Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Falcons

KDawg

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

Ilbs should be brown and either josh harvey clemons or sdh. The foster experiment needs to be over.  

ive been thinking this as well. Brown and Foster are the same players. On pass downs, bring JHC in and leave both brown and foster on the bench. Foster and brown can still play together on 1st down and clear running downs.

1 hour ago, skinsfan834 said:

In the grand scheme of things this is a pretty minor complaint, but when was the last time we ever attempted some sort of trick play on offense?

We could have fun playing that game.. When's the last time we had a kickoff or punt return for over 10 yards? Someone said it in the GDT yesterday, we have punt/kickoff "catchers", not "returners" lol 

I could give a dozen reasons why we lost the game yesterday but i dont have the energy or motivation to do it. Yesterday's loss really took the wind out of my sails in a otherwise exciting & fun season. I was expecting a loss, even predicted it in one of the threads but i didn't think we would get blown out the way we did.

I realize there is half a season left but between the injury's , Alex Smith's ineptitude at the QB position,Dip**** Drop em Doctson, AP only going to show his age more as the season wears on, The possibility that as crazy as it sounds maybe Ha Ha Clinton Dix threw off the defensive chemistry in some way . Its all depressing, WOE IS ME! 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, GoDeep81 said:

We could have fun playing that game.. When's the last time we had a kickoff or punt return for over 10 yards? Someone said it in the GDT yesterday, we have punt/kickoff "catchers", not "returners" lol 

Gruden said in an interview this Friday that all kickoff returners are instructed to take a knee if they catch it in the end zone. Czabe asked if anyone had a green light, Gruden said no. Reason is with penalties and potential turn overs etc .. better in the long run to take the ball at the 25. I agree. If we had a prime time Hester, thats a different story.

-------------------------

Idea:

On 3rd and longs .. why cant we play 0 LBs, let Swearinger come down into the box and play HaHa and Nicholson as safeties?

We didn't get the early lead, couldn't run the ball & our D was pitiful. Obviously, in all our wins we did all three of those things, yesterday we did none & got thrashed. I understand the o-line injuries hurt us & penalties did too. But the bottom line is is that we got thumped because our D did not show. We cut the lead to 14-7 with three minutes to the half & what do we do? Let them come right down & score a TD with 30 seconds till half to make it 21-7. We all talk about Gruden & his lack of halftime adjustments, what about Manusky? After giving up that TD before half, we come out after the half & let them come right down & score another TD on the opening possession of the 2nd half to make it 28-7. Inexcusable coaching for a team that has a solid D.

This team always seems to no show after some success & to me it's a coaching issue. Everytime we look like we take a step or two forward, it's followed by a step or two backwards. We have talent on D and all our guys were out there playing- no real injuries aside from Dunbar in & out- and we got absolutely torched out there. This D, although not great, is good enough where they shouldn't get their butts kicked like that by anybody. Our coaches evidently have a hard time sustaining success & they will be our downfall once again this year.

I think we all know pretty much what we're going to get out of Gruden at this point & Manusky has been fired from his three previous DC jobs for a reason. I want to believe in Gruden & this staff- I really do. But the Skins roller coaster of good performance, awful performance is on these guys more than anything else, in my opinion.

Good:

Tress Way - The MVP of this game. Punting averaged 49 yards. 5 total punts, 4 downed inside the opponent 20 yard line. Zero yards returned

Mo Harris - Nice to see him get going with his stat line of 10 catches for 124 yards. Bad is he offered nothing after the catch but him having 10 catches was a nice surprise

Bad:

1. The entire defense - By far this was the worst showing of that side of the ball this season. Here's a stat for you if you don't get why they lost. Atlanta was 10 for 13 on third down. At one point the Falcons were successful on 9 straight third down plays. If your Defense is giving the opposing team 9 straight third down successful plays your going to lose. Here's another stat to reiterate why the Defense was the biggest reason they lost. The Defense gave up scoring drives of 81 yards, 86 yards, 75 yards, 75 yards, and 72 yards. That's beyond awful. And we have to wonder what the hell happened to the defensive line yesterday? They got very little pass rush, got shredded by the RB's, and completely were shut down. Most surprising thing of yesterday to me was how this happened? 

2. Penalties - The Redskins self destructed yesterday with penalties. They had 10 penalties for 147 yards lost. Undisciplined play on both sides of the ball. If your football teams getting penalized like this they will lose. Bank on it

3. Execution - The past three weeks showed the world how the Redskins could win. Run the ball, Don't turn the ball over, Play good Defense, Play smart. They didn't do any of this yesterday. They tried to run the ball. Peterson ran the ball 9 times on first down for a total of 5 yards. Awful execution. They didn't win the turnover battle. They didn't play good Defense. They didn't play smart. Execution was severely lacking on both the Offense and Defense. Do this and your football team is going to lose

4. Injuries - Even thinking that it's just one game and the seasons not lost, it very well maybe. Why? If the offensive line is as bad as I'm hearing 4 out of the starting 5 offensive linemen will miss a month or longer. That's not something any team can shake off mid season. Season maybe over now. 

5. Refs - Now the Redskins didn't lose this game because of the Refs but damn they sucked yesterday. Every NFL receiver spins the ball after a catch. When Doctson did it he was flagged. Then they missed holding calls, they missed pick plays, they missed dirty plays, they were terrible. 

6. Alex Smith - He wasn't awful yesterday but his day could have been much worse than it was. He could have had 3 INT's on the day, if Trufant hadn't dropped two of them that he had in his hands. He gets a bad grade for the game if for nothing more then his stupid ass decision when they were down 14 points and it was 3rd and three yards for a first down when he runs out of bounds for a negative 4 yard loss. He should have thrown the ball away and the team gone for it on 4th down. Instead they punted on 4th and 7 and the game was over

9 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

3. Execution - The past three weeks showed the world how the Redskins could win. Run the ball, Don't turn the ball over, Play good Defense, Play smart. They didn't do any of this yesterday. They tried to run the ball. Peterson ran the ball 9 times on first down for a total of 5 yards. Awful execution. They didn't win the turnover battle. They didn't play good Defense. They didn't play smart. Execution was severely lacking on both the Offense and Defense. Do this and your football team is going to lose

John McKay, coach of the early Bucs teams, said it best. When asked about his team's execution, McKay replied "I'm in favor of it."

I'm always shocked (don't know why at this point) at how badly we get outcoached on both sides of the ball.  Sitting in a soft cover 2 shell yesterday, watching Atlanta go up and down the field--no exotic blitzes, no jamming at the line/press coverage to throw off routes, just all the time in the world for Matt Ryan to sit back and throw wherever he wanted and not a single adjustment all game???  How do these "coaches" look at the tape and not get that?  Really, we have a ship of fools coaching this team.  I've had it with Gruden and the idiots he brings in on the defensive side of the ball.  Just sheer incompetence.  

11 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Bad:

1. The entire defense - By far this was the worst showing of that side of the ball this season. Here's a stat for you if you don't get why they lost. Atlanta was 10 for 13 on third down. At one point the Falcons were successful on 9 straight third down plays. If your Defense is giving the opposing team 9 straight third down successful plays your going to lose. Here's another stat to reiterate why the Defense was the biggest reason they lost. The Defense gave up scoring drives of 81 yards, 86 yards, 75 yards, 75 yards, and 72 yards. That's beyond awful. And we have to wonder what the hell happened to the defensive line yesterday? They got very little pass rush, got shredded by the RB's, and completely were shut down. Most surprising thing of yesterday to me was how this happened? 

2. Penalties - The Redskins self destructed yesterday with penalties. They had 10 penalties for 147 yards lost. Undisciplined play on both sides of the ball. If your football teams getting penalized like this they will lose. Bank on it

5. Refs - Now the Redskins didn't lose this game because of the Refs but damn they sucked yesterday. Every NFL receiver spins the ball after a catch. When Doctson did it he was flagged. Then they missed holding calls, they missed pick plays, they missed dirty plays, they were terrible. 

6. Alex Smith 

I couldn't believe how poorly the defense played.  Seemed like a completely different team.  I know Ryan is a good QB and he made some good throws, but we made that offense look way better than they should have.  Missing their two guards, just like we will be, and our stud defensive line didn't make them pay.  But I have a feeling Tampa's inferior defensive line will make us pay for injuries to starters.  

Penalties and refs kind of go hand and hand.  You can call holding on every play in the NFL if you wanted to.  The first half had so many ticky tack calls go against the Redskins it makes you wonder.

I didn't think Alex smith played as terrible as some are saying. Early drops stalled some drives. He is definitely not playing well enough to overcome that type of adversity.  He needs everyone else to do their job to be successful.  And I feel the longer it takes the offense to get going, the bigger the gray cloud hanging over them will become, and with a lot of negativity surrounding the Redskins in general, the pressure only mounts and makes it harder to be successful.  Now down to our jv line, it's gonna get even uglier.

Also, the runs on first down over and over again kill me.  I don't think it's just Alex, just jay, just the injuries, just the refs, just the lack of weapons in the passing game, but when you put it all together, we seem so far away from being successful on the offensive side of the ball that I don't see any chance we see a decent offense this year. 

Worth noting: I read a WP article that said in the last 80 years, Skins have never made the playoffs after getting blown out by 20+ in multiple games in a season. It'll be interesting to watch what happens over the next few weeks. If we don't beat the bucks, I could see the losses starting to snowball.

I don't know what it was about the Falcons players yesterday, but they really got on my ****ing nerves.  Like, even more so than punk ass Zeke and OBJ did in previous weeks, our actual division rivals.  All the jawing, trash talk, celebrating, dirty hits, getting away with penalties, etc...the Falcons annoyed the hell out of me for some reason.  Made the loss sting that much more. 

4 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Worth noting: I read a WP article that said in the last 80 years, Skins have never made the playoffs after getting blown out by 20+ in multiple games in a season. It'll be interesting to watch what happens over the next few weeks. If we don't beat the bucks, I could see the losses starting to snowball.

After hearing the news today I would say they likely end the season with two more wins and that streak stays alive

If we lose Scherff for the season along with Trent's injuries and the other OL injuries that's basically a death rattle for our run game. AP can make something out of nothing more often than most other backs but he isn't a sorcerer who can teleport. That means we're going to end up having to pass more. Which we suck at. Our defense is overall good but seems to ebb and flow and has some obvious holes that can be exploited as the Falcons did yesterday.

IMO we simply aren't good enough to beat really good teams, especially ones with potent offenses, because our run game CAN be good but with the OL injuries that's getting less and less likely, our passing offense is anemic at best and our defense is good but not elite. We're not going to win anything even resembling a shootout.

Yesterday was just a pretty bad game all around. Defense seemed far less aggressive so that could be a scheme issue but even when we DID blitz we rarely ever got anywhere...their OL was absolutely handling our guys. Our ILBs are liabilities, period. Our CBs are mediocre, and our edge rushers are decent but nothing special. Offense was the typical 2018 offense...predictable, poorly executed, bad play calling, with a QB who feels the rush and gets happy feet the second the ball is snapped. Even when he had plenty of time he was standing back there with his feet moving all over and looking panicked and double clutching over and over. 

I don't have much hope for Smith and Gruden and the receivers suddenly "clicking". It just doesn't seem to be happening. In fact each game in some ways looks worse than the one before. And for the love of god....Doctson is the most frustrating player to watch. He drops two easy catches that were right in his hands but then later makes a few great and difficult grabs. Should we just make every throw at the edge of his catch radius or something so he'll concentrate enough on it?

All in all this basically feels like an 8-8 team. Good enough defense to stifle non-high power offenses, sometimes good run game with an offense that is extremely conservative through the air and all about ball control but doesn't commit many turnovers. Basically we're decent/mediocre. Exactly like we have been the entire Gruden era. 

4 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Maybe it's not realistic? If we have season ending injuries at both guard spots, we can pretty much call this season over. If we can't run, we have no shot against anyone.

i dont know man.  ive seen this dog and pony show to many times to beleive that.  alex is a pile of **** when the running game works (well according to fans). when kc lost charles kcs game plan went from run run throw to charles, to alex putting up 45 in the play offs against the colts with a bunch of scrub receivers.

i know alex isnt a god, but i also know that when you release the reins that some **** seems to find another gear.  i understand all the doom and gloom.  maybe me and sandy are the only ones who know what to really expect.  keep your heads up skins fans.  alex is about to make you contenders! and then be traded the year before you make the super bowl.  its the alex smith way!

8 minutes ago, nor cal 11 said:

i dont know man.  ive seen this dog and pony show to many times to beleive that.  alex is a pile of **** when the running game works (well according to fans). when kc lost charles kcs game plan went from run run throw to charles, to alex putting up 45 in the play offs against the colts with a bunch of scrub receivers.

i know alex isnt a god, but i also know that when you release the reins that some **** seems to find another gear.  i understand all the doom and gloom.  maybe me and sandy are the only ones who know what to really expect.  keep your heads up skins fans.  alex is about to make you contenders! and then be traded the year before you make the super bowl.  its the alex smith way!

Stop it.

He can't hit the broadside of a barn right now. And, as much of a homer as both you guys are, and as much as I've actually watched Smith play. I also know what to expect. And your version is fantasy land.

Honestly, a slightly more efficient version of what we have seen so far is about the best we can hope for. He's not going to step up and carry this team. Not even close. He'll look like yesterday, without the pick.

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If we lose Scherff for the season along with Trent's injuries and the other OL injuries that's basically a death rattle for our run game. AP can make something out of nothing more often than most other backs but he isn't a sorcerer who can teleport. That means we're going to end up having to pass more. Which we suck at. Our defense is overall good but seems to ebb and flow and has some obvious holes that can be exploited as the Falcons did yesterday.

IMO we simply aren't good enough to beat really good teams, especially ones with potent offenses, because our run game CAN be good but with the OL injuries that's getting less and less likely, our passing offense is anemic at best and our defense is good but not elite. We're not going to win anything even resembling a shootout.

Yesterday was just a pretty bad game all around. Defense seemed far less aggressive so that could be a scheme issue but even when we DID blitz we rarely ever got anywhere...their OL was absolutely handling our guys. Our ILBs are liabilities, period. Our CBs are mediocre, and our edge rushers are decent but nothing special. Offense was the typical 2018 offense...predictable, poorly executed, bad play calling, with a QB who feels the rush and gets happy feet the second the ball is snapped. Even when he had plenty of time he was standing back there with his feet moving all over and looking panicked and double clutching over and over. 

I don't have much hope for Smith and Gruden and the receivers suddenly "clicking". It just doesn't seem to be happening. In fact each game in some ways looks worse than the one before. And for the love of god....Doctson is the most frustrating player to watch. He drops two easy catches that were right in his hands but then later makes a few great and difficult grabs. Should we just make every throw at the edge of his catch radius or something so he'll concentrate enough on it?

All in all this basically feels like an 8-8 team. Good enough defense to stifle non-high power offenses, sometimes good run game with an offense that is extremely conservative through the air and all about ball control but doesn't commit many turnovers. Basically we're decent/mediocre. Exactly like we have been the entire Gruden era. 

Scherff, Lauvao and Richadson are gone for the year.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Until yesterday we were 2-0-1 since 2015 in games where we had 10+ penalties...

11 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Scherff, Lauvao and Richadson are gone for the year.

You're not gonna give me a break hey! I don't even have the time to post it in BHRBN that you're already spreading the world all over the place...

Well, now it's all over BHRBN as almost everyone has posted an article about it. (Which made it 8 or 9 articles at once...)

7 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

You're not gonna give me a break hey! I don't even have the time to post it in BHRBN that you're already spreading the world all over the place...

Well, now it's all over BHRBN as almost everyone has posted an article about it. (Which made it 8 or 9 articles at once...)

Sorry WB! It was all over the injury thread, so I figured it was common knowledge for the most part.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Sorry WB! It was all over the injury thread, so I figured it was common knowledge for the most part.

It's ok. I saw it and was waiting for some articles as I knew it would be all over the place before posting them.

Was just teasing you... Or Baiting maybe oh wait...

nflyellowflag.jpg

Damn... 15 yards on me.. that's tough!

Archived