Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am one of the Bruce critics here.  But I've been relatively good at praising good moves, criticizing bad moves.  It's been easy because I typically spell out who I want in FA so if they pursue and sign him, great.  If not and I don't like the player, I'll say so.

But I've made the point for a long time that I don't think Bruce is making the calls on any player.  I don't get the impression even a little that Bruce is identifying a single target whether its the draft or FA.   I spelled out what I think he does on the Bruce thread. I think he's so so at his job and my issue with him is very personality driven.  But the FO seems to have good people working there especially on the college scouting side.  

But to this trade specifically, I like it.  And I like the philosophy behind it.  My issue on the aggregate with trade and FA signings is they don't shoot for the fences enough and instead work from the shallow end of the pool and hope to get lucky.  I am not a Vinny guy where I love trading picks or shooting big all the time.  But If I am shooting, I like to shoot big more than they do.  HaHa Clinton Dix if he is at his best is a prime player.   It's shooting big.  And I like it. 

Chris Russell said Kyle Smith pushed this but who knows .  The Alabama connection is getting intense.  Heck it got my son into Alabama and i even went to one of their games this year because of it.  

I pretty much agree with everything but one part of it. While I would tend to agree Bruce may not be out there watching film and targeting players, he is at least apparently listening to the guys in the FO that know what they are doing. As the guy in charge, the difference between him being the guy to scout and target guys or him listening to the guys in the room, for me it makes no difference. He has to sign off on the move and the result is the same. Good managers listen to their people. 

So why do I still not care for him? You called it when you mentioned his personality traits. I just do not like the way he has been doing his business - how he handled Scot - to those about to defend, yes the team won, but it was still handled bush league - and of course Kirk - not as much that they let him go it's that they had to spend what i see as significant resources to get Alex to get nothing in return - to name a few things. It would make me feel better if he were not in a position to make those mistakes again.

So, the above does not mean I don't still wish we would get a true football person as GM (not suggesting you were implying that, just making it clear to others reading). But in reference to this move in particular - regardless of if it were his idea or not, he made it, or allowed it to happen. Got to give him credit there. 

The part I agree with most about the move is as you say it represents a change in philosophy that for the right person they are willing to take a chance. The DJax and Norman signings are not really applicable. They were more publicity stunts that happened to work out. Also, they paid a lot for both. This move is a very low cost/risk but very high reward. 

Maybe someone already posted this - if so sorry. But if youh av not watched Ha Ha in this press conference you need to. My favorite response may be when asked if he would be ready to play this weekend - he responded, I am paraphrasing: Check it out, I came her to play. If I need to play STs, help from the sideline, whatever is I can do to help this team win, #20 will be out there ready to play. 

If you to jump right to Ha Ha, he starts at about the 10:49 mark. 

9 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I pretty much agree with everything but one part of it. While I would tend to agree Bruce may not be out there watching film and targeting players, he is at least apparently listening to the guys in the FO that know what they are doing. As the guy in charge, the difference between him being the guy to scout and target guys or him listening to the guys in the room, for me it makes no difference. He has to sign off on the move and the result is the same. Good managers listen to their people. 

So why do I still not care for him? You called it when you mentioned his personality traits. I just do not like the way he has been doing his business - how he handled Scot - to those about to defend, yes the team won, but it was still handled bush league - and of course Kirk - not as much that they let him go it's that they had to spend what i see as significant resources to get Alex to get nothing in return - to name a few things. It would make me feel better if he were not in a position to make those mistakes again.

So, the above does not mean I don't still wish we would get a true football person as GM (not suggesting you were implying that, just making it clear to others reading). But in reference to this move in particular - regardless of if it were his idea or not, he made it, or allowed it to happen. Got to give him credit there. 

The part I agree with most about the move is as you say it represents a change in philosophy that for the right person they are willing to take a chance. The DJax and Norman signings are not really applicable. They were more publicity stunts that happened to work out. Also, they paid a lot for both. This move is a very low cost/risk but very high reward. 

Sure, if they make moves like this as their modus operandi and he's in the building, am cool with Bruce's part of the mix specific to said transaction.  Not suggesting otherwise.  If I can criticize philosophy I don't like that happens in FA/trades, I can conversely praise it.  My point about I don't credit or blame Bruce for specific player acquisitions is I've gathered he has nothing to do with picking the targets.  However, the philosophy of letting this type of thing happen, I am cool with.  I've praised other transactions they've made before, too.   My issue is the whole soup, the aggregate approach with pro personnel -- I've liked for the most part college personnel.

And I like hearing Schaffer pushing for Peterson or if Russell is correct Kyle Smith pushing for Clinton-Dix.  Ditto Russell saying that Bruce's power diminished last Spring for whatever reason. Hopefully that portents that one of them is poised to take over from him.

Edit:  listened to Doug he suggested it was Santos and him following up on this as a target. 

17 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

I hope Clinton-Dix can play some CB because Stroman being asked to cover a #1 WR is such a mismatch.  Hopefully Dunbar is on the mend and Norman, Dunbar, and Clinton-Dix is the #1, 2, and 3 CB combo

Although Josh Norman has been talked about being "improved", apparently he is not lighting it up when the ball is in the air.

We are struggling at corner.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-01-at-10_20_55.png

I expect Manusky to dial back the blitzing this week.  Test the waters rushing 4, and load up vs the pass for Atlanta.  With the way our team is built, I see us daring teams to beat us with the run game. OCs try and smokescreen us every damn week but we know in the end they really want to pass. Heck even Jay with a successful run game just keeps talking up the passing game every single week. Even he can't hide his true intentions.

I even see a lot of rush 3 drop 8 in our future.  With of course, 3 safeties.

19 hours ago, hawgboy said:

I cannot prove a negative but I can point out that right or wrong, shoulder hits are still called every week.

You can prove a negative if you have a finite set of data points. All you have to do is find a hit where he did lead with his helmet.

(Sorry to be pedantic, but I just can't help myself. :blush:)

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I expect Manusky to dial back the blitzing this week.  Test the waters rushing 4, and load up vs the pass for Atlanta.  With the way our team is built, I see us daring teams to beat us with the run game. OCs try and smokescreen us every damn week but we know in the end they really want to pass. Heck even Jay with a successful run game just keeps talking up the passing game every single week. Even he can't hide his true intentions.

I sure as hell hope he doesn't do that.

Article from a Packer blog.  A lot of this from guys covering the team.  Actually, even if so, it seems like a change of scenery is what he needed.  Playing for the team that Sean Taylor played for, his idol, all the Alabama connections.  He's super close with Landon Collins who now plays in his same division, etc.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2018/11/01/dougherty-unraveling-mystery-ha-ha-clinton-dixs-decline/1848782002/?hootPostID=7fd8301780c5ddc84e7112272153808f

Anyone who has watched the Packers regularly the last 1½ years has witnessed his incredibly uneven play. Though he intercepted six passes going back to 2017, he also gave up far too many plays by gambling in coverage and missing tackles as the last line of defense.

We’ll have to see how Clinton-Dix’s career goes from here. Maybe this will be the jolt he needed to get back on track and make the Packers regret the deal. But based on what we know to date, Brian Gutekunst, the team’s general manager, did well to get a fourth-round draft pick for him.

“He thought he was good enough that he didn’t have to study as much as a rookie (does),” a team source said of Clinton-Dix’s mindset the last two seasons. “He’s guessing (in pass coverage). He’s thinking that’s how you get paid.”

...“He’s just so incredibly inconsistent,” said a high-ranking scout for another NFL team.

Clinton-Dix gave the Packers reasons to like him for three years. Though he can’t outrun his mistakes – he ran only a 4.58-second 40 – he’s a big safety (6-1 3/8, 208) with long arms (32 3/8 inches). He improved in each of his first three seasons and looked like a burgeoning leader.

He also has the prized quality of durability. In his 4½ years with the Packers he never missed a game, and in the last 3½ he took part in more than 99 percent of the team’s defensive snaps.

But after a Pro Bowl season in 2016 he lost his edge, fell in love with the idea that he’s a playmaker and turned into a gambler at a position that punishes gamblers.

He thought he’d arrived, but all he did was play his way out of town.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I dont know man.

Give a good QB like Ryan time to scan the field, he is going to find somebody open.

Damned if you, damned if you dont situation. Blitz = get burned. Dont blitz = death by a thousand paper cuts.

Im real curious to see what Manusky and co dial up this week.

I really don't understand this move from the point of view of the Packers. That secondary (particularly at safety) is toast if they lose ONE starter; they have no quality depth on the back end. Plus the kid is young; crazy. But I love the pick up for the Skins. This ain't Pierson Prioleau. This will make things even better for Rev. Swearinger, who is already ballin' out.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth at losing Fuller. This is a miracle elixir that makes me feel a little better. :) 

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I sure as hell hope he doesn't do that.

Me as well. But at what point does Manusky recognize the need to blitz may not be as imperative as it was in recent years.

Don't get me wrong I love bringing the heat and pressure on offenses... all game long. But does he really need to do that? If not, its going to be rush 4 and rush 3 more than previous years.

10 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I really don't understand this move from the point of view of the Packers. That secondary (particularly at safety) is toast if they lose ONE starter; they have no quality depth on the back end. Plus the kid is young; crazy. But I love the pick up for the Skins. This ain't Pierson Prioleau. This will make things even better for Rev. Swearinger, who is already ballin' out.

I still have a sour taste in my mouth at losing Fuller. This is a miracle elixir that makes me feel a little better. :) 

We feel this year you guys have a better chance of going all the way than we do lol.

Antonio Freeman was on the radio yesterday and he was saying Dix had to play conservative because he was constantly worrying about the guys on the outside getting burned, Freeman said Dix has never had a chance to play with a real #1 CB.

Something to think about.

13 hours ago, TheShredder said:

If he balls out and gels with DJ and this defense you can RFA tag him and that salary is going to be like 9M range. If he signs it, you get another run with the D intact for 2020...if someone else signs him then the Skins get a 1-st round pick.  Otherwise you pick up a comp pick next year.  Excellent trade...just have to see how it plays out.

You just want them to beat the Falcons.  ???

I do!!! I picked you guys at home this week. I pull for you guys in that division without question. 

5 hours ago, Audible_Red40 said:

Although Josh Norman has been talked about being "improved", apparently he is not lighting it up when the ball is in the air.

We are struggling at corner.

Screen-Shot-2018-11-01-at-10_20_55.png

Norman stunk the first 4 games. Stunk.

He was decent against Carolina, and really quietly shut ODBjr down last week.

Hopefully he stays quiet and lets his game speak for him. 

Hopefully Dunbar gets better quick, although i am liking the depth and play of Moreau and Stoman.

Has Adonis seen any playing time?

I don't fully buy the QBR thing. Where has that stat as a CB grade been for the past 100 years? It just doesn't match my eye test.  Could it be the only times QBs risk throwing at him, is when the WR closest to him is wide open?  And that stat better be man for coverage, or have it for both man and zone. Zone is easy for a stud WR and QB to pick apart. And we faced some studs those first for 4 weeks, particularly QBs.

Dix signing off.... roll tide!

45 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I don't fully buy the QBR thing. Where has that stat as a CB grade been for the past 100 years? It just doesn't match my eye test.  Could it be the only times QBs risk throwing at him, is when the WR closest to him is wide open?  And that stat better be man for coverage, or have it for both man and zone. Zone is easy for a stud WR and QB to pick apart. And we faced some studs those first for 4 weeks, particularly QBs.

Dix signing off.... roll tide!

I wonder if anyone ever fact checks these analytics services, they are nothing more than a subscription based business and just like any business they could pencil whip or get lazy with ratings.

You have a guy at GB who has 32 clips breaking down Dix and he has him rated the 3rd worst tackler on GB but PFF says he's a good tackler.

You hear people say that Norman gets abused by stud WR's like in the New Orleans game vs Michael Thomas but when Cooley breaks down the film he said Norman didn't give up one catch to Thomas all game, they went away from him all game.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Cant wait to see how we match up with you guys.

Oh same here dude.  You guys are an easy team to like from my perspective.   I hated watching you guys struggle last season.   This season though.... man, looking strong as I said.  

3 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I dont know man.

Give a good QB like Ryan time to scan the field, he is going to find somebody open.

Damned if you, damned if you dont situation. Blitz = get burned. Dont blitz = death by a thousand paper cuts.

Im real curious to see what Manusky and co dial up this week.

Kinda depends how much pressure the front 4 generates and how fast they get to him though, right?  

But yeah, I think Manusky has to switch it up - as much as the secondary can handle anyway.  Given our offense, I’m not so worried about long drives by the Falcons because our D should get decent rest regardless.  The big plays and quick scores though?  That’s more likely to lead to our O playing (consistently) from behind, which isn’t likely to work.  

As for the trade, I think it’s a really good one for the Skins.  If CD can support our corners, who already have a pass rush to lean/rely on, they should be in better shape.  

Archived