Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anti-Vaxxer thread (New York Reports 1st Polio Case in Nearly a Decade)

China

1 minute ago, dfitzo53 said:

How come?

Probably cause if you have that many kids these days you probably some super religious weirdo or a guy who doesn't understand how condoms work. For me it would make me look harder at a candidate. Maybe they had kids in different marriages or had an octomom situation.

20 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

How come?

Overpopulation is real to me. I don't have kids and at 44 I likely won't...but if people want to have 7 or 9 or 22..that's up to them. But it's a disqualifier for me when they are candidates...provided they aren't up against someone worse (other policies wise). 😁

Edited by The Evil Genius

Measles outbreak: Rockland County, New York, declares state of emergency

Health officials in Rockland County, New York have declared a state of emergency amid an ongoing measles outbreak. The county is prohibiting unvaccinated children under the age of 18 from going out in public spaces for 30 days, CBS New York reports.

There have been 153 confirmed cases of measles in Rockland County, which sits about 40 miles north of New York City. The majority of cases have been in children, most of whom have not been vaccinated.

"We will not sit idly by while children in our community are at risk," County Executive Ed Day said in a press conference Tuesday. "This is a public health crisis and it's time we sound the alarm."

The ban begins at midnight tonight and is in effect for 30 days. Public places affected by the order include include shopping centers, businesses, restaurants, schools, and places of worship. Anyone under 18 who hasn't been vaccinated will be banned from such places for 30 days or until the individual gets vaccinated. People who are medically unable to get vaccinated are exempt.

Day noted that this is the first effort of its kind nationally. "The circumstances we're facing here clearly calls for that," he said.

He emphasized that law enforcement will not be going around asking everyone for their vaccination records. However, parents of unvaccinated children "will be held accountable" if they are found to be in violation, Day said, and could face a class B misdemeanor charge.

Click on the link for the full article and video

An Arizona mom refused to take her unvaccinated toddler to the hospital for a fever. Armed police officers tore down the door.

The scene looks like something from a middle-of-the-night drug raid. Guns drawn, police officers in tactical vests surround a beige ranch house in an anonymous subdivision. With a single decisive kick, one busts down the door. "Come out with your hands up!" an officer yells, as a flashlight's blinding beams begin sweeping the room.

But police in Chandler, Ariz., weren't seeking out a trove of illegal narcotics when they showed up at the modest home in the Phoenix suburbs on Feb. 25. Instead, they were searching for a 2-year-old who had come down with a dangerously high fever. The boy's mother, Sarah Beck, had allegedly ignored doctors' orders and refused to take him to the emergency room, fearing that she would get in trouble because he wasn't vaccinated. When officials showed up to do a welfare check hours later, the child's father refused to let them in, saying that everything was fine and the fever had passed. Eventually, police decided to take matters into their own hands.

"They treated us like criminals, busting in our door," Brooks Bryce, the toddler's father, told KPNX last month. "I mean, I don't know what kind of trauma that did to my kids."

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Measles outbreak: Legislators move to end religious exemptions from vaccines amid outbreak

NEW YORK CITY - State legislators are pushing to end non-medical exemptions to vaccinations for school-aged children, as measles cases in Brooklyn, Queens and Rockland County have reached 425.

Legislation in Albany mirrors one passed in California after a measles outbreak spread through Disneyland in 2015.

State Sen. Brad Hoylman and state Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz, the main sponsors of the bills, were joined by medical professionals and State Sen. David Carlucci, D-New City, Thursday afternoon on the steps of City Hall to call for support of the legislation.

"The goal here is to push legislation to remove all non-medical exemptions for vaccination for children to go to school in New York state," Carlucci said. "We've seen the spread of measles really spread like wildfire in communities where the vaccination rates are not high."

7 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Just found out that my brother in law, whose fiance is pregnant with their first child, is anti-vaxxer.

I feel like I'd just take the kid to get vaccinated on my own. I'd probably not impregnate anyone that dumb to begin with though.

Measles Outbreak: New York Declares Health Emergency, Requires Vaccinations in Parts of Brooklyn

For months, New York City officials have been fighting a measles outbreak in ultra-Orthodox Jewish communities in Brooklyn, knowing that the solution — the measles vaccine — was not reaching its target audience.

They tried education and outreach, working with rabbis and distributing thousands of fliers to encourage parents to vaccinate their children. They also tried harsher measures, like a ban on unvaccinated students from going to school.

But with measles cases still on the rise and an anti-vaccination movement spreading, city health officials on Tuesday took a more drastic step to stem one of the largest measles outbreaks in decades.

Mayor Bill de Blasio declared a public health emergency that would require unvaccinated individuals living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to receive the measles vaccine. The mayor said the city would issue violations and possibly fines of $1,000 for those who did not comply.

If someone creates a vaccine for HIV (doubtful, since it's a mutating virus), you will hear Republicans claiming that it is a license for promiscuity/homosexuality. If you think I am wrong, go back and watch the GOP primary where the other candidates eviscerated Perry for pushing the HPV vaccine in TX.

• 2 weeks later...

'Brady Bunch' Episode Fuels Campaigns Against Vaccines — And Marcia's Miffed

As the number of measles cases nationwide rises to levels not seen since before the virus was declared eliminated in 2000, some people who oppose vaccines cite an odd cultural reference as evidence that the concern about measles is overblown: a 1969 episode of The Brady Bunch.

Some former Brady Bunch cast members aren't happy about it.

The episode "Is There a Doctor in the House?" features the whole family sick with measles. First, Peter gets sent home from school. Mother Carol Brady, played by Florence Henderson, describes his symptoms as "a slight temperature, a lot of dots and a great big smile," because he gets to stay home from school for a few days.

Once the rest of the six kids come down with measles, the youngest two Brady siblings fool around, with Bobby trying to color Cindy's measles spots green.

"If you have to get sick, sure can't beat the measles," sister Marcia says, as the older Bradys sit around a Monopoly board on one of the kid's beds. All the kids are thankful they don't have to take any medicine or, worse, get shots, the thought of which causes Jan to groan.

People who are critical of vaccines bring the episode up often. It's used in videos and memes and is cited by activists like Dr. Toni Bark, who testifies against vaccines in courts and at public hearings across the United States. To them, it aptly illustrates what they consider to be the harmlessness of the illness.

"You stayed home like the Brady Bunch show. You stayed home. You didn't go to the doctor," she says. "We never said, 'Oh my God, your kid could die. Oh my God, this is a deadly disease.' It's become that."

Some former cast members are upset the show is being used in 2019 to bolster arguments against vaccines. Maureen McCormick played Marcia as a teen. She found out a few months ago that an anti-vaccination Facebook group was circulating memes of her with measles from that episode, and she was furious, she says.

McCormick says that she got measles as a child and that it was nothing like the Brady Bunch episode; she got really sick.

"Having the measles was not a fun thing," she says. "I remember it spread through my family."

In 1969, the year that the Brady Bunch episode came out, there were more than 25,000 measles cases and 41 deaths, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

I'm wondering. I wouldn't be surprised if the CDC has a list of every single person in the US with measles, and how they got it  

I'd be really interested to know how many of the people who've got it, got it from somebody who intentionally chose not to get vaccinated. 

(Granted, I assume that a good chunk of those cases are people who, themselves, chose not to get vaccinated.)

• Like 1

15 Finds Out: 'Anti-vaxxers' weigh in on vaccination debate, measles crisis

FORT WAYNE, Ind (WANE) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported more than 700 cases of measles so far this year, making it the worst outbreak since the disease was thought to have been eliminated two decades ago. 

Just this week the Indiana State Department of Health issued a new order that allows Hoosiers to get a measles vaccine without a prescription in response to the growing crisis. 

Public Health officials said the rise in measles outbreaks is largely because more people refuse to get vaccinated. The term "anti-vaxxers" has been commonly used to describe them. 

Those who refuse vaccinations said they have good reason. 15 Finds Out wanted to know why. 

A post on WANE 15's Facebook page generated more than 2,000 responses. 

Those who are against vaccinations believe the vaccines may come with serious health risks, including injury or death. They are concerned about toxins in vaccines and there is also a belief that the CDC, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and drug companies overlook the potential harm caused by vaccines. 

Rebecca Mekus said she began researching vaccine safety about 6 months after her 2-year-old son Eli Shugert died suddenly.  

She said Eli collapsed while playing outside 12 days after his birthday. He was rushed to the hospital where he later died. An autopsy indicated the cause of death was unknown. 

Mekus was devastated by his death and desperate for answers.  

"What could have caused a perfectly healthy two-year-old with no known medical issues to just go limp one day and not come out of it?" she said.  

Eli received all his immunization shots on schedule, but she wonders if those vaccines could have been the cause. 

Information that she found on the internet suggested that the toxins found in vaccines may have overloaded his immune system, she said. According to Mekus, Eli had MTHFR gene, which she believes impacted his ability to process some ingredients found in vaccines. 

Medical professionals dispute that claim. 

"I just knew going forward that going forward with more children I wasn't going to be putting them in that situation for anything possibly to happen," said Mekus. 

On 5/2/2019 at 11:56 PM, China said:

15 Finds Out: 'Anti-vaxxers' weigh in on vaccination debate, measles crisis

FORT WAYNE, Ind (WANE) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has reported more than 700 cases of measles so far this year, making it the worst outbreak since the disease was thought to have been eliminated two decades ago. 

Just this week the Indiana State Department of Health issued a new order that allows Hoosiers to get a measles vaccine without a prescription in response to the growing crisis. 

Public Health officials said the rise in measles outbreaks is largely because more people refuse to get vaccinated. The term "anti-vaxxers" has been commonly used to describe them. 

Those who refuse vaccinations said they have good reason. 15 Finds Out wanted to know why. 

A post on WANE 15's Facebook page generated more than 2,000 responses. 

Those who are against vaccinations believe the vaccines may come with serious health risks, including injury or death. They are concerned about toxins in vaccines and there is also a belief that the CDC, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and drug companies overlook the potential harm caused by vaccines. 

Rebecca Mekus said she began researching vaccine safety about 6 months after her 2-year-old son Eli Shugert died suddenly.  

She said Eli collapsed while playing outside 12 days after his birthday. He was rushed to the hospital where he later died. An autopsy indicated the cause of death was unknown. 

Mekus was devastated by his death and desperate for answers.  

"What could have caused a perfectly healthy two-year-old with no known medical issues to just go limp one day and not come out of it?" she said.  

Eli received all his immunization shots on schedule, but she wonders if those vaccines could have been the cause. 

Information that she found on the internet suggested that the toxins found in vaccines may have overloaded his immune system, she said. According to Mekus, Eli had MTHFR gene, which she believes impacted his ability to process some ingredients found in vaccines. 

The fundamental problem with this line of thought (and others like it presented in the article) is if the ingredients in the vaccine somehow overloaded his immune system and killed him, what would the measles do to him?

Most healthy people have essentially no issues with a vaccine.  Measles make even healthy people pretty sick.  If you die because your immune system was overwhelmed by something that most normal people have no real issues with, what would happen if your immune system runs into something that actually make most healthy people actually sick?

If you're worried about the vaccine triggering some specific genes related to your genetic makeup that make you more likely to get some other illness, what genes is the measles going to trigger to cause some other disease?

At worse, it has to be a coin flip situation for you with the added bonus that you protect other people that we know can't get vaccinated due to their health issues if you get the vaccine.

Edited by PeterMP