Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Falcons

KDawg

1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

The SKINS were NEVER going to the SB...nobody predicted that. The SKINS are making progress towards the playoffs..maybe a one win there. We are NOT in a league of the P's, NO, Rams..but we ARE seeing SOME good games played and like Kdawg said..playing hard! Why you all need to slam Alex is beyond me. I have enjoyed this season more than any of the previous (except for 2012,2015). As AEROSMITH would say..Get a Grip...

I didn't mention Alex Smith.  I said the offense is bad and I also said having a great offense is now necessary to win a Super Bowl.

I'm not interested in the penalty excuses.  Atlanta had a drive where they had like 3 or 4 penalties that coulda stopped the drive and they scored a TD anyway.  We could not move the ball consistently and we couldn't stop them from going up and down th field on us.  No penalties and we still lose, still likely a blowout

I’m so tired of terrible coaching. It really gets hard to watch season after season. We just look clueless on both sides of the ball far too often and adjustments are nonexistent. When we inevitably finish 8-8 again this year, I hope we have the patience to go out and do a proper head coaching search. I know that will never happen with this team, but it’s nice to think it’s possible. 

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

I can stomach a loss to the Falcons.  They actually have a legit star QB and passing offense with a great head coach.  But the Bucs?  I literally have no respect for them whatsoever LOL With that said, next weekend is MUST WIN DO OR ☠️

Shows what you know. Tampa, especially with Fitzmagic has the highest output offense in the league. They could hang 45 on us, easy.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I think it's pretty close to must-win too. I thought at 5-2 we needed to split the next 4 games (Atlanta, Tampa, Houston, and Dallas). So, that leaves us needing to get 2 of the next 3 and Tampa is arguably the easiest one. If we do somehow accomplish that and are 7-4 with 5 games to go...we still have things out in front of us. 

And just how are we going to stop their passing attack?

7 minutes ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

The SKINS were NEVER going to the SB...nobody predicted that. The SKINS are making progress towards the playoffs..maybe a one win there. We are NOT in a league of the P's, NO, Rams..but we ARE seeing SOME good games played and like Kdawg said..playing hard! Why you all need to slam Alex is beyond me. I have enjoyed this season more than any of the previous (except for 2012,2015). As AEROSMITH would say..Get a Grip...

Because he's been bad all season. We paid a ton to get him. And he's not playing remotely close to what we gave for him, in players, picks and salary.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And just how are we going to stop their passing attack?

I have no idea...I wasn't contending that it's a layup, just that it's one of the easier games to win. Houston is ROLLING and we rarely sweep Dallas. So, if we are to split the 4 games I talked about, it would seem that Tampa is one we need to have. 

2 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I have no idea...I wasn't contending that it's a layup, just that it's one of the easier games to win. Houston is ROLLING and we rarely sweep Dallas. So, if we are to split the 4 games I talked about, it would seem that Tampa is one we need to have. 

Dallas is likely the easier win. Tampa has scored less than 26 points once this year. Even healthy, that a huge amount with this offense. With a beat up OL, I honestly don't think we have any chance.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Dallas is likely the easier win. Tampa has scored less than 26 points once this year. Even healthy, that a huge amount with this offense. With a beat up OL, I honestly don't think we have any chance.

That's fair...but isn't Tampa a more likely win than Houston? In my scenario we need 2 of the next 3 to still have a shot down the stretch. 

7-4 with a mini-bye after Thanksgiving gives us a legitimate shot to contend for something. Even though 6-5 doesn't bury us, it's a tough climb with 2 games vs. Philly still upcoming. 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's fair...but isn't Tampa a more likely win than Houston? In my scenario we need 2 of the next 3 to still have a shot down the stretch. 

7-4 with a mini-bye after Thanksgiving gives us a legitimate shot to contend for something. Even though 6-5 doesn't bury us, it's a tough climb with 2 games vs. Philly still upcoming. 

Maybe it's not realistic? If we have season ending injuries at both guard spots, we can pretty much call this season over. If we can't run, we have no shot against anyone.

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

I can't stomach a loss to a team whose defense absolutely stinks, but comes into our home stadium and not only shuts the offense down, but embarrasses the offense in multiple facets of the game.

When four of your starting o-line is hurt with one guy out already (Trent) and two others getting injured and not returning (Lauvao and Scherff) along with another getting injured, but returning to play injured (Moses), bad things are going to happen.  Especially when our WRs are bad and our QB is bad.  Injuries really hurt the running game basically turning us into a one dimensional team by forcing us to pass more (also being behind and needing clock).

We only gained 79 yards on the ground and 42 of those came off a QB scramble (22 yards) and two garbage time runs by Perine (20 yards).  I typically will not blame games on the officials as every game usually has missed/blown calls on both sides of the ball, but I will them out when it's insanely lop-sided like it was yesterday.

After the opening drive by the Falcons, I knew it was going to be a long day.  The refs never gave us a chance.  I stopped counting how many times the Falcons held our guys, especially on critical 3rd downs that went uncalled.  I know I was up to at least 6 or 7 plays.  Hell, on one of those plays there should have been two flags tossed cause they held on both the left and right side as our guys were about to get to Ryan.

Then they toss a flag on us for holding after a huge pass play and TO called to set-up a FG to put some points on the board and gain some momentum going into the half.  Flag tossed well after the catch and TO called, complete BS.  And the non-call on the pick play that allowed the Falcons to score..........

It's a wonder the entire team didn't give up and just roll over.  Glad to see them fight until the end, but damn, it's hard to get anything going when the refs set the pace/tone of the game and it's not in your favor.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Maybe it's not realistic? If we have season ending injuries at both guard spots, we can pretty much call this season over. If we can't run, we have no shot against anyone.

No, I agree. 

I'm only saying that IF there's a path to 7-4 (no matter how unlikely that may be), it would probably need to include wins in Tampa and Dallas. That's all. 

Given how this team will look moving forward though, I agree that winning 2 of the next 3 seems EXTREMELY unlikely. 

I feel the same as I did before the game. We are good enough to control average teams and below. We can't compete with an explosive offense. I think we have a shot to make the playoffs but we aren't good enough to do anything with it. Our offense needs to be able to put up 30 if we want to be a threat. Nothing yesterday changed that outlook. Not sure why others were surprised. 

9 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Doc Walker said it best today.  The OL injuries are an excuse.  Next man up!!!  The Colts beat us with backup pieces on the OL, Falcons beat us with 2 backup Guards....  So we know it's possible to win in this league with backups.  They are paid too.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'm not an advocate of just getting rid of Williams, though. He's still our best lineman. His replacement needs to be drafted as soon as we're in position, and either move Williams to guard or move his replacement for a bit to upgrade the line. Lauvao needs to be moved on from in the offseason. 

I agree with a lot of your posts.  Some I do not.  I don't think it's a place really to argue as you back your posts up with solid evidence.  I disagree but what to see why you think moving Trent to guard will "help the line".  He is one of the best LT's in football and absolutely want him protecting the blind side of Alex or any other QB.  Unless the guy coming in is better than trent, he stays put, IMO.

One of the theories i have on the oline injuries, and where i might be conspiracy theorist (and need you or others to say i'm crazy or may be right), is the fact this offense is built around 10-12 play drives to score, EVERY DAMN DRIVE.  

In 2015 we had a healthy line, but we also had Desean (not enough i might add) getting bombs.  We had Garcon who still had RAC ability.  We had screen plays working to perfection.  This year?  We have one completed bomb for a TD and haven't tried many others.  That equates to run run pass pass pass run run pass pass run, FG.  You are keeping these lineman on the field for a ton of plays in a row, every drive unless it's 3 and out.  Bottom line, i think the playcalling is keeping these lineman on the field consistently and wearing them down.

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

It's a wonder the entire team didn't give up and just roll over.  Glad to see them fight until the end, but damn, it's hard to get anything going when the refs set the pace/tone of the game and it's not in your favor.

In a game of inches, refs are able to give away yards. too much damn influence on the outcome of games. 

5 minutes ago, superozman said:

I agree with a lot of your posts.  Some I do not.  I don't think it's a place really to argue as you back your posts up with solid evidence.  I disagree but what to see why you think moving Trent to guard will "help the line".  He is one of the best LT's in football and absolutely want him protecting the blind side of Alex or any other QB.  Unless the guy coming in is better than trent, he stays put, IMO.

You answered your own question :)

I said move him or his replacement. Which I was hoping hinted at the better of the two plays LT.

12 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

When four of your starting o-line is hurt with one guy out already (Trent) and two others getting injured and not returning (Lauvao and Scherff) along with another getting injured, but returning to play injured (Moses), bad things are going to happen.  Especially when our WRs are bad and our QB is bad.  Injuries really hurt the running game basically turning us into a one dimensional team by forcing us to pass more (also being behind and needing clock).

We only gained 79 yards on the ground and 42 of those came off a QB scramble (22 yards) and two garbage time runs by Perine (20 yards).  I typically will not blame games on the officials as every game usually has missed/blown calls on both sides of the ball, but I will them out when it's insanely lop-sided like it was yesterday.

After the opening drive by the Falcons, I knew it was going to be a long day.  The refs never gave us a chance.  I stopped counting how many times the Falcons held our guys, especially on critical 3rd downs that went uncalled.  I know I was up to at least 6 or 7 plays.  Hell, on one of those plays there should have been two flags tossed cause they held on both the left and right side as our guys were about to get to Ryan.

Then they toss a flag on us for holding after a huge pass play and TO called to set-up a FG to put some points on the board and gain some momentum going into the half.  Flag tossed well after the catch and TO called, complete BS.  And the non-call on the pick play that allowed the Falcons to score..........

Better coaching and leadership will address many, if not all, of the shortcomings you outlined in your post. And I don't really disagree with what you're laying down here. I think the excuses for injury are no longer valid. You have an LT who, although one of the best in the league, is aging and keeps getting hurt. Therefore, you need quality depth behind him. This has been known for sometime now, and has never been addressed. On that right side, I've already expressed my views on Morgan a year ago and won't revisit that, lest I get doggone near run out of the thread again. And we all agree on Lauvao. Upgrades and quality depth were not just needed, but were priorities. Neither got addressed in any meaningful way.

When the refs start with "mystery stuff", you jump on their asses, and you ride them all game long. Our boy just stands there and looks stupid. Don't make snide remarks in a post-game press conference. Give 'em the business during the game. All officials on a crew don't stink, even when the crew seemingly calls a terrible game. They watch film after the game too. If you point out that they're absolutely screwing up something or routinely missing certain violations by the other team, it will usually be corrected during the game. There were veteran guys on that crew yesterday who always go into halftime and counsel the lead official on things that need to be watched or perhaps corrected (one used to lay into Triplette EVERY game for stuff he was completely screwing up). Gruden didn't say a damn thing of consequence to a single official all game long. Atlanta's coaches were tearing into the officials all game. And before the game, they harped and harped on interior holding, saying they didn't want our line to get away with stuff that was missed in previous games (their words). The refs were then looking for it, and two kept calling it. Jay is all Howdy Doody before the games with the officials. You can't just kick the empty can down the street and whistle with your hands in your pockets.

12 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

When the refs start with "mystery stuff", you jump on their asses, and you ride them all game long. Our boy just stands there and looks stupid. Don't make snide remarks in a post-game press conference. Give 'em the business during the game. All officials on a crew don't stink, even when the crew seemingly calls a terrible game. They watch film after the game too. If you point out that they're absolutely screwing up something or routinely missing certain violations by the other team, it will usually be corrected during the game.

My impulse is this exactly, but refs are already corrupt and jaded enough. Players or coaches do this, and the refs will not forgive or forget. So not only will they be pushing an agenda for the League, but also an agenda out of their own personal spite. It's a no-win situation. All you can hope to do is draft an exciting QBotF that the fans and media will salivate over... and hope the League dictates that the Redskins become relevant again. 

They just said on the radio Scherff has possible torn pec muscle and if MRI confirms it. Season.   

Swell. Does every other franchise constantly have their entire O-lines missing months at a time?

Swearinger was saying on the radio that pick plays are designed specifically to go after man to man coverage. I am assuming it is because if the blocking WR can pick his guy off and in essence throwing the other cornerback off his angle to the receiver, it leaves the area with no defender to contest the pass or make a tackle.

DJ said that teams who want to play man-to-man have to figure out ways to defend the pick play.  Colts & Falcons throw out a lot of pick plays.

The game against Tampa, I wouldn't be surprised if they draw up a bunch of plays that utilize Mike Evans as the blocking WR for a pick play, similarly to how Julio Jones was used in that way for picks. 

Now I know the non-calls didn't determine the game, but I am still salty that the Falcons for an entire half were pretty much allowed to commit Offensive PI at will.  We've seen a guy like Jordan Reed get called for that penalty multiple times a game.  This pick play thing just looks like another example of the officials calling it when they feel like it or depending on the star power of the person setting up the pick.   I assume Gruden gave the officials an earful at halftime because in the 2nd half all of the sudden Atlanta was called on it, for doing the same thing they did in the first half, which just goes back to the inconsistency of what the officials consider a penalty.

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

I can stomach a loss to the Falcons.  They actually have a legit star QB and passing offense with a great head coach.  But the Bucs?  I literally have no respect for them whatsoever LOL With that said, next weekend is MUST WIN DO OR ☠️

Fitz is dangerous AF if he isn't told he is the starter.

We're just a couple breaks away from being 3-5, really. This is not a good team. An overall improved defense, but an offense that's truly regressed. What bothers me the most is the complete inability to adjust by our head coach AND our defensive coordinator, even when we end up winning, which is why the team has generally been bad in the second half and allows games that should be more comfortable wins to become nerve-wracking. 

Glad we're doing better in the division, and the home win against Dallas is a big gold star for the season already, but that just shows how low the bar is set. The injuries, once again, are devastating us. We need Crowder and a healthy CT back badly.

I'm worried about this weekend. Fitz has generally done well against us if memory serves, as has Mike Evans. 

Right now this season feels like the opposite of 2005. That season the division was mediocre, and the 'Skins won a bunch in a row to end the season.  2018, division is still mediocre (for now, Eagles might be getting right) the 'Skins put themselves in a decent position with the 5-2 start.  Schedule not tough on paper for rest of season.

Neither season featured a good team, but they were able to do just enough to be the team that outlasted the bad.

Archived