Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An assault on American voters is underway

No Excuses

7 hours ago, The Sisko said:

US: Oh no! *GASP!* [clutching pearls] What you're doing to the people in Hong Kong is a horrible assault on human rights and democracy.

China: STFU! The only difference between our authoritarianism and yours is that we don't lie about it.

What world are you living in that China is honest?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Georgia Voter Suppression Bill

Lawsuit brought by the New Georgia Project, Black Voters Matter Fund and Rise challenging several provisions of a Georgia voter suppression bill. The case claims that the bill’s voting restrictions—including new identification requirements for absentee voting, limits on the use of absentee drop boxes, banning mobile polling places, invalidating ballots cast before 5:00 PM in the wrong precinct, banning any non-poll worker from giving food or drink, including water, to voters waiting in line, and more—violate the Fourteenth Amendment and Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.

Read the Complaint Here

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, China said:

Georgia Voter Suppression Bill

Lawsuit brought by the New Georgia Project, Black Voters Matter Fund and Rise challenging several provisions of a Georgia voter suppression bill. The case claims that the bill’s voting restrictions—including new identification requirements for absentee voting, limits on the use of absentee drop boxes, banning mobile polling places, invalidating ballots cast before 5:00 PM in the wrong precinct, banning any non-poll worker from giving food or drink, including water, to voters waiting in line, and more—violate the Fourteenth Amendment and Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act.

Read the Complaint Here

I suspect the content of the bill is secondary to how the TQP envisions it being enforced. 

The local Daughters of the Confederacy will be able to pass out doughnuts and coffee to the 3 1/2 minute lines in wealthy/ white districts with nary a second look, while in the districts where the votes aren't "quality...cough cough" law enforcement will be handing out arrests and fines all day long in lines stretching for hours. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

This is a great start. Hopefully athletes and other notable people refuse to sign with teams in Georgia and refuse to perform in the state. 

I believe that if the bill had been signed into law before the NBA all-star game, the players would have boycotted. 

• Like 3

I'm seeing some yokels on Twitter saying "It's not about the water itself, it's preventing gifts that could influence a vote!"

1) If you're so weak minded that your vote is literally decided by who gave you water while you were standing in line then you're already a lost cause and are irrelevant.

2) Fine, if they really want to talk about "buying votes", then the same people should introduce bills that ban ALL dark money and political contributions outside of those from single citizens and below a certain amount. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't have much time these days to post around here but I lurk. And it's a sad state of affairs that this thread has only become more relevant since the time I started it.

This is the inevitable end result of a political movement whose ideas suck and that has lost all faith in its ability to win the consent of the majority. It's just a really sad coalition of whiny little babies who cannot accept that most Americans want nothing to do with them.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 3/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, PokerPacker said:

What world are you living in that China is honest?

Everyone knows what China, Russia and other such countries are about and they make no bones about it. However, I had never actually looked at the Chinese constitution. It turns out theirs also claims to guarantee certain human rights so it’s a lie...just like ours. So, I’ll stand corrected. That said, they’re certainly not holding themselves out as paragons of human rights the way this country does. To paraphrase Malcolm, I have more respect for a devil that doesn’t claim to be an angel. 

If you think about it, it’s kind of ironic that Animal Farm was written about the Soviet Union but some parts of it are starting to look awfully familiar right here in the alleged land of the brave, home of the free-ish.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Sisko said:

Everyone knows what China, Russia and other such countries are about and they make no bones about it. However, I had never actually looked at the Chinese constitution. It turns out theirs also claims to guarantee certain human rights so it’s a lie...just like ours

Remember decades ago, hearing NPR interview an author who had written a book called Political Jokes of Leningrad.  The jokes that he ways Russians tell each other, when it's trusted family only.  The interview included two jokes:  

What's the difference between the Russian constitution and the American constitution?

The Russian constitution guaranteed freedom of religion, and freedom of speech.

The American constitution guarantees freedom after church, and the speech.  

How does a smart Russian Jew talk to a dumb Russian Jew?  

Long distance from New York.  

58 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Can't we take away their federal funding for highways or something? The All Star game moving is a great start, gotta hit'em in the wallet.

They don't care.  

You actually think the Republican Party has ANYTHING that they think is more important than gaining and keeping power?  

When Russia is endorsing their candidate.  Heck, when a virus is killing 3,000 Americans a day, they're willing to be on the side of the virus, because they think it will help them in the quest for power.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Larry said:

They don't care.  

You actually think the Republican Party has ANYTHING that they think is more important than gaining and keeping power?  

When Russia is endorsing their candidate.  Heck, when a virus is killing 3,000 Americans a day, they're willing to be on the side of the virus, because they think it will help them in the quest for power.  

Costing them tons of money will make the voters in Georgia care, though. Hell, we already believe that Ossoff and Warnock got elected because people wanted an extra $1,400.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure I'm feeling the Jim Crow comparison or throwing that around.  Unless we talking about literal segregation, can't we just stick to the times and the current language of what the GOP is trying to do?

I can kinda agree with you.  

What they're doing will absolutely have the effect of suppressing the black vote.  Some of it, like the plan to criminalize voting on Sunday, is absolutely being done for the primary purpose of suppressing the black vote.  

Now, no, they're not doing if because they don't want blacks voting.  They're doing it because they don't want Democrats voting.  If blacks voted Republican, they'd be mandating these forms of voting, instead of prohibiting them.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Costing them tons of money will make the voters in Georgia care, though. Hell, we already believe that Ossoff and Warnock got elected because people wanted an extra $1,400.

And my phone ran almost 24/7 for 2 months and 2 days to get those 2 fellas there.  If I have to do more next cycle, so be it.  I'm not giving up.  I won't be angry, it's a cause and worthy of my action, just like sticking up for Roe. 

Stacey kicks ass.  I support ass-kickers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm not sure I'm feeling the Jim Crow comparison or throwing that around.  Unless we talking about literal segregation, can't we just stick to the times and the current language of what the GOP is trying to do?

Call it whatever you want to.....

May be a cartoon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Larry said:

They don't care.  

It’ll affect state revenues a bit but they’ll see it as a win-win because not only do they get their way but it’ll take money out of the Atlanta economy. It’s funny how so-called real ‘Muricuns hate class warfare, except when it’s against alleged well to do city dwellers.

I’d rather see them get hit where it would really hurt the people clamoring for this. We need a campaign to get buyers to avoid Georgia chicken instead.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I agree it seems a little different on the surface. However, looked at through the “in name only” lens that the Republiklans have used to thwart the gains of the civil rights movement, it fits perfectly. So yes, looked at broadly, one could say they’re only targeting Dem voters. However that fails to take into account the reason most blacks are now Dems after being Republicans for so many years post Lincoln. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As far as whether the Jim Crow comparison is righteous or not.  To me it is another form of Separate but equal.  They technically will still have the right to vote, however the rules and conditions for them to vote are....separate from others.  Therefore in that sense you can make the argument it is a modern twist on Jim Crow.