Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

22 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

Y'all know this is crazy talk, right?

The guy was literally calling where Tom was going with the ball in OT.  I can almost guarantee he will be a coach at some point.  I dont think its crazy at all not to want to acquire obviously talented people.  I would think it crazy not to.  I hated Romo when he played, but the guy was a heck of a QB.  Now that his playing days are over I see no reason to hate.  

Romo definitely could coach but I doubt that he will at this point.  CBS realize what they have in him and the talk is his $4 million a year salary is probably going to double at least as they are rushing to lock him down long term.  If he goes the coaching route even if he is a phenom he won't get a HC gig right out of the gate and so won't see money anywhere close to what the eye is giving him, then factor in his rather light work schedule in broadcasting compared to coaching and that he has a bunch of young kids at home. 

On 1/14/2019 at 7:21 PM, KillBill26 said:

If Rosen is available, the skins should do their due diligence to see if he would be a good fit here.  Young QB, rookie contract, a lot of potential.  The only reason we would be getting him is bc cards decide to go in different direction with a new coach who walked right into number one overall pick, not bc Rosen did anything wrong or seems like a bust.

Rosen did a decent job on a pretty bad team.  He did have a reputation as arrogant and abrasive in college, so I don't know if he has the mental fortitude to deal with the dark cloud that is eternally overhead in dc. 

The 15th pick would probably get it done if the cards do decide to go after Murray.  To land a potential franchise QB, you'd have to at least look into it.  But if Rosen is available for the 15th pick and we pass to instead select Daniel Jones from Duke, i will lose my mind.

Me too. Jones if fourth round clipboard holder

2 hours ago, NeverSurrender said:

The guy was literally calling where Tom was going with the ball in OT.  I can almost guarantee he will be a coach at some point.  I dont think its crazy at all not to want to acquire obviously talented people.  I would think it crazy not to.  I hated Romo when he played, but the guy was a heck of a QB.  Now that his playing days are over I see no reason to hate.  

Maybe I should have explained.  He currently gets $4M/yr, the same as Gruden, except he only works 21 weekends per year, during which he plays golf and dines at the best restaurant in town on CBS's dime.  I'm sure he'd be an exceptional coach, but he's about to become the highest paid sports announcer in history -- after his second year on the job.  He has a young family at home.  Maybe he'll be part of an ownership group someday, but he'll never play again and he'll never coach.

Given Gruden and Co have survived any form of cull, looks like McCoy on his relatively cap friendly deal become #1 QB with a day1 or day2 selected rookie as competition. JJ sticks around through camp and may hang about longer as we will no doubt carry three QB this season. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Given Gruden and Co have survived any form of cull, looks like McCoy on his relatively cap friendly deal become #1 QB with a day1 or day2 selected rookie as competition. JJ sticks around through camp and may hang about longer as we will no doubt carry three QB this season. 

Agree with this mostly although I would add another veteran like Fitzmagic to compete with Colt and then carry 4 QBs through training camp letting Colt battle with the rookie and the new vet.  JJ could stay for all of camp and be a cut when we go to 53, nobody is going to claim him but we would have 3 guys on the roster and someone on the street who had a full training camp with us and could be brought back cheap if the injury bug bites again.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, WelshSkinsFan said:

Agree with this mostly although I would add another veteran like Fitzmagic to compete with Colt and then carry 4 QBs through training camp letting Colt battle with the rookie and the new vet.  JJ could stay for all of camp and be a cut when we go to 53, nobody is going to claim him but we would have 3 guys on the roster and someone on the street who had a full training camp with us and could be brought back cheap if the injury bug bites again.

Fitztragic is the one of the worst qb in the league to have on your roster.  He is one of those QBs who lights it up for a few games and gets attention from the vets to win before he gets yanked.  He will destroy the confidence of a young qb before he gets the starting job

10 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Fitztragic is the one of the worst qb in the league to have on your roster.  He is one of those QBs who lights it up for a few games and gets attention from the vets to win before he gets yanked.  He will destroy the confidence of a young qb before he gets the starting job

Dammit, I just ordered a custom Fitzmagic Skins jersey off Alibaba.  Should I switch to Cassell or Weedon?

On 1/24/2019 at 4:02 PM, skinfan2k said:

Don;t want Gruden picking any QB for 2019 and beyond.  He will go 5-11 next year and if that doesnt force his firing, we are doomed

Too much talent in the trenches to not be competitive in 12-14 games. How those games end up is up for debate. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Too much talent in the trenches to not be competitive in 12-14 games. How those games end up is up for debate. 

D line was mostly healthy for their 1-6 finish. 

As for O line, Trent seems to miss games every year.  LG is a mess.  center is nothing special.  I like Moses but he often is banged up and it a false start penalty machine.  Ty is a good back up but he seems banged up a lot, too.    For the O line to fit the concept of "too much talent" to fail drill, I think they have to draft a high end LG to make that work.  Otherwise I don't think its an accident that this unit has unraveled injury wise 2 years in a row.

It's a passing league.  Don't think they can go 9-7 with Colt let alone him even lasting the season.  For this team to be competitive in spite of it -- I think they need a big time blocking TE and a high round LG type.   Then they can survive a bit better the seemingly inevitable injuries on that unit.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

and 0 offensive playmakers. People really overrate the online here.  Any QB/scheme can make a line good.  Only ES thinks we need to draft 5 OLs in the first day of the draft

I hope its not Dalton, you'd figure he will cost at least 15 million, so what they'd have 40 million dedicated to QB?  Bruce just a year ago implied 28 million is way too rich for a QB, so we going 40 million now?  Doubt it.  But this isn't the first rodeo of a rumor about Dalton coming here.  I wouldn't want Tannehill either.

On 1/22/2019 at 4:50 PM, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Ugh, watch them sign RG3

I think signing RG3 would be a telltale sign that Gruden is gone.  He did not want RG3 before and if they sign him, I bet he wouldn't be onboard with it, so, they would be forcing him on him.  Either Gruden gets let go or he quits in this scenario.  We all know Dan loved him some RG3.

2 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

and 0 offensive playmakers. People really overrate the online here.  Any QB/scheme can make a line good.  Only ES thinks we need to draft 5 OLs in the first day of the draft

I agree there are a few coaches/QBs out there (not many) that make it happen at low cost. 

Being competitive in the trenches has great value, but I agree, it’s not an end all be all. The Skins oline continues to be fragile and lack depth, but when healthy, they have shown the ability to effectively compete against anyone. 

Skins QB situation doesn’t allow for any one with a straight face to predict playoffs or 7 plus wins or whatever. Stranger things have happened, so I’ll remain optimistic as I do every year lol. 

While I think Alex's 2018 season was relatively disappointing, I still think he's a smart guy and a great dude.  The idea that Alex might not play again has been echoed by multiple guys covering this team.  Yet, Bruce said don't be surprised to see Alex around the building.

Here's a wild thought that might go down.  Alex is active in helping the team scout his successor (doubt he's the lead evaluator but i can see them asking him what he thinks) and will train him when he arrives.   The dude is getting paid 20 plus million a year, so if he can't play why not tutor?    And it sounds like he's a great tutor. 

Bruce admitted he asks the players on the team about potential draft choices.   Clinton Portis was hired as a consultant for the draft and ditto D. Hall last year.  I can see them infusing Alex into the process some.  Otherwise Bruce's statment about how reporters will see Alex around Redskins Park a lot seems a bit strange. I guess it could be physical therapy-rehab but that I thought usually goes down later in the process post injury.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I hope its not Dalton, you'd figure he will cost at least 15 million, so what they'd have 40 million dedicated to QB?  Bruce just a year ago implied 28 million is way too rich for a QB, so we going 40 million now?  Doubt it.  But this isn't the first rodeo of a rumor about Dalton coming here.  I wouldn't want Tannehill either.

We have a decent team with a clear and obvious hole at QB... What other team has that?

I see the Giants, Broncos, and Jaguars as teams with no clear answer next year.

Haskins, Murray, and Lock as obvious 1st round, top 15 picks... So any team that takes one of them (Bengals, Dolphins, Cardinals, etc.) will have to move their existing QB out

Point is, Bridgewater, Manning, Dalton, Flacco, Tannehill, Keenum, Winston, Mariota... these guys will be out there (The latter 2 are a different convo) and WILL NOT have starting jobs available.

Or... all the teams "Stay put" and one of the top 3 QB's falls to 15.

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bruce admitted he asks the players on the team about potential draft choices.   Clinton Portis was hired as a consultant for the draft and ditto D. Hall last year.  I can see them infusing Alex into the process some.  Otherwise Bruce's statment about how reporters will see Alex around Redskins Park a lot seems a bit strange. I guess it could be physical therapy-rehab but that I thought usually goes down later in the process post injury.

This is another thing that is kinda worrisome for me. Maybe this belongs in the Bruce Allen thread, but why is CP a scout now? Same for D Hall? Same for others. I can see why ex players get jobs in media, and I've even seen some guys like M. Mayhew, DWilliams, J Lynch, get jobs in front offices but this is far from a the norm. And why these players? Why not Matt Bowen or Trent Green or maybe some non Redskins, particularly the guys who were known to be in Snyder's friend zone when they were players. 

1 hour ago, pcbothwel said:

We have a decent team with a clear and obvious hole at QB... What other team has that?

IMO we have a good young nucleus but its share of holes:  LG, SS, DE (if Preston bolts), FS, maybe TE, WR.   It's tough to succeed in the NFL when your weakness is QB-WR.  It's a passing league.  It's nice to have other things going for you.  But its almost like (I am using hyperbole to make a point) we got the best salads, deserts, and bread in town.  Yeah our main course is subpar but we will figure that part of it out eventually.

Take the Giants for example, they are teeming with young stars on offense sans the QB.  Yes, they have to keep building their O line but they are working on it.  

1 hour ago, pcbothwel said:

Point is, Bridgewater, Manning, Dalton, Flacco, Tannehill, Keenum, Winston, Mariota... these guys will be out there (The latter 2 are a different convo) and WILL NOT have starting jobs available.

Or... all the teams "Stay put" and one of the top 3 QB's falls to 15.

You got supposedly:  Jax, Giants, Cincy, Miami, Denver all needing QBs picking ahead of this.  We are one of the worst positioned in the draft to fix the QB situation and we can't really do it in FA because of cap issues.  I don't think its hyperbole when peope say we have one of the worst and maybe even the worst QB situation in the league.

49 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is another thing that is kinda worrisome for me. Maybe this belongs in the Bruce Allen thread, but why is CP a scout now? Same for D Hall? Same for others. I can see why ex players get jobs in media, and I've even seen some guys like M. Mayhew, DWilliams, J Lynch, get jobs in front offices but this is far from a the norm. And why these players? Why not Matt Bowen or Trent Green or maybe some non Redskins, particularly the guys who were known to be in Snyder's friend zone when they were players. 

I don't see a problem with having CP and D Hall giving their thoughts on draft prospects.  CP worked for the Skins last year and I heard him before the draft giving his evaluations on the running backs last year on the radio with cooley.  Except for him being high on Mark Walton his predictions turned out pretty accurate (even on R. Jones and Kerryon Johnson)I don't see how being friends with snyder would prevent them from giving their honest opinion.

Think about this.  If it weren't for CPs input skins wouldn't have drafted Sean Taylor

3 minutes ago, hogdirty said:

I don't see a problem with having CP and D Hall giving their thoughts on draft prospects.  CP worked for the Skins last year and I heard him before the draft giving his evaluations on the running backs last year on the radio with cooley.  Except for him being high on Mark Walton his predictions turned out pretty accurate (even on R. Jones and Kerryon Johnson)I don't see how being friends with snyder would prevent them from giving their honest opinion.

Think about this.  If it weren't for CPs input skins wouldn't have drafted Sean Taylor

Is not necessarily abut their talent but just the fact that we're so set on doing things differently. For years, maybe forever I've just wanted a good scouting department. If they're good, hire them as scouts. But are scouts so irrelevant that what they do, the going to games, the interviews, the behind the scenes stuff, can be replaced with some of Snyder's friends. 

CP made some good draft points last year and i agreed with a lot of them except his not liking Payne.

But it's not about individual guys, it's the philosophy. 

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Is not necessarily abut their talent but just the fact that we're so set on doing things differently. For years, maybe forever I've just wanted a good scouting department. If they're good, hire them as scouts. But are scouts so irrelevant that what they do, the going to games, the interviews, the behind the scenes stuff, can be replaced with some of Snyder's friends. 

CP made some good draft points last year and i agreed with a lot of them except his not liking Payne.

But it's not about individual guys, it's the philosophy. 

The Skins have a great scouting department is true but how is getting input from former players a problem.  You have to consider that these former players actually spent the most time in that locker room and actually know about life in Ashburn away from football.  Also, how do you know that this isn't a normal and common practice by all NFL teams?  It would be hard not to believe that other teams ask former players that are involved what they thought about prospects

Archived