Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Foles is not better than Wentz and we shouldn't try to sign him. For the "QB wins" people I'm sure it sounds like a great idea. 

He's won 4 straight playoff games which is great. In 2 of those 4 games they scored 15 and 16 points. It's a good story but they're winning because they have a great defense. 

It would be extremely Redskins to acquire him though so I guess I should get ready for it. 

Just now, redskinss said:

I guess I wasn't thinking do both.

Yeah sure both strategies would work well together. 

I posted this yesterday, but this team is 53 players away from a Super Bowl.

The Redskins biggest folly over the years is the continued promise to the fans that THIS IS THE YEAR.  They are so ****ing afraid to do a proper rebuild because of...well, I guess fans not understanding the process, not understanding why they traded mainstays.  And then the fans are upset and don't come out to Fed Ex.

Well guess what, all the ****ty and and mediocre seasons have done that.  Now they REALLY can't do a proper rebuild.  They're perpetually stuck in this HEY WE'RE GONNA BE GOOD THIS YEAR crap that is so old and tired and doesn't work.  

Honestly, for 2019, I hope we have the worst QB play in the league.  I want the Redskins to be so terrible, so awful to watch because I want them picking high in the draft for aforementioned reasons.  The flip side of the coin is that Bruce doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon so he'd be pulling the strings on everything.  That's the other big issue here, we can suck, get good picks but we've got a clownshow front office that no one trusts to build a team the right way.

Dan tried to let a proper rebuild happen, but he got the wrong guy. He tried to let Shanahan do it, and ran out of patience after Mike didn't even draft a single QB his first few drafts. Dan intervened, made Mike overpay for RG3, and then took Cousins for spite, and the rest is history.  He also (foolishly IMO) set out to destroy our 4-3, which seemed to set us back a year or 2 itself, ok closer to a decade.  Dare I think we have not "reapt" any benefits from the 3-4 whatsoever, especially since we barely use it. Last year was the closest we have had to a viable 3-4 front 7, and our defense was still abused despite almost no injuries in that 7.

A rebuild in the NFL is not complicated, and doesn't require 5 years. A big part of deciding to embark upon it, is the timing of available QBs.  A team can do a major retool in 1 year. 

20 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Dan tried to let a proper rebuild happen, but he got the wrong guy. He tried to let Shanahan do it, and ran out of patience after Mike didn't even draft a single QB his first few drafts. Dan intervened, made Mike overpay for RG3, and then took Cousins for spite, and the rest is history.  He also (foolishly IMO) set out to destroy our 4-3, which seemed to set us back a year or 2 itself, ok closer to a decade.  Dare I think we have not "reapt" any benefits from the 3-4 whatsoever, especially since we barely use it. Last year was the closest we had a viable front 7 and our defense was still abused despite almost no injuries in that 7.

A rebuild in the NFL is not complicated, and doesn't require 5 years. A big part of deciding to embark upon it, is the timing of available QBs.  A team can do a major retool in 1 year. 

That last part about the timing of available QBs is everything.  The QBs drafted in 2010 and 2011 were kinda terrible.  Basically 2 QBs had any success at all, Cam Newton and Andy Dalton.  Three, if you wanna count Kaepernick for a while.

1 hour ago, PF Chang said:

Foles is not better than Wentz and we shouldn't try to sign him. For the "QB wins" people I'm sure it sounds like a great idea. 

He's won 4 straight playoff games which is great. In 2 of those 4 games they scored 15 and 16 points. It's a good story but they're winning because they have a great defense. 

It would be extremely Redskins to acquire him though so I guess I should get ready for it. 

The 2 games of great defense discount the 2 games of great offense where they put up 38 and 41? 

They also played the 2 best defenses in the league at the time in Minn and Chicago.  38 against the #1 D in Minn.  Only 16 against the Bears, but graat offense in driving the field when it mattered. 

14 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The 2 games of great defense discount the 2 games of great offense where they put up 38 and 41? 

They also played the 2 best defenses in the league at the time in Minn and Chicago.  38 against the #1 D in Minn.  Only 16 against the Bears, but graat offense in driving the field when it mattered. 

There is no doubt that Foles has looked good in the majority of his late season opportunities....with Philly. 

McNabb didn't exactly appear to be falling off a cliff when he was traded from Philly to here.  Alex Smith had the best season of his career in 2017, only to come here and struggle as a passer in this system with these weapons.

I will not be surprised if the highest bidder for the services of Foles end up disappointed that he doesn't live up to the late season heroics he's shown the past two years.  Too many variables at play.  It would be awesome if every QB was just plug and play and maintained or exceeded their prior level of play, but that's rarely the case.

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is no doubt that Foles has looked good in the majority of his late season opportunities....with Philly. 

McNabb didn't exactly appear to be falling off a cliff when he was traded from Philly to here.  Alex Smith had the best season of his career in 2017, only to come here and struggle as a passer in this system with these weapons.

I will not be surprised if the highest bidder for the services of Foles end up disappointed that he doesn't live up to the late season heroics he's shown the past two years.  Too many variables at play.  It would be awesome if every QB was just plug and play and maintained or exceeded their prior level of play, but that's rarely the case.

Oh, I wholeheartedly believe whoever gets Foles will end up disappointed.  lol  I just gotta give him his full credit for this run.

26 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I think the 2 games of bad offense discount the 2 games of great offense. Not entirely, I mean I think he's played well in those games in general. It's just inconsistent and I wouldn't want to sign him and especially wouldn't want to trade for him. 

The first game he started when Wentz got hurt last year he played well. Then he was bad the next 2 games and the divisional round. Great the next 2 and in huge games. His play the first 2 games of this year was OK but nobody was suggesting to keep Wentz on the bench over it. He was terrible with the Rams as a starter. 

He deserves a lot of credit for the run last year for sure though.  

Foles... like Flacco seems to step it up in the playoffs for whatever reason.. but I doubt he will fare well through a full season. Also, the only organization where Foles has ever seen success is Philli. All Philli has to do is wait for Foles to fail at his next destination and bring him back a couple of years later at a league min as a backup.

I would entertain the idea of trading up and nabbing whichever QB the Giants want, with the pick before them.  Be it this year or next. If we can't win at least don't let our rivals build up.  Make them pay for taking Barkley over a QB.  It's got to be better than drafting no one, trading down instead and watering down our talent, and going with the senior QBs tour again next year. 

Our presume cap woes dictate we need a kid at QB unless we want to keep getting older and older at QB.  Draft one or make a play for Rosen.

It doesn't matter what QB we pick or have on our roster if the offense is garbage. Jay Gruden's offense is terrible because he doesn't know when to make adjustments to the game plan when things aren't going right. This whole season showed that. Yeah they were 6-3 before Smith broke his leg but seriously they weren't lighting up the scoreboard. Our WR's were non-existent and a vertical threat wasn't there. Alex Smith and Colt McCoy are good QB's but they aren't a good system that accents their abilities. When was the last time you saw the Redskins throw a slant? Jay Gruden's offense from what I have observed is made up of curl routes, bubble screens and out patterns. You always here that they limit the plays called when a back up is in the game but you don't see that on other teams around the league. Take Philly for example. When Wentz went down, Foles came in without any dip in performance. Colt McCoy has been here for 5 or 6 years and they say he knows the system but they still went out and traded for Alex Smith. So McCoy is not the answer at the starter if Smith is not at the beginning of the year. Josh Johnson is not either. I have been a Redskins fan for over 45 years and Joe Gibbs, Bobby Beathard, and  Charlie Casserly were the reason that the Redskins won the Super Bowls with the teams they had. They assembled great teams that were disciplined and maximizing their talents. Why do you think teams like the Steelers, the Packers, and the Patriots stay on top? They have great coaching, great scouting, great Front Office, and an Owner that allows them to do their job. So until the Redskins get the correct mix it won't mater who they have a QB. 

6 hours ago, paloosa said:

It doesn't matter what QB we pick or have on our roster if the offense is garbage. Jay Gruden's offense is terrible because he doesn't know when to make adjustments to the game plan when things aren't going right. This whole season showed that. Yeah they were 6-3 before Smith broke his leg but seriously they weren't lighting up the scoreboard. Our WR's were non-existent and a vertical threat wasn't there. Alex Smith and Colt McCoy are good QB's but they aren't a good system that accents their abilities. When was the last time you saw the Redskins throw a slant? Jay Gruden's offense from what I have observed is made up of curl routes, bubble screens and out patterns. You always here that they limit the plays called when a back up is in the game but you don't see that on other teams around the league. Take Philly for example. When Wentz went down, Foles came in without any dip in performance. Colt McCoy has been here for 5 or 6 years and they say he knows the system but they still went out and traded for Alex Smith. So McCoy is not the answer at the starter if Smith is not at the beginning of the year. Josh Johnson is not either. I have been a Redskins fan for over 45 years and Joe Gibbs, Bobby Beathard, and  Charlie Casserly were the reason that the Redskins won the Super Bowls with the teams they had. They assembled great teams that were disciplined and maximizing their talents. Why do you think teams like the Steelers, the Packers, and the Patriots stay on top? They have great coaching, great scouting, great Front Office, and an Owner that allows them to do their job. So until the Redskins get the correct mix it won't mater who they have a QB. 

Gruden's offense looked fine with a better QB in Cousins. It looked like our defense was holding us back and Cousins couldn't win the big game, which is still the case. I do wish there were more quick slants, but I'm not designing the offense. 

Foles looks good for the Eagles because he is good. There was no dip in performance not because they are well coached, but because they were smart enough to obtain not one, but two quality starters. With Foles, the Redskins would be a playoff team. 

Also, I can almost guarantee that we will be making a move for a new starting QB. I can almost as assuredly guarantee that it won't be the right move, because we are the Skins. 

On 1/11/2019 at 9:23 PM, Hooper said:

Cardinals new coach in love with Murray. Skins should explore trading for Rosen. See what it would take. His stats were bad, but Arizona was a disaster — I think it could be Goff all over again. The kid can sling it.

And who do you start to build him up here? 

Trading for Rosen is an intriguing situation. I've seen that discussion elsewhere. I would not even remotely consider giving a first rounder for him, but a day 2 pick in 2019 with a conditional 2020 day 2 pick as well would interest me. The other alternative is to trade away a couple of high contract vets, maybe Reed or dare I say Trent Williams.

Not sure Rosen can be totally judged based on the 2018 car crash season in Arizona.

Put it this way, I'd have more respect/comfort if we traded for him as opposed to trading for another thirty something QB who wants a final pay day here.

25 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

No way the Cardinals throw in the towel on Rosen. They're going to focus on their other many lacking positions, and hope that their new coach can Goff him.

Wouldnt be so sure. When the new head coach thinks a player is a phenomenal talent and worthy of the number one overall pick, and he just by chance lands in the position to take that player number one, those are quite unique circumstances. Probably never gets that chance again in his coaching career.

You could say that is a dream scenario for the Cardinals and their new HC.

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Hmmm, everything is a rumor this time of year but interesting if true...

We shall see how much pull Doug Williams has along with scouting group.  Skins love Daniel Jones from Duke.  IF he makes it to #15, he might be the pick.  We shall see.

3 hours ago, NickyJ said:

hope that their new coach can Goff him.

Interesting, I've been wondering who that "next Sean McVay" would be, since the media keeps repeating the phrase.

Well that didn't take long, did it, to find another boy wonder to take a 3 or 4 win team, and turn them into a SB contender overnight 😁

Archived