Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Can We Get Out of the Alex Smith Contract???

Renegade7

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Alex Smith is not winning any games.  He’s simply not losing some.  Any time the opponent scores first the game is over.  He’s not coming from behind to ACTUALLY win a game.  I don’t think we’ve won a game where our opponent scored first this season.

You are also correct, the teams not won any games they trailed. Didn’t stop them from winning 5 out of 8 games this year either. Alex Smith has never been a fantasy relevant QB and he won’t be one this year.

He will be a game manager who coaches can trust that if they do what they are supposed to do they will win more then lose. That’s what NFL teams want hence why Alex Smith had so much interest before the Redskins got him. It’s not the way that some of you want to win but Alex gives them a chance every game and will win more then he loses

3 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Your wrong about that.

Been saying this all year and will repeat myself. There are three major reasons for the team turn around this year from last season

1. They are containing the opposing RB better this year then last season

2. They are running the ball better this year then they did last season

3. The QB is not turning the ball over this year like the QB did last season

Saying Alex is not responsible for the last point is wrong.

To your question that doesn’t matter. The formula for winning with this team is not with the arm of this QB. The formula is limit turnovers, defend the rusher, rush the ball. If they do those things they can and will win. When they don’t do those things they will lose

1.  DEFENSE

2.  AD

3.  CHECK DOWNS b/c the QB is afraid to take chances.  It's dink and dunk.

So, again...this team is winning NOT because of anything Alex Smith is doing.  Why give up an asset and a draft pick for THIS quarterback?  You can easily get the same type of production from Sam Bradford, Bridgewater, etc.  It was a moronic trade for a guy coming off an anomaly of a season.  Andy Reid, once again, pulled a fast one on the Redskins. 

Unless something DRASTICALLY changes, it would be in the Redskins best interests to part ways with Smith.  In a league where passing offense has never been more explosive, we're trending in the wrong direction. 

If AD ain't going, this team aint doing jack.  What's that say about the QB? 

6 minutes ago, max21 said:

Jesus people, we are 5-3. We didn’t lose the game today because of Alex Smith. 

1 minute ago, bobandweave said:

96C9662F-098C-49EF-96E1-77B329614BCA.jpeg

You're both missing the point: this was the 30th ranked defense in the NFL and we only scored 14 points at home.  We knew we'd likely need points, couldn't get that.  We didn't lose in a shotout, we lost in a blowout.  He's making too much for his level of inaccuracy and lack of production, the sooner we can devote resources elsewhere and get similar play for cheaper, the better.  

But this isn't about "show we?", the thread is about "could we?"  Please don't hijack my thread.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ah, my favorite “you people don’t understand” condescending dung about  winning and ball control.  

The overwhelming majority from all walks (Pro-Kirk, AntiKirk, couldn’t care less about Kirk, Homers, pessimists, you name it) are engaging in discussion about how Alex stinks and finding loopholes to get out of the contract. We’re all dummies and don’t know what we’re seeing. Mmmmkay.

Its the same way it was with Jason Campbell.  The Campbell apologists on this very board weren’t blaming Campbell for the check downs, the lack of passing TD’s.  Oh Clinton Portis can control the ball.

**** that, you don’t win in today’s nfl scoring less than 30 points a game and Alex ****ing Smith can’t do it.  He checks he ball down and on third down he’d rather throw the ball away instead of risking something to pick up a first.  This team is the exact same as it was with Jason Candle.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. I think we are stuck with Alex at least through 2020. 

If I'm reading the chart right, we can get out with a $20.4 M dead cap hit before the 5th day of the 2019 NFL season.  After that, we're stuck with him through the 2020 season.  

4 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

You are also correct, the teams not won any games they trailed. Didn’t stop them from winning 5 out of 8 games this year either. Alex Smith has never been a fantasy relevant QB and he won’t be one this year.

He will be a game manager who coaches can trust that if they do what they are supposed to do they will win more then lose. That’s what NFL teams want hence why Alex Smith had so much interest before the Redskins got him. It’s not the way that some of you want to win but Alex gives them a chance every game and will win more then he loses

Game managers don’t win Super Bowls.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Ah, my favorite “you people don’t understand” condescending dung about  winning and ball control.  

The overwhelming majority from all walks (Pro-Kirk, AntiKirk, couldn’t care less about Kirk, Homers, pessimists, you name it) are engaging in discussion about how Alex stinks and finding loopholes to get out of the contract. We’re all dummies and don’t know what we’re seeing. Sure.

The best possible option is a trade but I think we’d have to eat some money.  What’s most likely to happen, we draft a guy and groom him while Alex starts and sputters the offense halfway through next season and we pay him a lot of money to be a backup for 1.5 seasons and cut bait after 2020.

Pretty much exactly what my dad just said.

There's really no way I can hold this thread back from being a "should we thread", I'm going to avoid it best I can because there's already an Alex thread and this conversation is going to be all over the board in different threads for the next week at least.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

You're both missing the point: this was the 30th ranked defense in the NFL and we only scored 14 points at home.  We knew we'd likely need points, couldn't get that.  We didn't lose in a shotout, we lost in a blowout.  He's making too much for his level of inaccuracy and lack of production, the sooner we can devote resources elsewhere and get similar play for cheaper, the better.  

But this isn't about "show we?", the thread is about "could we?"  Please don't hijack my thread.

a 30th ranked defense didn't play a top 5 offensive line today.  We lost Scherff, Moses, Lavavuo and Trent.  You really think we are going to score 30+ without anyone of those guys

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The overwhelming majority from all walks (Pro-Kirk, AntiKirk, couldn’t care less about Kirk, Homers, pessimists, you name it) are engaging in discussion about how Alex stinks and finding loopholes to get out of the contract. We’re all dummies and don’t know what we’re seeing. Mmmmkay.

Glad to see that the point I made that no matter what changes that come to the NFL the one constant that is still the biggest indicator of a win is the turn over margin.

That which you dismiss and brush off is the problem with the argument against Alex. Over 80% of the time if a team wins the turnover battle they win the football game. 

Was the same in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and this decade.

But let’s ignore that fact since you think mentioning it is condescending and everyone should be in line to light Alex Smith on fire today ? 

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Game managers don’t win Super Bowls.

Tend to disagree with that. Peyton Manning was a game manager when he won his last Super Bowl and there are others I could mention. 

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Glad to see that the point I made that no matter what changes that come to the NFL the one constant that is still the biggest indicator of a win is the turn over margin.

That which you dismiss and brush off is the problem with the argument against Alex. Over 80% of the time if a team wins the turnover battle they win the football game. 

But let’s ignore that fact since you think mentioning it is condescending and everyone should be in line to light Alex Smith on fire today ? 

And the point you're not getting is that when the defense isn't at it's best, do we have a QB capable of helping to put points up on the board?  The answer is NO. 

13 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I think everyone agrees on what he is but can you admit the ceiling is very low when that's your M.O?

One of the K.C. trolls posted this in the Alex thread.

"Alex Smith is 9-43-1 when opposing teams score 24+"

That's terrible, especially in today's  NFL where it's getting very difficult to play lights out D week to week, the league is doing everything they can to create more offense and make it harder to play defense.

Paying that kind of money for a game manager/placeholder QB is just nuts.

I'm not down on Alex because of today, today's game was a defensive failure along with penalties but what about going forward.  What happens when we get some WR's and are ready to be an attacking style offense, do we just continue letting Alex manage us to being just above average?

Just now, skinfan2k said:

a 30th ranked defense didn't play a top 5 offensive line today.  We lost Scherff, Moses, Lavavuo and Trent.  You really think we are going to score 30+ without anyone of those guys

More then 14, yes, and we had a drive or two where Jay figured something that was working and Alex started hitting it.  Otherwise, Alex was inaccurate again and missing his receivers, its killing the passing game more then anything else.  There's no play call for that, you can't coach that up at 34.  He's regressing, its going to get worse before it gets better far as I can tell.

This is about Alex Smith individually and specifically.  I am sick of him as the starting QB, he shouldn't be starting, we will never have the downfield passing game we need if he keeps playing like this, he's playing badly regardless of what's going on around him from one play to the next.

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

**** that, you don’t win in today’s nfl scoring less than 30 points a game and Alex ****ing Smith can’t do it.  He checks he ball down and on third down he’d rather throw the ball away instead of risking something to pick up a first.  This team is the exact same as it was with Jason Candle.

I think you forget that they have won 5 of a possible 8 games this year and didn’t score 30 points in any of those wins. 

Oh and from the past two weeks 12 winners from the past 25 games didn’t score 30 points in those wins. It’s factually incorrect to say a team must score 30 points to win a game in this league

7 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

The line to light Alex Smith on fire has been at full capacity well before today.  I actually thought he had a better game today than most.  Still nowhere near good enough.

That said, it’s a bit easier to have a great turnover margin when you don’t drop back to throw near as often because you can run the ball.  Its safe to say the blueprint is out there, stuff the box, stop AP and make Alex Smith beat you.  There is a long list of QBs we can ask to not throw the ball much and make safe throws.

2 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I think you forget that they have won 5 of a possible 8 games this year and didn’t score 30 points in any of those wins. 

Oh and from the past two weeks 12 winners from the past 25 games didn’t score 30 points in those wins. It’s factually incorrect to say a team must score 30 points to win a game in this league

Um.. have you seen the final scores of some of these teams that are definetly going to the playoffs this year?  Saints Rams game just ended 45-35, easily the two best teams in the conference.  Saying we're 5-3 is missing the point, we won't stand a chance in the playoffs with this passing offense.  I get if the goal is to make the most of this season right now, this isn't about getting rid of Smith right now, its to last to cut or trade him this regular season.  This offseason and going forward, the conversation has to be had, **** this ****.

You don’t hesitate. You fire Bruce Allen now and cut Alex Smith immediately. You take the hit now because at least you’ll get better sooner. We’re not winning the Super Bowl this year. The “maybe we can make the playoffs” bull**** is a waste of time. We should expect better. “The future is now.”

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

And the point you're not getting is that when the defense isn't at it's best, do we have a QB capable of helping to put points up on the board?  The answer is NO. 

Its time to admit that you simply don’t understand what this team is. This is not a team like the Falcons or Chiefs with stud players on the offense.

They are lacking at the receiver position big time. None of the receivers on this team would be getting snaps on those teams. That’s not on Alex, that’s on the front office. Yet without good receivers today they have a 5-3 record.

If your thinking that Alex can become Tom Brady who leads offenses with scrubs to high point outputs that is a wrong perseption of this QB. That’s not who Alex is. Doesn’t stop him from winning more games then he loses. Gotta run, fun debating with you guys. Peace out and HTTR!!

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

In fairness he only has 8 games in this system so I would expect him to get a little better at least. 

13 minutes ago, megared said:

If I'm reading the chart right, we can get out with a $20.4 M dead cap hit before the 5th day of the 2019 NFL season.  After that, we're stuck with him through the 2020 season.  

I could be wrong but I dont see any team taking a 20 million cap hit to cut a guy. Smith is going to be here through 2020 IMO. Now that doesnt mean he will necessarily be our starter through that period. The beauty of the draft is that you can get your starter relatively cheaply for 5 years. 

25 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

To your question that doesn’t matter. The formula for winning with this team is not with the arm of this QB. The formula is limit turnovers, defend the rusher, rush the ball. If they do those things they can and will win. When they don’t do those things they will lose

So in other words, were paying the guy 24 mil a year to hand off the football? Or pass it 5-7 yards, which is about the same thing.. ?

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

In fairness he only has 8 games in this system so I would expect him to get a little better at least. 

That begs the question:  How much of the inaccuracies and lack of deep throws due to learning the system?  I'm at a point that I'm concerned because of his age that whatever he gains from being in the system longer will be lost in his deminishing physical ability.  He definetly not on the same page with his receivers, even 8 games in, like no where near it.  How much longer are we looking for? As long as we are trapped with him?

7 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Its time to admit that you simply don’t understand what this team is. This is not a team like the Falcons or Chiefs with stud players on the offense.

They are lacking at the receiver position big time. None of the receivers on this team would be getting snaps on those teams. That’s not on Alex, that’s on the front office. Yet without good receivers today they have a 5-3 record.

If your thinking that Alex can become Tom Brady who leads offenses with scrubs to high point outputs that is a wrong perseption of this QB. That’s not who Alex is. Doesn’t stop him from winning more games then he loses. Gotta run, fun debating with you guys. Peace out and HTTR!!

It's time for you to admit that your superman cape has a big A on the back. 

We have virtually the same weapons that Kirk Cousins had over the past few seasons.  They've been lacking at the WR position for YEARS.  This is not new.   You're twisting the narrative to fit whatever you're trying to say here.  No one is suggesting that Alex Smith magically turn into Tom Brady, Brees, Rivers, or even Kirk Cousins.  What people are saying is that he needs to be MUCH better.  You don't give up a talented young DB, and a high draft pick for a guy who looks no better than Dak Prescott on a bad day.  This is a joke.  Do you know how much Alex Smith is making?  You think the team is comfortable paying him what he does to show this kind of production?  Alex Smith, right now, is a HUGE egg on the face of the franchise and yet again shows Andy Reid getting over on the team. 

Jay's MO is having a good offense.  Right now he's getting it thru the run game.  However, if the run game is stuffed, you need a QB who can show the ability to keep his team in the game.  Smith ain't it. 

The answer is really simple after 8 games:  Draft a QB immediately this upcoming coming draft.  I would draft one in the first two rounds, depending on the situation.  You CANNOT survive 4 seasons with Smith as a QB, much less 1.  He cannot play at a high enough, or even an adequate enough level to manage a competent NFL passing offense.  If you take a look at what’s going on around the league with some of the better teams in the NFL, all of them are able to move their teams down the field, and put points on the board.  Most of them can even, get this, bring their teams back from a deficit.

This team is lucky that their schedule is such that they can win 10 games, and possibly win their division.  It doesn’t mean much though, because the second they’re hosting a home playoff team against Green Bay, Minnesota, or even Philadelphia, we’re toast, because those teams have offenses that can at least score 24+ points even on an off day.  If we play those teams, and are trailing, you can forget about a playoff win.

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I could be wrong but I dont see any team taking a 20 million cap hit to cut a guy. Smith is going to be here through 2020 IMO. Now that doesnt mean he will necessarily be our starter through that period. The beauty of the draft is that you can get your starter relatively cheaply for 5 years. 

$20.4 M to go away...to not have him 'run' the offense for an additional two seasons. 

If he continues to play at this level, I think you have to at least consider it. 

We aren't Super Bowl contenders with that offense.   What are we doing other than setting ourselves up to never be able to draft high enough for a franchise QB?

Archived