Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anti-Vaxxer thread (New York Reports 1st Polio Case in Nearly a Decade)

China

School with major chickenpox outbreak has high vaccination exemption rate

ASHEVILLE, North Carolina — A chickenpox outbreak at a private school now ranks as North Carolina's largest since a vaccine for the virus became available more than 20 years ago, health officials say. 

As of Friday, 36 students at Asheville Waldorf School had contracted the varicella virus, known to most as chickenpox. The school has one of the highest vaccination religious exemption rates in the state.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China

"What's the big deal with chickenpox? There is no big deal," said Asheville resident Amy Gordon, whose children were vaccinated for polio and other diseases in the late 1980s, years before the chickenpox vaccine became available.

"If I was a parent with a kid who wasn't vaccinated, I'd want to send my kid to the Waldorf School to get chickenpox," Gordon said.

Had the vaccine been around when her children got their other shots in the late 1980s, Gordon still wouldn't have allowed it, she said.

National paper speaks to local idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, bcl05 said:

Early on in my medical training, I watched a 5 year old with treatable leukemia die from chickenpox.  I will never forget that kid, and I will never forgive anti-vaxxers.

I'm curious to what's the medical consensus on spreading them out? Is there one? I have some crunchy friends who accept the vax's requirement but swear by spreading them out. Does that make sense at all or is it a bunch of BS too?

I have no kids myself and really can't speak other than not being wanted to be infected by the little heathens. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

I'm curious to what's the medical consensus of spreading them out? I have some crunchy friends who accept the vax's requirement but swear by spreading them out. Does that make sense at all or is it a bunch of BS too?

I have no kids myself and really can't speak other than not being wanted to be infected by the little heathens. 

Spreading them out is BS and makes no sense.  The recommended schedules have been studied extremely carefully and extensively and are based on real science.   Many pediatricians accommodate parents because spreading them out is better than not doing them at all.  

Disseminated varicella (chicken pox) is an awful way to die.  Extraordinarily painful (the virus can directly infect nerves - same bug as shingles).  When idiots say "what's the big deal about chicken pox" I just want to scream.  Prior to the vaccine, ~15,000 people were hospitalized and 100+ people died every year from it (usually vulnerable patients - chemo, immune deficiencies, HIV, etc).  Now its just a handful, but those preventable deaths will come back if the anti-vaxxers have their way.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just found out some I know is an anti-vaxxer after her son had a reaction after a shot. The mindset is identical to global warming deniers. Doesn’t matter that major autism nonprofits say there is no link and huge studies have been done. 

I get mad about anti-vaxxers...mostly because it's lazy to believe in that BS. 

With the wealth of information at our disposal, how can you come to a reasoned decision that it's better not to vaccinate? Either you're such a wingnut that you're dangerous to your children or you are too lazy to validate the information you hear from Karen in the carpool line. Either way, it's inexcusable. 

• Like 2

We're asking the wrong question and maybe it needs to be its own thread:  Should people be allowed to opt out of certain vaccines for reasons that aren't medical related (like doctor saying it will kill them, thus defeating the purpose)?  I believe the answer is "no", and if you don't like you, you can just avoid places that require vaccines, like home school your kids.  Religious reasons are ridiculous, the constitution protects freedom of religion but that does not mean it should be at the expense of people who don't practice the same religious beliefs as you.  What you believe doesn't effect other people unless something like this happens, that's completely different then banning prayer at school.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I get mad about anti-vaxxers...mostly because it's lazy to believe in that BS. 

With the wealth of information at our disposal, how can you come to a reasoned decision that it's better not to vaccinate? Either you're such a wingnut that you're dangerous to your children or you are too lazy to validate the information you hear from Karen in the carpool line. Either way, it's inexcusable.  

uZC5fF9.gif

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

A Person Carrying the Measles Attended the Portland Trail Blazers Game Last Friday

The announcement comes two weeks into a measles outbreak in Clark County, Wash. that has sickened at least 19 people, including 15 children.

A person contagious with the measles attended a Portland Trail Blazers home game last Friday, Jan. 11, Multnomah County officials announced this afternoon.

The announcement comes two weeks into a measles outbreak in Clark County, Wash. that has sickened at least 19 people, including 18 children. At least 16 of the people who got sick didn't have a measles immunization.

Multnomah County health officials sent out a notice this afternoon that one of the people carrying the measles virus attended the Jan. 11 Blazers game against the Charlotte Hornets.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

How to Inoculate Against Anti-Vaxxers

The World Health Organization has ranked vaccine hesitancy — the growing resistance to widely available lifesaving vaccines — as one of the top 10 health threats in the world for 2019. That news will not come as a surprise in New York City, where the worst measles outbreak in decades is now underway. Nor in California or Minnesota, where similar outbreaks unfolded in 2014 and 2017, respectively. Nor in Texas, where some 60,000 children remain wholly unvaccinated thanks in part to an aggressive anti-vaccine lobby.

Leading global health threats typically are caused by the plagues and perils of low-income countries — but vaccine hesitancy is as American as can be. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the percentage of children who are unvaccinated has quadrupled since 2001, even though the overall utilization of most vaccines remains high. More than 100,000 American infants and toddlers have received no vaccines whatsoever, and millions more have received only some crucial shots.

It’s no mystery how we got here. On the internet, anti-vaccine propaganda has outpaced pro-vaccine public health information. The anti-vaxxers, as they are colloquially known, have hundreds of websites promoting their message, a roster of tech- and media-savvy influencers and an aggressive political arm that includes at least a dozen political action committees. Defense against this onslaught has been meager. The C.D.C., the nation’s leading public health agency, has a website with accurate information, but no loud public voice. The United States Surgeon General’s office has been mum. So has the White House — and not just under the current administration. That leaves just a handful of academics who get bombarded with vitriol, including outright threats, every time they try to counter pseudoscience with fact.

Click on the link for more 

I am NOT an anti-vaxer.  I also do not pretend to be smart enough to understand all the science presented.  That said, I do wonder how vaccines affect the ability of people to fight off illnesses later.  What is the line between preventing a disease and weakening your bodies ability to fight things off because it hasn't had to before?

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

That said, I do wonder how vaccines affect the ability of people to fight off illnesses later.  What is the line between preventing a disease and weakening your bodies ability to fight things off because it hasn't had to before?

Do you know what a vaccine is? It's literally exposing you to a safe version of a disease so you don't get it later in life. Your system is exposed to something like Chicken Pox or Measles, but in a non-fatal way so your body fights it off and you never get it for real.

As someone who had cancer (leukemia) as a child, **** anti-vaxxers. Herd immunity means I don't die, not that your kids doesn't have to get a vaccine because everybody else will. I had to miss a month of school in 3rd grade because some kid came in with Measles and I had no immune system because of chemo. Almost had to repeat a grade because somebody didn't get their kid an MMR vaccine. Yes, I'm a bit biased.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I am NOT an anti-vaxer.  I also do not pretend to be smart enough to understand all the science presented.  That said, I do wonder how vaccines affect the ability of people to fight off illnesses later.  What is the line between preventing a disease and weakening your bodies ability to fight things off because it hasn't had to before?

A vaccine is like weight training for your immune system. It doesn’t keep it from working, it makes it work, so that it’s more prepared when exposed to live virus. 

9 hours ago, HOF44 said:

A vaccine is like weight training for your immune system. It doesn’t keep it from working, it makes it work, so that it’s more prepared when exposed to live virus. 

But isn't it a weaker version of a virus injected?  To stick with your analogy, is it like knowing you have to go into a weight lifting competition so you only do 10lb curls?

I have read that things like the rampant use of hand sanitizer actually hurts your immune system in the long run.  I laugh because at work, the people that use it the most seem to be sick the most.  

Again, I'm not expert.  Just kicking around ideas.