Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Can We Get Out of the Alex Smith Contract???

Renegade7

20 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I suggest the Skins use their first and second round picks to improve the OL and plan on having Smith for a couple more years and stop whining they are 5-3.  Smith may not be good but he is our guy for a couple of more seasons, whining about it doesn't help.

Whining about it doesn't solve anything, I agree.  But people have the right to be frustrated because the way his contract was structured, which is not team friendly until after year 3, not to mention he's 34 years old.  And we gave up Fuller and a 3rd round pick.  

Kirk was gone, regardless and Smith (at the time at least) the next best option to back-fill the position, so I'm not angry that we traded for him.  The only thing I'm not happy about is that he's the starting QB (baring no injury) for the rest of this season and next two, because cutting him would be stupid, same with benching him and nobody is going to trade for that contract for a 34 yo QB.

All we can hope for is to hit on most of our draft picks and start rebuilding the o-line and try and snag some better WR talent.  Oh and that Dan gets herpes cause why not?

Here is a rule of thumb about the cap:  Every dollar you give a player will count against your cap eventually.

Alex Smith's $27 million dollar signing bonus was already paid out, so we must take $27M worth of cap hit from it. $5.4M of the hit was taken this year, leaving $21.6M.  We can spread it out to $5.4M per year over the next four years.  Or we could cut him tomorrow and take the entire $21.6M in 2019.  Or we can do something in between.

But no matter what we do, that is $27M less cap space we have available to pay other players.

2 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Here is a rule of thumb about the cap:  Every dollar you give a player will count against your cap eventually.

Alex Smith's $27 million dollar signing bonus was already paid out, so we must take $27M worth of cap hit from it. $5.4M of the hit was taken this year, leaving $21.6M.  We can spread it out to $5.4M per year over the next four years.  Or we could cut him tomorrow and take the entire $21.6M in 2019.  Or we can do something in between.

But no matter what we do, that is $27M less cap space we have available to pay other players.

Good post. 

I'm not proposing we move on, but we will pay that $27M with or without Smith (obviously). So, to me, the decision comes down to what we believe:

1) Are we better paying Smith and playing Smith

2) Are we better paying Smith as a backup and playing a cheaper, younger option

PS: Someone suggested that because it's common for teams to take dead cap hits for cutting a player, that somehow we shouldn't count the dead cap hit in 2021 if Alex gets cuts after 2020.  That's nonsense, of course.  Cap hits matter regardless of what year you take them in.

4 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm not proposing we move on, but we will pay that $27M with or without Smith (obviously). So, to me, the decision comes down to what we believe:

1) Are we better paying Smith and playing Smith

2) Are we better paying Smith as a backup and playing a cheaper, younger option

3) Will it make Bruce Allen look bad if we cut our losses with Alex after only one or two years?

1 minute ago, Tsailand said:

3) Will it make Bruce Allen look bad if we cut our losses with Alex after only one or two years?

Cut our losses?

I think he'll be on the roster...and I would always look at it as a positional salary, not just an individual player's salary. So, if Smith costs $20M and a rookie next year costs $1M, then you're paying $21M for the QB position. At that point, who gives a **** (salary cap-wise) which guy starts and which guy backs up?

2 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Someone I know was horse-laughed for even suggesting we roll with Colt.

At this point, I'm not sure it matters, I posted that when we had an offensive line but all bets are off now.

We can act as if this situation is salvageable but it isn't.

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Cut our losses?

I think he'll be on the roster...and I would always look at it as a positional salary, not just an individual player's salary. So, if Smith costs $20M and a rookie next year costs $1M, then you're paying $21M for the QB position. At that point, who gives a **** (salary cap-wise) which guy starts and which guy backs up?

We can sit him on the bench and use it as leverage to get his agent active in finding a trade partner.

That method is a bit grimy but he's terrible so I won't lose any sleep.

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

We can sit him on the bench and use it as leverage to get his agent active in finding a trade partner.

That method is a bit grimy but he's terrible so I won't lose any sleep.

I wouldn't even bother...but sure we could try to trade him somewhere. I don't mind having him as a backup QB after this season if we somehow identify a better option on a rookie deal. Who really cares since we are paying him either way? 

One thing I don't believe is the answer - Colt McCoy. I would have been OK not making the trade and rolling with Colt under one scenario: drafting a QB of the future. In that scenario, playing the cheap vet who knows the offense made sense. Then, he either succeeds and keeps the kid on the bench for a season or struggles and eventually we turn over the reins. But I don't see any reason to play a lesser QB who is virtually the same age as Smith. 

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

How much does kap want....

Could you imagine the storylines if Kaep replaced Smith again and took another team deep into the playoffs hahaha

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

His 2019 salary is also guaranteed.

Not only that, but his 2020 salary of $16M becomes guaranteed in March 2019. If we cut him before then, we will have paid Alex Smith $55M for just one year of QB play.  That would be enough to get Bruce fired, I think.

But if we keep Smith in 2019, then we might as well keep him in 2020, meaning $71M for three years, or $24M/year. That is more reasonable for a QB, but 48 games of Alex Smith at starter will get both Bruce and Jay fired.

Completely tone deaf.  This is a team sport.  If the team loses a game, there should be no game MVP.

And this has nothing to do with Alex.  If Hopkins kicks nine field goals next week, but we lose 28-27, then he's not the MVP, because there is no MVP.

*sigh* Alex Smith is absolute trash...  I don't care what anyone on here says to defend him, if you really think that guys even a top 20 qb in the league you need to get your head checked.  I remember I wrote 2 letters to the skins FO the past 2 years to please just sign Kirk and stop pretending like we can do better when we haven't had a QB in 30 years.  But, nope.....  Im sure some of you will be like "DUDE WTF KIRK WOULD JUST THROW INTS AND COST US GAMES"

Baloney.  Kirk will throw more picks, but we have NO SHOT at keeping up with a good offense right now..   If you score 21 on us, we lose..  Its a JOKE.  Stop wearing blinders fellas.

Archived