Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Can We Get Out of the Alex Smith Contract???

Renegade7

7 minutes ago, megared said:

I always felt like cheap success at this point of our roster’s development could set us back long term in getting talent that can help us.  We make the playoffs, we’re out of the running for drafting a franchise QB without giving up assets.  And we have plenty of needs for those assets...online, lbs, wr, etc.  I don’t trust this organization to be able to develop a late 1st round QB.  

And then then instead of us moving on from players that are too expensive, we are more likely to round the gang up for another run, because we were “so close”.  We really need to be looking at our expensive contracts and assessing how those players fit into our future with the understanding that we arent yet close to being a complete team. 

Nah, disagree with that considering defense especially.  I'll say if they can put a crew like that together, its not impossible for them to figure out who to draft at QB.  I'd be fine sacrificing to trade up for right player, but I need to see the board to confirm if that's necessary.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Nah, disagree with that considering defense especially.  I'll say if they can put a crew like that together, its not impossible for them to figure out who to draft at QB.  I'd be fine sacrificing to trade up for right player, but I need to see the board to confirm if that's necessary.

I just don’t trust it with the current setup. I think it’d be great long term if we had a bottoming out moment, where there’s no question who the prospect is, and we are in an organic spot to grab him.  I don’t see that happening with a QB that is just good enough to prevent that from occurring.  Don’t see that happening with a FO, and head coach fighting for their jobs.  

I don’t want to trade three first rounders to move from twenty-ish to top 3.  

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

You don't bring in a 34 year old QB and pay him 71 million guaranteed for a rebuild.

You do that when you think you can win now.

That's my understanding from the franchise as well, this isn't a rebuild, all we did was change QBs for the most part.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Who would be stupid enough to trade for Smith at this point? I can't think of a team that bad off?

The Jets, Bills, Browns, and Cards all have rookies that have at least shown a little.

The Giants have Eli, and are going to be looking for a young player.

I don't think John is going to do Jay a favor.

Maybe Jacksonville? Are they that stupid?

Denver?

So, what do we even try and get for him? a 7th? In 2020?

Maybe we could trade him and a second rounder for a seventh rounder

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

The dead cap would be $42M pre-June 1 and $21.75M post-June 1 and then we will get hit with another $20M in dead cap in 2020, a trade is the best way out, even if we get nothing more than cap relief out of it.

I had no problem with the FO moving on from Kirk but they made a bad situation worse by doubling down and paying Alex all this money.

The problem with all this is that nobody has the balls to admit they were wrong and cut bait this early, and maybe that wouldn't be a good decision but my biggest worry about this team was losing opportunities to win games because we are so limited on offense.

I would rather have Bradford or Colt in there over Smith and that's not based on today's game, just my overall disappointment over the 8 games we've played.

Like fishing with a hook with no bait on it.

I'm not fond of Bradford at all, he could be stared at and go on IR. The true definition of fragile, and with the o-line being banged up, he wouldn't last a half.

Colt, sure, why not; reality is Smith is done. At best he's a capable back-up, but this team isn't gonna win by his arm and that's been proven over and over.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

ironically hoffman just addressed the subject of Bruce on twitter

As I figured, Bruce would pay for this more likely because it was his idea to take Kirk from Jay and give him Alex, essentially ruining our passing offense that was one of the best in the NFL not even three years ago.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, they thought the team was already the tits and Alex was an “upgrade” at the position.  

I think this is the most interesting subplot behind the scenes.  Clearly, Alex has been sold as an upgrade.  That's what was said publicly a little and also privately to beat reporters who shared what they heard.  Even Bruce's pal, Polian was selling that rap on NFL live.  So if it keeps going like this, wondering what Dan ends up thinking?  

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think this is the most interesting subplot behind the scenes.  Clearly, Alex has been sold as an upgrade.  That's what was said publicly a little and also privately to beat reporters who shared what they heard.  Even Bruce's pal, Polian was selling that rap on NFL live.  So if it keeps going like this, wondering what Dan ends up thinking?  

I hope he ends up thinking that Bruce needs to look for a job.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

As I figured, Bruce would pay for this more likely because it was his idea to take Kirk from Jay and give him Alex, essentially ruining our passing offense that was one of the best in the NFL not even three years ago.

They let Kirk go.  Replaced him with Alex.  Let Desean go and Garcon - Jay supposedly from a few accounts including Desean himself wanted Desean to stay -- and we had Bruce extol all the production they got back with the Pryor signing and the Quick signing.  And we got same old same old at LG and depth on the interior -- if anything it was weakened a little.   So the FO and Bruce had their hands in the demise of the passing game.

I recall the mantra on the Kirk thread from his critics was it was all about Jay's system and anyone could throw 4000 yards and be prolific with it.  Apparently some in the FO saw it the same way because Doug more or less said the same thing in the off season.    Well, its looking like talent might just supersede the "system". 

5 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Maybe we could trade him and a second rounder for a seventh rounder

Nobody is going to take him at the salary we signed up for.  There were MAYBE 3-4 teams that wanted him this offseason, and 2-3 of those teams had no intentions of signing him up long term. 

But Bruce wanting to “win”, offered him a contract and assurances no one else would, as well as assets no other team would’ve offered.  

So we’re stuck...unless Bruce decides to eat a $20.4 M cap hit for 2019 and admit he was wrong...assuming this isn’t enough to get him fired.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No, they thought the team was already the tits and Alex was an “upgrade” at the position.  

I was about as delusional about Smith as anyone but even I just saw his a lateral move at best.

I wanna say I can’t believe they would be that stupid but I totally can. 

13 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

You don't bring in a 34 year old QB and pay him 71 million guaranteed for a rebuild.

You do that when you think you can win now.

If they really thought they were ready to win now and still got rid of Kirk ****ing Cousins for Alex Smith then I might as well stop being a fan. Seriously. 

Gawd damn

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Well, its looking like talent might just supersede the "system". 

You can't compete without talent.  They never replaced DeSean and Pierre then let Kirk leave, too.  It all adds up, give Jay talent again, I know he can have a passing game like he did in 2015 again.  I doubt Jay had much of any say on the Alex trade, its all known and clear he couldn't stop Bruce from letting DJax and Garcon go.

5 minutes ago, megared said:

Nobody is going to take him at the salary we signed up for.  There were MAYBE 3-4 teams that wanted him this offseason, and 2-3 of those teams had no intentions of signing him up long term. 

But Bruce wanting to “win”, offered him a contract and assurances no one else would, as well as assets no other team would’ve offered.  

So we’re stuck...unless Bruce decides to eat a $20.4 M cap hit for 2019 and admit he was wrong...assuming this isn’t enough to get him fired.

This point made the think that lets say Alex keeps playing like this.  I could see a new staff especially FO making the move to eat the 20.4 M.   But if Bruce stays I'd say no way it happens, it would be admitting one heck of a mistake coupled with the backdrop of the Kirk contract screw ups.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You can't compete without talent.  They never replaced DeSean and Pierre then let Kirk leave, too.  It all adds up, give Jay talent again, I know he can have a passing game like he did in 2015 again.  I doubt Jay had much of any say on the Alex trade, its all known and clear he couldn't stop Bruce from letting DJax and Garcon go.

Agree.  Talent supersedes all.  As for Alex, I am hoping he improves.  So I am talking hypothetical if it keeps going down this road versus he improves.  As for the receivers, they need a true #1 big time. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I was about as delusional about Smith as anyone but even I just saw his a lateral move at best.

I wanna say I can’t believe they would be that stupid but I totally can. 

If they really thought they were ready to win now and still got rid of Kirk ****ing Cousins for Alex Smith then I might as well stop being a fan. Seriously. 

Gawd damn

Think about it. The only time you bring in a old QB is when you either already have, or plan to draft a high first round QB to mentor him for a season.

That's it.

And you sure don't throw at him the kind of money we did. AS has the 8th highest contract in the NFL. You absolutely don't do that for a guy you expect to "placeholder". You do that for a guy that you think can get you over the hump.

Archived