Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Safety Clinton Dix to the skins

KillBill26

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Antonio Freeman was on the radio yesterday and he was saying Dix had to play conservative because he was constantly worrying about the guys on the outside getting burned, Freeman said Dix has never had a chance to play with a real #1 CB.

Something to think about.

He still will not. Our DB's may be better than GB (or may not be I have no idea) but we do not have a "real #1 CB" either.

5 minutes ago, repo_4 said:

He still will not. Our DB's may be better than GB (or may not be I have no idea) but we do not have a "real #1 CB" either.

He's definitely a #1, maybe not a Patrick Peterson #1 but there are 64 starting CB's in the NFL, are you telling me Josh isn't one of the best 64 CB's in the league?

He's a solid player, not the shutdown corner we thought we were getting and not worth the $14.5M but he's solid.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

He's definitely a #1, maybe not a Patrick Peterson #1 but there are 64 starting CB's in the NFL, are you telling me Josh isn't one of the best 64 CB's in the league?

He's a solid player, not the shutdown corner we thought we were getting and not worth the $14.5M but he's solid.

Yeah, I think it was more of a difference in interpretation. He may be our #1 CB but he is not a "#1 CB" (ie Peterson by your definition). But by that same logic he in fact did play with a #1 CB in GB because every team has one.

Just now, repo_4 said:

Yeah, I think it was more of a difference in interpretation. He may be our #1 CB but he is not a "#1 CB" (ie Peterson by your definition). But by that same logic he in fact did play with a #1 CB in GB because every team has one.

I guess you have a point there but I don't see Josh hurting the team, I think he's probably a top 20 CB in the league at least top 32 but yeah, he's no shutdown like Champ or Darrell, would be nice to get one of those guys.  You could say the sunk cost has lost us opportunity at other players and that would be fair.

He took advantage of playing behind a nasty D line in Carolina, if we continue with our stellar D line play maybe he can start making some plays.

Personally, I think he's gone after this year but not because he's a poor CB but more so because he's not as good as his contract, he's an $8M a year player, not $14.5M.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:08 PM, Thinking Skins said:

- Drive 1 Josh Norman holding on 3rd and 4....TD

- Drive 2 Kerrigan sacks DB on 3rd and 8, but gets unnecessary roughness

- Drive 2 P. Smith Stops Brees on 3rd and 4, but Holding on Dunbar...TD 

Jf842PC.png

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I wonder if anyone ever fact checks these analytics services, they are nothing more than a subscription based business and just like any business they could pencil whip or get lazy with ratings.

There is no way to fact check them because the grading is always going to be subjective.  But their process is by far more comprehensive than anything fans have had access to, to date.

On every play, a PFF analyst will grade each player on a scale of -2 to +2 according to what he did on the play.

pff player grades

At one end of the scale you have a catastrophic game-ending interception or pick-six from a quarterback, and at the other a perfect deep bomb into a tight window in a critical game situation, with the middle of that scale being 0-graded, or ‘expected’ plays that are neither positive nor negative.

Each game is also graded by a second PFF analyst independent of the first, and those grades are compared by a third, Senior Analyst, who rules on any differences between the two. These grades are verified by the Pro Coach Network, a group of former and current NFL coaches with over 700 combined years of NFL coaching experience, to get them as accurate as they can be.

From there, the grades are normalized to better account for game situation; this ranges from where a player lined up to the dropback depth of the quarterback or the length of time he had the ball in his hand and everything in between. They are finally converted to a 0-100 scale and appear in our Player Grades tool.

PFF: PFF Player Grades

On 11/1/2018 at 3:30 PM, OVCChairman said:

It's likely but nobody is certain of anything regarding compensatory picks.  I would imagine that if we don't sign him, we're likely not going to sign anyone for a bigger contract than he would have gotten.  I don't think it would be quite a 4th... maybe a 5th?   It also wouldn't be until the following draft, so we would go from 4th round in 2019 for 5th round 2020.

All speculation. 

DJ is on something like 4.5mil per year. Safety contracts outside of the real high end players are fairly reasonable in context. So maybe Clinton Dix signs up on a deal in the 5mil per year range and DJ getting a slight raise to match. 

I think if he left then a 5th in return via comp pick would be the max would could expect. As you say though, all speculation.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

I guess you have a point there but I don't see Josh hurting the team, I think he's probably a top 20 CB in the league at least top 32 but yeah, he's no shutdown like Champ or Darrell, would be nice to get one of those guys.  You could say the sunk cost has lost us opportunity at other players and that would be fair.

He took advantage of playing behind a nasty D line in Carolina, if we continue with our stellar D line play maybe he can start making some plays.

Personally, I think he's gone after this year but not because he's a poor CB but more so because he's not as good as his contract, he's an $8M a year player, not $14.5M.

I am with you. I think he is top 20. That to me isn't "#1 CB". But again I think you and I took a different interpretation of the original quote.

He looks to be playing better than the first few games and I would hope that we could keep him, on a restructured much lower deal. If not, next man up.

I really like the signing and we got him for a ridiculously cheap price. If he balls out we extend him, if he doesn't, we let him walk. Having a real, honest-to-god Free Safety back there is something I've been pining for for years. DJ can do it ok but that really isn't his natural role. I definitely think this makes our defense instantly that much better. 

Though I have to admit that I'm a little surprised Bruce and Dan OK'd the move seeing as how with them we already have two high paid Dix in the organization. 

From reading up on the trade on a packers board, sure does seem that they like the trade as well.  They got some draft capital back in a player who they say wasn't a 'team player', and a guy who was inconsistent at best.  Wonder what changes with the new uni? Thoughts?

1 hour ago, JRobinson said:

From reading up on the trade on a packers board, sure does seem that they like the trade as well.  They got some draft capital back in a player who they say wasn't a 'team player', and a guy who was inconsistent at best.  Wonder what changes with the new uni? Thoughts?

By all appearances, there seems to be some speculation around the NFL that Rogers is kind of an issue amongst teammates. Also saying that he might have some issue with coaches.  Like complaining about players and then the player is basically gone or done if he crosses Rogers.  Their defense isn't good and don't play together in what appears to be an un-united locker room.   I'd imagine that coming to a Skins team that is all 'Us against Them' and defensive minded would bring the best out of an addition.  No downside for sure. 

9 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

By all appearances, there seems to be some speculation around the NFL that Rogers is kind of an issue amongst teammates. Also saying that he might have some issue with coaches.  Like complaining about players and then the player is basically gone or done if he crosses Rogers.  Their defense isn't good and don't play together in what appears to be an un-united locker room.   I'd imagine that coming to a Skins team that is all 'Us against Them' and defensive minded would bring the best out of an addition.  No downside for sure. 

Hmm.. this is intriguing to me.  I don't doubt that Rodgers can clash with different personalities as he seems to have a strong personality himself.  I don't necessarily believe that he has the kind of pull to be rid of someone just because he says "so" or whatever.  

Their defense is actually better than advertised and better than what they have played IMO.  Yes, its true that "you are what your record says you are" and "stats don't lie" but watching that bunch.... they are better to me. You could be right about the lack of unity in the locker room as I have no idea what that even looks like.

Hopefully he will fit right in with the culture and mindset that your defense has.

1 hour ago, JRobinson said:

Hmm.. this is intriguing to me.  I don't doubt that Rodgers can clash with different personalities as he seems to have a strong personality himself.  I don't necessarily believe that he has the kind of pull to be rid of someone just because he says "so" or whatever.  

Their defense is actually better than advertised and better than what they have played IMO.  Yes, its true that "you are what your record says you are" and "stats don't lie" but watching that bunch.... they are better to me. You could be right about the lack of unity in the locker room as I have no idea what that even looks like.

Hopefully he will fit right in with the culture and mindset that your defense has.

I dunno. I think Rodgers may have a bit more clout than you might think, though not sure about on the defensive side of things. From what I read Rodgers was ****ing HEATED that Ty Montgomery was an idiot and fumbled that kickoff against the Rams which robbed Rodgers of the chance to use the final 2 minutes to go down the field and win the game. Next think you know Montgomery is a goner. Now I doubt Rodgers went and said "This guy goes" and management went "You're the boss, Aaron!" but I wouldn't be surprised if he had at least some input.

7 minutes ago, jjpomeroy said:

If Aaron Rodgers has so much power - explain Jordy Nelson?

Jordy Nelson (33 years old) signed a 2 year, $14,200,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including $13,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,100,000. In 2018, Nelson will earn a base salary of $3,400,000, a roster bonus of $3,468,750, a workout bonus of $100,000 and a incentive bonus of $400,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,368,750 and a dead cap value of $6,500,000.

Montgomery was traded because he defied the HC and it cost the team a game. Period. Rogers may have piled on but it was the HC who wanted him gone. Not sure Rogers has the juice to make personnel decisions. Dix has been a bit uneven in his play the last year or so after playing extermely well the first three years. You can hear in his interviews though that relationship was going south between him and the FO. Several of his teammates who he thought earned a contract at GB were let go. He mentioned Mica Hyde specially. Dix knew they would not resign him. I get the feeling that took some of the passion away from the game for him. For GB, the new GM is putting his signature on the team. Not sure it's a good one so far. But he is doing what he thinks is best. 

Ok, lets bring this back to us - here is our new set of Ss - Only thing I did not like is Dix forces a fumble at about the 4:48 mark, which is great. But the ball comes out and he is too busy celebrating to make a play. Fortunately for him his teammates got the ball. But I hate seeing that kind of celebration before the play is finished. In fairness i do not like that type of celebration until you win something - like the SB. But I understand that's just me getting old...  ?   The young guys use it as motivation I guess. Overall this is a great video. They are both play makers. 

If this has been posted already - just that much more fun.  

50 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If this has been posted already - just that much more fun.  

Thanks for posting this.  This is some exciting stuff.  You have to love the potential of this tandem in the context of a badass defense around them.  They'll be able to fly around with confidence, take aggressive angles to the ball, and go for big plays.  I love watching the passion that they can play with.  It's like watching a great college defense.  They play with joy.  I think they're going to have a great rapport.

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

I dunno. I think Rodgers may have a bit more clout than you might think, though not sure about on the defensive side of things. From what I read Rodgers was ****ing HEATED that Ty Montgomery was an idiot and fumbled that kickoff against the Rams which robbed Rodgers of the chance to use the final 2 minutes to go down the field and win the game. Next think you know Montgomery is a goner. Now I doubt Rodgers went and said "This guy goes" and management went "You're the boss, Aaron!" but I wouldn't be surprised if he had at least some input.

I think judging by the fact that Montgomery was already on the outside looking in, and then the bonehead play he made, that was probably the nail in the coffin for him.  Rodgers' knows he's always being watched and that he's the leader of that team, his reaction to that play in particular was more than enough to show his displeasure without saying it.  

I'd agree that Rodgers has some input, but who truly knows right lol?

21 minutes ago, JRobinson said:

I think judging by the fact that Montgomery was already on the outside looking in, and then the bonehead play he made, that was probably the nail in the coffin for him.  Rodgers' knows he's always being watched and that he's the leader of that team, his reaction to that play in particular was more than enough to show his displeasure without saying it.  

I'd agree that Rodgers has some input, but who truly knows right lol?

Yeah I think I probably didn't make my post clear enough before. When I say "input" by Rodgers I don't necessarily mean direct input as in him going to coaches and saying "I really don't think this guy should be on the team anymore, get rid of him" but more of an indirect input. He's basically the core of their entire team and if he's obviously not meshing with someone and is really unhappy with a guy (for understandable reasons, of course) that's probably something that the brass would take into account when deciding if a guy who's sort of on the cusp should be kept or just jettisoned. 

11 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Jordy Nelson (33 years old) signed a 2 year, $14,200,000 contract with the Oakland Raiders, including $13,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,100,000. In 2018, Nelson will earn a base salary of $3,400,000, a roster bonus of $3,468,750, a workout bonus of $100,000 and a incentive bonus of $400,000, while carrying a cap hit of $7,368,750 and a dead cap value of $6,500,000.

I understand the details- I was being a little sarcastic about Aaron Rodgers having such “powers/influence” over the GB front office.

2 hours ago, jjpomeroy said:

I understand the details- I was being a little sarcastic about Aaron Rodgers having such “powers/influence” over the GB front office.

Yeah I think the stat line for Nelson shows the Raiders way over paid for a WR that benefited from Rogers.  He's basically not worth that type of money.  

Archived