Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An assault on American voters is underway

No Excuses

On 3/29/2021 at 8:22 AM, LD0506 said:

So many are getting all wound up about the voter denial- personally I see it as a gift. Not only did they go WAY TF over the top with their craziness (water?? seriously??), but they did it far too early. 

I think you may be right. Democrats typically do awful during midterms. Republicans are counting on that to win back the Senate and House. Moreover, they are counting on these laws. It's very possible that these anti-voting efforts put a fire under the Democrats and make Republicans more complacent. After all, if we believe polls, a growing percentage of Republicans favor what Biden is doing relative to infrastructure and COVID while they are becoming more unhappy with Republicans in Congress. If that remains the case, then the bases may turn out, but the laws may increase Democratic participation and allow Republicans to think that since they've cooked the books they don't need to bother to vote.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Coca Cola and Delta are the Susan Collins of corporations. 

They didn't act because they care, they're worried about their bottom line- period.

And that's ok, talkin money is always more effective than talkin politics. 

Now start twisting some arms on corporations outside of Georgia, that's not the only problem by a long shot.

The problem with the boycotts is that they hurt Atlanta way more than the rest of Georgia.  It's a double-win for the Georgians who support this garbage (at least in their heads): They're disenfranchising Atlantans and making them economically less powerful within the state too. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, balki1867 said:

The problem with the boycotts is that they hurt Atlanta way more than the rest of Georgia.  It's a double-win for the Georgians who support this garbage (at least in their heads): They're disenfranchising Atlantans and making them economically less powerful within the state too. 

Agreed. Aside from boycotts targeted at agricultural products, I'd love to see folks start pressuring advertisers to pull out of the Masters in Augusta.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

The natural response to this would be for Delta to donate heavily to Dems running for the statehouse. I'd hope they're smart enough to jump on this opportunity by pledging to reverse it. Kinda hard to run as a true conservative...that raised taxes, especially *GASP* corporate taxes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think you may be right. Democrats typically do awful during midterms. Republicans are counting on that to win back the Senate and House. Moreover, they are counting on these laws. It's very possible that these anti-voting efforts put a fire under the Democrats and make Republicans more complacent. After all, if we believe polls, a growing percentage of Republicans favor what Biden is doing relative to infrastructure and COVID while they are becoming more unhappy with Republicans in Congress. If that remains the case, then the bases may turn out, but the laws may increase Democratic participation and allow Republicans to think that since they've cooked the books they don't need to bother to vote.

democrats don't do terribly in midterms... the party in power does (which amounts to the same this time).     I will be PISSED if Ron ****ing Johnson squeeks out another victory just because mid-term voters are pissed and/or complacent.... get rid of that ****tard asshole

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

Agreed. Aside from boycotts targeted at agricultural products, I'd love to see folks start pressuring advertisers to pull out of the Masters in Augusta.

The Master's would be HUGE, especially if people go after advertisers and get a few major golfers to pull out. I can't blame a guy for playing if he's never won one, but imagine a few green jacket veterans doing something else for the weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, The Sisko said:

The natural response to this would be for Delta to donate heavily to Dems running for the statehouse. I'd hope they're smart enough to jump on this opportunity by pledging to reverse it. Kinda hard to run as a true conservative...that raised taxes, especially *GASP* corporate taxes.

Also, the party of "free markets" deciding that the government should literally tax a specific corporation because it made a public statement against them.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Apple's Tim Cook joins chorus of critics against Georgia's voting restrictions

Apple Inc Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook on Thursday was the latest corporate leader to speak out against the state of Georgia’s new voting restrictions, which many critics say targets Blacks and other racial minorities.

“American history is the story of expanding the right to vote to all citizens, and Black people, in particular, have had to march, struggle and even give their lives for more than a century to defend that right,” Cook said in a statement.

The Republican-backed Georgia law strengthened identification requirements for absentee ballots, shortened early voting periods for runoffs and made it a misdemeanor for members of the public to offer food and water to voters waiting in line.

Click on the link for the full article

53 minutes ago, Burgold said:

How could it possibly be legal to strip courts of oversight?

Obviously, in a state, things could easily be different.  

But they've been making noises along those lines, for decades.  For example, when it came to GTMO, and W's attempts to declare them as immune to the courts.  I think they actually passed legislation saying that.  Their justification for it is that the US Constitution grants Congress the authority to set the jurisdiction of the courts.  

Now me, at the time, I claimed that if I were on SCOTUS, and they tried to pull it, my ruling would be that the Congress has the authority to determine which court has jurisdiction over various cases.  But that placing a matter beyond the reach of the entire Judicial Branch was a matter of separation of powers, and requires a constitutional amendment.  

Edit:  

I've got this idea going through my head.  

I think Nancy should introduce a proposed change to the House's rules.  (Which can be passed, by a simple majority of the House, and nobody else.)  

In the event that any state, through legislation or any other means save constitutional amendment, attempts to declare elections as beyond the scope of any of the Executive, Legislative, or Judicial branches, then any election held under color of such law or rule shall be held invalid by this body.  Any Representatives elected under color of such law or rule shall not be seated.  Nor shall any electoral college votes corresponding to said Representatives be counted.  

How about it, Kansas.  Want to play "Let's see just how evil things can get, when we decide to abandon all rules and just go straight naked partisanship abuse of power"?  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 9:07 AM, mistertim said:

Coca Cola and Delta are the Susan Collins of corporations. 

That was my first though. Well, not so clever with linking to Collins but just the general thought. 

the thing is though that’s sort of the cross roads usually isn’t it? Like you reach that point where a couple groups/companies release statements after the fact that probably directly contradict the previous 20 years of involvement in politics in an effort to be trendy/PR. 

and then it seems like that’s either it, and we “move on” from the topic, or there then comes a cascade of other companies becoming proactive on the issue. 

so, curious whether we just move on or if this becomes another ‘black lives matter’ thing (where there’s actually movement in the private sector to at least start to try to back up the words)