Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

8 minutes ago, Stadium-Armory said:

I'm glad to see the upward trajectory. 

But. The bar is so damn low, we're jumping for joy over a 5 catch 50 yard game. 

I'm not a believer. Yet.

Not for me.  Glad he pulled in all of his targets and had a good game yesterday, but I still don't think his play is anywhere close to what it should be for where he was drafted.  

42 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Not for me.  Glad he pulled in all of his targets and had a good game yesterday, but I still don't think his play is anywhere close to what it should be for where he was drafted.  

This must go both ways though, right? I don't know enough to know what percentage of blame goes on QB vs WR, but I know this:

Alex Smith only threw for 178 in AN ENTIRE GAME

Doctson had 50 of those.

Hard to do a whole lot more.

Doctson has a history of not producing for us, so I get the angst and frustration. On the flip side, Alex Smith went like 300 consecutive years without throwing a touchdown pass to a WR, and has a long history of not throwing to the outside guys in general. It's going to be VERY difficult for Doctson to produce in this offense. 

This offense is run by Smith.  That's the only reason why it sucks.  They traded a top 10 QB for a bottom 10, at best average QB.  It doesn't matter to me if he completes 60% of this check down throws.  It doesn't matter if he only throws 5-8 INTS the entire season because he's on pace for 14-20 TDs.  The offense is bad even with the offensive line (who the Redskins continually ignore).  They have an old QB, an ancient RB, no WR's...  Given all of the same, Cousins threw for 4k yards and 20+ TD's.  The only thing that's good about this team is the defense is looking decent and the Head coach who finds a way to get the most out of an awful team.

7 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

I think he might care, but he has zero talent. Never should have been an NFL player that’s why everyone was so shocked we drafted him in our first round because no other NFL team knew who he was. 

Cut him immediately. 

Before or after catching his first TD of the year on a fade route?

40 minutes ago, zskins said:

Before or after catching his first TD of the year on a fade route?

Before and after, because the guy catches one fade he is all the sudden forgiven for zero production his entire time here? 

No way! He is gonna have to do that about 10 more times this year for me to change my mind. Hope he is gone soon. 

That penalty on him was absolutely ludicrous. He spun the goddamn ball. We see more players do that every single week in the NFL that we can even count. And now suddenly it's a penalty?

Doctson had 2 BAD drops early on but he had some really nice grabs later including the TD.

22 hours ago, mistertim said:

That penalty on him was absolutely ludicrous. He spun the goddamn ball. We see more players do that every single week in the NFL that we can even count. And now suddenly it's a penalty?

Doctson had 2 BAD drops early on but he had some really nice grabs later including the TD.

I remember The league making a rule that spinning the ball is taunting only if directed at or around the area of an opponent. Doctson spun it on the falcons sideline (or right where two falcons defenders were at least). Not surprised that was a penalty. He was being stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I remember The league making a rule that spinning the ball is taunting only if directed at or around the area of an opponent. Doctson spun it on the falcons sideline (or right where two falcons defenders were at least). Not surprised that was a penalty. He was being stupid. 

Is that the same play where he was called for "taunting" ?

Because I remember a taunting call on him, but I don't remember the cameras showing exactly what he did.

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I'm insanely surprised that was called as a penalty. Guys do that literally multiple times every single week. In the middle of the field, near the sidelines, near opposing players, away from opposing players. It was ludicrous. I've never before seen that called without it being accompanied by the player also doing something else actually directed at the other team's bench, which Doctson didn't do.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe he's Amari Cooper.

A really talented WR who has the dropsies.

Cooper was a good enough WR to deal a #1 pick.

Weird thing is that usually guys who have drop issues in college carry them into the pros and guys who don't don't. One knock on Cooper coming out was that he sometimes had the dropsies and that stayed true in the NFL. That was never a knock on Doctson, in fact his great hands and leaping ability were considered his top assets. IIRC he had a crazy low number of drops that were attributed to him. We know he has good hands but it just seems like maybe he breaks his concentration too easily on more simple catches where he doesn't HAVE to be as focused as the ones where he has to contort his body, high point it, etc.

On 11/4/2018 at 2:03 PM, Hdf561 said:

I think he might care, but he has zero talent. Never should have been an NFL player that’s why everyone was so shocked we drafted him in our first round because no other NFL team knew who he was. 

Cut him immediately. 

Yup, Everyone was shocked, and no NFL Team knew who he was.  Here are a couple examples - should I find more?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/josh-doctson?id=2555343

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 1

SOURCES TELL US

"Pure technician. He's really good with those routes and he's the best at getting it up top. When he got hurt, TCU was done. They looked lost without him. He's a safe receiver for the first (round) and one of the only ones." -- AFC wide receivers coach

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/04/18/a-closer-look-at-josh-doctson-an-nfl-draft-prospect-the-redskins-could-select/?utm_term=.a0fad56f03f5

43 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/taunting.aspx

For clarification... or not...

Archived