Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Doctson even care?

petey hodge

56 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

He's seems more settled and is building something with Alex. These are big catches he's bringing in two weeks in a row. Its still paltry, but in the context of how limited we are throwing the ball, it's big. Kudos to him for continuing to grind. 

Yeah this is something I'm big on. I think he and Alex are trying to become something together, and I think its partially because Alex was relying on Thompson but then Thompson went down so Alex was forced to look elsewhere. And if defenses are so focused on taking Reed out of the game, then the guy who is listed as out #1 should be able to help him some. And Doctson has done just that. 

The next step will be breaking a tackle here or there and getting those 12 yarders into 25-35 yards. But you've got to walk before you can run

Does anyone still think he doesn't care?  He probably didn't care for the way he was being used, if anything.

If that first down signal he flashed didn't convince you, maybe a ball spin will do the trick.

I stand firm in saying the thread should be renamed to THE Josh Doctson Thread. @TK

I was a naysayer and I'm still cautious in my optimism but I will say that I liked the steps he took yesterday. He's good at positioning his body to shield the defender on those slant passes and his hands were good. 

And yes, I agree with others about his downfield blocking. Very good to see and critical in helping with the run game.

I'd like to think he is yet another beneficiary of the attitude and professionalism AP has brought to this organization.

It's not raining on his parade today. He had a solid game and is showing signs of rapid improvement in just 2 weeks.  He caught all thrown his way and lead our team in yards.  Jay told us he is much better than we had seen and he doesn't like to be wrong.  Young WRs often take time to find their place, in many ways. The big thing to me is it looks like his role has changed.  Gone is the outside / red zone fade only guy we affectionately called fiddy fiddy.  Suddenly, we see him using his body to be a possession WR, and catching everything. The talent is there to be a star. A kid scoring 6 TDs in his first proper season is nothing to brush aside. I feel like we went a decade+ without a WR getting 6 TD's. 

I still think younger players making sure they are healthy enough to play week to week, is a very underrated aspect of transitioning to the pro's.

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It's not raining on his parade today. He had a solid game and is showing signs of rapid improvement in just 2 weeks.  He caught all thrown his way and lead our team in yards.  Jay told us he is much better than we had seen and he doesn't like to be wrong.  Young WRs often take time to find their place, in many ways. The big thing to me is it looks like his role has changed.  Gone is the outside / red zone fade only guy we affectionately called fiddy fiddy.  Suddenly, we see him using his body to be a possession WR, and catching everything. The talent is there to be a star. A kid scoring 6 TDs in his first proper season is nothing to brush aside. I feel like we went a decade+ without a WR getting 6 TD's. 

I still think younger players making sure they are healthy enough to play week to week, is a very underrated aspect of transitioning to the pro's.

Alex needs to keep supporting him and building chemistry with him week to week. Hopefully, AP is in his ear as well.

13 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Alex needs to keep supporting him and building chemistry with him week to week. Hopefully, AP is in his ear as well.

Yep - and hope AP is in all ears at this point. Actually, everyone is seeing AP in action plain as day, and his actions are speaking louder than his words right now.

I thought it was telling that Jay appeared to come out passing yesterday. He knows damn well if AP ever gets stuffed, our goose is cooked. To do any damage this year, we need a viable passing game. Random NFL luck will dictate we are down a few scores, and we need to be able to have some successful passing games on our ledger to keep DCs and DBs honest when it comes time to pass. We need those games for Alex and the guys to build up rapport.  You can see it happening between Josh and Alex in plain sight.

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Yep - and hope AP is in all ears at this point. Actually, everyone is seeing AP in action plain as day, and his actions are speaking louder than his words right now.

I thought it was telling that Jay appeared to come out passing yesterday. He knows damn well if AP ever gets stuffed, our goose is cooked. To do any damage this year, we need a viable passing game. Random NFL luck will dictate we are down a few scores, and we need to be able to have some successful passing games on our ledger to keep DCs and DBs honest when it comes time to pass. We need those games for Alex and the guys to build up rapport.  You can see it happening between Josh and Alex in plain sight.

After AP’s first TD, Doc was blocking the CB in the end zone and was closest to AD.  He motioned to celebrate/high-five with AD, but Adrian turned his back and dissed him.  

I noticed that live... and again when I rewatched the game.

it was awkward....

anyone else see that?

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Does anyone still think he doesn't care?  He probably didn't care for the way he was being used, if anything.

If that first down signal he flashed didn't convince you, maybe a ball spin will do the trick.

I stand firm in saying the thread should be renamed to THE Josh Doctson Thread. @TK

The ball spin won me over. ;) And yes, I'm happy with what I'm seeing out of him. If, he can become a reliable position receiver than is a Red Zone threat, I'll be happy with him.  I'd pick up his option and keep him around.

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

At this point all we can hope for is that he's a decent possession WR that can give us a couple cheap years on a rookie contract. He's never really gonna be a star.

Agreed, but if he becomes more of a Red Zone target (I'm looking hard at you Alex Smith) I'm ok with this. If he can be a guy you can rely on for a 3rd down conversion, or a tough catch over the middle, I'd be ok with that. All teams need a reliable guy that maybe isn't a star, but really greases the wheels of the offense.

10 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

I still think we need to throw him a few back shoulder passes and jump balls down field.  I think this is where he will really excel if done properly. Just my 2 cents.

Remember the QB here. Anything questionable and Smith is unlikely to throw it.

But yeah, I'd like to see more of those, I just don't expect it.

10 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

After AP’s first TD, Doc was blocking the CB in the end zone and was closest to AD.  He motioned to celebrate/high-five with AD, but Adrian turned his back and dissed him.  

I noticed that live... and again when I rewatched the game.

it was awkward....

anyone else see that?

You might want to go to the highlight section on NFL.com and rewatch that in real speed and slow motion as it is shown. I didn't see Doc's hand come up to high five him. 

26 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Ok to the no high five part, but don’t you congratulate other people wearing your colors in the red zone?  And now could AD not see him?  He ran into the end zone and had Doc right there on his left?

If you look carefully you can see Doc maybe saying something to him like way to go dude and AP turns around and pats the DB on the head. Guess you were looking for Doc jumping up and down on AP instead. That is not Doc, at least not yet. He is still trying to fit in.....Or maybe he is just scared of AP. :D

5 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Nah, not looking for JD to do anything.  It was AD-AP’s reaction (or lack thereof towards Doc) that seemed awkward.

AP just got caught up in the moment and not dissing JD. Just a natural human reaction after his first passing TD in 5 years. I wouldn't worry about it. AP is all class and wouldn't' do that to anyone intentionally. 

Archived