Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

I'd like to see them get Bridgewater...but with Alex definitely out this year it's gonna get interesting seeing what happens. I feel extremely bad for Smith all the way around... having to play here and to end his career the way it happened..I feel awful for the dude.

so smith isnt playing in 2019 as pretty much confirmed today.  he costs us 20 million alone, so with that being said, colt will be here and we'll draft a QB in round one.  doesnt matter who likes it or not, its literally the only option the franchise has.  a QB in round one ensures:

a. low cost starting option

b. excitement to get people back to games

c. potential solution to our perennial QB problem

d. ensures colt doesnt start because that literally gives us no hope and the lack of care will be even worse next year

e. protects grudens job somewhat if the rookie even shows some signs of life

we cant sign a FA QB as they cost too much.  hell even foles is gonna get 20 mil a year or something close.  even trash like bridgewater will cost like 15 a year and we cant afford it.  1st round QB is all we can do.

1 hour ago, Garcon More Wine said:

so smith isnt playing in 2019 as pretty much confirmed today.  he costs us 20 million alone, so with that being said, colt will be here and we'll draft a QB in round one.  doesnt matter who likes it or not, its literally the only option the franchise has.  a QB in round one ensures:

a. low cost starting option

b. excitement to get people back to games

c. potential solution to our perennial QB problem

d. ensures colt doesnt start because that literally gives us no hope and the lack of care will be even worse next year

e. protects grudens job somewhat if the rookie even shows some signs of life

we cant sign a FA QB as they cost too much.  hell even foles is gonna get 20 mil a year or something close.  even trash like bridgewater will cost like 15 a year and we cant afford it.  1st round QB is all we can do.

Kyler Murray guarantees the Skins a top 8 rushing attack with his legs combined with talent of Guice/AP/Thompson. Get it done FO. 

9 hours ago, wit33 said:

Kyler Murray guarantees the Skins a top 8 rushing attack with his legs combined with talent of Guice/AP/Thompson. Get it done FO. 

I am one of the people who are OK here with Kyler Murray who I've noticed has his share of detractors on the board.  But to some fans it speaks of flashes of RG3 so I get the skepticism.   I've seen him play once in person and he's fun to watch, the dude actually IMO is both a better runner and easily a better passer than Lamar Jackson.  Questions to me is his fit to Jay's system and his durability considering his size. 

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am one of the people who are OK here with Kyler Murray who I've noticed has his share of detractors on the board.  But to some fans it speaks of flashes of RG3 so I get the skepticism.   I've seen him play once in person and he's fun to watch, the dude actually IMO is both a better runner and easily a better passer than Lamar Jackson.  Questions to me is his fit to Jay's system and his durability considering his size. 

Draft Murray **** can the coaching staff at season's end bring in coaching staff that fits Murray..

22 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Draft Murray **** can the coaching staff at season's end bring in coaching staff that fits Murray..

Maybe so and I get the point.   And I am actually ok with an overhaul of the coaching system.  But to me the whole process is screwed up.  My take is if you need to force feed a QB on Jay then just fire the dude.  Either ride with the hand you are playing with or not -- there is no middle ground IMO on this where you keep someone while not trusting their judgement and or system and forcing something else on them.

It reminds of when Spurrier wanted to play his Gator Qbs to run the fun and gun-- and at one point I heard that Vinny-Dan stepped in and forced him to start Ramsey.  Even if they were right, the system is screwed up.

I was actually an RG3 guy and not a Jay guy in 2014.   But when Jay decided to start Kirk over RG3 in 2015  -- I supported the move because that's how it should work.  Your HC-offensive coordinator should be able to choose their guy-their system.

Do I trust some of the younger offensive minds like Lincoln Riley over Jay to get the most out of a dude like Kyler Murray. Yes.  But my take is either fully run with something or not versus boxing in Jay to a QB he might not like.

I don’t want to draft a QB this year. I think the smartest thing to do would be roll with Colt/josh Johnson for 2019  and get the worst possible record. Sure, fans will ***** and whine all season about crappy play, but that will also lead to Gruden getting fired, us bringing in a new better coach and being in position to draft Tua or Fromm or whoever is the best QB coming out of next year’s draft. 

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t want to draft a QB this year. I think the smartest thing to do would be roll with Colt/josh Johnson for 2019  and get the worst possible record. Sure, fans will ***** and whine all season about crappy play, but that will also lead to Gruden getting fired, us bringing in a new better coach and being in position to draft Tua or Fromm or whoever is the best QB coming out of next year’s draft. 

I agree, and I’ll add another reason cause regardless of who we would draft at QB this season I don’t see Gruden and Co being here after the 2019 season anyhow as this team is in dire need at a lot of skilled positions and thus placing the drafted QB this season behind a bit needing to learn a entirely different offensive scheme under the new HC and his coaches in 2020... best to roll out with something other then a highly drafted QB in this seasons draft and start entirely over in 2020 with a new QB and new coaching staff imho.

Some will say young QB have done it in the past namely Jared Goff was with Fischer his 1st season then got McVay after that, I would argue there isn’t a QB in this season draft as talented as Goff was or is.

1 minute ago, ashlynskins said:

I agree, and I’ll add another reason cause regardless of who we would draft at QB this season I don’t see Gruden and Co being here after the 2019 season anyhow as this team is in dire need at a lot of skilled positions and thus placing the drafted QB this season behind a bit needing to learn a entirely different offensive scheme under the new HC and his coaches in 2020... best to roll out with something other then a highly drafted QB in this seasons draft and start entirely over in 2020 with a new QB and new coaching staff imho.

Some will say young QB have done it in the past namely Jared Goff was with Fischer his 1st season then got McVay after that, I would argue there isn’t a QB in this season draft as talented as Goff was or is.

I am fine with taking a flier on a guy in rounds 3 and beyond, someone like a Thorson or a Grier. Best case, you've found a guy you can build on. Worst case, you have yourself a backup for the next 4 years - backup QBs in the NFL are not cheap so this could be a way to save cap to use on other positions

9 minutes ago, method man said:

I am fine with taking a flier on a guy in rounds 3 and beyond, someone like a Thorson or a Grier. Best case, you've found a guy you can build on. Worst case, you have yourself a backup for the next 4 years - backup QBs in the NFL are not cheap so this could be a way to save cap to use on other positions

Id be ok with getting a guy in the 4th or 5th solely as a back up to Colt or a possible FA but to many holes to address in the first 3 or 4 rounds.... and as far as Grier is concerned I was never sold on him as a NFL QB but after watching him in the senior bowl I’m even more concerned of him even being a legit back up.....but just my opinion 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The size is concerning. I’m all about going against conventional thinking, but his height and size would certainly represent the extreme the other way.

I’m not bullish on it, as I don’t watch enough college football to justify an opinion, but as you know, I like the idea of a legit dual threat QB and predictable variables that come along with it (strong running game, clock eating, help defense) even with a rookie. I like in highlights that he seems to have some Russel in him in way of avoiding hits and an effortless “baseball slide”. 

I'm always a fan of getting a guy in the lower rounds (2nd and below) to groom. Its less pressure on those guys and if they flame out, no big deal. But with the recent success of guys like Kirk and Dak. Its got a much lower success rate, but so does drafting a QB in general. If we can go say WR or S in the first and then QB later in the draft, we have the possibility of having a really good draft. Even if the QB busts, then it won't be much worse than our normal drafts. 

1 hour ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Can't wait. It will be awesome right up until a LB RG3's him to 3rd string in Buffalo.

Lol... could be right. 

Im one who believes the game will continue to evolve and mirror college more and more. Not that your classic pocket or Luck type won’t be relevant (obviously not the case), but the Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray types will begin to be awarded value to a franchise within their style of play. 

For example, the majority of Lamar Jackson talk was his need to improve in the passing game (Romo beat home this point in a game or two), but failed to elevate and truly celebrate his impact on the Ravens. The athletic guy loses and it’s inabilities as a passer. Luck loses in ugly fashion, the team around him isn’t quite ready.

This predictable end of season narrative by the masses will begin to change for the athletic QB, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, ashlynskins said:

There are certainly QBs more talented than Goff in this draft, I doubt anyone would argue Goff has more talent than Murray, Lock or Jackson - each of whom is a superior athlete with a great arm.

That all said, imo, we need to move out of round one, move Trent, and build rationally rather than emotionally. Take Jackson, Stidham, Finley, Grier or Thorson etc late and let them play the entire preseason, take 2 of them preferably, and if it works, phenomenal, if not, we are set to build through the 2020 draft and still have young talent on defense.

Take Grier in 4, Jackson in 5, & start them alternating weeks. Just let them play. If they stink, so be it — If something is going to click, you’ll see it. Giving rookie QBs two weeks to prepare makes more sense than sending them out each week to take the beatings Luck did. Just because everyone else does it poorly it doesn’t mean it’s the way to go. 

Get as many 2020/2021 picks as possible and let this staff pick 2 QBs they believe in after round 2 concludes. We can add more picks in rounds 3-6 without any difficulty.

If one looks as good as a bum like Kizer, for even 4/8 starts, he will have trade value. Heck, Mike Glennon - inexplicably, had value. Make a rookie QB look decent for 4 games and you’ll get more back than you invested. If they’re both unbelievably atrocious:

With the first pick in the 2020 draft the Washington Redskins select:

Whoever we want

Two bad picks = Tua/Fromm. Simple, and it would be more enjoyable for the fans. Fans love rookie QBs, 83% of those who visit Redskins stadium have had a beer or 9000 at WVU, 4 home games of Willy would sell here. 

We need to stop fighting so hard to protect the opportunity to go 8-8. 

Run with McCoy and a serviceable backup. They have very little money due to Smith's contract and are pretty well screwed. Eat the entire hit in one year and get it over with.

Trade all first/second rounders to later round/year picks, get as many guys as possible on 1 year minimum deals, save $$ and reboot in 2020.

This team cannot afford to continue to kick the can down the road. Hard decisions need to be made for the future, and it needs to start this year.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Lol... could be right. 

Im one who believes the game will continue to evolve and mirror college more and more. Not that your classic pocket or Luck type won’t be relevant (obviously not the case), but the Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray types will begin to be awarded value to a franchise within their style of play. 

For example, the majority of Lamar Jackson talk was his need to improve in the passing game (Romo beat home this point in a game or two), but failed to elevate and truly celebrate his impact on the Ravens. The athletic guy loses and it’s inabilities as a passer. Luck loses in ugly fashion, the team around him isn’t quite ready.

This predictable end of season narrative by the masses will begin to change for the athletic QB, in my opinion. 

Problem is that many people thought that in the 2012-ish times with RG3, Wilson, and Kaep and the success of the read option. But once teams figured it out the only guy who continued to be successful was Wilson, who was the closest thing to a pocket passer among them and who morphed his game pretty quickly towards using his legs to extend plays as opposed to using his legs to run a bunch. RG3 and Kaep couldn't seem to evolve their game and became more or less irrelevant. 

Of course Cam still does run a decent amount but the dude is 6'5 250 lbs with wheels so that's a bit of a unique situation.

The running thing is one of my biggest worries with Kyler Murray. He seems far too inclined to just tuck the ball and take off instead of keeping his eyes downfield; not that he doesn't use them to extend plays and throw, but he just pulls down and runs way more than I'd like. And at his stature he ain't gonna be able to stay healthy for long doing that in the NFL where the DL, LBs and DBs are fast/quick/savvy enough to get him and lay the wood.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

Problem is that many people thought that in the 2012-ish times with RG3, Wilson, and Kaep and the success of the read option. But once teams figured it out the only guy who continued to be successful was Wilson, who was the closest thing to a pocket passer among them and who morphed his game pretty quickly towards using his legs to extend plays as opposed to using his legs to run a bunch. RG3 and Kaep couldn't seem to evolve their game and became more or less irrelevant. 

Of course Cam still does run a decent amount but the dude is 6'5 250 lbs with wheels so that's a bit of a unique situation.

The running thing is one of my biggest worries with Kyler Murray. He seems far too inclined to just tuck the ball and take off instead of keeping his eyes downfield; not that he doesn't use them to extend plays and throw, but he just pulls down and runs way more than I'd like. And at his stature he ain't gonna be able to stay healthy for long doing that in the NFL where the DL, LBs and DBs are fast/quick/savvy enough to get him and lay the wood.

Cam is also beat to hell, he’s having another surgery & the hits on him cost Carolina a spot in the playoffs.

I see some love for Lamar Jackson, but he’s atrocious. I’d rather run the wild-silverback than have Lamar. 

I just read an article that says the new Bengals coach will dump Andy Dalton for Tannehill since he's worked with Tannehill before. Then, the Bengals would trade Dalton to the Skins because of Gruden's history of working with Dalton. I'm not saying I like this for the Skins but the idea makes a lot of sense if Dalton becomes available. 

22 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I just read an article that says the new Bengals coach will dump Andy Dalton for Tannehill since he's worked with Tannehill before. Then, the Bengals would trade Dalton to the Skins because of Gruden's history of working with Dalton. I'm not saying I like this for the Skins but the idea makes a lot of sense if Dalton becomes available. 

I just watched a clip on NFL.com saying that Tannehill and Flacco could be 2 possibilities for the Skins..... at this point of the season I think all these ppl just report things and ideas for the sake of staying busy.....last I checked Zac Taylor was going to be the new HC for the Bengals....really know nothing bout the guy but he was a QB at Nebraska but when did he cross paths with Tannehill?

Archived