Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Can We Get Out of the Alex Smith Contract???

Renegade7

22 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If what they are saying about Lauvao's ACL and Scherff's pectorial is true, it's going to get worse and I'm not sure any QB in the league would be successful under those conditions.  We're right back where we were last year folks.

It will most likely neuter the running game we did have so we will be left with absolutely nothing on offense.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, they thought the team was already the tits and Alex was an “upgrade” at the position.  

I dont think that's what it was.  They thought they could get equivalent play at about 50% of the cost.  I dont think they necessarily thought they were getting a better QB.  They didnt think the difference justified the premium Kirk was gonna command.  Smith's cap hit is 6, 8, and 12 mil less than Kirk's is in Minn the next 3 years.

I'm not saying Alex Smith is Brady or Rodgers, but he played alright today.  I'd say this was one of his better games thus far.  The receivers dropping like 4-5 balls didn't help him out at all.  The o-line being battered to **** didn't help him out at all either.  AP having another mediocore game didn't help him out at all.  He had some nice passes that were in spots that they needed to be.  He also had some really bad balls though and they were lucky to only have 1 INT today.

I'm curious what made you start this thread today instead of the previous weeks though.  The defense is what was the complete mind **** today.  WTF happened to them?

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

So then you do see him as some sort of above average placeholder then, that's fine but at the same time you have to understand the frustration towards him when we have to play almost perfect defense and be extremely effective in the run game to win and I don't remember that being the narrative when we signed him.

Once again I'm not putting today's loss on him, that would be unfair but don't we deserve better for the contract we gave him?

I absolutely think we need more from Alex Smith. I don’t think that involves crazy ideas like Colt McCoy is the answer or signing free agent players like Sam Bradford. Those options are worse to me. So is the premise that cutting him is a good answer. That’s not why they brought him in. He is a bridge to the next QB.

Cutting him 8 games in and declaring that this is a failure is premature imo. That not only hurts the salary cap now and future they don’t have an answer yet on the team. They need playmakers.

If done right in the draft they are setup for the future. If some knee jerk reaction to this game today which was lost in all phases of the game is to make an example of one guy it’s not a move I support. Alex didn’t lose this game alone. Penalties, being out played, and not having answers for the three good receivers did them in. He wasn’t good but no one was today. Well Mo Harris was better then expected but this was a combined failure all around 

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I'm not saying Alex Smith is Brady or Rodgers, but he played alright today. 

He did nothing that could've helped us win this game.  Example...Richardson sits in a soft spot in the Falcons zone, expecting the ball.  Smith's throw is so inaccurate, Richardson has to dive for the ball, killing any chance of YAC.  The defense didn't play well, but it's the same story week after week with the offense.  If we are down more than 7 points, the game's over.  He threw 46 passes...of those 5 were at or behind the line of scrimmage, 24 were between 0-10 yards, 12 were between 10-20 yards, and 3 were beyond 20 yards.

pass-chart_SMI031126_2018-reg-9_15413740

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

Getting out of the Alex Smith contract?  How are they supposed to get out of it?  What should Dan Snyder to do call up the fraud and bunko squad and complain that Andy Reid skinned him again?

It might take an Osweiler type of trade.  Skins give up a second rounder for someone to take on his contract.

3 hours ago, samy316 said:

Jay Gruden is an OFFENSIVE coordinator at heart, and it must kill him each week to see how inept and clueless we are on the offensive side of the ball.

Jay Grudens offense took a step backwards last season

2016 Jay led the team to the number 5 offensive ranking for DVOA

2017 Jay led the team to the number 20 offensive ranking for DVOA

this has been going on for longer then just this season. now it is ranked 21 in offensive DVOA

That isn’t a QB problem specific to Alex Smith. That’s a trend. Look deeper. Jay shouldn’t be calling plays and they need to find another McVay which is much easier said then done. I don’t think he’s getting the job done like McVay was in 2015-2016. That’s a big time problem that Jay can’t avoid. Two different QBs both bad results. 

26 minutes ago, Nerm said:

It might take an Osweiler type of trade.  Skins give up a second rounder for someone to take on his contract.

This is a horrible idea.

Aaron Rogers behind that line with those receivers wouldn’t have been able to overcome 38 points given up by the defense. If they did that I would honestly think they have no clue.

This plan is not just for this year.

Had they paid Kirk instead of Alex I think the only difference right now would be that us viewers think that when they are down 20 points there is a possibility that the game wasn’t over. Not that a win was in store but the team wouldn’t be defeated. 

Downside from that is the team would have been saddled with a much higher contract which extends to every player on the team decision. 

Upside with Alex is that the team already beat more NFC East teams then they did last season, he is cheaper, and we are expecting more.

Today the crowd was pumped up. We all thought they would win today. It didn’t happen and it’s disappointing. It’s one game.

This teams at the halfway mark and on top of the division. That probably ends this week but that’s partly to do with the line injuries but maybe not. We won every game after a loss and Tampa isn’t unwinnable. I think they may show more next week. Either way giving up a second round pick to a team in the offseason to get rid of Alex would be incredible and hurt the franchise for the next four years

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

And plenty of excuses for Gruden and Allen to trot out, too. Great.

Probably. And the astounding part is that Williams and Lauvao have both been have trouble staying healthy in recent years. And they are getting older. 

Only the Redskins could employ a GM who gambles on injury prone players becoming more healthy in their 30s and when that gamble doesn't pay off, we have every reason to think that GM will be rewarded for it.

16 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That would also be typical Redskins. When needing a rebuild trading away a premium draft pick for a year of salary cap relief.

No, no, no.

Typical Redskins would be trading a rising star, and a 3rd round pick for a aging, over rated QB that 8 games into the season has been terrible, and the only way to get out of his albatross like contract is to trade him and a couple of premium picks for salary cap relief. We go BIG, baby!

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

No, no, no.

Typical Redskins would be trading a rising star, and a 3rd round pick for a aging, over rated QB that 8 games into the season has been terrible, and the only way to get out of his albatross like contract is to trade him and a couple of premium picks for salary cap relief. We go BIG, baby!

Oh, that's crazy talk. We'd never be so silly

28 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That would also be typical Redskins. When needing a rebuild trading away a premium draft pick for a year of salary cap relief.

It would be an interesting irony if they traded the comp pick from Cousins leaving to get rid of Smith's contract.  It would be so fitting.

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Jay Grudens offense took a step backwards last season

2016 Jay led the team to the number 5 offensive ranking for DVOA

2017 Jay led the team to the number 20 offensive ranking for DVOA

this has been going on for longer then just this season. now it is ranked 21 in offensive DVOA

That isn’t a QB problem specific to Alex Smith. That’s a trend. Look deeper. Jay shouldn’t be calling plays and they need to find another McVay which is much easier said then done. I don’t think he’s getting the job done like McVay was in 2015-2016. That’s a big time problem that Jay can’t avoid. Two different QBs both bad results. 

McVay won't save Alex Smith. The fact that you gloss over the loss of Garcon and DJax, the 28 different offensive line combinations and no AP in 2017 tells me everything I need to know.

12 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

<EDITED OUT, THANKS>. Colt is the same QB as Smith at this point. He does NOTHING to win you games. NOTHING.

Can’t do this here (you’ve received a warning for rule 5, being disrespectful to your fellow members), this isn’t that type of board. Please edit this out immediately. 

———————-

Something else I wanted to address. 

@bobandweave I’ve already been through this with you in the past, among others. And this’ll be a reminder for everyone else, as well, as you’re certainly not the only one to do it.

You don’t get to allude to Kirk in your first couple of posts in this thread, then specifically mention the “previous QB” in your third post here, and then tell others when they respond to “not make it about Kirk” or to “move on”. If you’re going to bring him up, expect others to counter. If you don’t like it, don’t bring him up yourself.

I mean, this shouldn’t be hard yet we continually get the same group of people who have no issue bringing him up in one context (and/or obsessively “liking” every post in that context), but in another context wanting everyone to “stop bringing him up” or just “move on”. There are degrees of hypocrisy we’re willing to tolerate from you folks (and, believe me, we see mountains of it), but when it transgresses the bounds of what the purpose of this board is (discussion about the Skins which, yes, does include how they handled the QB position), it’s unacceptable. Let us mods handle what people can discuss or not. 

As @Jumbo has already stated, we may come to the conclusion that it’s simply not worth the trouble dealing with this and that NO Kirk discussion will be allowed in the Stadium (this particular issue being a big reason for that), but until we do that no one should be telling others to stop posting about this or that or what they can or can’t discuss, especially when they themselves bring that topic up when it suits them. 

All I know is that we are 27th in the NFL in scoring. Only NYG, JAX, BUF, ARI, and Cleveland are worse. 

Compared to last year, we have basically the same receivers, a better RB, a much better defense, and before today, an overall healthier team. Yet through all that, we have tanked in offensive efficiency and can't score any goddamn points. Why? What's changed? 

Alex Smith. 

Dude better start playing better or get his ass sat in the bench. You know Gruden isn't happy. Hell, he thought Kirk was too conservative. 

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

No, no, no.

Fuller got off to a slow start but sounds like he's starting to heat up.

11 hours ago, Springfield said:

This is depressing.  Instead of paying a proven QB ~$29 million a year for 3 years, we are paying this cluster**** ~$24 million for 5.

Unless Kirk Cousins pulls a Rae Caruth I will never waiver from this position. They had a good if flawed QB, they threw him out for a chicken **** QB who is now showing his age, and it's not like we didn't see this coming when the trade was announced. Then of course they have little chance of finding a QB better than Kirk in the draft.

It's hopeless, I've come to grips with this reality.

Archived