Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When Can We Get Out of the Alex Smith Contract???

Renegade7

12 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Could you please list the QBs that have struggled in Jay's Offense? The only one I know of before now is Robert - and he struggled in most every offense once he was injured. The other QBs are Andy Dalton - got better every year - Colt McCoy - had some of his best performances in Jay's offense even though he is the definition of a back-up QB and Kirk who we all know did pretty well. 

Am I missing a few QBs? Maybe in Tampa? Hmm.  Would have to go back and look. If anything though, the reputation for Jay's offense is that it is QB friendly. Not sure how you get that reputation with all these QBs you speak of struggling. 

So again, please list the QBs that struggled in Jay's offense. 

Maybe you're from Cincinnati or maybe you follow the Bengals intimately. I know I do. Every one of my family members are Bengals fans. I'm thinking you probably see about as much Bengals games as you see Buffalo Bills games. Of course there's many points of views out there. But here's one to read if you ain't got nothin' to do. It sounds kinda familiar.

http://www.newsrecord.org/for_the_record/andy-dalton-the-answer-jay-gruden-the-problem/article_1ae6b76a-2b09-11e3-baf7-001a4bcf6878.html

4 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

Maybe you're from Cincinnati or maybe you follow the Bengals intimately. I know I do. Every one of my family members are Bengals fans. I'm thinking you probably see about as much Bengals games as you see Buffalo Bills games. Of course there's many points of views out there. But here's one to read if you ain't got nothin' to do. It sounds kinda familiar.

http://www.newsrecord.org/for_the_record/andy-dalton-the-answer-jay-gruden-the-problem/article_1ae6b76a-2b09-11e3-baf7-001a4bcf6878.html

Ok, this is from the start of the 3rd season in ehe league and under Jay as the OC. Andy was struggling early that season before having his best season as a pro to that point and arguably his best season at all - even after Jay has left. This is the same season Andy went on to throw for over 4000 yds and 33 TDs, only take 29 sacks (vs the 46 the year before), and 2 rushing TDs. Yea, he really struggled. He has never thrown for more than 30 TDs since. He threw for over 4000 yds since then only once but had just 18 TDs, 9 fumbles and took 41 sacks. Yea, Jay was he problem. 

The writer own words: 

Andy Dalton has been a great quarterback for the Bengals.  Write that down: great.  Great for a Bengals quarterback, that is. He has led a reformed Bengals squad to two straight playoff appearances, something no Cincinnati quarterback has done in even relatively recent memory.  And his stats through his first two seasons are pretty solid.

That was after his first two years that were not nearly as complete a season as he one he was complaining about - on Oct 1st. The article as written after a bad outing for the entire team - a 17 - 6 loss to the Browns. They later beat that same Browns team 41-20. 

Some whiney local beat writer throwing mud on the wall. Again, Andy Dalton got better every year Jay was there. Andy himself credits Jay with his development. He had his best year as a pro under Jay. Yea, Jay really was a problem there. 

Sorry, if that is struggling I would hope Alex would struggle like that.

On 11/7/2018 at 5:17 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

This Tampa game i think ironically is the 2nd version of a Code Red game in Jay's career.  A turning point.  If they win, they take away the sour feeling from the Atlanta game and show they can actually beat a team with an explosive passing game and can exploit a bad defense.  If they lose, my gut is the team might crumble.  And ultimately costs Jay his job in the long run.  Bruce, too.  I guess there is some irony that both of their fate might be tied to their old stomping grounds.  I think they can pull this one off.

I generally find myself agreeing with most of your posts, and I agree with this one with one exception. I don't think that losing this game will necessarily signal the end of Jay and Bruce, I think the performance of the offense may well be the deciding factor.

The Bucs are scoring just over 28 points a game, but are also conceding almost 35. If we lose a close, high-scoring game then I think they get a pass for at least another week, If the offense struggles again (even allowing for the make-shift Oline) then it could well be the beginning of the end.

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

I generally find myself agreeing with most of your posts, and I agree with this one with one exception. I don't think that losing this game will necessarily signal the end of Jay and Bruce, I think the performance of the offense may well be the deciding factor.

The Bucs are scoring just over 28 points a game, but are also conceding almost 35. If we lose a close, high-scoring game then I think they get a pass for at least another week, If the offense struggles again (even allowing for the make-shift Oline) then it could well be the beginning of the end.

I don't mean it though that literally.  Clearly the season isn't over at 5-4.  And you are actually making my point for me so we aren't that far apart.  

I agree if they lose it somewhat depends on how they lose.  If they can't put up points (even with their battered roster) on a team that has given up a record number of points -- then who will they score against?   Also, if the defense gets boat raced by another explosive passing offense than at that point I'd say the defense is overrated and their passing defense is actually bad.

I think the defense is good but I'd wonder about it if Tampa goes nuts against them.  I also think Alex can play better.  But I'd wonder more about him if he struggled against an atrocious defense.  This game feels like a telling one depending on how it goes.

No one obviously is getting fired if they lose and nope the season wouldn't end. That's why I said in the long run.   And look, I actually predicted they'd win this one.  So the idea that this is a watershed game doesn't have to mean a negative.  If they win this game considering the injuries and doom and gloom vibe about them -- I think would be uplifting and have a momentum vibe to it. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't mean it though that literally.  Clearly the season isn't over at 5-4.  And you are actually making my point for me so we aren't that far apart.  

I agree if they lose it somewhat depends on how they lose.  If they can't put up points (even with their battered roster) on a team that has given up a record number of points -- then who will they score against?   Also, if the defense gets boat raced by another explosive passing offense than at that point I'd say the defense is overrated and their passing defense is actually bad.

I think the defense is good but I'd wonder about it if Tampa goes nuts against them.  I also think Alex can play better.  But I'd wonder more about him if he struggled against an atrocious defense.  This game feels like a telling one depending on how it goes.

No one obviously is getting fired if they lose and nope the season wouldn't end. That's why I said in the long run.   And look, I actually predicted they'd win this one.  So the idea that this is a watershed game doesn't have to mean a negative.  If they win this game considering the injuries and doom and gloom vibe about them -- I think would be uplifting and have a momentum vibe to it. 

Yep, I understood the nuance of your post. Not the end of them, but the beginning of the end of them.  I just think that even if we lose, a solid performance (by Smith) may hold off the wrath of Dan for a week or two.

I also think that Alex can play better, but the clock is ticking so if he is going to play better then now is the time. I have been critical of him, especially after a loss, but I really hope that he makes me eat my words.  Come on Alex, make me a fanboy!

3 hours ago, London Kev said:

I generally find myself agreeing with most of your posts, and I agree with this one with one exception. I don't think that losing this game will necessarily signal the end of Jay and Bruce

I don't think Bruce will be fired until Snyder gets his new stadium. I would be absolutely shocked to see that piece of garbage sent packing before then. He is supposedly uber important to getting the new stadium deal done. We are stuck with him like the stink you get when you step in a pile of crap. Bruce should have been canned years ago. This game/season won't change his future as long as he is important to the stadium deal because that's what he cares about. 

33 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m so happy to see this thread. I was wondering how long before the fans turned on smith. 

I liked smith. He’s greatly disappointed me. 

Pretty much sums it up for me. I was high on him. One thing that's surprised me the most is his lack of accuracy. This is supposed to be one of his best traits. He's been pretty off on his throws, especially at the mid range. He's also channeling his inner Chad Pennington, throwing wobbling ducks half the time. A few times last game, the ball left his hand so badly I just randomly had the Afflac duck sound come into my mind.

His arm strength looks like Peyton Manning's final year.

2 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Pretty much sums it up for me. I was high on him. One thing that's surprised me the most is his lack of accuracy. This is supposed to be one of his best traits. He's been pretty off on his throws, especially at the mid range. He's also channeling his inner Chad Pennington, throwing wobbling ducks half the time. A few times last game, the ball left his hand so badly I just randomly had the Afflac duck sound come into my mind.

He’s not stepping all the way into his throws.  Happiest feet in the league right now other than maybe Peterman.

46 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Yep, I understood the nuance of your post. Not the end of them, but the beginning of the end of them.  I just think that even if we lose, a solid performance (by Smith) may hold off the wrath of Dan for a week or two.

I guess I need to explain the nuance a bit more on my end, I don't think Dan would be mad at all if they lose this one.  To me its a game that feels like a turning point momentum wise one way or another.  I could be wrong.  Just a feeling.  And by that if it goes south on Sunday, I think Dan will stay chilled but if that leads to a down swing in future games -- that will be a different story.  But again by momentum -- not saying bad momentum -- it could be just as easy a turning point for good momentum.  I am predicting a win.

46 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I also think that Alex can play better, but the clock is ticking so if he is going to play better then now is the time. I have been critical of him, especially after a loss, but I really hope that he makes me eat my words.  Come on Alex, make me a fanboy!

My thing about Alex (and someone who posts frequently on the Alex threads gives me a hard time for thinking this for whatever reason) -- his thing isn't about being a straight back pocket passer.  I think he's average at best as a QB that runs through his reads, drops back and fires accurately.  I think his thing is using his wheels, boots, RO, RPOs.  And I think we need to see more of that.  I liked hearing from Finlay today that he saw more of that in practice this week.  Judging by some of the rhetoric this off season, it almost felt like some people in the building wanted to prove that Alex doesn't need to use his legs much or needs that much of the razzle dazzle backfield motion (though they do use some of it), etc.  If so, I think they are learning that they were wrong.  Jay said in the off season the dude is capable of anything.  And I like Jay but he looks to be wrong, too. 

Loverro tackles the point here

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/6/alex-smiths-worth-to-redskins-to-be-revealed-in-ta/

“It’s not one thing,” Gruden said. “It’s everything. It’s the entire body of work. He’s very good at the intermediate ball. He’s good with the quick game. He can run zone reads, the [run-pass options]. Very exciting. The ability to ad-lib, make plays that aren’t there and keep plays alive. Coaching him for the first time will be exciting because I don’t think there’s a limit on what he can do. He has all the things you want a quarterback to be able to do.”

Well, except for throwing the ball downfield consistently. And playing from behind. Other than that, what a deal.

28 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

I don't think Bruce will be fired until Snyder gets his new stadium. I would be absolutely shocked to see that piece of garbage sent packing before then. He is supposedly uber important to getting the new stadium deal done. We are stuck with him like the stink you get when you step in a pile of crap. Bruce should have been canned years ago. This game/season won't change his future as long as he is important to the stadium deal because that's what he cares about. 

Some have said that in the past.  I used to think this, too.  An insider on the board though said Brian Lafemina has taken over the lead on the stadium.  Who knows?  But if so there might be something to him leaving after this season as some project. 

On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not sure how you can say in “fairness” and include the Colts game where the D gave up 21 points and picked Luck off twice, while the Redskins offense mustered a measly 9 points.  The Colts game is a good example of a game where folks say “Alex didn’t lose us the game” just because he didn’t turn it over a bunch.  On the contrary, I think Alex’s performance as a passer was the biggest contributor to losing the game.

more like Alex's performance as a couldnt pass

5 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

The stadium should hand out duck callers, when Alex throws a pass, all you hear are those noisy ass things in the stands.

I think I would crack a rib laughing...

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

For the sake of this team for the next 3 years we all better hope that it's just his not getting used to the system or in sync with the receivers as opposed to his abilities falling off due to his age.  

This is fair and has been what has started to concern me as the weeks go on with him playing poorly. Has he just hit the wall? All athletes do so. It would actually make more sense in terms of explaining his performance to date. But would be a lot worse for us moving forward. 

I know people say we are stuck with him - but we are either stuck with him or his CAP hit. I am not one to hold up dallast as a positive example, but they did pull the band-aid off and took the CAP hit to let Romo go (not a good QB move IMO, but in terms of moving making the call to move on despite the CAP hit, I get it.) If it's clear Alex is not getting it and they see a rookie QB that they like, I would rather they suffer the CAP hit and move on than just play him because of money.

Unlikely to happen. But I can dream anyway. 

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

This is fair and has been what has started to concern me as the weeks go on with him playing poorly. Has he just hit the wall? All athletes do so. It would actually make more sense in terms of explaining his performance to date. But would be a lot worse for us moving forward. 

I know people say we are stuck with him - but we are either stuck with him or his CAP hit. I am not one to hold up dallast as a positive example, but they did pull the band-aid off and took the CAP hit to let Romo go (not a good QB move IMO, but in terms of moving making the call to move on despite the CAP hit, I get it.) If it's clear Alex is not getting it and they see a rookie QB that they like, I would rather they suffer the CAP hit and move on than just play him because of money.

I'm somewhere in the middle. On the money side, I completely agree. But I also feel like if you're paying the guy, he may as well be on the roster. So, I'd be fine if he's beaten out for the starting job, but I'd want him at least on the team as the backup. Say what you want, but salary aside he'd be a top-flight backup QB that could come in and help you not lose a couple games. 

But, to your overall point, if the Redskins are paying the QB position $22M one season. I don't really care which guy (the one earning $21M or the one earning $1M) starts for us. 

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I'm somewhere in the middle. On the money side, I completely agree. But I also feel like if you're paying the guy, he may as well be on the roster. So, I'd be fine if he's beaten out for the starting job, but I'd want him at least on the team as the backup. Say what you want, but salary aside he'd be a top-flight backup QB that could come in and help you not lose a couple games. 

But, to your overall point, if the Redskins are paying the QB position $22M one season. I don't really care which guy (the one earning $21M or the one earning $1M) starts for us. 

Fair enough. I could go with that I guess. My only issue is what that would do to the locker room and peoples confidence in him even as a back-up. It would depend on how he handled being demoted. There is nothing to suggest he would be a jerk about it. Having said that, wow go from "The man" to back-up in say a year? 

Let's hope we do not have to find out because Alex and the offense start to get it going. 

51 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough. I could go with that I guess. My only issue is what that would do to the locker room and peoples confidence in him even as a back-up. It would depend on how he handled being demoted. There is nothing to suggest he would be a jerk about it. Having said that, wow go from "The man" to back-up in say a year? 

Let's hope we do not have to find out because Alex and the offense start to get it going. 

He's done it before...in SF when he was closer to his prime. I don't know the guy, but something tells me he would handle it just fine. And, if I'm being honest, if we have a young QB doing a good job who gets nicked up and we need a two-week fill-in to win games and clinch a playoff berth, give me Smith over McCoy. 

I was listening to Finlay talk about it, he said there is some frustration behind the scenes about Alex's play but no talk about starting Colt. 

IMO the way they in a heavy handed fashion sold the Alex acquisition in the off season and coupled with the customary someone major leaving the club so lets take a shot at Kirk with "off the record" comments -- I think it would be the ultimate ego humiliating move to bench Alex.  In that regard, its apples to oranges to McNabb let alone the big extension Alex got.  Was easier to cut bait with McNabb.  

I am typically not a big Doc Walker guy but I agree with his comments about the team is surprised about Alex not really playing that hot as a traditional drop back passer and he has more RG3 in him than they thought.  I don't think that was so much a shot but an explanation that Alex is more of a roll out, RPO, RO guy.  

The off season rhetoric seemed to paint a picture that Alex is a really good pocket passer but who happens to add to that even more zest via his mobility.  I gather O'Connell came to that conclusion.  Right now, he's looking wrong.  Right now, all the praise Andy Reid got for turning Alex around by using a lot of college football - spread, RO, RPO concepts is looking good.  And i liked hearing from Finlay the other day that he saw a lot more of that in practice this week.   And this isn't a slam at Jay, he's not in charge of player evaluation.  And he typically likes the drop back passer type.  He talked about it directly once when he was Cincy's O coordinator.  I think at the moment he thought he was getting one thing on the menu but they brought him something else. 

As I am typing this am listening to a guy who studies betting football games and is a numbers guys, he's shooting stats about how Alex in his career does not really do shoot outs well and if the opponent passer throws for 300 yards, his teams almost always lose.  The other day on another radio station, I was hearing that Alex just doing 300 yards, he has only having a handful of them in his career.  This is a passing league.  Our passing defense looks far from elite.    It's all fine when we play more modest style offenses who are dependent on the running game but that's not most of the league.  That's why to me this next game is really telling. 

The article from Loverro i think explains the emotion of some of us well.  To me, Alex was oversold.  And I said so on the thread last time.  And if you are going to oversell the guy and he doesn't perform the FO deserves the scorn and consternation they are getting so far.

Having said that, I believe in Jay and this staff to figure this out.  To use a cooking metaphor -- instead of making scrambled eggs with the eggs you got, make it into an omelet.   And its not that i don't think Alex can drop back and fling the ball but I don't see anything special about him in that regard, so so.  But as I've said all off season, I am intrigued by the misdirection, RO, RPO.  And yes, they have incorporated some of it.  But I want an even heavier dose.  Just my 2 cents. ?

And no I am not giving up that he can turn it around. Just saying if this is what we got and Alex doesn't move the needle up eventually -- yuck.  But I still think he could.  Hopefully this Sunday. 

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/6/alex-smiths-worth-to-redskins-to-be-revealed-in-ta/

After the Washington Redskins acquired Alex Smith, coach Jay Gruden testified in favor of the trade — enthusiastically, glowingly, effusively. In fact, he said the team was better off with Smith at quarterback than they had been with the previous quarterback, without mentioning his name.

“Yeah, without a doubt,” Gruden told reporters at the NFL owners meeting in Orlando in March. “I don’t want to compare two players, but we’re always trying to be better at every position. We got better.”

Well, we’ll find out Sunday in Tampa against the Buccaneers.

So we should expect to see all these things that Gruden talked about in March that make Smith an upgrade.

“It’s not one thing,” Gruden said. “It’s everything. It’s the entire body of work. He’s very good at the intermediate ball. He’s good with the quick game. He can run zone reads, the [run-pass options]. Very exciting. The ability to ad-lib, make plays that aren’t there and keep plays alive. Coaching him for the first time will be exciting because I don’t think there’s a limit on what he can do. He has all the things you want a quarterback to be able to do.”

Well, except for throwing the ball downfield consistently. And playing from behind. Other than that, what a deal.

When you commit front office malfeasance and let a quarterback like Cousins leave — and make it worse without anything to show for his leaving — and then trade for a 34-year-old quarterback and pay him $94 million, every week is a debate about that change unless you prove otherwise. The Redskins have hardly proved otherwise. In fact, there are far more questions about Smith today than there were the day they traded for him.

There will be answers to some of those questions, or more questions raised, based on what Smith does in Tampa, because he will likely have to do more than he has in their five victories.

The Redskins‘ formula for winning this season has been a strong defense, good special teams, winning the field position battle and running the ball in a time-consuming offense. For the most part, all that Smith has been asked to do in those wins is not to lose the game — don’t turn the ball over. He has done that, with just three interceptions in the first eight games.

He is catching a break facing a Tampa team that is the worst in the league in give-take numbers — minus 15 — with 17 interceptions and four fumbles. Benched quarterback Jameis Winston has thrown 10 of those interceptions, but starter Ryan Fitzpatrick has seven interceptions as well. He also has 17 touchdown passes in six games.

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

If they fall in love with a QB prospect and draft him and he shows flashes of being competent, (similar to the Cowboys with Dak) I would not mind at all if they outright released him and absorbed the hit.  Need to find a QB first though.

24 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

As long as Bruce is here, there is not a chance in the world they cut him and take the cap hit.

A new regime, picking its own QB in the draft, may do such a thing.

Agreed. Only way they rip that band-aid off is with both Jay and Bruce gone. Hear me out, but this is why I see us actually in a win-win situation. 

If the team say has a second half like the first half and makes the POS they will have had done something right. 10-6 is very good and I do not care how supposed down any conference is or what kind of schedule we play. 10 wins in the NFL is a damn good job - period. So they would get a deserved chance to improve on that for 2019. 

If the season goes south, then Bruce will be out on his ass. Jay will probably be collateral damage. But then there would finally be a clean break - of course unless danny boy hires a HC then a GM and tells the GM to deal with it. And I could care less about injuries. Too many of the guys injured have had injury issues, including our top FA acquisition. They made the decision to go with the guys they have. It's all on them if they can;t over come the injuries.

There is I guess a middle ground. They go 7-9 or 8-8 and they both get another chance citing injuries again. But I do not think so. This thing either goes way south - like lose the next 4 or 5 or they pick it up and win several more games, enough to get with striking range of 10 at least. No data to support that - just my gut feeling. 

2 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

There is I guess a middle ground. They go 7-9 or 8-8 and they both get another chance citing injuries again. But I do not think so. This thing either goes way south - like lose the next 4 or 5 or they pick it up and win several more games, enough to get with striking range of 10 at least. No data to support that - just my gut feeling. 

Agreed with pretty much everything in your post but I will say that if I were to bet right here today, I think 7 or 8 wins is the number.  Honestly, at this point, if they can just win on Thanksgiving I’ll be happy.  That said, it would be a damn shame for 8-8 to save Bruce.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agreed with pretty much everything in your post but I will say that if I were to bet right here today, I think 7 or 8 wins is the number.  Honestly, at this point, if they can just win on Thanksgiving I’ll be happy.  That said, it would be a damn shame for 8-8 to save Bruce.

Yea, I would hate that too. It's time to either put up or shut up. He has been given every chance. Now he supposedly has "his" QB, or the one he believes can take this to team to a championship (meaning Bruce.)  And no, I am not demanding/expecting a championship this year. But another ho hum mediocre finish would seem this group has reached it's ceiling of capability. 

4 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But it's not really a binary decision...either we:

• Pay him for 2 seasons (1 to play, 1 to go away) $55 M
  • or we pay him for 3 seasons, $71 M 

That decision point is near the beginning of the new league year, in March.  And if we keep him, there's absolutely zero point in drafting a QB this draft, because you then waste half of a rookie contract that you could be building the rest of the roster, paying Smith for production he isn't ever likely to justify.

Even worse, in this scenario you limit the ability of the team to move on from the current FO, coaching structure.  What new regime wants to come in, and be tied to Smith for the next two years?

Then if you keep playing him, he generally does just enough to guarantee to you're never contending for a top QB without trading assets.  

2 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

If they fall in love with a QB prospect and draft him and he shows flashes of being competent, (similar to the Cowboys with Dak) I would not mind at all if they outright released him and absorbed the hit.  Need to find a QB first though.

Draft comes after that decision point.  I'd love to know whose idiotic idea it was to give Alex Smith this much leverage in contract negotiations.  

Archived