Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pathetic crowds at home opener

skins2victory

Attendance has been way down this season league-wide, outside of a few of the usual suspects (NE, Pittsburgh, GB).

Having said that, the Redskins now are simply in the same situation that the Nats and Wiz are in, and that the Caps would be in if they had been consistently bad/mediocre in recent years. This is a transitory town with lots of residents who grew up rooting for other teams. The stands are full of "sports tourists" routing for their hometown team--which isn't the Redskins.

The Skins took an incredible situation and legacy and have trashed it ever since Joe Gibbs retired the first time.

I see what he's saying and I see what the rest of you are saying about how you don't want to get fooled again and how often you've seen mediocrity. I mean I haven't seen the Redskins win there since the Niners game last year (saw them lose to Vikings, Colts and Falcons) but I'm still contemplating going next week. :) 

Why do I do this? For love of the team. When they come out that tunnel with all that fire and you see Norman come out and he does bow and arrow I get tears in my eyes. I'm reminded of my love for this team I have followed for all my life. 

And then they go and lay and egg. But for that brief period leading up to the game I was never so proud to be a Redskins fan ever. I bleed B&G. 

It's hard to beat up too badly on Norman today, as his early INT set the pace for the defense today. BUt he needs to learn his team's history. This is the first time we've been 6-3 in ten years. A lot of pain and bad memories for Skins' fans, especially those of us who are old enough to remember the glory years, and to see it all fall apart since 1994. 

On 11/11/2018 at 6:11 PM, profusion said:

Attendance has been way down this season league-wide, outside of a few of the usual suspects (NE, Pittsburgh, GB).

Having said that, the Redskins now are simply in the same situation that the Nats and Wiz are in, and that the Caps would be in if they had been consistently bad/mediocre in recent years. This is a transitory town with lots of residents who grew up rooting for other teams. The stands are full of "sports tourists" routing for their hometown team--which isn't the Redskins.

The Skins took an incredible situation and legacy and have trashed it ever since Joe Gibbs retired the first time.

The Nats actually have really good fan support.

The transient town argument is bogus. Every big metropolitan city in the US is transient nowadays.

I thought the defense played OK today......aside from the phantom holding call at the end, not sure how Norman played overall.

But I think it is crazy how empty the club level is, particularly this season. Just for grins, I was checking the availability of tickets in a few club sections on Stubhub last week and there seemed very few. Today you look at those sections and there are tons and tons of empty seats. I seriously don't know what is going on. I know the prices the Skins charge for those seats is a non-starter for many, but are they even bothering to sell a lot of those by other methods, or have they just given up?

Think I mentioned it in another thread, but was interesting to hear the interview with Lafemina this morning and him expressing surprise about the lack of enthusiasm from the fans over this team so far this season.

But sitting in the lower level 200 section today was a treat. You could tell that a good number of those fans are regulars and that those seats experience little turnover. My only complaint was going to the DC sir fry concession stand with 30 seconds left in the first half. First time ever I went to a concession stand and there was absolutely nobody in line. But they did not have any soft drinks available...….boo!

Spent my Sunday:

-Doing laundry

-Watching King of the Hill reruns with my girlfriend

-Going to the Giant to get some groceries and lunch at the deli

-Practicing my shot at the bowling alley 

-Made breakfast for dinner with said girlfriend

Total cost: About $45 

Total distance traveled: About 7.5 miles

Total times I got angry over the 'Skins being the 'Skins: zero 

But yeah, gee whiz, feel just broken up about FedEx Field being a cauldron of apathy. Sorry about not helping out with that "homefield advantage" by spending time and money I don't really have. 

3 hours ago, hail2skins said:

I seriously don't know what is going on. I know the prices the Skins charge for those seats is a non-starter for many, but are they even bothering to sell a lot of those by other methods, or have they just given up?

Think I mentioned it in another thread, but was interesting to hear the interview with Lafemina this morning and him expressing surprise about the lack of enthusiasm from the fans over this team so far this season. 

It's still because the prices being charged don't match the actual market.   You look on Stubhub earlier in the week and tickets could be had in the low $40 range.   If you went to Ticketmaster at the same time and filter out the certified resellers,  it started at $70.  At the official price point,  the difference between upper levels and the corners of the lower level is trivial,  so if you're bargain hunting for tickets,  and assumingly only attend games sparingly, why wouldn't you pay that little extra for a better view? 

It's actually shocking to me that an executive couldn't diagnose that after 2-3 home games.  I know they can't change the prices in season,  but longterm they have to adjust to match what people will actually pay if you want sold out crowds.   It isn't rocket science.  And it has little to do with the on the field product.   

7 hours ago, megared said:

It's still because the prices being charged don't match the actual market.   You look on Stubhub earlier in the week and tickets could be had in the low $40 range.   If you went to Ticketmaster at the same time and filter out the certified resellers,  it started at $70.  At the official price point,  the difference between upper levels and the corners of the lower level is trivial,  so if you're bargain hunting for tickets,  and assumingly only attend games sparingly, why wouldn't you pay that little extra for a better view? 

It's actually shocking to me that an executive couldn't diagnose that after 2-3 home games.  I know they can't change the prices in season,  but longterm they have to adjust to match what people will actually pay if you want sold out crowds.   It isn't rocket science.  And it has little to do with the on the field product.   

They can't necessarily do that either. At no point can the secondary market price drop below the season ticket price, if you want to continue have season ticket holders. The price change would need to start with the regular admission season ticket holders. It'd have to be in concert with finding a way to get them in the hands of good fans. That is to say, fans who exhibit the desired behavior. And the secondary market, they should try very hard to destroy it. 

+1 to Hail2Skins. The 200 level was very good. 

19 minutes ago, turtle2328 said:

They can't necessarily do that either. At no point can the secondary market price drop below the season ticket price, if you want to continue have season ticket holders. The price change would need to start with the regular admission season ticket holders. It'd have to be in concert with finding a way to get them in the hands of good fans. That is to say, fans who exhibit the desired behavior. And the secondary market, they should try very hard to destroy it. 

+1 to Hail2Skins. The 200 level was very good. 

The only thing they've done to date is discontinuing the practice of dumping unsold tickets into the secondary market.  The second order of business should be to figure out why they were never selling in the first place, and fixing it.  In the end that will equate to lowering season ticket prices.  

They'll never be able to destroy the secondary market, or control the kind of fan that purchases season tickets.  If they're struggling to understand why people aren't renewing, the last thing you want to do is develop more stringent requirements of fans.

They need to be shifting to more flexible ticket sales to accommodate consumers' expectations,  and make it a more rewarding experience than dealing with the secondary market.   Why shouldn't someone be able to pick any number of games they'd like to attend which will then allow them to theoretically save money,  earn some kind of points, and get discounted concessions,  in one transaction?  You shouldn't have to sign up for 10 games to get that.  

What I don't understand is this team has been more competitive than it ever has in the last 25 years. This team looks like it is up and coming to me. I know we lost  some superstars last season, but we remain respectable in this league. We've been in the playoff hunt until the very end for the past 4 years.

12 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Spent my Sunday:

-Doing laundry

But yeah, gee whiz, feel just broken up about FedEx Field being a cauldron of apathy. Sorry about not helping out with that "homefield advantage" by spending time and money I don't really have. 

I can understand you not wanting to go to the game and spending a couple hundred dollars, but you didn’t even bother to watch on tv which is free? Sounds like you’re not even a fan anymore. 🤷‍♂️

49 minutes ago, GOSKINS_08 said:

I can understand you not wanting to go to the game and spending a couple hundred dollars, but you didn’t even bother to watch on tv which is free? Sounds like you’re not even a fan anymore. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I'd also be curious to see what the local TV ratings are for the Skins this season. I remember last season, I think the road game against the Chargers had a really poor viewing number (historically speaking) in the DC area.

I agree with Megared that the Skins are going to probably going to have to address that the product might be priced too high. Either that or remove more seats. But again, looking at the club level is stunning.  Yes, what the Redskins themselves charge for those seats is absurd. But the week before the game, I look at a particular section on Stubhub and see only 10 seats available in the section, and then go to the game and see, say in a section with 250-300 seats, that maybe 60 of them are occupied? What gives? Are the Skins even trying to sell these seats?

2 hours ago, mike42 said:

What I don't understand is this team has been more competitive than it ever has in the last 25 years. This team looks like it is up and coming to me. I know we lost  some superstars last season, but we remain respectable in this league. We've been in the playoff hunt until the very end for the past 4 years.

That is absolutely subject to debate, mainly because of the condition of our key personell on offense, and this is before our failing 34 year old franchise QB had a season ending injury.

Tell you what, Colt comes in and the offense starts to put up points, the narrative will slowly start to change to even if we don't have a future franchise QB there IS enough on offense to say we don't have to consider blowing up that entire side of the ball (which I was worried I myself was starting to head into the general direction of)

14 hours ago, thebluefood said:

Spent my Sunday:

-Doing laundry

That is odd. Not judging you at all, but it is odd to me. If you don't watch the games, period... then obviously you don't care anymore and aren't really a fan of the team. And that is fine-- totally your prerogative I wouldn't watch either if I didn't feel it was worth my time, money, or energy. But it is odd to me that you would skip watching the games and then still take the time to follow along on a message board. I promise I'm not trying to call you out or insinuate that you shouldn't be posting. Not the case at all. Just curious as to why you have lost interest to the point of not watching the games while still having interest to follow/post on the boards. 

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That is absolutely subject to debate, mainly because of the condition of our key personell on offense, and this is before our failing 34 year old franchise QB had a season ending injury.

I'm assuming you are referring to the injuries. However, this team was healthy going in the opener, with the exception of course losing Guice for the season....and we bring in a likely Hall of Famer (?) in AP to replace him. Team wins in dominating fashion on the road, albeit over a lesser opponent in AZ.  For the home opener, a game I think the fans should be jacked to attend after an entire offseason of no football, and we get a whopping 57K in paid attendance out there.

Think what Mike42 was trying to say is that the team has at least not been bottom barrel for the past several seasons, so you should expect more enthusiasm. Heck, even Lafemina said in the radio interview that he has been really surprised by the lack of buzz all year. So what is it? Losing Kirk pissed off people? Far less amount of cheap tickets available on secondary market? A combination?

I don't know, but all those empty seats in the middle and up top are a bad optic. I saw Norman said something about being impressed with the fan showing yesterday. Now, I don't normally sit in the 200s and did enjoy the buzz down there. And I may be wrong, but I doubt the atmosphere was much different yesterday, aside from the score being close, and thus the fans were into the game longer. There certainly were not more people there.

5 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I'm assuming you are referring to the injuries. However, this team was healthy going in the opener, with the exception of course losing Guice for the season....and we bring in a likely Hall of Famer (?) in AP to replace him. Team wins in dominating fashion on the road, albeit over a lesser opponent in AZ.  For the home opener, a game I think the fans should be jacked to attend after an entire offseason of no football, and we get a whopping 57K in paid attendance out there.

Think what Mike42 was trying to say is that the team has at least not been bottom barrel for the past several seasons, so you should expect more enthusiasm. Heck, even Lafemina said in the radio interview that he has been really surprised by the lack of buzz all year. So what is it? Losing Kirk pissed off people? Far less amount of cheap tickets available on secondary market? A combination?

I don't know, but all those empty seats in the middle and up top are a bad optic. I saw Norman said something about being impressed with the fan showing yesterday. Now, I don't normally sit in the 200s and did enjoy the buzz down there. And I may be wrong, but I doubt the atmosphere was much different yesterday, aside from the score being close, and thus the fans were into the game longer. There certainly were not more people there.

No, I'm talking about before the season even started.  Most people were lukewarm and trying to be hopeful at best with Alex, especially after how inept the passing game looked in August.  But we'd been calling about the number of stars we depended on that either would likely get injured or next meet expectations and for the most part we've all been right about pretty much all of it.  This whole season it feels like the fan base has been waiting for the rug to get ripped out from under us.

This is the first time we've seen a train like this not come to the station on time in regards to a bad idea crashing and burning.  Really do believe people were concerned about or decision to pin our hopes on a 34 year old QB and that just blew up in our face too. I wish it didn't look as empty as it has, but it feels like this whole thing finally came to a head, and as I've said, its going to take more then a 6-3 or 6-4 record to fix that.  

If we can get a home playoff game I expect it to be full to capacity, but I don't expect before then unless they stop teetering on the brink of destruction.  No one wants to pay to see this team get embarrassed at home (which they've already done twice), they are no 500 there.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If we can get a home playoff game I expect it to be full to capacity, but I don't expect before then unless they stop teetering on the brink of destruction.  No one wants to pay to see this team get embarrassed at home (which they've already done twice), they are no 500 there.

Unless we somehow wound up playing the Cowboys in a wild-card round game here, I don't expect it to be near capacity. The Dallas game seems to be a different animal in terms of the amount of cash people are willing to spend. And there were even plenty of empties in the upper deck for that game. I guess it would depend on how much the Skins would charge, but I'm not optimistic.

Just now, hail2skins said:

Unless we somehow wound up playing the Cowboys in a wild-card round game here, I don't expect it to be near capacity. The Dallas game seems to be a different animal in terms of the amount of cash people are willing to spend. And there were even plenty of empties in the upper deck for that game. I guess it would depend on how much the Skins would charge, but I'm not optimistic.

It will be expensive as hell, but any indication of our last two home playoff games it will be rocking.  Besides, its going to be against the Vikings anyway, I'd pay money to see that : )

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It will be expensive as hell, but any indication of our last two home playoff games it will be rocking.  Besides, its going to be against the Vikings anyway, I'd pay money to see that : )

Now you're right, the Kirk factor might bring in more folks..........

And I agree that the Seattle and Green Bay playoff games were rocking (although Detroit after 1999 was the best, IMO). But things just seem to have changed to the point where I'm not even sure a first-round playoff game absent a compelling opposition storyline is going to bring 'em in.

Archived