team because of Smith's situation.

33 minutes ago, Art said:

But, yeah, if Smith CAN come back next year at some point and we have Colt holding the fort a few weeks, the team has the ability to win, if not REALLY compete for a championship as comprised and run.   I just suspect we won't see that team because of Smith's situation.

Ok, that makes some sense to me. I guess the way I'm looking at it, is even with Smith under contract right now and counting against 2019's cap, we still have the ability to go sign some players to fill holes. Cutting Vernon Davis and Zach Brown gets you to $33 million in cap space. Which is enough to bring in a couple high-end FAs and re-sign Crowder. Let's assume instead of 2 studs, they go get a stud Safety and 2-3 mid-tier guys to provide "high end" depth or middle-tier starting caliber at EDGE and CB.

You can go into the draft targeting a LG, WR and QB in the first three picks (or spurn QB for another piece on defense).

The team is no worse next year Week 1 and might even be better outside of QB, with Guice at RB and a stud at LG.

That team, with Colt McCoy to me goes 7-9. That team with a rookie 2nd or 3rd round QB goes 5-11 to 7-9. THat team with Alex Smith probably pushes 9-10 or more wins.

None of those scenarios really makes me think that we'll be 3-13. But i get what you're saying.

But our cap situation this year is not one we can go out and sign a bunch of guys and re-sign our FAs. But we are far from a "slash and burn" to get under from Smith's cap number.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

What makes you think we'll have a healthy O-line?  Trent and Moses PLAYED in most games this season, but they arguably were only healthy for the first quarter of the season... maybe?

2015 - won 4 in a row (applause) - Lost to GB in WC round - win or go home game

2016 - Lost to Car - would have set us up to likely run away with WC berth 

2016 - won vs Chi - Kept a shred of season alive

2016 - Lost to NYG - would have put us in WC had we won

2017 - Losing 6 of 8 after starting 3-2

7 Mon October 23 8:30PM ET boxscore L   3-3 @ Philadelphia Eagles 24 34 19 344 269 75 1 23 371 244 127 1 3.70 -15.57 -0.77
8 Sun October 29 4:25PM ET boxscore L   3-4   Dallas Cowboys 19 33 16 285 236 49 3 18 307 138 169 1 -2.45 2.02 -12.19
9 Sun November 5 4:05PM ET boxscore W   4-4 @ Seattle Seahawks 17 14 16 244 193 51 1 22 437 289 148 2 -8.18 2.51 9.38
10 Sun November 12 1:00PM ET boxscore L   4-5   Minnesota Vikings 30 38 24 394 313 81 1 21 406 304 102 2 5.61 -8.57 -1.00
11 Sun November 19 1:00PM ET boxscore L OT 4-6 @ New Orleans Saints 31 34 24 456 300 156   27 535 375 160 1 18.03 -24.46 3.00
12 Thu November 23 8:30PM ET boxscore W   5-6   New York Giants 20 10 17 323 201 122 1 7 170 86 84 1 -10.61 21.33 -2.42
13 Thu November 30 8:25PM ET boxscore L   5-7 @ Dallas Cowboys 14 38 15 280 224 56 4 21 275 93 182   -4.45 -7.94 -8.49
14 Sun December 10 4:05PM ET boxscore L   5-8 @ Los Angeles Chargers 13 30 9 201 136 65 1 24 488 314 174 1 -12.06 -3.53 -1.67

2018 - 6-3 to 7-9

All due respect but what makes you think Gruden has a win-now mode?  He doesn't have to tank, I dont think he's got some other gear in his pocket to 'turn on' when the seat is hot.  In each of the last 4 season's we've been in games that you could see would determine the outcome of our season.  

This team is going to finish with between 7 and 10 wins again next year, regardless of whether it's Alex Smith, Colt McCoy, or TBD draft pick at the helm

I don't agree.  See above points.   I will gladly eat crow if you're right, and I'll be rooting for this to happen, but I just don't realistically see it.  Now there's a lot of time between now and the start of the season, but it doesn't look good... TO ME. 

i honestly worry that we will see a similar injury spree simply because it appears to be the trend.

I agree with you on this completely.  I don't want to do anything crazy this year because I don't think anyone up near the top is worth a move to get.  If we go into 2020 and have the ability to get Fromm.. Go get him, don't trip on the way to the podium. 

Agree with you again here bud.... big time.

Yep... but to the earlier points, if we win 8-10 games next season, it's going to take quite a bit to get up to the top of the draft in 2020 to take one of the top guys.  2020 is building to be a good draft for QBs... Tua, Fromm, Herbert, so that appears to be a better bet that you get one of the top guys.  

Not picking on you, just wanted to look at individual points. 

@OVCChairman Yeah, I think a lot of what you're saying is true as well. As far as going QB in 2020, you never really know what teams are going to be in the hunt for QB ... but a lot of teams have invested a lot of picks over the years at the position. After some get drafted this year, there will obviously be teams in 2020 that need QB, but the demand may not be there like it would be after a run of 1-2 years when few QBs were drafted early.

2017 - Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson

2018 - Baker, Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson

2019 - Let's assume Haskins, Lock and Jones are drafted early enough to be considered "Franchise investments" by 3 teams

I could see there being a demand to trade up for a couple of QBs but it's such a deep draft, at least on paper today, that we should be in good shape. It's so much easier said than done, but if we were to find a trade partner and net a 1st or a 2nd for next year and really needed a QB going into 2020, even if we were to finish in the 6-8 win range and have a mid-1st ... having a second 1st round pick goes a long way. Would likely allow us to trade those 1sts for a Top 5 pick without giving up too much in terms of future picks. Maybe another 1st, but nothing extravagant that would cripple the franchise long-term ala RG3

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@OVCChairman Yeah, I think a lot of what you're saying is true as well. As far as going QB in 2020, you never really know what teams are going to be in the hunt for QB ... but a lot of teams have invested a lot of picks over the years at the position. After some get drafted this year, there will obviously be teams in 2020 that need QB, but the demand may not be there like it would be after a run of 1-2 years when few QBs were drafted early.

2017 - Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson

2018 - Baker, Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson

2019 - Let's assume Haskins, Lock and Jones are drafted early enough to be considered "Franchise investments" by 3 teams

I could see there being a demand to trade up for a couple of QBs but it's such a deep draft, at least on paper today, that we should be in good shape. It's so much easier said than done, but if we were to find a trade partner and net a 1st or a 2nd for next year and really needed a QB going into 2020, even if we were to finish in the 6-8 win range and have a mid-1st ... having a second 1st round pick goes a long way. Would likely allow us to trade those 1sts for a Top 5 pick without giving up too much in terms of future picks. Maybe another 1st, but nothing extravagant that would cripple the franchise long-term ala RG3

I get that.  That's 11 teams.  I'd assume that this generation of 'elite's' as well as this generation of 'really good' qbs is going to be winding down.  Brees, Brady, Rodgers aren't getting any younger so those teams will be looking toward the future.  Stafford, Dalton, Flacco will also be winding down, so there will be a handful of teams that may not be QB STARVED, that may be interested in taking that next step toward the future... if one of those teams has a down season and ends up 5-11, they could luck box their way into a very  good QB in 2020 and may not even have to move up. 

1 minute ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Wow, that's optimistic.

We were a blown call away from 7-3 before chaos ensued. And that was without Guice, Crowder and Thompson for much of the early season.

But I do agree, probably being too optimistic. But there was reason to be optimistic about this team's future just 2 months ago. THen it all fell apart.

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

We were a blown call away from 7-3 before chaos ensued. And that was without Guice, Crowder and Thompson for much of the early season.

But I do agree, probably being too optimistic. But there was reason to be optimistic about this team's future just 2 months ago. THen it all fell apart.

I just meant the idea that Colt McCoy could finish one game, let alone play 16. I think McCoy is just about finished as an NFL player.

First of all, is he even under contract for 2019? I honestly don't know.

He's a 32 year old who's played a handful of meaningful snaps in the past three years and has two trips to IR to show for it.

Our entire faith in his as a backup is based on two games from 5 seasons ago.

MCCoy should be finished, but is under contract in 2019. Gonna cost 3mil plus, without his injury we were potentially screwed for upwards of 7mil, so go figure. Chances are the injury was good thing behind closed doors. 

But the cash isn't gtd so he could be cut. Gruden will want to keep him. Bruce will want Flacco on a 50mil 3 year deal. Then we'll draft a DB from Alabama in the first. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

MCCoy should be finished, but is under contract in 2019. Gonna cost 3mil plus, without his injury we were potentially screwed for upwards of 7mil, so go figure. Chances are the injury was good thing behind closed doors. 

But the cash isn't gtd so he could be cut. Gruden will want to keep him. Bruce will want Flacco on a 50mil 3 year deal. Then we'll draft a DB from Alabama in the first. 

That's shockingly cheap, considering.

If Smith were truly done for his career and the idea was to get a solid vet to bridge to a draft pick, you could do worse than Flacco at that rate.

But hard pass.

On 1/3/2019 at 12:19 PM, Eaglesfan said:

Unfortunately, I do not think Alex Smith plays again. His injury was gruesome and the resulting complications will not help his recovery.

I think Washington should look to add a QB in the draft and take a chance on a younger, but experienced veteran (Bortles?) I think if your F.O stays true to form, it will be Flacco, which would be a mistake.

High...I can tell your an eagles fan and I just wanted to say good luck against the saints I really think you guys can repeat what ya did last year.. ugghh I'm feeling like Michael Scott trying to be nice to Toby... 

I've predicted good seasons the last three years.  It doesn't feel that way to me now.  I wasn't impressed with Alex Smith but at least he's a legit starting QB albeit a mediocre to less than that last season.  Still night and day compared to Colt (who even if I bought into, I don't trust his durability) and Josh.  Don't think its an accident that they went 1-6 in the home stretch and could have easily lost that Jax game too. 

This off season might start with losing Zach Brown, Vernon Davis, Josh Norman, Haha Clinton Dix, Preston Smith, Jamison Crowder.  And not that those guys are the be all and end all players but that will open up even more holes to fill.  And they don't have a lot of cap space and Bruce typically doesn't believe in going high end in FA.  

I think we potentially got the perfect storm brewing for a down year.  So i am on board with building the trenches on both sides of the ball.  We need an OG maybe another OG for depth.  We need a pass rusher.   Do what the Colts did they rebuilt their trenches while Luck was recovering for a season plus.  Our O line is in better shape than the Colts before their rebuild but the same approach here applies, build the supporting cast, then get the QB.

Listening to beat guy, none of them think Alex is back in 2019.  the narrative seems to be he retires or attempts a 2020 comeback.  I wish all the best for the dude personally but I can care less about an Alex on the mend at 36 on a comeback.   Go get Tua if possible.

I am with the point below.  JP Finley who typically is optimistic is likeminded on the same point which is 2019 is likely a down year.  Heck even if it isn't down enough to get Tua than they'd still likely be in position or close enough to get Fromm or Herbert or Eason.  The 2020 draft at the moment is looking promising for QB.

So lets Tank for Tua.  I know Dan doesn't believe in rebuilds.  And Bruce and Jay by the likely nature of their job status will scramble to win now.  But I think they have a chance to tank anyway in spite of their intentions to avoid it. 

Here's what I see as the QB situation.

There are two teams that need a QB worse than Washington (assuming McCoy/Johnson are back)

Miami/Jacksonville

There is a team that's probably just as much in need, but probably won't want a vet... but they have a new coach coming in:

Denver

There are teams that need new QBs at some point soon but not quite yet:

Chargers, Patriots, Steelers

Foles/Wentz... One of the two won't be in Philly next year. I see Miami/Jacksonville as the primary landing spot for Foles. If they decided to go away from Wentz due to injuries/Foles play (which I doubt, but just thinking) I think more teams are in play there.

If that happens, for veteran QB needy teams, whoever doesn't get Foles between the Florida teams, the Skins and the Broncos are the only ones who really need/could use a mid level vet QB.

Guys who could be available in some way:

Fitzpatrick

Bridgewater

Bortles

Keenum (maybe, depending on Denver's situation)

Flacco

Tannehill

And of course there will be a few other guys...

Forgetting additional cost (picks) and focusing on the fact all of these guys could be had for relatively cheap here's how I rank them:

1a) Flacco. Yeah... what? But seriously. He's similar to Alex Smith in the sense he's a manager. We saw that Smith fit and with him we were winning. But when he went down and the OL injuries started to compile, we started to lose. So having said that, I think he's a fit. The problem with him is the additional cost and let's face it, none of us really want Flacco,

1b) Colt McCoy. He's listed second but he's probably the team's top choice. Familiar with the offense, fans overall like him. Downside is his injury history.

1c) Teddy Bridgewater - Younger, probably a touch more costly. But he is similar to what Smith/Flacco would bring to the table.

2) Fitzpatrick - Not sure how good of a fit he is. The dude just throws the ball and thinks after the fact, but he'd make the offense more exciting.

3) Tannehill - Meh. If he comes cheap he might be an okay option for a season. The Skins won't "actively" tank so they may think he's an improvement. And he could be. But he's a classic "meh"

Archived