Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:46 PM, JSSkinz said:

He's definitely a #1, maybe not a Patrick Peterson #1 but there are 64 starting CB's in the NFL, are you telling me Josh isn't one of the best 64 CB's in the league?

He's a solid player, not the shutdown corner we thought we were getting and not worth the $14.5M but he's solid.

Most CBs like Norman, when they're a bit younger, if they are good, their reputation builds and opponents shy away from throwing his direction, at least for a few years.

Eventually a CB proves he is human, but it takes a few years for their speed and athletic ability to slow a bit before QBs begin taking a chance. But its his reputation that's valuable at this point; he's still forcing some of the less brave QBs from testing him, they don't wanna be ridiculed for throwing his way. It also helps with coverage on the other receivers.

25 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Most CBs like Norman, when they're a bit younger, if they are good, their reputation builds and opponents shy away from throwing his direction, at least for a few years.

Eventually a CB proves he is human, but it takes a few years for their speed and athletic ability to slow a bit before QBs begin taking a chance. But its his reputation that's valuable at this point; he's still forcing some of the less brave QBs from testing him, they don't wanna be ridiculed for throwing his way. It also helps with coverage on the other receivers.

Definitely agree...it's a kind of 'all things considered' scenario with Norman when you get to the end of this year.  Since we're in the middle of the season and the defense is playing well, you definitely want Norman on the field right now and for the rest of the season.  The downside to losing what he does bring to the defense as a playmaker, veteran player, leadership, and continuity is extremely important for continuing what they're doing through the first half of the year.  We can look at the rest of the schedule and view it as having a higher degree of demand on the secondary through the remainder of the season.  

If Norman has an average season, there's going to be some challenges to justifying his current salary.  They can always restructure to give him some more cash now and ultimately a discounted annual with an extended year.  Should be interesting. I think with the addition of Ha-Ha, there's an added variable that might include the decision about the secondary should Ha-Ha bring it the rest of the year and meshing with DJ.  We could possibly see a situation emerge where you could save some money by cutting Norman and keeping Ha-Ha.  Good dilemma to be in for the Skins where these two Safeties ball out and mesh, while Norman has a mediocre performance.  Imagining Dunbar/Stroman/DJ/Ha-Ha could be as formidable as Dunbar/Norman/DJ/Nicholson.  Hmmmm... Then there's the possibility of trading Norman as well.   They approach Norman to take a pay cut for a cash bonus and discounted annual with an additional year, explaining they want to be able to sign Ha-Ha.  They sign Ha-Ha and trade Norman's discounted contract for a second round draft pick. (Just like the Falcons did for DHall) 

I'd have to see a lot more from Stroman before making that commitment; Nicholson as well. In the Giants game, both were toasted badly, ending up in PI calls against them.  Manusky or the DB coach HAS to get them to take a peek when they're in pursuit like that; I know Nicholson could have easily turned towards the ball and picked it off once he got close, but Stroman flat out crying for butter because he was half ass back peddling as OBJ blew past him at near full speed. Had he played inside a couple yards he could have been in the same position.

4 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I'd have to see a lot more from Stroman before making that commitment; Nicholson as well. In the Giants game, both were toasted badly, ending up in PI calls against them.  Manusky or the DB coach HAS to get them to take a peek when they're in pursuit like that; I know Nicholson could have easily turned towards the ball and picked it off once he got close, but Stroman flat out crying for butter because he was half ass back peddling as OBJ blew past him at near full speed. Had he played inside a couple yards he could have been in the same position.

That's totally true.  The playing time they got was valuable.  Should be interesting.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, TheShredder said:

Definitely agree...it's a kind of 'all things considered' scenario with Norman when you get to the end of this year.  Since we're in the middle of the season and the defense is playing well, you definitely want Norman on the field right now and for the rest of the season.  The downside to losing what he does bring to the defense as a playmaker, veteran player, leadership, and continuity is extremely important for continuing what they're doing through the first half of the year.  We can look at the rest of the schedule and view it as having a higher degree of demand on the secondary through the remainder of the season.  

At this point I think we need to figure out how what to do with some key pieces that play rarely...

Thompson, Crowder, Lauvao are three guys who we need to decide where to go due to injuries.

Reed, Moses are two guys that are always banged up, cost a lot, but generally try to tough it out... at least this year in Reed’s case.

Williams is getting old and something needs to get figured out there.

I’d say those things are more important than replacing Norman right now.

43 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Waste of a 4th rd pick. Was only7 worth it if we resigned him anyway. I don't know why in hell we would resign him now. Wait Skins front office. He'll probably get a record contract. 

Well we only resign the bad ones, certainly always let the good ones go.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Lotta overreactions from frustrated fans in this thread. 

I'll be waiting for a bump when he gets his next INT. 

Uhhh, I don’t think this is an over reaction. I’ve been pretty negative today but you cannot back up Dix. The angles he took and his tackling was atrocious today. 

1 minute ago, max21 said:

Uhhh, I don’t think this is an over reaction. I’ve been pretty negative today but you cannot back up Dix. The angles he took and his tackling was atrocious today. 

Am I defending his performance today? I'm just saying posts like "waste of a pick," "he's terrible," "we got fleeced again" after one bad game is an overreaction. 

Just now, Bacon said:

Am I defending his performance today? I'm just saying posts like "waste of a pick," "he's terrible," "we got fleeced again" after one bad game is an overreaction. 

Ever since we got him the defense has regressed.  Maybe coincidental but there has been absolutely nothing positive about that trade so far.  Make a midseason trade for a guy that will be a FA after the year then anything except an immediate impact is a loss. 

2 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Ever since we got him the defense has regressed.  Maybe coincidental but there has been absolutely nothing positive about that trade so far.  Make a midseason trade for a guy that will be a FA after the year then anything except an immediate impact is a loss. 

Dunbar's injury, coupled with the decaying of our time of possession following all those OL injuries really hasn't helped the D. It's all connected. 

But I get what you're saying. We gave up a pick for immediate gratification and it's not happening. That does signal a bad trade, considering our intentions. 

Archived